The Fight For Jobs

kehatch

During an interview Conroy said that if a prospect is close to a veteran in camp the job will go to the prospect.  Camp in September is going to be a war in terms of veterans and players fighting for jobs.  Here is how I see things starting:

Centre

Some of these guys may be moved to wing, but C is our deepest position come this Fall.  

1. Stajan
  2. Backlund
  3. Horak: Still a young guy but has 81 NHL games played
  4. Knight: The Flames have indicated they expect him to make the team.  So has the player. 
  5. Monahan: They hope Monahan makes a case to stay in the NHL after an almost certain 9 game try out.
  6. Reinhart: Was a call up last season and was identified by Conroy as a guy with a chance to make the team.
  7. Granlund: Another guy identified by Conroy as fighting for a spot.  Has an AHL out clause if in the AHL for more then a month.  Had a great development camp. 
  8. Bouma: According to the team he would have made the team last season if not for injuries.  Candidate for wing.  
  9. Byron: He has fallen off the radar some but is still a threat for the NHL.  Could be at wing.  

Other possibilities: Jones, Nemisz, Street

Wing

More of a competition of the veterans then of the prospects.  But it is possible players like Horak, Byron, or Bouma are moved to wing and add some competition.  

1. Cammalleri
  2. Glencross
  3. Stempniak
  4. Hudler
  5. Galiardi
  6. Jones
  7. Jackman
  8. McGrattan
  9. Baertschi: Not much to say.  Should be a lock to make the roster.  
  10. Hanowski: Played some games in the NHL last season.  Probably needs a year in the AHL (at least)

Other possibilities: Ferland, Bancks, Elson, Poirier

Defense

There are some good young players ready to join the team.  This should be a tough competition for jobs.  

1. Giordano
  2. Wideman
  3. Butler
  4. Russell
  5. O'Brien
  6. Smith
  7. Brodie: Really would be the 'upset special' if he doesn't make the team
  8. Breen: Flames were big most of last season that he is almost ready for the NHL
  9. Cundari: Looked good in his late season call-up
  10. Billins: He is 24 and Feaster said he may fight for a spot

Other possibilities: Wotherspoon, Culkin, Ramage

Goalie 

The Flames don't have a clear starter opening up a brutal fight for NHL games.

1. MacDonald
  2. Ramo: The Flames wanted him in the NHL last season.  He has a spot to lose. 
  3. Berra: Made a case in development camp to at least get a look. 
  4. Ortio: Was upset not to be in the conversation for NHL jobs.  He will get his chance.  

Other possibilities: Brossoit

Having a surplus on centers is a nice problem to have as they tend to adjust to a move to wing better then the vice versa.

If the young 1s live up to their billing we could have @ least 2 good 2Cs that can play a line higher when needed (or 1 could be that elusive 1C teams search for).

Of the 9 you bolded all but Stajan are works in progress. Here's hoping.

I would really like to see Granlund play a year or 2 in the AHL (get away from Europe).  In battle drills (at dev camp) he gets easily pushed around and can't fight through traffic and commonly gives up.  He is fairly small yet, but he will have an uphill battle adjusting to NHL style of players and play.  Knight and Reinhart will be ahead of him on C depth since they can play tougher minutes.  Don't see room for  him in the near term - he's one of those guys you want to play in your top 6 (unless we stuff him on wing?).

I would really like to see Granlund play a year or 2 in the AHL (get away from Europe).  In battle drills (at dev camp) he gets easily pushed around and can't fight through traffic and commonly gives up.  He is fairly small yet, but he will have an uphill battle adjusting to NHL style of players and play.  Knight and Reinhart will be ahead of him on C depth since they can play tougher minutes.  Don't see room for  him in the near term - he's one of those guys you want to play in your top 6 (unless we stuff him on wing?).

He played wing for a portion of the scrimmage today.  He played wing last season as well.  Strong shot and smaller frame.  He fits as a winger to me.  

He apparently has an AHL out clause that lets him go back home if left in the AHL for more then a month.  If he is kept in the AHL i hope he recognizes he needs to learn the NA game and sticks it out.  I would hate to see him back in Europe.  

He apparently has an AHL out clause that lets him go back home if left in the AHL for more then a month.  If he is kept in the AHL i hope he recognizes he needs to learn the NA game and sticks it out.  I would hate to see him back in Europe.  

Yeah, hopefully they can convince him that his development would be better served in NA, most prospects go home if they have the option though.

• 2 weeks later...

This season is great in that you can feel a shift in energy. When reviewing our roster on cap geek, we have some glaring players that look out of place on this roster.  This  new shift should start putting some energy back in to the dressing room, as the old country club atmosphere is gone.

With roster players, I see Knight making this team. The reason he chose Calgary was the fact it was his best chance to start, barring a injury or a really bad camp I can see him making it. I would also like to see Monahan make the club as well. There is going to finally be a lot of pressure to make this roster put on the vets, especially on D and forwards. The best part is the rotation that can occur with abbey if someone is not performing. Nothing is guaranteed on this roster anymore. As we may not have a competitive team this season, it will be however hard to stay on the team if Hartley has any balls.

This wouldn't be a bad move for us and Grabovski. The Flames could pay him what is required and he should be a first line guy on this team at worst 2nd line centre. It would provide some scoring up front but also provide him a spot light to sign.  

