Which Flames Prospects Will Join The Heat Next Season?

agreed Cross....I really don't know what to do with Irving now.   If it were the Flame's first time bungling up their goaltender developement, I would hang it on Irving.  Given the Flame's history, I have to assume it's a bit of both.

So, if Ortio gets the starting position, what do we do with Brossoit, Berra, etc?

Is it a given that Brust is on his way out then?

I remember early on when asked about Brust, Troy Ward said something along the lines of he knew Brust from previous experience and also knew what he brought to the table. He is getting up there in age so not sure a Flames/Heat spot, is in the future cards for him.

This was early last year when he was saying stuff like "maybe people should be thinking Taylor for the Flames callups instead of Irving"  when asked about why Irving wasn't getting starts.

Thanks DirtyDeeds, good to know.  Interesting times ahead between the pipes.

Well I thought what Troy Ward said at the time then was a bit odd. Odd because Irving had pretty much left us with a decent impression from his play up here before.

I think a number of things happended:

Irving showed up out of shape and not ready to compete for an AHL job. or Irving figured he was a shoe in for the Flames, maybe both.

Troy Ward lost confidence in Irving.

With Kippers injury it gave us a chance to test Karlsson, Irving and eventually Taylor after Irving beat Karlsoon and failed to perform the few starts he got.

Interesting times is an understatement. If I had to guess I would say Kipper will retire, or they figure Kipper will retire. Why waste a  gazillion contracts on a bunch of goaltenders if you expect him to return for a year or two?

Flames Goaltender Prospects: 6zvqqq.gif

I am no longer happy with the "Insert Best Player not in the NHL" thinking. Cervenka turned me sour to that likely working out for us.

a3e4be0a26ff8ab5ac9513155195f528.png

Taylor gone overseas. Ramo and Berra both labeled best not in NHL. It is looking like Joey Mac as our main and who knows will back him up next season.

Well I thought what Troy Ward said at the time then was a bit odd. Odd because Irving had pretty much left us with a decent impression from his play up here before.

I think a number of things happended:

Irving showed up out of shape and not ready to compete for an AHL job. or Irving figured he was a shoe in for the Flames, maybe both.

Troy Ward lost confidence in Irving.

With Kippers injury it gave us a chance to test Karlsson, Irving and eventually Taylor after Irving beat Karlsoon and failed to perform the few starts he got.

Interesting times is an understatement. If I had to guess I would say Kipper will retire, or they figure Kipper will retire. Why waste a  gazillion contracts on a bunch of goaltenders if you expect him to return for a year or two?

Flames Goaltender Prospects: 6zvqqq.gif

I am no longer happy with the "Insert Best Player not in the NHL" thinking. Cervenka turned me sour to that likely working out for us.

a3e4be0a26ff8ab5ac9513155195f528.png

Taylor gone overseas. Ramo and Berra both labeled best not in NHL. It is looking like Joey Mac as our main and who knows will back him up next season.

I dont see jmac being the #1, hes a quality 15-20 game backup kinda guy.. if it comes to pass that hes the best we got then I think youll see us go get another thru fa or trade.

I agree leland and likely Brust are gone

If hes eligible, then I see brossoit do one more year of junior, otherwise hes on the farm as understudy to ortio. Or ramo/berra

Regarding ortio, he kind of worries me..yes hes young, yes hes been winning in his league, and had a great wc..but hes doing it with a sub .900 sv%, if he cant get to the .900 plus level in the A he will not survive

If we end up with too many playing we can always loan them out

I dont see jmac being the #1, hes a quality 15-20 game backup kinda guy.. if it comes to pass that hes the best we got then I think youll see us go get another thru fa or trade.

I agree leland and likely Brust are gone

If hes eligible, then I see brossoit do one more year of junior, otherwise hes on the farm as understudy to ortio. Or ramo/berra

Regarding ortio, he kind of worries me..yes hes young, yes hes been winning in his league, and had a great wc..but hes doing it with a sub .900 sv%, if he cant get to the .900 plus level in the A he will not survive

If we end up with too many playing we can always loan them out

While I agree that Joey Mac seems the backup we have long looked for. He was also signed and told he could compete for the #1 slot this coming season though. Lets assume Kipper will retire and won't be back. That leaves at least 3 competing for the starter slot. So what if he wins it with good play over Berra and Ramo.(We won't know all in the running. (even sign Ramo until July 5th or later)

I am not overly worried about Ortio. He is not slated to compete for Flames next season. If he can put in a good year in the AHL and show he has adapted this time to N. American, but that is 1-2 years down the line.

From my list there is potential to have 9 of our 50 contracts tied up in goaltenders. Likely there won't be that many as Taylor has already committed to go overseas, I think Gilles is returning to College, but you get my drift.

While I agree that Joey Mac seems the backup we have long looked for. He was also signed and told he could compete for the #1 slot this coming season though. Lets assume Kipper will retire and won't be back. That leaves at least 3 competing for the starter slot. So what if he wins it with good play over Berra and Ramo.(We won't know all in the running. (even sign Ramo until July 5th or later)

I am not overly worried about Ortio. He is not slated to compete for Flames next season. If he can put in a good year in the AHL and show he has adapted this time to N. American, but that is 1-2 years down the line.

From my list there is potential to have 9 of our 50 contracts tied up in goaltenders. Likely there won't be that many as Taylor has already committed to go overseas, I think Gilles is returning to College, but you get my drift.

I think I get your drift.  But my list is shorter than yours.  I count only 5 contracts to goalies for next year (Kipper, Ortio, Brossoit, Berra, MacDonald), 1 UFA (Irving), 2 "prospects" (Ramo, Gillies) and 1 AHL UFA (Brust).  Does equal 9 though.

Am I comfortable with this list?  Not entirely.  But this is a "re-whatever you want to call it" year, so I can live with it.

Flames

1.  Ramo / MacDonald

2.  Berra

Heat

1.  Brust (should sign an AHL only deal again)

2.  Ortio / Brossoit

Assuming Kipper retires, Irving is not re-signed, and Gillies is back in college.  I just don't want another knee jerk reaction when somebody stumbles.  There will be hiccups in net this year, I think we should just ride it out.

Archived