Eastern Conference - Metropolitan - Pickem

DirtyDeeds

Preseason buzz to keep you busy....

Whoever decided on METROPOLITAN name should be shot..

93c920a7f14dca42e9eb68d2bee731d2.png

d2eb3f0c68559ffc8f4434cfa0aa4fee.png

Who made the right moves over the summer?
Who is moving up in this division and who will struggle or move down?
Any surprises?
Where do you think they will all finish after all is said and done?

1. Pittsburgh
  2. New York
  3. Columbus
  4. Philadelphia
  5. Washington
  6. New Jersey
  7. New York Isles
  8. Carolina 

What a dogs breakfast here. Truely the division of who does not want to improve...

Can Philly hold things together with that cap and that D? Can NYR repeat last years success? Will Washington plummet? NYI finally make another move if they can find a stable owner and decent front office.

1. Pittsburgh

• It is s a shame that the Penguins haven't been able to make the next step to build a team around Crosby and Malkin.  Fleury is a big part of the issue and that didn't get fixed.  They did add some depth at forward and on D though and they are consistently one of the best teams regular season so I doubt that changes this season.  

2. Philadelphia

• Philly was my East pick to win the cup.  They have a great forward core with players like Giroux, Schen, Couturier, Simmonds, and Voracek.  Mason worked well for them in net last season and should again.  They still want to find a top 2 D man that has eluded them.  That might be difficult to find given their contract situation.  If they can find a taker for Lecavalier that will help, but that might be tough to do.  

3. Columbus

• It is strange to be predicting Columbus at third.  It is very possible that they fall off this season.  Outside of Johansen there isn't a lot to love for top end talent at forward.  There are also holes on defense.  But if this team can continue to work hard, bang, and play strong defense they should be okay.  At least if Bobrovsky can keep up his elite level of play in net.  

4. Washington

• They got better in the off season.  They also still boast talent like Ovechkin and Backstrom.  But they are such an unpredictable team.  They could finish first in the division or as low as 6.  

5. New York Rangers

• Possibly the team that got hit the worst this off season.  New York lost a lot of its depth.  As a team that relies on goal tending and depth that is a big concern.  If Nash turns it around, St Louis can keep it going, and young guys like Brassard and Kreider turn it up than they will be okay.  But that is a lot of ifs. 

6. New York Islanders

• The Islanders took some steps forward the last two seasons.  They fell off a bit last season but with Tavares and Okposo up front and Jalak now in net they should take a few more steps forwards.  I think they fall short of the playoffs, but they shouldn't finish last in the division at least.  

7. New Jersey

• I always underestimate the Devils.  With Schneider adding stability in net and Cammalleri and Havlat adding depth to a team that struggled to score last season I may be again.  But their players are either too old or too young.  Goals will still be tough to come by and they lack the elite defenders to get away without scoring.  

8. Carolina

• When you have a team that includes Skinner, Staal (both of them), and Ward you would think you could get better results.  But Ward has been terrible and the rest of the team is poorly put together.  Bad contracts and a lack of assets makes fixing this mess a tough tough job.  I think this team will be bad for awhile.  Unfortunately for them, they are going to be good enough to stay out of the bottom five.  

1) Washington. Main concern in my mind is goaltending. Trotz will get the most out the D & more defensively minded forwards. He'll have the benifit of scorers like OV & Backstrom he never had in Nashville. If the team buys in he can give those guys the green light to pile up the goals.

2) Columbus. When Johansen re-signs they have an excellent top 3 centers. The vets on wing are still adequate & a few good kids are in the mix. There's a nice mix on defense. Bob is a good goalie while McElhinney will hopefully be adequate in the 25 or so games he'll need to start.

3) NYI. Tavares will be back to join a pretty good supporting cast. They were contenders until he went down in the Olys.

(The next 2 could be reversed as I only see 1 of the 2 make the playoffs this year. The reason I put the Flyers 1st should be obvious.)

4) Philadelphia. Strong @ forward. Other then Coburn the defense leaves a lot to be desired with an old sniper in Streit, hoping MacDonald can stay healthy & a few slower shut down D in Grossmann with Del Zotto a ?. For a change the goalie tandem doesn't make me cringe.

5) Pittsburg. Crosby & Malkin are their bright side. Losing Neal hurts them. The rest of the forwards are blah. Health concerns about Letang won't disappear, Ehrhoff is a darn good 1 year rental (he'll be back in Buffalo the next year) with Martin & a bunch that barely have their feet wet as pros to fill in. Goal is still the ever inconsitant MA Fleury while Greiss isn't any better.

