Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vancouver and Minnesota probably aren't dropping below 500 for the rest of the season. Unless a trailer goes on a run or Vancouver / Minnesota suffers a bad losing streak it is LA, Winnipeg, and Calgary slugging it out for two spots.

My guess is Winnipeg is the team to miss out. But Calgary has to start winning these games against non playoff teams.

Colorado is starting to look like a playoff team. Look like are the key words. They played us tough. Other lines stepped up as they concentrated on stopping the Monahan line.

Too bad Ramo let in that Tanguay goal. That one shouldn't have gone in.

Oh well, reboot and let's get back at er

Colorado is starting to look like a playoff team. Look like are the key words. They played us tough. Other lines stepped up as they concentrated on stopping the Monahan line.

The Flames are destined to lose some games even if we play at the required pace to reach the 95-97 points mark. It makes little difference at this time which of those game we lose however.....

I think most people assumed that we would win last night because the Av's are below everyone else in the immediate running for the last playoff spots. They are riding a hot goaltender and it was the second game of a back to back with travel / customs..........

Last nights game is not an indicator of what we are. The team was very flat and our usual good player's were below average. Colorado is not going to make it, either is Dallas.  The Flames destiny is on the team is self. I hate excuses and have never rely on other to falter to succeed. I am with the motto that Hartley has started this season, " Earned never given" needs to apply to the playoff push as well.

COL needs to go 10-3 to reach the minimum. That is possible but unlikely. They only won last night because we allowed them to clutch and hack our stars without any pushback.

14 points needed to get to 95. 7 wins. We can do this.

Vancouver and Minnesota probably aren't dropping below 500 for the rest of the season. Unless a trailer goes on a run or Vancouver / Minnesota suffers a bad losing streak it is LA, Winnipeg, and Calgary slugging it out for two spots.

My guess is Winnipeg is the team to miss out. But Calgary has to start winning these games against non playoff teams.

I'm hoping that Winnipeg can knock out LA, but that is right now about how things look baring a collapse by one of the five teams.

I figure our best bet is to maintain 1 of the 3 top berths in the Pacific (2nd if possible to make Vancouver the vulnerable 1 to be overtaken by LA).

Then we can let the others fight it out for 3rd in division & the 2 wild cards.

That's ideally. It wouldn't be easy but nothing about this season has been.

Like the Jets we've been playing playoff hockey for a while. Surviving through injuries when against the odds.

LA coasted but kicked it up a notch when needed so the Kings are already in playoff mode while likely having the best well of Black Aces in the league when the real season starts.

Minny has been on a run but are an injury away from dropping like a stone (Suter [29+ minutes} or Dubnyk ).

Not sure about the Orca. Will they fade in the stretch or wait until playoffs? Without the crowd pressure due to the President's Cup expectations they might be more dangerous.

Lord Stanley rejected the Maple Leafs advances & put them back into the friend zone tonight.

A very old friend I might add as their last successful rendezvous was 48 years ago.

Minnesota & Vancouver starting to distance themselves from the Flames putting 2nd Pacific or 1st WC in jeopardy.

It now is starting to look like a battle for 3rd Pacific with Los Angeles or for 2WC with Winnipeg.

5 team - 4 spots. Still quite possible to catch VAN or LAK though. SJS a distant chance.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0330694

I will look back to that 10 game losing streak and I also think it will serve as a good lesson for our young players - the grueling NHL season just does not allow for any sort of significant losing streak. 

The Blues are top tier and I think this is just a reminder of that. The boys are still in it but they certainly didn't get any help from other teams last night. 

It very well may come down to those two final games against the Jets and Kings... 

Fear not Flames faithful. The prize is in sight, and losing to the Blues is not the end of the world. We need to make up for the loss to COL by beating the rest of the teams we are supposed to beat (Flyers, BJ's, COL, Stars, Oilers and Coyoyes) and beating one or more against the others (LA, Blues, Jets, Preds, Minnie Mouse).

I will look back to that 10 game losing streak and I also think it will serve as a good lesson for our young players - the grueling NHL season just does not allow for any sort of significant losing streak. 

The Blues are top tier and I think this is just a reminder of that. The boys are still in it but they certainly didn't get any help from other teams last night. 

It very well may come down to those two final games against the Jets and Kings...

I think so too. I just hope we don't falter before then and keep these two games as meaningful.

Fear not Flames faithful. The prize is in sight, and losing to the Blues is not the end of the world. We need to make up for the loss to COL by beating the rest of the teams we are supposed to beat (Flyers, BJ's, COL, Stars, Oilers and Coyoyes) and beating one or more against the others (LA, Blues, Jets, Preds, Minnie Mouse).

I can see us doing this easily. well not easily just with our usual hard work and determination.

We can do it, but we are going to need a game or two of help on the OOTSB to garuntee things.

Can't afford any more colorado-style losses.

lets simmer down and be fair. That game was the second game of a back to back we had to travel late at night to get to. Add to that they have less oxygen and play at a higher altitude .... well we fell a bit short. We only have one more back to back on our remaining sched, 29th-30th.

We will get our chance at revenge with Colorado on the 23rd. Not only will we knock them out of any hope of contention but it will be a glorious win at our home for our fans.....

We will squash them, we will show them no mercy......

3001.jpg

We shall eat their young.

We shouldn't be playing hockey that matters, by all accounts.

Yet here we are, and we are proud, let alone shocked.

We are devil may care, let's do this thing.

I am over the moon. There isn't a formula.

We weren't horrible vs St Loo, get over it. A couple of bounces, it's a different game.

No hanging heads, we'll get 'em next time.

Hockey that matters. Wow. How unexpected. Bets off.

Go Flames.

*edit*

After re-reading my post, I should add, for all these guys have done for us this year, lets get on the happy train, come what may.

If you're an "observer", get down off your high horse and have fun with it.

We are likely the most entertaining team in the league.

Let's treat it as such.

I smell a run, stop pulling back.

Whoever gets Connor MacDavid or Jack Eichel, I will say this,

We will kick their butts for years to come, so congratulations anyways.

Flames, baby, Flames. She ain't over. Let's amplify the cheers for what's gone on this year.

They've done us proud, they need us now!

lets simmer down and be fair. That game was the second game of a back to back we had to travel late at night to get to. Add to that they have less oxygen and play at a higher altitude .... well we fell a bit short. We only have one more back to back on our remaining sched, 29th-30th.

was it a tough game? Absolutely.

was it against a team we should be beating at this time of year? Yes.

Are we currently in a playoff spot? No.

LA got a loser point tonight so we're out of contention with equal games played. 1 point behind both LA and Colorado with 12 games left each.

Not out of reach, but now starting to need help to get back in.

was it a tough game? Absolutely.

was it against a team we should be beating at this time of year? Yes.

Are we currently in a playoff spot? No.

LA got a loser point tonight so we're out of contention with equal games played. 1 point behind both LA and Colorado with 12 games left each.

Not out of reach, but now starting to need help to get back in.

Not that dire a situation that we need help getting in the playoffs. We still have games against teams on the outside looking in. Dangerous, but we have won a lot of these games this season. Any night that the OOT scoreboard helps us is great, but we just need to focus on winning 7 games. VAN will have a hard time maintaining their wins, since they are getting older and you can only rely on Lack luck for so long. The Jets will fight to the end, but will likely not have the bodies available. Minnie has been a big surprise, but can they sustain that torrid winning pace? LA looks good some nights, but Quick is on the verge of a meltdown. He is going to cost them wins with his temper.

Some teams give us trouble no matter how we play (St.Lou, ANA, Pitts). I don't look at a loss to those teams as a sign we will fail.

Not that dire a situation that we need help getting in the playoffs. We still have games against teams on the outside looking in. Dangerous, but we have won a lot of these games this season. Any night that the OOT scoreboard helps us is great, but we just need to focus on winning 7 games. VAN will have a hard time maintaining their wins, since they are getting older and you can only rely on Lack luck for so long. The Jets will fight to the end, but will likely not have the bodies available. Minnie has been a big surprise, but can they sustain that torrid winning pace? LA looks good some nights, but Quick is on the verge of a meltdown. He is going to cost them wins with his temper.

Some teams give us trouble no matter how we play (St.Lou, ANA, Pitts). I don't look at a loss to those teams as a sign we will fail.

As soon as we're behind we need help.

We need to win 7 or 8 more games.

If WPG or LAK win the same number of games, we do not make the playoffs.

So we either have to win 8 or 9 (depending what the final point cutoff is), or rely on one of them taking a couple extra losses.

As soon as we're behind we need help.

We need to win 7 or 8 more games.

If WPG or LAK win the same number of games, we do not make the playoffs.

So we either have to win 8 or 9 (depending what the final point cutoff is), or rely on one of them taking a couple extra losses.

We win the same number as LA or WPG, we win based on tie-breaker. LA has 32 ROW to our 34, and WPG only has 29. We just need equal points and more ROW. Three teams playing for two spots.  

travel_dude, on 19 Mar 2015 - 08:05, said:

Hmmm.. Are the Cancuks aging at a greater rate than other teams in the league? Oh dear... this is bad.

Archived