Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gives us even more incentive to beat the Orca Invin.

I just watched the Jets game. Amazed how much & @ what times Maurice is playing the 2 new guys. Both used in a 4 on 3 in OT. Stafford scores the winner in the shootout. Dang, Myers & Stafford haven't even had a chance to house shop in the Peg.

As long as this team stays true to Bob Hearley's 7 Game segments by winning 5 of 7, then they should get a playoff position. This team controls it's own fate. They need to stay 4 games above .500, but they should be focusing on catching up with vancouver and San Jose.

Tied with VAN in points and 1 behind SJ.

We maintain our position by winning enough against the East (so far not so much) and winning the 4-point games in the West. We frustrate the heck out of SJ by keeping close to them; they have to keep winning or be overtaken. VAN's games-in-hand are evaporating, and they have won 4/7 to just keep pace. LA, even winning 4 in a row, are still 3 points back.

Based on the last 10, it almost looks like the Jets and Sharks may get replaced by the Wild and Kings.

As long as we keep winning 4/7 we're doing ok.

We have yet to play any games against the Bruins or Flyers this year. Those two sets could have a huge impact on our playoff chances.

Stop it!  Your starting to talk like the Fancy stats guys.   :)

Its the next 10 that matter.

Pyro, I love the charts, and thanks for sharing.

Just an observation.  The projected points are based on past play.  The East has been sewed up for some time and as a result there is less urgency on them winning games.  In the West however, the competition is heating up, many teams are still aiming for a playoff spot, pushing each other even harder, resulting in more points.  I could see 96-97 pts as the cut off, maybe higher?

On January 28th last year the projected cut-off (based on past play) was at 95 pts.

At the end of the season Dallas made the final wild card spot with 91 pts.

I still see a 92-94 pt cut-off occurring as a tight wild card race lasting to the end of the season likely suppresses the cut-off. At least we will witness an exciting finish in the West as I still see 7 teams vying for 4 spots.

In the East, we see 2 teams fighting for 1 spot. Boston almost a lock with Florida hanging by a thread.

The other 7 teams all have a practically insurmountable task and as a result their seasons are essentially over.

How depressing to cheer for a team with 25-30 games left to play knowing this early that game 82 will be the last.

Archived