Gio Out 6-8 Weeks

Flyerfan52

I don't see why you wouldn't play Backlund ahead of Baertschi or Galiardi on the wing. Baertschi hasn't been any better than Backs and is way more one dimensional. Backs doesn't HAVE to play centre if Stajan (debatable) and Monahan (sure) are outplaying him. That's fine. Move him to the wing.

Playing him with McGrattan is a joke. He deserves way more for his performance this year.

I have been saying for the last couple of years that Backlund would be better off on the wing. It would let him use his offensive skills more effectively.

I just don't think he has the strength or tenacity to be fully effective at center especially in this division going against the likes of Getzlaf, Kopitar and Thornton.

Mmm speaking of options, Phaneuf (big tough 28 yrs old D) has some pretty good play and stats as of late (+10 averaging 24 mins per game wit 7 pts in 13 game an't too shabby).

Problem is contract year, past history here not the best and cost to get him too high I suspect:

However, IF he could be signed around 5 mil over 8 yrs say, makes it an affordable contract, affordable contracts can be moved.

Past history, I see this as probably the show stopper here, Gio is the man and Phaneuf's ego may cause issues with that, but he has matured since he left Cgy so he may be able to accept the fact Gio is our captain.

Cost, I see TO asking WAY too much in a trade for him, but hard to say all depends on current contract talks and his fit on the team moving forward.  TO has some great young talent on the D, so moving Phaneuf may be a good option for them,  Just as long as it's not a 1st rounder I'd think he could be a consideration to fill our hole on the D.  Keeping in mind, this would not be a short term stop gap, rather a transitional move as we wait a few yrs for some of our younger D to develop.

All things considered, if the 3 points above could be settled, He'd be a great re-acquisition filling a huge hole on this team...But I think the ego of Phaneuf may be a show stopper.  But one never knows, we have seen crazy lop sided trades in the past and crazy low contracts before.

Gotta say Gio and Phaneuf would be a great veteran D pair for young D to play with, throw in Wides not too bad and not too old as far as vets go over the next few years.

As long as Conroy is a part of this orginization Phaneuf won't ever be brought back in.

No he would not be a good addition to our team...ever....... not even in a straight across swap for Butler and DP accepting a long 2mil/year contract.

As long as Conroy is a part of this orginization Phaneuf won't ever be brought back in.

No he would not be a good addition to our team...ever....... not even in a straight across swap for Butler and DP accepting a long 2mil/year contract.

Oh yeha, forgot about Conny...So add a forth reason to the list or bolster the previous point about past history...Either way

Much hate here for DP?

Oh yeha, forgot about Conny...So add a forth reason to the list or bolster the previous point about past history...Either way

Much hate here for DP?

Can`t talk about personal things about the players on this board....sorry but we can`t talk about it here.

No hate here but going back to DP at this point and time is not unlike getting back with your Ex after many years of difficult separation....

Can`t talk about personal things about the players on this board....sorry but we can`t talk about it here.

No hate here but going back to DP at this point and time is not unlike getting back with your Ex after many years of difficult separation....

Just to make this point clear, it's not that you can't talk about a player's personal life on the boards. What you can't do is make defamatory or potentially defamatory statements about a player.

For those who don't know what that means, a defamatory statement is one that is (a) untrue and (B) harmful to a person's/entity's character. This means that if a statement is true, then feel free to make it. For instance, if I state that Patrick Sharp was arrested for punching a cab driver I am making a true statement about his personal life. If, however, I say that player X slept with player Y's wife, and there is nothing but rumours corroborating that statement, then I am treading dangerously close to defamation and the mod team will censor such statements.

Just to make this point clear, it's not that you can't talk about a player's personal life on the boards. What you can't do is make defamatory or potentially defamatory statements about a player.

For those who don't know what that means, a defamatory statement is one that is (a) untrue and ( B) harmful to a person's/entity's character. This means that if a statement is true, then feel free to make it. For instance, if I state that Patrick Sharp was arrested for punching a cab driver I am making a true statement about his personal life. If, however, I say that player X slept with player Y's wife, and there is nothing but rumours corroborating that statement, then I am treading dangerously close to defamation and the mod team will censor such statements.

I understand that is how things are supposed to work on these boards. It is however not how things worked in this instance for this situation.

Our Mods removed a post about this particular subject. The guy posting wasn't spreading a bunch of rumours he was personal friends with the Sutters and at their place when this subject was heavily the main topic of discussion. Rumours only by the definition he wasn't a member of the press and releasing the story.

Anyway the boards here didn't want the players personal conflicts discussed openly here on the boards and that was the reason for removing that thread back then.

I understand that is how things are supposed to work on these boards. It is however not how things worked in this instance for this situation.

Our Mods removed a post about this particular subject. The guy posting wasn't spreading a bunch of rumours he was personal friends with the Sutters and at their place when this subject was heavily the main topic of discussion. Rumours only by the definition he wasn't a member of the press and releasing the story.

Anyway the boards here didn't want the players personal conflicts discussed openly here on the boards and that was the reason for removing that thread back then.

I wasn't really clarifying for you, just in general.

I remember the case you're talking about, and the reason the comments were removed was because the person wouldn't give their source, the statements were not verifiable in any other way, and the comments were potentially very harmful. That is a far cry from a story that is published in major news media.

I don't care much about the rumors (seen too much unproven BS over the years) but figure Phaneuf is not a fit for the Flames.

When he was drafted I saw this great defenseman & he never became that. We traded him for a bad return among rumors but even if untrue those rumors will still have some fans holding a grudge.

The reason I don't want him back in Calgary is mainly due to the 2nd reason but even on my Flyers I'd still view him as a 3/4 among a crowd of those. He's a good but not great defenseman. @ 4.0 give or take .5 he'd be useful on most teams. The baggage in Calgary (true or false) means the Flames are better off pursuing others.

Dang!

I wanted to float my hat in celebration rather then throw it hard @ the floor.

Phaneuf is looking for $7M  x 7 years from Toronto according to some Kypreous (I think) talk last night in the intermission. 

& TO would be the only team to pay him that.

They'd justify it as he's their captain (& nobody offered anything for him).

He's average & average 3-4 earn $4. He's too far removed from that 1st rounder in the magic draft for that allure to keep him overpaid by any but the desperate.

• 1 month later...

Our record with GIo in the line up: 5-3-2

Our record with Gio out of the line up: 5-10-2

I have been really impressed with Gio this season.  He has the highest PPG average in the NHL among regular D.  That is despite playing in a shut down role that sees him starting almost every start int he D zone against the tough competition.  More importantly the team plays harder when he is in the line up.  

Gio was always that really good 2-pairing D.  He is making a really good case this season as one of the better top pairing D in the league, and one of the better captains to boot.  Kudos to him. 

Our record with GIo in the line up: 5-3-2

Our record with Gio out of the line up: 5-10-2

I have been really impressed with Gio this season.  He has the highest PPG average in the NHL among regular D.  That is despite playing in a shut down role that sees him starting almost every start int he D zone against the tough competition.  More importantly the team plays harder when he is in the line up.  

Gio was always that really good 2-pairing D.  He is making a really good case this season as one of the better top pairing D in the league, and one of the better captains to boot.  Kudos to him. 

I agree.... especially since he struggled somewhat last season.

Archived