Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wins keep coming. A battle for 2nd place in the Pacific Division is now set up for Wednesday.

The next 12 days will result in daily shuffling of the Western Conference standings.

Our schedule:

Wed Feb 4, 2015 - San Jose @ Calgary
Fri Feb 6, 2015 - Pittsburgh @ Calgary
Mon Feb 9, 2015 - Calgary @ San Jose
Thu Feb 12, 2015 - Calgary @ Los Angeles
Sat Feb 14, 2015 - Vancouver @ Calgary

A sweep of all 5 would be sweet!

It is now that part of the season where games start appearing that you want both teams to lose.

For example, tomorrow night; WPG @ VAN. No loser points please!

Do we want the team that we are chasing to lose or the team that is hot on our heels in the standings?

Should we shoot for a guaranteed wild card or aspire to top 3 in our division?

I guess I'll let the Flames decide B)

I couldn't wait until the end of the week. Here is a playoff wild card projection: 14268

2014-15PlayoffProjection2015-02-02_zps9c

Here is what Calgary has to look forward to in the final 31 games of the season:

15 games vs. teams currently in a playoff spot.

19 games vs. Western Conference teams.

26 games vs. teams with .500 records or better.

It's going to be tough down the stretch but those 19 games vs. the West are going to be very important games and they should be fun to watch.

Last night's game with the Jets is exactly what I wanted to see from the Flames. That was 60 minutes of hockey and they still found that extra gear in the third period. As JT says though our last 31 games are going to be tough sledding but if the Flames can continue winning their 7 game sets I don't see why this team couldn't be as best as the 5th or 6th seed in the west. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I think they can actually do it.

Here is what Calgary has to look forward to in the final 31 games of the season:

15 games vs. teams currently in a playoff spot.

19 games vs. Western Conference teams.

26 games vs. teams with .500 records or better.

It's going to be tough down the stretch but those 19 games vs. the West are going to be very important games and they should be fun to watch.

Just to add to this.

16 games are on the road including a 7 game, 13 day East coast road trip.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, which I think they will, just putting our young guys like Gaudreau, Monahan and Brodie in a position to play meaningful games down the stretch is going to be huge for their development.

Just to add to this.

16 games are on the road including a 7 game, 13 day East coast road trip.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, which I think they will, just putting our young guys like Gaudreau, Monahan and Brodie in a position to play meaningful games down the stretch is going to be huge for their development.

We are struggling against the east this season:

2bbc575f644537e97861e0d9922c28a8.png

It is now that part of the season where games start appearing that you want both teams to lose.

For example, tomorrow night; WPG @ VAN. No loser points please!

Do we want the team that we are chasing to lose or the team that is hot on our heels in the standings?

Should we shoot for a guaranteed wild card or aspire to top 3 in our division?

For me its an easy argument if its anyone in the Pacific vs. anyone in the Central division. Root for central because it gives us a better chance at one of the divisional spots.

As for above or chasing us, it really depends on the margin of difference. I hope ANH sweeps any remaining games with VAN, LAK or SJS, since we can't catch them anyway. As for those 3, will depend on the standings each game.

Oddly, I think Min has the best chance to sneak in with their recent play.

Carried by Dubnyk. Funny enough, I called this 4 years ago with my roommate. Put him on a team with even a decent defence (which Edmonton still doesn't have), and he would actually turn out to be a solid goalie (never figured starter, more along the lines of a guy who could handle the 40 on a 60/40 split). Go figure, goes to Arizona, doesn't be too bad for a struggling team, and goes to the Wild which is a team that has a solid Defencive core and 8 games in he has a 6-1-0 record and got pulled once. Pretty sure this season he will have more wins than Edmonton will. Admittedly his stats are boosted a bit by the fact that the Wild are on a bit of a hot streak but I still see him being a good goalie for the Wild.

And as a Flames fan, I'm almost more scared of the Wild than I am of LA at this point, their run right now is ridiculous.

We are struggling against the east this season:

2bbc575f644537e97861e0d9922c28a8.png

How many of those games though came during the 8-game losing streak? We outplayed Pittsburg and Buffalo on the road. I think a little more evidence is needed before I say we are, in fact, bad against the East. That data is coming up though.

Carried by Dubnyk. Funny enough, I called this 4 years ago with my roommate. Put him on a team with even a decent defence (which Edmonton still doesn't have), and he would actually turn out to be a solid goalie... Admittedly his stats are boosted a bit by the fact that the Wild are on a bit of a hot streak but I still see him being a good goalie for the Wild.

And as a Flames fan, I'm almost more scared of the Wild than I am of LA at this point, their run right now is ridiculous.

I admit I never watched him that much, but interesting.

Definitely most worried about the Wild. LAK is fading fast without an abrupt turnaround I don't see coming because they're not offloading Richards cheap like they hoped. DAL will be close, but I don't see them making the run necessary to catch enough teams.

COL is kinda interesting. They're like the Flames of a few years ago. Their leading scorers are Iggy and Tanguay. They're 3 points back, but have no games in hand. But they're still close enough that there is an argument to challenge for that spot because they have a supporting cast that should be playing better than they are.

I feel bad for Iggy really. He's gotta be thinking "not AGAIN".