Whether right or wrong I was also hoping to get rid of some veterans to allow younger guys a roster spot. We all know that more ice time should increase their skill levels, much like Brodie.  More ice time also increases market value as well. Grabo will be a temp niche on this team if we get him. If he plays well I believe he has fair more return value in a trade than most veterans we have now.

Rumor is the Flames are one of three teams still in the running for Grabovski. If it is true and we sign him that is going to make the competition at C much tougher this season and in the future. 

Rumor is the Flames are one of three teams still in the running for Grabovski. If it is true and we sign him that is going to make the competition at C much tougher this season and in the future. 

If they sign Grabo, it would most likely be 2-3 yrs to give the prospects time to grow.

I would see the centers lining up like this:

#1 Grabo

#2 Backlund

#3 Stajan/Monahan

#4 Knight

Stajan would be a healthy scratch for Monahan's 9 game try-out; if they intend on keeping him in the NHL, they need to trade a vet or two.  I would shift Horak to the wing.  Again, too many forwards, but I like his compete level and the fact he is still a young guy. We really need to move some players before the season starts.  The return may not be quite as good as TDL, but risk of injury is revoved.

During an interview Conroy said that if a prospect is close to a veteran in camp the job will go to the prospect.  

I didn't hear the interview but it would seem to make more sense if Conroy said that if the prospect was better or even with the vet then they'd go with the prospect.  In the end if your running a team you still want the better player out there, prospect or vet.

I think it's also an easy statement to make as most of the vets are still pretty safe with their position on the roster as their isn't enough "better" prospects at the moment to bump them all off the roster.

It's another form of "jobs are on the line", it's intended to make everyone ready to go at camp.  But I do see the open spots more about the proscpects fighting it out amongst themselves.

I personally like that if a prospect is ready to be on the roster then give him the spot if it's there and I like having spots open to give them a chance.  But on the flip side, if the vet is still the better option then if your wanting to win (which you should be) you go with the vet.  Just like the draft, the roster is BPA.

• 4 weeks later...

During an interview Conroy said that if a prospect is close to a veteran in camp the job will go to the prospect.  Camp in September is going to be a war in terms of veterans and players fighting for jobs.  Here is how I see things starting:

Centre

Some of these guys may be moved to wing, but C is our deepest position come this Fall.  

1. Stajan
  2. Backlund
  3. Horak: Still a young guy but has 81 NHL games played
  4. Knight: The Flames have indicated they expect him to make the team.  So has the player. 
  5. Monahan: They hope Monahan makes a case to stay in the NHL after an almost certain 9 game try out.
  6. Reinhart: Was a call up last season and was identified by Conroy as a guy with a chance to make the team.
  7. Granlund: Another guy identified by Conroy as fighting for a spot.  Has an AHL out clause if in the AHL for more then a month.  Had a great development camp. 
  8. Bouma: According to the team he would have made the team last season if not for injuries.  Candidate for wing.  
  9. Byron: He has fallen off the radar some but is still a threat for the NHL.  Could be at wing.  

Other possibilities: Jones, Nemisz, Street

Wing

More of a competition of the veterans then of the prospects.  But it is possible players like Horak, Byron, or Bouma are moved to wing and add some competition.  

1. Cammalleri
  2. Glencross
  3. Stempniak
  4. Hudler
  5. Galiardi
  6. Jones
  7. Jackman
  8. McGrattan
  9. Baertschi: Not much to say.  Should be a lock to make the roster.  
  10. Hanowski: Played some games in the NHL last season.  Probably needs a year in the AHL (at least)

Other possibilities: Ferland, Bancks, Elson, Poirier

Defense

There are some good young players ready to join the team.  This should be a tough competition for jobs.  

1. Giordano
  2. Wideman
  3. Butler
  4. Russell
  5. O'Brien
  6. Smith
  7. Brodie: Really would be the 'upset special' if he doesn't make the team
  8. Breen: Flames were big most of last season that he is almost ready for the NHL
  9. Cundari: Looked good in his late season call-up
  10. Billins: He is 24 and Feaster said he may fight for a spot

Other possibilities: Wotherspoon, Culkin, Ramage

Goalie 

The Flames don't have a clear starter opening up a brutal fight for NHL games.

1. MacDonald
  2. Ramo: The Flames wanted him in the NHL last season.  He has a spot to lose. 
  3. Berra: Made a case in development camp to at least get a look. 
  4. Ortio: Was upset not to be in the conversation for NHL jobs.  He will get his chance.  

Other possibilities: Brossoit

Wow. I look at all those names and think, not one, not a single one, is a stand out player. we are going to stink the league up this yeah.

Wow. I look at all those names and think, not one, not a single one, is a stand out player. we are going to stink the league up this yeah.

The theme of this year isn't to win anyways, so it's not a big deal if no one stands out.   With the infusion of the kids, we won't know how they stand out until a few years down the road.

Preference would be to ice a competitive team night in and night out, and end up with the first overall pick in the 2014 draft.  We'll see how this plays out in the coming season.

As one of the guys patting his own back as calling for this rebuild, then what exactly did you expect differently from the roster this early in the rebuild?? Do tell........

Archived