Nieuwendyk Out, Nill In

tachaudh

I'm sure Joe will resurface somewhere.  Just out of curiosity, how happy is ownership with Jay right now?  I'm just wondering because of Niewendyk's history with Calgary, and Calgary ownership willingness to go  with a manager/assistant manager in the past.  Would this be a possibility?

I'm sure Joe will resurface somewhere.  Just out of curiosity, how happy is ownership with Jay right now?  I'm just wondering because of Niewendyk's history with Calgary, and Calgary ownership willingness to go  with a manager/assistant manager in the past.  Would this be a possibility?

My own opinion is that Joe wouldn't be an upgrade over Jay.  I think Dallas in a way over the last 3 years has overachieved despite what Joe had done, with losing Richards for nothing, the Neal trade, and the fact he gave Pardy 2 mil per year, aren't the type of moves I like.  I also don't like going within the teams history for management positions, just find it to be a way for a guy to tarnish his reputation within the fan base, look at Riser never remembered for his play or leadership just the Gilmour trade.

I don't think he is horrible but I also don't think he is very good. He made the same mistake the Flames did he thought he could push to compete and semi rebuild at the same time and he needed to choose one or the other. some of his moves were solid but overal they were under whelming and I would have no interest in him as the GM here.

Nieuwendyk is a terrible GM.  The Stars have been treading waters for awhile now and every time they make some progress, Nieuwendyk would seem to trade the wrong guy or sign the wrong guy.  Not every good player translates into a good GM and Nieuwendyk is a good example.

That said, he may be a super slight upgrade over Jay Feaster.  I just wouldn't go through the hassle to replace Feaster unless I can pry a Jim Nill equivalent out of somewhere else.

His moves weren't impressive as a GM, but that doesn't mean he can't be useful to an organization.

I think that it can be harder for superstars to know how to build a team.   But he would probably make a great scout or assistant gm.

Most of Dallas's issues were money-related.   So there was some scapegoating going on there as well.

Considering the restrictions he had to work with I think he did a fairly good job.

1. Old Owner selling the team. Bankruptcy

2. Minimum budget to work with.

3. Dealing with Benn refusing to report.

4. New Owners

He did not endear himself to the fanbase. His constant trading away popular players would do that.

I am not confident he would be a good fit here even as an Assistant. Isn't that pretty much what Weisbrod is doing and Conroy in training for?

Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel John Weisbrod

Archived