• Other

Who had the best deadline as Sellers?

Buffalo, Calgary, Dallas...?

===========

Buffalo

OUT:
D Leopold, D Regehr, F Pominville, D Brennan, '14 4th

IN:
'13 1st (Min),  '13 2nd (StL), '14 2nd (Min), '14 2nd (LA), '15 2nd (LA), '13 5th (Fla), conditional '13 5th (StL)
G Hackett, F Larsson

===========

Calgary

OUT:
Iginla, Bouwmeester, Comeau

IN:
'13 1st (Pens), conditional '13 1st (StL), '13 5th (CBJ), F Agostino, F Hanowski, D Cundari, G Berra

===========

Dallas

OUT:

Morrow, Jagr, Roy, conditional 7th

IN:
'13 2nd (Van), conditional 2nd (Bos- ECF), '13 5th (Pens), D Morrow, D Connauton, F Sneep, F MacDermid, F Payne

===========

Others:

Preds or Yotes, etc

OUT:

F Sullivan, F Lombadi, F Torres

IN:

'13 3rd (SJS), '13 7th (NJD), F McMillan

I voted flames, but I think it depends on how you interpret the question.

From the perspective of who "got the most", I think from your list you have to give it to calgary.  Just as the team that gets the best player wins the trade, the flames have the most to show from their selling. Thats why in my vote I went with this one. 

Now I don't think the flames had the best VALUE, I think that would go to Buff (from your list). The flames definitely did not win from this perspective, but there were things working against the flames such as NTC's and large salaries. If I could go off the board, even though they were not sellers in the general sense, I would have to say Ottawa won the value proposition since they had to "sell" a goalie. Depending on how the players turn out, this could tilt in the flames favor (since they were specific names, with picks i think you have to judge it by the probability of success rather then the actual person).

I would be interested to see what the flames would have gotten from Toronto had kipper decided he wanted to go there, maybe that would have been a high value trade.

Buffalo. Why? Because they got more with less. Simple as that.

Flames might have gotten more 1st round picks, but the Sabres got 2 NHL-caliber prospects, a 1st, and a bunch of seconds for Jason Pominville and a few depth players. We sold a top pairing defender and a winger who's at least equivalent to Pominville production-wise and has a shorter contract for what amounts to a couple of C and D-level prospects and 2 1sts, and then Comeau for a depth pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo. Why? Because they got more with less. Simple as that.

Flames might have gotten more 1st round picks, but the Sabres got 2 NHL-caliber prospects, a 1st, and a bunch of seconds for Jason Pominville and a few depth players. We sold a top pairing defender and a winger who's at least equivalent to Pominville production-wise and has a shorter contract for what amounts to a couple of C and D-level prospects and 2 1sts, and then Comeau for a depth pick.

This.

Not that I'm dissapointed in the Flames, or anything.  I think they're a solid 2nd.  But don't be fooled by the prospects we took on.  Nope.  Our win was the 1st-round picks.  Which we paid dearly for.  So hopefully, we use them wisely.  For Buffalo to get a 1st without really giving up anyone of significant value...nice work.

Archived