Is Iginla Cursed?

The_People1

Should we turn this into a "what will Iggy get on the open market?" topic?

I was wondering today if Pens are going to make him an offer. I am not sure they have cap room to offer him much but you would think 1 more year at least. Even Ray Borque couldn't do it the year he was traded.

I did sort of like the way Grapes defended him. Said they played him on wrong wing, played him to his weaknesses. Didn't give him the best of matchups.

If he enters the free market he should still be the biggest catch for some team. Not interested in getting him back here(Sorry Iggy we are committed to this refit)

I was wondering today if Pens are going to make him an offer. I am not sure they have cap room to offer him much but you would think 1 more year at least. Even Ray Borque couldn't do it the year he was traded.

I did sort of like the way Grapes defended him. Said they played him on wrong wing, played him to his weaknesses. Didn't give him the best of matchups.

If he enters the free market he should still be the biggest catch for some team. Not interested in getting him back here(Sorry Iggy we are committed to this refit)

I felt a part of that is Iginla did not assert himself properly.  He was given every opportunity to shoot the puck the way he did in Calgary, take the puck to the front of the net hard like we know he can, win the battles along the boards, etc.  Instead, he did none of that.  His stats were good but it masked the fact that he was invisible away from the puck. When he wasn't scoring, he wasn't doing anything at all.  I would even go to the extent to suggest he was a turnover machine.  He was not an impact guy.

I don't buy that he was mis-used because Iginla didn't win puck battles and he didn't win battles infront of the net.  Those things aren't coaching.  Those things are individual talent.  Iginla was passing the puck to linemates and sitting back. He was playing to "not lose" when he's a much better player when he plays to win.  He was a complete passenger.

Archived