How many of those games though came during the 8-game losing streak? We outplayed Pittsburg and Buffalo on the road. I think a little more evidence is needed before I say we are, in fact, bad against the East. That data is coming up though.

Four. (PIT, TOR, BUF, NYR)

Ignoring those we're still 7-7-2 in all other games against the East. Not as bad, but not particularly good either.

We need to be over .500 (if not around/over .600) against the east the rest of the way.

I admit I never watched him that much, but interesting.

Definitely most worried about the Wild. LAK is fading fast without an abrupt turnaround I don't see coming because they're not offloading Richards cheap like they hoped. DAL will be close, but I don't see them making the run necessary to catch enough teams.

COL is kinda interesting. They're like the Flames of a few years ago. Their leading scorers are Iggy and Tanguay. They're 3 points back, but have no games in hand. But they're still close enough that there is an argument to challenge for that spot because they have a supporting cast that should be playing better than they are.

I feel bad for Iggy really. He's gotta be thinking "not AGAIN".Four. (PIT, TOR, BUF, NYR)

Ignoring those we're still 7-7-2 in all other games against the East. Not as bad, but not particularly good either.

We need to be over .500 (if not around/over .600) against the east the rest of the way.

I don't worry about the teams behind us so much.  It is challenging to get into a playoff spot.  Teams outside looking in make bad decisions to help them try to get in.  They will take more chances.  Dubie will get ridden into the ground.  COL has good youth and Iggy/Tangs/Briere, but not that great a defense.  Minny is a good team, but they can only win so many one goal games.  VAN could be on the verge of a major slide.  DAL should be better than they are, but are missing something.  SJS could slide if they lose another game or two.

WPG benched Kane last game, so PM will probably make some stupid decision that will cost them a playoff spot.  The locks to make the playoff are STL, NASH, CHI, ANA.  The central will be a dogfight for 3rd.  In the Pacific CGY, SJS and LA will fight it out for 2-3rd.

VAN, DAL, WPG and COL will fight it out for the wild-card spots.

the data is what it is. It does not matter how many games were during the 8 game losing streak. You can not just dismiss a losing streak like that no matter what conference we were playing.. It still forms a part of our record which shows we have struggled against the east.

All we can do is focus and attempt to do better. Last year the west overall was great against the east to begin the season and during the last half of the season the east pulled up their socks and did much better.

The Flames must do the same thing for the remainder of the season. Improve their play against the east be it on the road or at home.

The locks to make the playoff are STL, NASH, CHI, ANA.  The central will be a dogfight for 3rd.  In the Pacific CGY, SJS and LA will fight it out for 2-3rd.

VAN, DAL, WPG and COL will fight it out for the wild-card spots.

I agree with everything but VAN not being in the running for 2-3 in pacific.

They have 2-4 games in hand on all the other teams in the fight. That's a huge advantage since they have a 3 point edge for the final WC right now.

They've definitely played poorly of late, but that's only dropped them to 7-7 since the new year with their worst hockey of the season.

One of them or SJS gets points on Thursday too.

They have 2-4 games in hand on all the other teams in the fight. That's a huge advantage since they have a 3 point edge for the final WC right now.

They've definitely played poorly of late, but that's only dropped them to 7-7 since the new year with their worst hockey of the season.

You have to consider that their top D has had and continues to have injury problems.

Their PP is dismal and not just lately.

Add to that the Prophet Sheri says they will lose those "games at hand". They still have to win those games at hand.. If there is one thing we Flames learned is the lesson that it does not matter how many games at hand you have you have to actually win most of them to make any positive difference in standings.

All the above makes me believe they will be fighting for the wild card spot shortly and for the remainder of the season...

You are forgetting a major factor...

2eb8b75a10dbf446bd3946030a9c1bc3.png

Possibly true. But I wouldn't be counting them out yet is all I'm saying.

Though I honestly can't remember a time in years when Calgary has actually had games in hand by this point in the season. We always seem to be frontloaded more than other teams.

Bieksa is their biggest loss to injury on the backend. Out as of Jan.20th with a broken paw. That is a lengthy injury/rehab. Ask Wideman how long he misses with a similar injury.

Carried by Dubnyk. Funny enough, I called this 4 years ago with my roommate. Put him on a team with even a decent defence (which Edmonton still doesn't have), and he would actually turn out to be a solid goalie (never figured starter, more along the lines of a guy who could handle the 40 on a 60/40 split). Go figure, goes to Arizona, doesn't be too bad for a struggling team, and goes to the Wild which is a team that has a solid Defencive core and 8 games in he has a 6-1-0 record and got pulled once. Pretty sure this season he will have more wins than Edmonton will. Admittedly his stats are boosted a bit by the fact that the Wild are on a bit of a hot streak but I still see him being a good goalie for the Wild.

Except how he sucked last season playing in Nashville behind the best defense hes ever played behind. 

Bieksa is their biggest loss to injury on the backend. Out as of Jan.20th with a broken paw. That is a lengthy injury/rehab. Ask Wideman how long he misses with a similar injury.

Hopefuly they don't adjust to that well.

But a 3 point game in their win on WPG today. That's the worst of all possible results sigh.

Archived