Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

I'll cheer for them to win .. just enough so they end up in like 4th or 5th slot and then I'll cheer for a  low odds team to win the lotto and bypass them.

I'd rather they did not pick in top 5 spots at all......

Here here....Can't stand the Oilers, to see the them not is in the McDavid lottery would be perfect. As I agree that top picks are to be used to improve your club, the idiots that run the ship should not be allow a top pick ever again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me, if we went to the proposed new point system where every game is 3 pts;

3 pt regulation win, 2 pt overtime win, and 1 pt tie then some teams will be out of it even 20 games sooner than this year.  We don’t want teams out of it at the half, that’s not good business.

From expirience in Germany, this is not true.

Right now it is difficult to come from behind, because some games are worth 3 point games but you can only earn 2 points to catch up, even with a regulation win. If you are in a playoff race, with 3 points for the regulation win, you lose a point if the game goes to OT.

WPG won. 

VAN won.

And it looks like LAK will win unless TBL scores 2 in the final 9 minutes.

Man. OOT scoreboard hates us right now.

At least we jump the sharks into 3rd.

At least Minnesota vs. Vancouver wasn't a 3-point game.

Darn Oilers. They had the lead three times in their game, and couldn't pull of the win, or even limit Winnepeg to 1 point in OT. You can't trust those bums to do anything right...

Darn Oilers. They had the lead three times in their game, and couldn't pull of the win, or even limit Winnepeg to 1 point in OT. You can't trust those bums to do anything right...

When I pick them to lose(most games) they disappoint their fans. When I pick them to win... (beat a team we are fighting for playoff spot) they often disappoint me.... 

I have been in "show me you are all that mode" with Oiler for 2 year now.. anything else is just press or hype...

Silver linings abound eh?  I know.

I'm still miffed the OOT is trending the way it has been.  I would love to see a collapse at least a few times with LAK, VAN, and MIN.  Maybe even PEG.  One thing for sure, we can always count on the Sharks to flounder out.  Hoping their trend continues.

I'm still miffed the OOT is trending the way it has been.  I would love to see a collapse at least a few times with LAK, VAN, and MIN.  Maybe even PEG.  One thing for sure, we can always count on the Sharks to flounder out.  Hoping their trend continues.

I like to use Team +diff to make these calls on who should be in the playoffs.

4d8afe2bee89163a202cd8873c14562d.png

It used to be +25 Diff was a goal to ensure you would make the playoffs but lately there always seems to be 1 or 2 teams that makes it with less.

So judging by the chart today it appears that Sharks are the team on way out... Ducks would be the one team who breaks the mold they are not going to drop off...

I like to use Team +diff to make these calls on who should be in the playoffs.

4d8afe2bee89163a202cd8873c14562d.png

It used to be +25 Diff was a goal to ensure you would make the playoffs but lately there always seems to be 1 or 2 teams that makes it with less.

So judging by the chart today it appears that Sharks are the team on way out... Ducks would be the one team who breaks the mold they are not going to drop off...

Yeah, Ducks are just too strong.  However, in my own thinking throughout this post-christmas run, I've always thought the Jets are unsustainable in their comebacks and playoff hopes. Same with VAN.

Though, most the league and stats geeks have cried that about Calgary all year long.

Cheering for Edmonton to win so they get a worse draft pick is like cheering for Calgary to lose to get a better draft pick.  I can't do it.  

Don't get me wrong, when the Oilers lose and the Flames come back to win... AGAIN...

It is a good day in Flames country.

Anytime the Flames can get "lucky" (roflmao) and maintain the unsustainable (57 games strong now) is also a good day for Flames Fans...

VAN is trending downwards; yes they can beat some teams, but look ou for the Miller collapse.

MIN is riding luck and confidence. They will regress shortly.

LA is hard to say; just when they appear out, they pull back in. Quick is key to their game, and if he loses it like he did against us, they are toast.

WPG is riding the new guys, so when they remember wheere they came from, they will start falling off.

Its really hard to say who's going which way now.

All 6 teams have the potential to win at the rate required to make the playoffs. All 6 have shown weaknesses at some point through the year that could lead to a complete collapse.  (or at least enough of one to take them out of the race)

Looking at ROW and goal differentials, VAN and CAL are in the best shape to make the playoffs. WPG also has a fairly large lead for the second wild-card over those chasing a spot.

Looks like there might be 3 Canadian teams make it in the west this year which would be awesome.

I think the real race is between the Sharks, Kings and Wild for the last spot now. Obviously we can't let our guard down and have to keep winning, but I think only one of those three make it.

No kidding!

4 look like locks but 6 teams in tight for the other 4 spots. Should be nail biters to the very end.

Who woulda thunk it?  The Flames contending for 2nd in the West?!?

What I find remarkable is the ability to stay in games, no matter who they play.  Sure, we got whooped by PITTS, but that was as much a bad game by us as a good game by them.  In some ways, it reminds me a bit of how the Kings were able to overcome losses and battle back to win series after series.

Buckle up kiddies. The next 8 weeks are going to be one wild ride. B)

2014-15PlayoffProjection2015-02-16_zpsb8

Thank you Pyro for the charts! I see a flaw in your system though. Nothing major but it has bugged me every time I look at one of these.

Why the Nuck love? Even when we were ahead of them, Van showed more projected points than us. I realize this is based on GP and them having either 1 or 2 games in hand on us, but as history has shown, games in hand rarely ever equate to guaranteed points or even projected points.

It is always harder to climb over a team ahead of you, but also games in hand especially Canuck games in hand seem to evaporate into thin air.

Just my thoughts. I know.. homer glasses are getting thicker but I really do like the charts.  :wub:

Thank you Pyro for the charts! I see a flaw in your system though. Nothing major but it has bugged me every time I look at one of these.

Why the Nuck love? Even when we were ahead of them, Van showed more projected points than us. I realize this is based on GP and them having either 1 or 2 games in hand on us, but as history has shown, games in hand rarely ever equate to guaranteed points or even projected points.

It is always harder to climb over a team ahead of you, but also games in hand especially Canuck games in hand seem to evaporate into thin air.

Just my thoughts. I know.. homer glasses are getting thicker but I really do like the charts.  :wub:

Sheri, I will jump in to defend the charts, as they are stickly numerical projections. The Nucks have more points in few games played. Projecting them to finish with 98 points is just .598 x 82 games x 2 points. It doesn't predict whether they will actually win any of the games in hand, only that if they won the exact same number of games over the remainder of the season, they would end with 98.

BTW, I actually meant contending for 2nd in the Pacific, not West. We would be very lucky to finish 3rd in the West, more likely have a chance to finish 4th (home ice baby). :)

BTW, I actually meant contending for 2nd in the Pacific, not West. We would be very lucky to finish 3rd in the West, more likely have a chance to finish 4th (home ice baby). :)

We don't need top 4 for home ice in the first round, just second in the pacific (which is much more likely than catching Chicago for 4th in the west). Under the new playoff format, second in the pacific hosts third in the pacific. We have a very real chance of pulling that off.

Sheri, I will jump in to defend the charts, as they are stickly numerical projections. The Nucks have more points in few games played. Projecting them to finish with 98 points is just .598 x 82 games x 2 points. It doesn't predict whether they will actually win any of the games in hand, only that if they won the exact same number of games over the remainder of the season, they would end with 98.

True enough.

It's not Orca love but rather the way current wining % works out. I'm pretty sure if Pyro could he'd have the Canucks @ 0.00001% of being in the playoffs.

I lost position/% on the OOT scoreboard but am totally sure Pyro runs his charts to reflex the real chances (although he might said a word or 2 he didn't learn in Sunday School when the results are calculated).

To jump ahead of the Orca on probabilities we'll have to do it the way we've done everything this year. Playing above the rest of the hockey worlds expectations.

Nashville knocked off the sharks for us handily.

But that's a scary team they have before the trade. They're definitely going for the cup this year.

Going on a slightly different route, who would we not want to match up against in the first round? From worst to best.

1. Nashville: As said above, Nashville is good. They have probably the best D-core in the NHL, a good goaltender who is playing well this year, and they can (finally) score enough to be an offensive threat. We still get to play them before the playoffs, so my opinion may change if we do well.

2. Anaheim: haven't won in their building in a decade. 'Nough said. We do have Hiller though who would love to show the Ducks in the Playoffs that they made a big mistake benching him then letting him go. For that reason, they are not #1.

3. Chicago: We were badly outshot and they have done well in recent years.

4. St. Louis: They're a good team but they haven't done well in the playoffs. More observation nessisary.

5. LA: Yes, the Kings have won 2 time in the past 3 years. Yes, they are considered to be built for the playoffs. We have beaten them 4 times this year though. The one time we lost, we were dominated I grant you, but this is not the same team that won the cup. They lack Voynov, they are tired from so many deep runs, Quick has been lacking. They are still scary, but less so to the Flames.

6. We aren't playing Winnipeg, but I wouldn't care. Neutral.

7. Vancouver: Typically I wouldn't like this, but we've beaten them twice already, once in a close match.

8. SJS: We've dominated them, we can again. They are more fragile this year.

That's pretty much how I'd rank them as well. Except we have won both games we played against Nashville so far this year. Both have been 1 goal games admittedly, but they are wins.

I'd rank Anaheim as the team I'd least like to face as they WILL have home-ice advantage, and we will die in their building.

I know, but that D-core man. With our forwards, could we penetrate? Can't win if you never score. Our first games was a shootout, so not much can be said since no shootout wins in the dance. First game, Brodie and Gio were our only goal scorers. Second game was Mony, Johnny, Hudler, and Brodie. Only one line (that is together now) had goals for the F's. I had forgotten we won two games against them (though, I'm not sure I should count the shootout victory in anything but the standings). Like I said, let's see how we do against them now that they are even better (as are we). #1 and #2 could change.

Archived