Non "heavy" / "truculent" Flames Future

joeyabs

Thought I would bring this thread back up.

There was a few of us hockey fans talking the other day and we collectively came to the agreement that the NHL is getting faster and far more skilled. I think fighting will either come to an end or will be so regulated, (you will have anouncers calling out "and in this corner you have x from the flames and y from the oilers in a 1 rnd 2 minute bout). Arggh. You are starting to see the top point player in the ahl maxing out a 6' /6'1" and smaller.  I forsee around the nhl forward line combinations of 2 smaller faster players and a bigger stronger player on each line. Defense would split 50/50. A few years down the road I see speed and skill trumping big and strong.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I would bring this thread back up.

There was a few of us hockey fans talking the other day and we collectively came to the agreement that the NHL is getting faster and far more skilled. I think fighting will either come to an end or will be so regulated, (you will have anouncers calling out "and in this corner you have x from the flames and y from the oilers in a 1 rnd 2 minute bout). Arggh. You are starting to see the top point player in the ahl maxing out a 6' /6'1" and smaller.  I forsee around the nhl forward line combinations of 2 smaller faster players and a bigger stronger player on each line. Defense would split 50/50. A few years down the road I see speed and skill trumping big and strong.

You can get rid of the red line and clutching & grabbing.  You cannot however, get rid of the boards.  This is where size is still an advantage over speed.

Few teams carry the sideshow fighters anymore. It seems to be reverting to players that can/will fight like John Fergusson.

In the '80s the Oilers gave Gretzky a body guard & other teams followed suit. After the instigator penalty said protector was no longer allowed to fill that role so things devolved into the side show to appease those against the removal of fighting but gave free rein to cheap shot artists.

Size will always matter in our game. The weasels would hesitate to slewfoot Getzlaf or his ilk because they would get rather ornery & do something about it. On the opposite end what is Gaudreau going to do against a bigger guy that in those rare instances ( :lol: ) a ref misses the infraction? If a teammate comes in to play the calvary the teammate goes to the box.

Had some spare time late last night and thought I would check out the point totals for last nights 3 games and compare them to player size.

There was a total of 50 awarded player points last night in goals and assists.

- players 6'0 and under got 30 of the 50 points

- players over 6' got 20 of the 50 points

I just thought it was interesting and it COULD mean a trend towards skilled smaller players.

Had some spare time late last night and thought I would check out the point totals for last nights 3 games and compare them to player size.

There was a total of 50 awarded player points last night in goals and assists.

- players 6'0 and under got 30 of the 50 points

- players over 6' got 20 of the 50 points

I just thought it was interesting and it COULD mean a trend towards skilled smaller players.

What's the ratio of small versus large players?

I don't see this team getting much bigger into next year however there are some player changes within that could effect some positive change. I like what Ferland, Wolf and Shore bring to the line up which could make the 3rd and 4th lines much better next season.

Ferland, Shore, Jooris

Bollig, Bouma, Wolf

This could free up Stajan, Backlund and Jones for trades.

I don't see this team getting much bigger into next year however there are some player changes within that could effect some positive change. I like what Ferland, Wolf and Shore bring to the line up which could make the 3rd and 4th lines much better next season.

Ferland, Shore, Jooris

Bollig, Bouma, Wolf

This could free up Stajan, Backlund and Jones for trades.

Well most of the Rookies and prospects are still growing or at least building muscle and weight, so I think that unless there are a couple of new smaller prospects ready to jump into the lineup that the Flames will get bigger and a bit heavier...

What is interesting in this comparison from last night is the fact the Flames appear to be an older team than Anaheim despite being in full rebuild mode:

e2150413ada4997963f2bf7b526ce641.png

We are however one of the smaller teams by weight.  Hopefully our new conditioning trainer is working hard to change that among our prospects.

Archived