Official 2013 Nhl Draft Day Thread

s4xon

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am of the believe that Gaudreau isn't an NHL player and I would trade him while his stock his high.

I don't think the Flames believe that.  I also think his value is more then a 2-rounder.  (I don't believe it either.  The kids has been constantly written off but he keeps defying those people).  

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much activity from Feaster. He is too quite. I can only imagine that something is going on or he's been told no to the players he was interested in, regardless I will continue to wait. Exciting time. I hope we snag an early second round pick and pick up another prospect with top nine potential. 

Edit: Awesome job by the 'Habs. Now the Oilers have to continue to look for another goaltender! 

I'm actually satisfied with the Flames 2013 First Round draft. 

They drafted a center (Monahan) that can play NEXT season and will be slotted in the 1C slot with the potential to boot. 

They drafted a goal scorer (Poirier) that can probably make the roster next season and be slotted as a 3A/B LW with the potential to be a top six forward. 

They drafted another all around player (Klimchuk) who can probably make the Flames next season, too, and again with the potential to be a top six forward. 

Overall, I think it was a step in the right direction for the Flames rebuild. They just got three solid picks. Good job, IMHO, for Feaster. 

I don't think any of the players Calgary drafted in the first round are ready to play next year.

Monahan could use a year to get stronger and a chance to play in the WJC would be good for his development.

The two wingers need two years or so before they are ready IMO.

I wonder if you can flip Gaudreau for a 2nd. I would do that. Some real good defenseman available this round.

If I have a plan (and I hope John Weisbrod has a plan) then it is to develop Gaudreau into an NHL ready player and then trade him for an NHL ready D (If we don't need him!). So far I don't even believe that we are taking a risk by doing that.

I don't think any of the players Calgary drafted in the first round are ready to play next year.

Monahan could use a year to get stronger and a chance to play in the WJC would be good for his development.

I agree that ideally you want Monahan down for he more year but my concern there is sending him back to Ottawa who should be better but not exactly very good so other than the WJC you might not be providing a great developmental track but it all comes down to training camp

That's the type of move that would come back to bite you. Give the kid a chance to show what he has or trade him for a big return. A second is not enough for him.

I think if you give him a chance he turns into a Nathan Gerbe who doesn't score enough to be a top 6 guy and isn't big enough or physical enough to play in the bottom 6. Then he has no value.

good spot for Fucale to go

I am waiting for the inevitable Fucale versus Ramo comparables (selected with the pick we gave up in the Cammy/Bourque/Ramo trade).

Shinkurak to Vancouver.  Fucale with Calgary's second.  Sigh.  Fuel the fire.   

I agree that ideally you want Monahan down for he more year but my concern there is sending him back to Ottawa who should be better but not exactly very good so other than the WJC you might not be providing a great developmental track but it all comes down to training camp

Agreed. Unless he doesn't look ready in camp there is no reason to return Monahan to the 67's.

That's true. I wonder if there is a way to put pressure on to force a trade out of Ottawa.

That's where I disagree. 

Monahan was the best player on a purely bad team. I think he is ready to make the leap and I honestly believe that if you keep him on the 67's he'll get side tracked in terms of development. Sign him to a ELC and let him play 2C minutes or 3C minutes for a while on the Flames roster and at times 1C so you can smoothly develop him on an NHL roster. Since he can't go to the AHL, that is your best option and it is an option for the Flames. 

Both wingers will make a push for roster spots, too, and with future trades looming and F/A signings I can see it as a possibility depending on what direction the Flames do go. Do they try to sign good players (Vinny and Horton) to try to get back into a playoff picture since Feater doesn't like rebuilding, or do you let the youngsters come up and try to prove themselves like the end of last year? 

Ultimately, none of us know what Feaster and companies 'strategy' is. If they make the roster, they make the roster. And only then can you legitimately judge them at an NHL level. :)

Archived