6) NYR. Lundqvist can't carry them on his back again.

7) NJ. Even with Jagr & Cammi don't have enough scoring. The Devils are no longer the defenseman factory they were so the D isn't up to par. Schneider is a good goalie but he's no Brodeur in his prime.

8) Carolina. Some very good forwards about sums up their only strength. Motley crew on defense backed by Ward if/when healthy. Badly managed with the in demand players being pricey with NTC/NMCs. Will take a long time to recover.

^^^

Pittsburgh has dominated their division for the last two seasons.  They haven't finished worse than second since 05/06.  Hornqvist is an upgrade to Neal for Pittsburgh.  I like the new focus on grit and defense.  Niskanen and Orpik leaving hurts, but Ehrhoff and a combination of Maata, Pouliot, and Despres should keep them competitive there.  

I think there is some Flyer's bias predicting them to fall to fifth and potentially miss the playoffs!

I admitted to that when I said I used that order but that the Pens could well be 4th & Flyers 5th. :)

;)

I really like Philly this season. There D is by committee but if they get goal tending I think they are a threat in the East. I have money on them, so I will be cheering for them when they aren't playing the Flames.

;)

I really like Philly this season. There D is by committee but if they get goal tending I think they are a threat in the East. I have money on them, so I will be cheering for them when they aren't playing the Flames.

I'd love to see Hex somehow swing a deal to inprove that defense. Homer left him with nada in cap space (when Pronger goes on LTIR the Flyers have about 5 grand in room. So that means roster player(s).

I mention in the Central Division thread that I think the Jets should trade Enstrom to the east as he seems more suited there. They won't give him up for scraps so I figure the Schenns (who are more suited for the west IMO) who carry a combined salary of 6.1. That covers (barely) Enstrom's 5.750. Enstrom would be a great replacement for Timonen.

Brayden adds a talented C/W to the Jets top 9 while Luke brings a hard nose to the top 4 D.

The Flyers do slightly weaken their top 9 forwards but that's traditionally easier for them to replace then a top 2 D.

It's probably a pipedream with the #s so tight but I'd like to see it.

I'm very close to your list ff but swapping the Pens with the BJ's *spit*

I agree on the Caps but with an asterisk. Trotz has to be able to coach the way he sees fit, meaning not give a dang about what Ovi thinks, ala Dale Hunter's million dollar favour to MacPhee.

No player in this league can be a coach killer, but outside of Hunter, that is what happens in Washington.

Rumour has it Hunter just hopped on the plane without a contract, met with MacPhee and gave it the, "I'll do it for you buddy, give me a million or whatever if you think that's fair".

No handcuffs, he treated Ovi like everyone else on that team.

If only he'd leave the Knights I'd be happy!!

I'm very close to your list ff but swapping the Pens with the BJ's *spit*

I agree on the Caps but with an asterisk. Trotz has to be able to coach the way he sees fit, meaning not give a dang about what Ovi thinks, ala Dale Hunter's million dollar favour to MacPhee.

No player in this league can be a coach killer, but outside of Hunter, that is what happens in Washington.

Rumour has it Hunter just hopped on the plane without a contract, met with MacPhee and gave it the, "I'll do it for you buddy, give me a million or whatever if you think that's fair".

No handcuffs, he treated Ovi like everyone else on that team.

If only he'd leave the Knights I'd be happy!!

I agree Trotz has to have full say on the coaching. If OV balks he has to have the full blessing of management to sit his butt as long as he feels is needed.

I just think he'll take advantage of the firepower up front he never had in Nashville initially @ least.

Good to see some agreement. :)

My list is different enough from the 1s preceeding it I figured everyone might think I was out of my gourd. :lol:

1. Washington - Barry Trotz inherits a lot of "his players"  like Joel Ward, Chimera, Brouwer, Laich, Volpatti, and Beagle.  The blueline and goaltending is solid.  The Capitals will regain their swagger this year.

2. NY Rangers - AV is a great coach and the Rangers return from the Cup finals with one of the best goalies in the NHL and one of the best bluelines. 

3. Pittsburgh - They pressed the return button on half their team. It will take some time for chemistry to form and by the time that happens, if it happens, they won't have enough games left to win the division.

4. Philadelphia - four good lines that lack Dmen and goaltending to complement.  Won't compete with the big boys. 

5. New Jersey - take some good gambles this summer but need to re-work the Dmen.

6. NY Islanders - good moves this summer and young guys emerging, finally.

7. Columbus - they did not belong in the playoffs last season and others teams in the divison got better.

8. Carolina - one of the worst bluelines in the NHL and a lack of quality 3rd/4th lines.

OK, I'll take my August shot at this...

