Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a Bit premature.  But then, it's not.  It's still a rebuilding year and a good one at that.

Next year, we will be a Force.

FIviVii.jpg

Here is another one Sheri.  We just had 3 losses in 4 games and four games remaining on that 7 game road trip last month.  Grover only comes out when we lose, never when we win.

Finally the OOT score board is somewhat beneficial to us:
- Nucks lose & open the door to potentially overtaking them & taking 2nd in Pacific. Still only 1 pt back.
- Jet lose & open the door to a possible wild card playoff spot if we take it. We have a 1 pt + 1 GIH advantage.

The not so beneficial:
- Kings win in regulation. Despite being our greatest threat right now, someone had to lose & my preferred choice was the Nucks in regulation. We still have a slight ROW advantage.
- Sharks win. A lesser threat. We still have a game in hand & 3 pts on them.
- Stars & Avalanche win...hmmm...whatever. Still longshots.

RIP Coyotes. A high seed in the draft lottery awaits you.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0328811

Finally the OOT score board is somewhat beneficial to us:

- Nucks lose & open the door to potentially overtaking them & taking 2nd in Pacific. Still only 1 pt back.

- Jet lose & open the door to a possible wild card playoff spot if we take it. We have a 1 pt + 1 GIH advantage.

The not so beneficial:

- Kings win in regulation. Despite being our greatest threat right now, someone had to lose & my preferred choice was the Nucks in regulation. We still have a slight ROW advantage.

- Sharks win. A lesser threat. We still have a game in hand & 3 pts on them.

- Stars & Avalanche win...hmmm...whatever. Still longshots.

RIP Coyotes. A high seed in the draft lottery awaits you.

2014-15%20Playoff%20Projection%202015-0328811

Today, I'm enjoying this portion of the mathematical quagmire.   :)

Interesting stat from what they had to say on the Fan960 today:

2-5-0 in first games of back-to-backs.

6-1-1 in the second of the back-to-backs.

That second game is hard to get that win. It's about rebounding, and it mimics in-game situations when down, they get right back up. When you take the 8 game losing streak, they've been relatively resilient. 

This team is for real. I haven't seen the Flames with this much desire to win since the 80's.  Even with a 10 gm losing streak, and on the 2nd yr of a rebuild, they still are definetly going to make the playoffs. Kudos to Hartly and all the players.  Looking to see a playoff game with the Flames in for the first time in a long time.  Living in B.C. , I am surrounded by Cansuck fans and I had a verry enjoyable time watching Flames and Cansucks games this yr.  Hoping to win the bet I have with my diehard Cansucks friend as to who will finish higher in reg. season.   Gooooooooo   FLAMESSSSSSS....

Yeah, but that's not Grover.  That's Oscar the Grouch.

This.  

I'm sad for your childhood, Cheersman...  :-)

Oscar the Grouch?  Well who the heck is Grover?  The Cookie Monster used to be one of my favorites, please tell me he’s real and not a figment of my imagination.  LOL!

For those who haven't been paying attention (all one of you) In 6 games this month we are 5-0-1 with 28 goals, averaging almost 5 per game.

That's pretty impressive.

The only bad news is we've surrendered 18 (or 3 per game). I'm glad for the scoring outbreak and would love to see it continue, but we're going to have to work on our defence a little.

For those who haven't been paying attention (all one of you) In 6 games this month we are 5-0-1 with 28 goals, averaging almost 5 per game.

The only bad news is we've surrendered 18 (or 3 per game). I'm glad for the scoring outbreak and would love to see it continue, but we're going to have to work on our defence a little.

I am not going to get all excited on a 6 game span for allowing an avg 3 goals per game. Especially when it is the team adjusting for the loss of our captain and best defenceman.

Add to that the most of those teams we played are top teams who tend to score a fair amount, I'll give them a pass for now...

I'm not panicking either. Just pointing out that there is one area that isn't perfect.

The Flames haven't been perfect all season, that's kind of their calling card.  They don't lead in the stats that most find important.  They don't do well in the advanced stats.  They dig themselves a hole just so they can climb back out of it again, not just on a per-game basis, but I'm thinking of the whole 8-game losing streak too.

They're not perfect by a long shot.  They do a lot of things wrong, but the two things they do right is win and never give up.  And boy does that make them exciting.

But you're right.  No reason to panic.  This is their M.O.

Giordano got hurt. The Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler line turned it up. The Flames have found ways to compensate all season (aka find a way Flames.) This is just another example.

Giordano got hurt. The Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler line turned it up. The Flames have found ways to compensate all season (aka find a way Flames.) This is just another example.

The entire season is full of these examples of stepping up:

Backlund injured, Monahan steps up as shut-down center

Raymond injured, Johnny becomes the top scoring LW

Ramo injured, Ortio comes in and wins 4/5 games

Stajan injured, Jooris provides scoring

GlenX injured, Bouma replaces his offence on the 2nd line

Gio out, the whole teams steps it up for him.

Hartley delayed it as long as possible, but upgraded the Johnny-Huds line with Monahan, and they have been lights-out.

Second end of a tough back-to-back with the international travel. Unfortunate loss tonight, but still one point back of Vancouver (them with game in hand), and two behind Minny.

Winnipeg wins and LA loses bumping them out of the playoffs (and still 2 points behind us w/o tiebreaker, but game in hand).

Not a perfect night, but not a horrible one.

Though that 3 goals against per game is starting to bite us when our scorers are tired....

Second end of a tough back-to-back with the international travel. Unfortunate loss tonight, but still one point back of Vancouver (tied in GP), and two behind Minny with game in hand.

Winnipeg wins and LA loses bumping them out of the playoffs (and still 2 points behind us w/o tiebreaker, but game in hand).

Not a perfect night, but not a horrible one.

Though that 3 goals against per game is starting to bite us when our scorers are tired....

We're tied with Minny in GPs and Van has a game in hand.  

Archived