Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

That definitely is a way fairer system that better reflects things.

And look at that, even with that system there's still a pretty close run of things for the final playoff spot with 3 teams within 3 points....exactly like it is now. All that changes is which teams are fighting for it. 

You don't need to artificially manufacture parity. It already exists.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-point system is what i'd like to see.

3 points regulation win

2 points OT win

1 point OT loss

0 points regulation loss

If regulation wins rewarded 3-points then you'd still have SJ, COL, and DAL in a playoff race.  The league would still have it's exciting race down the stretch.

Your argument loses all credibility when you say that it doesn't matter whether we play Edmonton or LA.  Obviously either team could beat us.  Obviously we have to win enough games to get into the playoffs.  But it is obviously way easier to beat Edmonton.  Knowing that we need to win 7 games (give or take) out of our next 11, it is insane to say that it wouldn't make a difference if all 11 games were against Chicago, St Louis and Anaheim, instead of being against Edmonton, Phoenix, and Toronto.

Well, that's pretty grandiose of you.

I also stated, in closing that line, is we don't have to back into anything.

I truly believe we are playing that way.

Level of competition is going to come. Do I care if it's now or later? No, I don't.

I'd just as soon they tooth and nail and claw their way through everything you can throw at them. Because when you get there, it's going to matter.

If there's going to be a shocker this year, we're looking like the squad imho. Screw the high road and finding solace in it.

Doesn't matter, let's do this thing lol.

St. Louis is probably scared of us. But should probably me more scared of the fact they may wind up facing Minny in the first round.

Who is everyone rooting for in LA vs. VAN. I'm kinda thinking LA because then we'd be a point ahead of both and then they could duke it out for 3rd vs. 9th while we hold second.

I think the fairest system is wins and losses and maybe ties. A game ends, the game ends, no winner. Winners in regular time are for the playoffs. 

I'd prefer a strictly wins/losses system, but I don't mind ties.

Same here.

I liked when playing 0.500 + meant actually winning over 1/2 your games.

Same here.

I liked when playing 0.500 + meant actually winning over 1/2 your games.

Ties in the NHL had the same effect on the game as OT/SO does today. You had teams playing safe to keep from losing the point in the 3rd. A team could (in theory) get 82 points and never actually win a game.

I hate the 3 point games, though. Wish there was a way to eliminate them entirely.

I hate the three point games too. Even if it counts against the Flames.

I would love to see 2pts for regulation or OT win, 1pt for shootout win, 0pts for losing in anyway.

Hockey is a team game and a shoot out win should be less meaningful then regulation or OT and losses should not be rewarded at all.

That being said I think we will make it this year, we may not go far but it would be great for the kids to get that taste of playoff hockey in their veins for when we are really ready to win.

I hate the three point games too. Even if it counts against the Flames.

I would love to see 2pts for regulation or OT win, 1pt for shootout win, 0 pts for losing in anyway.

Hockey is a team game and a shoot out win should be less meaningful then regulation or OT and losses should not be rewarded at all.

That being said I think we will make it this year, we may not go far but it would be great for the kids to get that taste of playoff hockey in their veins for when we are really ready to win.

I prefer that to the current system where some games go 2-0 for clean wins & others have the winner getting the same 2 but the loser still being rewarded.

Not surprising in a league that rewards losing by rewarding those best @ that with the chance to select what is assumed to be the best of that years draftable youth.

**************************************************************************************

I may be old fashioned but I still see the goal of competing to be exactly that & striving to win.

Lets just hope the NHL does right with the changing of the lottery system in the future. I cant stand the whole rewarding failure due to the draft either.  I hope the lottery changes to give say the bottom 6 teams the same chance at #1 rather then just the bottom two. This would at least maybe help out teams that are just bad and losing rather then helping a team that wants to take advantage of the system.

Ottawa was all but written off a few short weeks ago with Florida being the team with a chance.

Amazing what an awesome streak can do if you hang around long enough.

2nd or 3rd Pacific & both WC's still in play for Calgary. We need a winning streak now!

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-03

Ottawa was all but written off a few short weeks ago with Florida being the team with a chance.

2nd or 3rd Pacific & both WC's still in play for Calgary. We need a winning streak now!

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0332412

Sooooo tight. The last 10-11 games are going to be so long and so hard to keep from going crazy.

The best idea for the lottery would be to give every team that doesn't make the playoffs (regardless of by how much) an equal chance to land the #1 draft pick.

I still think the lottery should be weighted backwards in the sense that the first balls out represent the team that will pick last to pick and the very last ball picks first overall. This way, they can televise the event live and have more suspense. 

They can use two lotteries. They can weight the balls the same for the playoff teams as they do the non playoff teams.

I think it's unfair that a team makes a miracle run to the finals and lose then have to pick 29th overall. They can just go with how they're ranked going into the playoffs. 

Or maybe they can weight the top 5 picks all the same and that way the five worst teams in the league have an equal chance at drafting first overall. 

If the team that drafted 1st was penalized by picking 30th the following (afterall, that superstar they tanked for should make them competitive) it should put a stop to tanking.

Hard to trade your best to tank & get = back over 1 summer.

:)

At first, I read your post to mean first overall drafts 30th overall in the 2nd round… 

ANother idea could be, they reverse the order in each round like in pool drafts, or just do that for the non playoff teams. 

I think that non-playoff teams should still get a chance at improving their teams. But by giving most teams out of the playoffs a better chance at winning makes sense. 

If we put all of the teams in the lottery, I still think the balls should be weighted and the likelihood of moving up or down still is there. Like if the Flames made the playoffs, we had a chance at moving up by some spots. 

I don't know how they're making the cap work but LA recalled Mike Richards to help them as they begin a road trip that sees them face NJ, NYR, NYI, Minny & Chicago.

They're going hard after that last spot be it Pacific or wild card.

There is always going to be a weighted lottery in a league that values parity. That said, there needs to be an anti tanking incentive as well. The changes taking place over the next two drafts is a start. I don't know if it's enough. But it's a start.

But that's the irony of it.  A non-weighted lottery will create parity amongst the basement teams.  It doesn't encourage teams to be sellers at the TDL for draft picks.  Every team will still be trying to win to the very last game of the season because there's no incentive to tank whatsoever.

That's exactly why I want them to draw all of the balls out and not just the one that makes the 1st overall pick. Leaving the rest of the ranks staying the way they were doesn't make sense because then it's not a full lottery. There's only one winner. It would be cool to see more than one team move up in the lottery. 

Then like Peeps said, there's no incentive to tank. 

Even if they weigh the balls, they can create more parity with the weights so that they all have a chance at #1.

But that's the irony of it. A non-weighted lottery will create parity amongst the basement teams. It doesn't encourage teams to be sellers at the TDL for draft picks. Every team will still be trying to win to the very last game of the season because there's no incentive to tank whatsoever.

You are the one constantly talking about the value of a top 3 pick. If the poor teams get them they become better teams. Or at least have the opportunity to be better teams.

If the top picks go to good teams the rich get richer and the poor stay poor. The NHL won't let that fly.

I like having the bottom 5 picks being up for the lottery. I like that they have opened the lottery to all non playoff teams. I like that they flattened the lottery odds (I would like them even flatter).

But I doubt you are ever going to see a flat lottery that includes the playoff teams. And I don't think you should because that puts too much power to random chance.

I don't know how they're making the cap work but LA recalled Mike Richards to help them as they begin a road trip that sees them face NJ, NYR, NYI, Minny & Chicago.

They're going hard after that last spot be it Pacific or wild card.

You need to check your math. The numbers don't add up.

Archived