The Official Monahan Thread

DirtyDeeds

Monahan staying the right choice?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Monahan staying the right choice?

Hayes drove the 2nd line on BC and then the team wasn't right. They added Hayes to Johnny's line and couldn't go back because that line was too good.

AnOther player that went from college to the NHL was Krieger, no?

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities and if he is good enough, I think he is a Hartley type player.

I think he spends a year I the A though.

Played 20 ish game. spent more time in the A bu by his 2nd year he was basically full time NHL

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it time yet to say they may be messing around with Bennett to much ? Play here, play there, play with this guy, play with that guy.

Just my thoughts but when Frolik is back I would like to see a line of Ferland LW, Bennett C and Frolik RW and leave it in place.

Give Backlund, Granlund LW and Jooris RW. They seem to have put the Bouma LW, Stajan C and Jones RW line back together.

Park Raymond and Bollig.

Just to jump in here on Jankowski, I think you both make some good points however our scouts at the time of drafting him that young must have seen something special with his talents. I think first get him here and then reassess his talent maturity. I also like the idea of him being considered for RW, why not both Gaudreau and Monahan had big strong RWs in college and Junior respectively. I don't think we need to be hard and fast on where he belongs at this stage.

You can't have it both ways Mac...

In the other thread you are asking for Bennett to be played at his natural position and to not touch the setup.

In this thread you are suggesting it won't hurt to play Janko on RW(He shoots Left) and not his natural position. Your reasoning is so he can be a strong help to Johnny and Mony? 

I personally don't like the idea of Jankowski on the wing. Whenever I've watched him he looks more natural at center. Providence started him on the wing for his NCAA career and his numbers always seemed more limited on the wing and seemed to improve once he became a center. Not to mention, finding a center who can play a 200ft game at his size and skating ability is much more difficult, and thus a better asset, then finding a winger to do the same. 

That creates a problem then. Two  of Bennett, Granlund or Jankowski have to be converted to wingers. 

Only Janko or Bennett are going to center the second line. 

Bennett has chemistry with Granlund and Frolik which sets up a line. 

That sort of leaves us moving Janko to the RW to fit him into the top 6. 

Realistically we have 3 guys who should play top 6 center (Monahan, Bennett, Janko) and one guy who would be a decent second line center (Granlund). We do NOT have a top 3 RW. We need a second line LW. 

Gaudreau and Frolik can play their natural wings easily.

That means two guys get converted whether we like it or not. 

Granlund's game is more that of a winger and he should be the one on LW rather than Bennett who is struggling there.

That means one of Bennett or Janko gets converted to the RW. Bennett clearly plays better as a center. 

So unless we're bumping Bennet or Janko down to the third line or trading one of them, quite simply one of them plays wing. 

I'm not ready to call Granlund and NHLer yet so to me they don't have a problem yet at all. So far for me, Granlund has done exactly what he did last year, good for the first 5 games and then very mediocre ever since. he has more to prove. Jankowski also has to make the NHL first so let's not get too ahead of ourselves. 

Either way, its a terrific problem to have so I don't even like using the word "problem". If you have too many centers you should be thrilled. 

Granlund should really be a LW, or even on RW.  He's a natural shooter.  You tend to see that more on the wing.  

If Janko becomes what I think he could be, then he bumps Backlund out.  That is presuming a lot, but he seems to be more of Backlund style with potential for more scoring.

i actually agree and have felt since watching him in Junior Granland was a winger not a center becuase he shoots, he doesn't set up or pass overly well IMO. I get the attraction to playing him at center becuaes he is very safe defensivly but I just don't see him every being albe to create enough offence out of center ice to be a top 9 center. not yet anyway.

I think thats getting a head of ourselves. I think it lines up really nice that when Jankowski is ready to be in the NHL full time, Backlund's contract is expiring but Jankowski will have a chance to beat out Backlund or force him to the wing if necessary. Options, but a few bridges to cross before we get there. 

i actually agree and have felt since watching him in Junior Granland was a winger not a center becuase he shoots, he doesn't set up or pass overly well IMO. I get the attraction to playing him at center becuaes he is very safe defensivly but I just don't see him every being albe to create enough offence out of center ice to be a top 9 center. not yet anyway.

I think thats getting a head of ourselves. I think it lines up really nice that when Jankowski is ready to be in the NHL full time, Backlund's contract is expiring but Jankowski will have a chance to beat out Backlund or force him to the wing if necessary. Options, but a few bridges to cross before we get there.

Honestly the part that bugs me the most is how bad granlund is in the faceoff dot, and the lack of improvement. It's really no wonder that line does poorly when they only win the draw 30% of the time. Although they still kinda do good in terms of possession so who knows. I'd like to see bennett back at centre he creates more, is better in the dot and isent terrible in the d zone. It's not like they got a lot of d zone starts anyways.

The idea that the center is the guy responsible for coming back doesn't have to be the case.  When Monahan was learning the game, the winger covered that part of the game.  It worked quite well for him, and could easily work in this case.  Granlund shoots, Bennett goes to the net and Granlund or the other winger comes back first.  

I want to see the strongest faceoff guy taking draws.  Admittedly, that seems to be Monahan or Colborne.  Whatever.  Put Sam where he is most effective and find the wingers that fit.  That is all.

I like the idea of eventually moving Backlund to the wing because if he can stay healthy, he can cover center in a pinch if there are injuries.

Honestly the part that bugs me the most is how bad granlund is in the faceoff dot, and the lack of improvement. It's really no wonder that line does poorly when they only win the draw 30% of the time. Although they still kinda do good in terms of possession so who knows. I'd like to see bennett back at centre he creates more, is better in the dot and isent terrible in the d zone. It's not like they got a lot of d zone starts anyways.

Huh???

eb21455b5b61c222be0b5c541f41dfd8.jpg

Seeing as this is the Mony thread he was awesome too:

b0ac2f2354be69774cfa4d473191fb24.png

Granlund had a good night but before we get too ahead of ourselves lets remember he is still 39% on the season in the faceoff dot after a 36% season last year. Pretty accurate to say he is terrible at faceoffs. Quite frankily I think Granlund needs to go. Despite winning draws last night he was a 9% Corsi. he is offering NOTHING in the way of offence and basically he is where offence goes to die in the offensive zone. His only good play in the Ducks zone last night was drawing a penalty and IMO he is really dragging down Bennet's game. Bennet is basiclaly having to do everyting himself becuase he never has anyone in a support position in the offensive zone he can use or pass too.

I'm really hoping this faceoff trend continues for Monahan. Last 22 games he has been averaged 53% in the dot where in the first 14 games he was only 43%. It would be really key for the Flames if they could finally get someone who culd stay over 50% especially out of their number 1 center. 

Granlund had a good night but before we get too ahead of ourselves lets remember he is still 39% on the season in the faceoff dot after a 36% season last year. Pretty accurate to say he is terrible at faceoffs. Quite frankily I think Granlund needs to go. Despite winning draws last night he was a 9% Corsi. he is offering NOTHING in the way of offence and basically he is where offence goes to die in the offensive zone. His only good play in the Ducks zone last night was drawing a penalty and IMO he is really dragging down Bennet's game. Bennet is basiclaly having to do everyting himself becuase he never has anyone in a support position in the offensive zone he can use or pass too.

I'm really hoping this faceoff trend continues for Monahan. Last 22 games he has been averaged 53% in the dot where in the first 14 games he was only 43%. It would be really key for the Flames if they could finally get someone who culd stay over 50% especially out of their number 1 center. 

I think we will see Monahan continue to improve in the circle.

Sam's line started in the O-zone exactly zero times.  Jones' Corsi was 0%.  Don't even know how that is possible.  You may not like the offense Granlund put up, but what exactly did Colborne have to offer in this or recent games.  About as much as Bollig.  I don't like the idea of Granlund at center, but it's just one of the coaching decisions that are perplexing.  I'm all for using Granlund on the wing with Backlund, since he doesn't add offense either.  Bring up a hungry LW to play with Sam.  Elson or Agostino or even Poirier.

Write it off as a dislike for Bollig and Raymond, but neither is the answer.  Bollig had zero effect last night.  He didn't take numbers and hunt down the hackers.  He didn't do anything offensively or defensively.  He wasn't a liability, but then again he was just a relative no-show.  Give me a Jooris or Granlund that actually do something out there.  

Sam's line started in the O-zone exactly zero times.  Jones' Corsi was 0%.  Don't even know how that is possible.  You may not like the offense Granlund put up, but what exactly did Colborne have to offer in this or recent games.  About as much as Bollig.  I don't like the idea of Granlund at center, but it's just one of the coaching decisions that are perplexing.  I'm all for using Granlund on the wing with Backlund, since he doesn't add offense either.  Bring up a hungry LW to play with Sam.  Elson or Agostino or even Poirier.

Write it off as a dislike for Bollig and Raymond, but neither is the answer.  Bollig had zero effect last night.  He didn't take numbers and hunt down the hackers.  He didn't do anything offensively or defensively.  He wasn't a liability, but then again he was just a relative no-show.  Give me a Jooris or Granlund that actually do something out there.

That's the part I don't understand having granlund play shutdown minutes against getzlad makes 0 sense. I don't get why you would do that, I actually would like to see a line of granlund, backlund and Hudler. Then put bennett with frolik and ferland. I'm not sure if you should put colborne, Stajan Jones together or bouma stajan Jones. We honestly have too many options for the bottom 6, but the wrong options at the same time.

That's the part I don't understand having granlund play shutdown minutes against getzlad makes 0 sense. I don't get why you would do that, I actually would like to see a line of granlund, backlund and Hudler. Then put bennett with frolik and ferland. I'm not sure if you should put colborne, Stajan Jones together or bouma stajan Jones. We honestly have too many options for the bottom 6, but the wrong options at the same time.

It's true we need to trade about 3 players, Hudler, Backlund and Colborne and move Granlund to LW. Go with this.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Jones

Ferland, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Stajan, Jooris

Granlund, Grant, Hamilton

It's true we need to trade about 3 players, Hudler, Backlund and Colborne and move Granlund to LW. Go with this.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Jones

Ferland, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Stajan, Jooris

I like the way that looks.

I just might end up losing Jones for a better rw in the future but that's very well how the team could look next season.

I like the way that looks.

I just might end up losing Jones for a better rw in the future but that's very well how the team could look next season.

Hard to say what will happen, we know we have work to do on RW no matter what happens. Jones and Jooris could both be gone.

This looks like a Panthers beat reporter. Not sure of his credability but if true this is going to be a very good comparison for Monahan. Barkov has been better so far this season when healthy but Monahan has had the better career to date. 

Panthers,working on tying up Barkov on 8 year deal acc to source #FlaPanthers

Gaudreau, Monahan, Jones

Ferland, Bennett, Frolik

Bouma, Stajan, Jooris

er what?

Granlund > Ferland

Hudler > Jones (should trade Jones while value high)

Backlund > Stajan

Three out of four things here make no sense to me. 

er what?

Granlund > Ferland

Hudler > Jones (should trade Jones while value high)

Backlund > Stajan

Three out of four things here make no sense to me. 

Think about the contract situations and maybe it become more clear.

I regards to your thoughts that Granlund is better than Ferland, how do you qualify that statement ?

Hudler has value and as a FA you need to trade him if you don't intend to resign him. Jones you can use him to ride out the remainder of the season as he will maybe net you a 3rd rd pick.

Same goes for Backlund he has value and a good contract however Stajan has a similar contract and would be harder to move. Stajan has more value than being wasted as a 4th line C. Also we will need spaces to work with to eventually moves a few of these prospects into the mix.

Hudler has been ineffective. We need to get him off the top line. We also need someone up there to protect Gaudreau.

Plus, Bennett needs to be put back to centre.

My lines

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland

Colborne-Bennett-Hudler

Granlund-Backlund-Jones

Bouma-Stajan-Hamilton

Archived