Getzlaf Extended

Carty

The Ducks have re-signed Ryan Getzlaf to an eight-year contract extension...

Terms are not fully disclosed yet, but it sounds like $66 mil at an average of $8.25 mil a season...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659202&navid=nhl:topheads

Wow...   Didn't think it would be for quite that much...

Getzlaf will be 36 years old when the contract expires, so that will lock him up until at least close to the end of his career...

I wanted him on the Flames. :P

Ehh, oh well. Price could end up being a little on the high end there. Time shall tell. Wonder what's gunna happen with Perry now. 

The benchmark has been set high for them to re-sign Perry...   If Getzlaf is worth $8.25 mil/yr to them. Perry is worth?

Perry himself is worth more than Getzlaf. Getzlaf had an off-year and Perry won the MVP two years ago. Also he is more consistent in general. Although they both had the same contract before, which leads me to think Perry will be offered the exact same contract. It is overpayment, especially for Getzlaf, but he would have gotten 10M on the market. He is the kind of player (number 1 center, still young at 27, won a cup, big, playmaking) who is worth giving it all up.

That's a great signing for the Ducks and a good cap number for them going forward.

Getzlaf's skill and attribute set is as rare as they come in the NHL... not many players like him at all.

his contract value is 13% of next yr's cap, and just going to go down after that.  

The ceiling is set for Perry's contract now since Getzlaf is the more valuable asset (so i disagree with Louis on that one).  

So much for the Owners reasons for the lockout and showing restraint. They are truly their own worst enemy.

So much for understanding what the CBA battle was about...

It was about the size of the pie.. not the size of slices they were cutting.

Reminds me of how much of a joke it was when people were trying to call out Leopold for signing $200 million in 2 contracts when he will likely be spending more than  $1 billion in total contracts over the same duration... Owners were not concerned about the $200 mil.. they were concerned about the $1 billion.  
Ah well..

That's a great signing for the Ducks and a good cap number for them going forward.

Getzlaf's skill and attribute set is as rare as they come in the NHL... not many players like him at all.

his contract value is 13% of next yr's cap, and just going to go down after that.  

The ceiling is set for Perry's contract now since Getzlaf is the more valuable asset (so i disagree with Louis on that one).  

So much for understanding what the CBA battle was about...

It was about the size of the pie.. not the size of slices they were cutting.

Reminds me of how much of a joke it was when people were trying to call out Leopold for signing $200 million in 2 contracts when he will likely be spending more than  $1 billion in total contracts over the same duration... Owners were not concerned about the $200 mil.. they were concerned about the $1 billion.  

Ah well..

I thought you had a decent understanding.

If it was only about the size of the pie there would be no need to drop the cap next year. There wouldn't be new limits on how long a contract you could offer. Obviously the size of the slice is a big factor in it too or they wouldn't have wanted those concessions in there.

I thought you had a decent understanding.

If it was only about the size of the pie there would be no need to drop the cap next year. There wouldn't be new limits on how long a contract you could offer. Obviously the size of the slice is a big factor in it too or they wouldn't have wanted those concessions in there.

?????

Dropping the cap (player/owner share) is all about dropping the size of the pie.

Contract limits - size of the slices.

(And i never said 'only') Of course both were very important variables of the new CBA.. but one of them significantly effects the total money an owner pays out more than the other.  And that variable is the far more important one.

?????

Dropping the cap (player/owner share) is all about dropping the size of the pie.

Contract limits - size of the slices.

(And i never said 'only') Of course both were very important variables of the new CBA.. but one of them significantly effects the total money an owner pays out more than the other.  And that variable is the far more important one.

Thank you. I never said "only either". Obviously both parts were important to coming to an agreement, however the size of the pie the owners got, had little to do with what Getzlaf got today.

Ridiculous logic.

I agree. Getzlaf's body of work is so far beyond ROR's that it's not even comparable. And Getzlaf's dad doesn't throw his teammates under the bus... Intangibles as Daddy O'Reily I think called them.

Thank you. I never said "only either". Obviously both parts were important to coming to an agreement, however the size of the pie the owners got, had little to do with what Getzlaf got today.

??

okaaay... anyways... 

So going back to your original post... "So much for the Owners reasons for the lockout and showing restraint. They are truly their own worst enemy."...

How again is this relevant to the Getzlaf signing again?

??

okaaay... anyways... 

So going back to your original post... "So much for the Owners reasons for the lockout and showing restraint. They are truly their own worst enemy."...

How again is this relevant to the Getzlaf signing again?

Because that kind of money is an overpayment in a cap world...   IMO for any player with the current cap scenario...

Did the Ducks need to try and retain Getzlaf...   Sure, but they just handicapped themselves, and set the bar higher for a few of their other players in the process...

In turn, that will affect other teams because it causes an artificial escalation of perceived worth...

The CBA is never about players like Getzlaf. Elite players always have, and always will, continue to get paid their fair share. The CBA was about lower the pie and IMO specificaly the pie that was starting to see alot of auxiliary players getting stupid contracts. Paying elite players like Getzlaf is part of doing business in the NHL but having to pay upwards of 4 million bucks for an OK 2nd line winger is not. That's cost certainty, not trying to nickle and dime the starts of the league.

That more money that I owuld have paid Getzlaf just becuase I don't like his injury and consistancy history but as I just said i'ts the cost of doing business. If you get a player with his skill set you just have to keep him no matter what the cost if you want to be a contender.

Because that kind of money is an overpayment in a cap world...   IMO for any player with the current cap scenario...

Funny because Crosby is worth his cap it at 8.7 and so is Malkin. There are a handful of centers that are "#1" centers. Getzlaf is one of them. In a cap world having a true top center is worth whatever price you have to pay for one. Teams do not win a cup without one.

Funny because Crosby is worth his cap it at 8.7 and so is Malkin. There are a handful of centers that are "#1" centers. Getzlaf is one of them. In a cap world having a true top center is worth whatever price you have to pay for one. Teams do not win a cup without one.

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it...

Now the Ducks have added Perry for an even bigger cap hit, so that's just 2 players at almost 17 mil a year with a lowered cap...   So, who's next?

As for myself, I tend to agree with this logic...

So much for the Owners reasons for the lockout and showing restraint. They are truly their own worst enemy.

All it takes is one idiot with a pen, and then these kind of deals will artificially drive up other players salaries either when there are players that are compared during negotiations by agents, or through arbitration...

Then the navajo fry bread hits the fan, literally...   We all end up paying more and more to support the game we love...

Then, history repeats, and more teams start have difficulty meeting the bottom line...

Then, we can all wait patiently again for a season to start while they try and sort out the mess again next time...

Yup...   Sounds like a plan...

Archived