1. Rangers... Solid from the backend out. Racked up some experience to ride into the season

2. Pens

3. Caps ... hoping for a Caps-Pens first round matchup

4. CBJ ... assuming Johansen re-signs

5. Isles ... take a big developmental step forward with the goalie position solidified.

6. Devils.. poor Schneider

7. Flyers.. poor Snider

8. Canes

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

1) Washington. Main concern in my mind is goaltending. Trotz will get the most out the D & more defensively minded forwards. He'll have the benifit of scorers like OV & Backstrom he never had in Nashville. If the team buys in he can give those guys the green light to pile up the goals.

2) Columbus. When Johansen re-signs they have an excellent top 3 centers. The vets on wing are still adequate & a few good kids are in the mix. There's a nice mix on defense. Bob is a good goalie while McElhinney will hopefully be adequate in the 25 or so games he'll need to start.

3) NYI. Tavares will be back to join a pretty good supporting cast. They were contenders until he went down in the Olys.

(The next 2 could be reversed as I only see 1 of the 2 make the playoffs this year. The reason I put the Flyers 1st should be obvious.)

4) Philadelphia. Strong @ forward. Other then Coburn the defense leaves a lot to be desired with an old sniper in Streit, hoping MacDonald can stay healthy & a few slower shut down D in Grossmann with Del Zotto a ?. For a change the goalie tandem doesn't make me cringe.

5) Pittsburg. Crosby & Malkin are their bright side. Losing Neal hurts them. The rest of the forwards are blah. Health concerns about Letang won't disappear, Ehrhoff is a darn good 1 year rental (he'll be back in Buffalo the next year) with Martin & a bunch that barely have their feet wet as pros to fill in. Goal is still the ever inconsitant MA Fleury while Greiss isn't any better.

6) NYR. Lundqvist can't carry them on his back again.

7) NJ. Even with Jagr & Cammi don't have enough scoring. The Devils are no longer the defenseman factory they were so the D isn't up to par. Schneider is a good goalie but he's no Brodeur in his prime.

8) Carolina. Some very good forwards about sums up their only strength. Motley crew on defense backed by Ward if/when healthy. Badly managed with the in demand players being pricey with NTC/NMCs. Will take a long time to recover.

Rags surprised me. Dang Columbus let me down.

Thing is, FF, did Columbus really let you down? Look at what they accomplished once they got healthy. I think they could  have been serious contenders if they weren't so heavily derailed by injuries to start the season (At one point weren't they missing 4 of their top 6 forwards, 2 of their top 4 D-men and both their starter and backup goaltender? That is going to de-rail a season right quick)

Thing is, FF, did Columbus really let you down? Look at what they accomplished once they got healthy. I think they could  have been serious contenders if they weren't so heavily derailed by injuries to start the season (At one point weren't they missing 4 of their top 6 forwards, 2 of their top 4 D-men and both their starter and backup goaltender? That is going to de-rail a season right quick)

The Jets were missing all 4 of their top 4 D for an extended period (Enstrom, Trouba, Stuart & [@ the time Bogo]). Later Little, Perreault were hurt so 2 top 6 forwards.

We lost our captain/best D for the season but truck on.

The Rags were without Lundqvist for a big part of the season.

I'll again have high hopes for the BJs next year but you need depth to cope. If injuries derail a team they aren't good enough yet.

I get what you mean but I see blaming injuries as the easy way out since other/better teams survive them. It's the game of "if only".

The Jets were missing all 4 of their top 4 D for an extended period (Enstrom, Trouba, Stuart & [@ the time Bogo]). Later Little, Perreault were hurt so 2 top 6 forwards.

We lost our captain/best D for the season but truck on.

The Rags were without Lundqvist for a big part of the season.

I'll again have high hopes for the BJs next year but you need depth to cope. If injuries derail a team they aren't good enough yet.

I get what you mean but I see blaming injuries as the easy way out since other/better teams survive them. It's the game of "if only".

I'll agree with needing depth for sure, and some injuries they need to be able to overcome. But all in all, I'm not too mad due to how  many impact injuried they had at the same time, for a solid while it was half their AHL team playing and even a few of them got injured as well. I don't think I've seen a year where a single team got that many injuries so consistantly for the first half a season. All in all, I fully agree with the fact that they did need better depth to overcome, but hopefully next year they can do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived