Flames 2014/15 Predictions

kehatch

What are your predictions for the upcoming season?  Here are a two of mine per position

Centre

• Backlund leads the team in scoring with 22 goals and 34 assists in 74 games
  • Monahan increases his points totals to 50, but his goals drop to 17

Wing

• Baertschi makes the team out of camp and plays the entire season in the NHL
  • Top 6 in scoring among wingers (in order) is Glencross, Hudler, Baertschi, Raymond, Colborne, Setoguchi

Defense

• Giordano cracks 50 points this season.  He is top 5 in scoring among NHL D.
  • Wideman has a rebound season.  He has 35 points and 8 goals in his first 50 games.  He is then traded. 

Goalie

• Ramo earns the starting job.  He puts up a SV% of 0.918.
  • The Flames attempt to trade Hiller at the deadline and fail.  He is demoted to the AHL. Ortio is called up.  

Rookies 

• Ferland leads Addy in point per game.  He gets 25 games in the NHL.  
  • Gaudreau plays 12 games in the NHL in an injury call up role, but he spends most of the season in the AHL where he puts up 39 points in 51 games.  

What are your predictions for the upcoming season?  Here are a two of mine per position

Centre

• Backlund leads the team in scoring with 22 goals and 34 assists in 74 games
  • Monahan increases his points totals to 50, but his goals drop to 17

Wing

• Baertschi makes the team out of camp and plays the entire season in the NHL
  • Top 6 in scoring among wingers (in order) is Glencross, Hudler, Baertschi, Raymond, Colborne, Setoguchi

Defense

• Giordano cracks 50 points this season.  He is top 5 in scoring among NHL D.
  • Wideman has a rebound season.  He has 35 points and 8 goals in his first 50 games.  He is then traded. 

Goalie

• Ramo earns the starting job.  He puts up a SV% of 0.918.
  • The Flames attempt to trade Hiller at the deadline and fail.  He is demoted to the AHL. Ortio is called up.  

Rookies 

• Ferland leads Addy in point per game.  He gets 25 games in the NHL.  
  • Gaudreau plays 12 games in the NHL in an injury call up role, but he spends most of the season in the AHL where he puts up 39 points in 51 games.  

OK, here goes...

Centre:

Monahan leads team in scoring with 30 goals and 35 assists.  Plays with Baertschi & Colbourne all season.

Backlund gets career-best points while continuing tough minutes and driving play, playing with Hudler and Raymond.

Wing:

Baertshi makes team from camp... AGREED

4 of Glencross, Hudler, Jones, McGratton, Byron, and Bouma traded before or on TD day.

Defense:

Engelland & Wideman traded after good rebound seasons.

Kulak, Wotherspoon and Sieloff each gets 15+ NHL games from injury call-ups and trades.

Goalie:

Both goalies beat NHL average SV%.

1 goalie traded for 2015 2nd Rounder.

Rookies:

Bennett, Gaudreau, Klimchuck & Kanzig impress at training camp.  All sent down to Jr or the AHL.

Gaudreau wins AHL scoring title, draws up to NHL for final 15 games, scoring 25 points.

Bennett & Klimchuk shine at World Junior tournament, bringing Gold back to Canada.

Let me take a stab at this....

Center

Backlund is given softer minutes to increase his point production.  Plays with Johnny Hockey and Setoguchi/Jones.  Ends up with 25 goals and 35 assists.

Stajan takes the tough minutes with Colborne and GlenX.  Still manages 20 goals and 20 assists.

Monahan plays semi-soft minutes with Hudler and Baertschi.  Racks up 25 goals and 20 assists.

Wing

Johnny Hockey lights it up playing with Backlund.  Gets PP time and ends up with 25 goals and 40 assists.  Setoguchi gets 15 goals and 10 assists.  Jones plays every once in awhile on this line and ends up with 20 goals and 10 assists overall, most of it on other lines.

Baertschi manages to get 15 goals and 25 assists.

Defense

Gio and Brodie both hit 50 points and are talked about as the new elite pairing.

Smid unlearns his Oiler ways and becomes a proper shut-down D.  Alternates up and down the pairings (2nd and 3rd).

Russell manages to balance out Engelland/Potter, so it's not a total horror show.

Goal

Ramo becomes the man.  Everyone wonders if Kipper is back.  Plays 50 games and has a GAA of .922  Hiller does his best, but just has an average season, playing 30 games.

Other Callups

Granlund gets 20 points in 25 games.  Stays up the rest of the season.

Reinhart plays 15 games in a variety of positions.  Hartley thinks he is the next GlenX for his PK abilities.

Wolf gets called up for 10 games and impresses everyone with his skill.  He puts fear in the Oiler kids every time he steps off the bench.  Nuge craps his pants and there is a delay.  He is extended before the season is done.

Seilof plays 10 games and shows that he is the next Regher.

Arnold plays 10 games and shows that he is more capable than Stajan, but there isn't room for him yet.

Knight gets 20 games and has a FO% of 60%.  He wins the 4th line C position near the end of the season.

Kulak gets 20 games and shows he is more capable than Russell. 

Trades

Hudler at TDL.

GlenX waives his NTC and goes to DAL for Jamie O.

Byron and Russell are traded to the East for a D prospect (Bartowski) and pick.

Smid and a lesser prospect traded to WASH for Green.

I haven't counted the number of goals, but it looks like we surpass last year's totals.  Still not enough to get out of the bottom 5.  We win the lottery pick and get McDavid.  Peeps rejoices. 

CENTER

Monahan leads team in assists for most of the season while scoring 25-30 goals

Backlund steps up again and shows a higher ceiling 

WINGS

Glencross, Raymond and Seto have 20-30 goal seasons each

Wolf plays due to injury and impresses offensively and hits like there will be no tomorrow

Bollig has a great year along with Bouma and both along with Hudler get traded for picks/prospects

DEFENCE

Gio has career year again makes the all-star team and Brodie wows the whole lead with huge offensive year

GOAL

Ramo plays really well but gets injured and Hiller steps in proving he is still a number one goalie being traded at the deadline for a high pick.

ROOKIES

JH plays nine and comes back up to fill injury holes. Does well but is a little sheltered. Pourier gets called up and more than empresses everyone across the league. A few other rookies get a chance to showcase themselves that end up being traded for future picks and other prospects.

Calgary ends up beating Edm, and Phx and finish with the 7th over all pick but after trades and adding picks they will have 3 first rounds and 3 second rounds. With all these picks they try to move up trading 2 firsts and 2 seconds for the 3-5 pick add a d-man and other potential third liners.

2015-16 Calgary makes the playoffs and gets deep into the second round, goal tending is blamed along with the over all age of the team thought to be to young and everyone who has begged for the young to play see why vets are important.

LOL yeah I thought I was supposed to be typing with my fingers crossed at the same time, so by doing so I forgot that I was only predicting based on the good games and forgot to mention Glenx gets injured prior to trade deadline and no body bites, Hudlers numbers drop along with Stajan, Bouma breaks an ankle with a shot blocked during a pointless 3 goal loss. Ramo doesn't do as well as hoped either.

Calgary then actually finishes last but loses the lottery to Edmonton who takes.......NOOOOOO, ok if I continue I will have to suicide myself....

You guys are really predicting with precision.  :D

I look at what you guys are saying for individual predictions and to me, those kind of totals would probably mean a playoff birth for the Flames.  I mean if Hiller/Ramo put up a near .920 save % and Backlund and Monahan have great seasons, and Gio is near the top of the Dmen scoring race, I don't think we are drafting McDavid.

You guys are really predicting with precision.  :D

I look at what you guys are saying for individual predictions and to me, those kind of totals would probably mean a playoff birth for the Flames.  I mean if Hiller/Ramo put up a near .920 save % and Backlund and Monahan have great seasons, and Gio is near the top of the Dmen scoring race, I don't think we are drafting McDavid.

McEichel is a pipedream for this year with Buffalo and other teams stinking out the league.

Mine are individual totals, but still don't translate to many more wins than this year. We can have 6-1 wins and lots of 3-2 losses and still have decent SA%.

I would love to see plenty of 6-1 wins!

I think I will agree with you that Buffalo will stink, but I believe Florida is much improved.  I think they've made some nice changes, and say what you want about Bobby Lou, they will have a better season just with him there.  Edmonton?  Who knows?   Islanders I believe are better as well.  As for our Flames, I really don't know they are going to be any better than last season.  I think it was a great season, but is Raymond as good as Cammy?  Engelland as good as Butler?  Hiller/Ramo better than Ramo/Ortio?   To be perfectly honest, I would love to see Calgary be in the mix for the 8-10 spot, but realistically I believe it will be a top 3 pick in the draft after the season is over.

I'll say bottom 4 and I'll agree with you on Hanafin.

I think the Flames were overachievers last year and will take a small step backward this year.  (Say 2 - 4 points)  Meanwhile, Buffalo, Edmonton and Florida are all improved but not enough to catch the Flames in the standings.

Bennett finishes top three in scoring in the OHL despite missing a number of games while winning gold at the WJHC. Also misses a handful of games due to suspension.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

According to NHL 2015 LA will win the cup and Flames will finish dead last, having said that the NHL 2014 predicted STL would win the cup....

Realistic look at the team most likely we will finish bottom 5 and if we manage to stay above Edmonton I say we are doing pretty good rebuilding the team. If Johnny plays this year I would be surpised if he didnt get injured this year..

Bob Hartley steps down as head coach of Calgary citing interference from Burke. Treliving resigns saying he wants an opportunity as an NHL GM, of course no one gives him this chance so he "spends more time with his family". Burke demotes Gaudreau to minors, of course Gaudreau did not leave college and playing with his brother to play in minors but takes the demotion with pride but never plays again in Calgary goes to Tampa Bay leads NHL in scoring goes to all-star game and wins Stanley Cup. Burke keeps making dumb decisions and ownership signs him to a life-time contract since they are making money and don't care about anything else. Hudler leads team in scoring, Glenx scores 27 goals GIO best player in NHL not on a playoff team.

I expect most of our prospects will take the right step forward. Granlund, Ferland, Jooris become full time NHLers for us.

Sven will either be playing with the flames or included in a package deal at trade deadline.(Depending on play)

I expect our NHL team to be a bottom 5 team, meanwhile our AHL team will get another crack at play-offs.

I believe this team will be a contender in 2-3 years if everyone we figure pans out actually does.

Draft 1-5 this year, 5-12 year after, play-offs the next?

Archived