Fire Feaster!

Timhunter54

With no bias, I really question Feaster's ability to manage an NHL team. He doesn't have hockey knowledge as a strength of his and he failed misserably with his supposed strength with the offer sheet to O'Rielly.

I'd target someone out of the Pittsburgh organization like JASON BOTTERILL

History of your posting has shown your hate for the Flames. Your inability to separate those feeling shows through with just about all of your suggestions. That history also makes your suggestions most times poor ones for the Flames going forward.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I look over the trade, Calgary got absolutely nothing for Jarome that could help them immediately. Pitts should have at least thrown in a couple of bags of pucks, at least Calgary could use them.
Feister should be canned, great deal for Jarome and a chance to win the cup but again Calgary got nothing in return. Go Pittsburgh, Go

hats off to feastor, are u kidding. why is there so many people on here that talk the talk without a clue on talent. feastor needs to be fired he hasnt got a clue about hockey. king also needs to be fired and hire new scouts. these players calgary got for iginla will be long shot to make it in nhl. this organization is a disgrace and team should be stripped from clueless edwards.

Can't blame Feaster for Iggy trade when his hands were tied from multiple directions. It appears he managed multiple offers(3 was the word) of which Iggy made final decision on.

While I agree King should be replaced I don't hink it will happen because you may end up with just another yes man for the owners(Edwards).(Insert no Brian Burke here)

Edwards has controlling interest, is my understanding so no one can "strip him of anything" clueless or not.

Friedman has a great write up today or yesterday on Feaster's recent performance.  I wish I had a link.  Basically he said that a good NHL organization should seem functional at all times, despite some of the chaos happening under the hood.  There have been too many public controversies around the Flames recently and that isn't a good sign.  

I think Feaster has lost a bunch of credibility.  For the last two seasons he has been the guy telling us (and likely ownership) that this team is good enough and can win.  Two seasons ago he guaranteed the playoffs.  He attempted a multi-year deal on Richards.  He attempted to spend our 1st on O'Reilly.  There was the O'Reilly controversy. The Boston controversy.  The inability to get a great return for Iginla.  He has said that he isn't the guy for a rebuild.  We are rebuilding.  The list goes on.  

Some of that isn't his fault.  But there has been to much negative publicity around this team due directly to his actions.  I think the organization has kept him around due to timing.  They have to make some major moves right now and they can't go looking for another GM.  

But I think it is very likely that he ends up moving on after the trade deadline.  Personally I think that is the right decision as I don't see him as the right guy for a rebuild.  

Friedman has a great write up today or yesterday on Feaster's recent performance.  I wish I had a link.  Basically he said that a good NHL organization should seem functional at all times, despite some of the chaos happening under the hood.  There have been too many public controversies around the Flames recently and that isn't a good sign.  

I think Feaster has lost a bunch of credibility.  For the last two seasons he has been the guy telling us (and likely ownership) that this team is good enough and can win.  Two seasons ago he guaranteed the playoffs.  He attempted a multi-year deal on Richards.  He attempted to spend our 1st on O'Reilly.  There was the O'Reilly controversy. The Boston controversy.  The inability to get a great return for Iginla.  He has said that he isn't the guy for a rebuild.  We are rebuilding.  The list goes on.  

Some of that isn't his fault.  But there has been to much negative publicity around this team due directly to his actions.  I think the organization has kept him around due to timing.  They have to make some major moves right now and they can't go looking for another GM.  

But I think it is very likely that he ends up moving on after the trade deadline.  Personally I think that is the right decision as I don't see him as the right guy for a rebuild.  

Great post (because I agree of course!!).

He stated, "I'm not here for a rebuild".

It's time to start holding these guys to their words, so.....

GOOD. GET LOST.

Take KK with you so we can focus on being a hockey team. And start shaking Weisbrod, this isn't the NBA.

Enter Burke, sorry you were a transition guy Hartley, seeya, enter Ruff.

It's time to get serious about our hockey.

And come back with some serious attitudes.

I agree, but need to go higher too. President sets the tone for the organization and while there are alot of positives he has done there are starting to be alot of negatives with King as well. I think that should be the first priority for the Flames in the offseason is they either have to move Ken King away from hockey operations and let him focus on their business ventures, or they need to fire him outright and bring in someone else. For a guy who has been in the chair as long as he has this organization has opearted with great disfunction for the last several years. That reflects on your leader IMO.

You mean this one?  Your summary meshes about 1/2 way through this article.

That is the one.  Thanks! The part I was referring to was:

But I'm a big believer that the best organizations work like the perfect machine. No matter what happens, no matter what curveball life throws at them, they adjust almost seamlessly. You might be working like crazy behind the scenes, but, in the public eye, it's all cool.

That's not happening in southern Alberta. Nothing seems to occur without controversy or confusion. You can't have that, especially now.

I agree, but need to go higher too. President sets the tone for the organization and while there are alot of positives he has done there are starting to be alot of negatives with King as well. I think that should be the first priority for the Flames in the offseason is they either have to move Ken King away from hockey operations and let him focus on their business ventures, or they need to fire him outright and bring in someone else. For a guy who has been in the chair as long as he has this organization has opearted with great disfunction for the last several years. That reflects on your leader IMO.

I agree with you.  I don't think King is going anywhere.  Not with the business in check and the work on the new arena.  But I would love to see him move out of operations.  With the new GM being President of Operations.  Or get a new President of Operations entirely.  

Burke makes the most sense.  Though as I have said before I am not sure I like the fit.  

There certainly is cause for concern with the way this deal transpired and the evident miscommunication between management and Iginla's agent. 

Iggy allegedly submitted a list of 4 (perhaps 5 including Detroit) teams he would accept a trade to. From my standpoint, that means management is pretty much free to go out and make the best possible deal with the teams on that list. In that situation, the player should not be able to veto a trade with a team that is on the list. If Pittsburgh was the team he wanted to play for, why wasn't management able to discern that? You're essentially wasting time dealing with Boston or any other team if a veto is still available.

Either Iggy had a last minute change of heart and struck Boston off his list, or the purpose of the list and the way the trade was going to go down was not discussed thoroughly between the parties involved. I can't imagine that they agreed that that multiple deals would actually be worked out and then Iggy gets to choose. The NMC is essentially waived once a list is provided!

There certainly is cause for concern with the way this deal transpired and the evident miscommunication between management and Iginla's agent. 

Iggy allegedly submitted a list of 4 (perhaps 5 including Detroit) teams he would accept a trade to. From my standpoint, that means management is pretty much free to go out and make the best possible deal with the teams on that list. In that situation, the player should not be able to veto a trade with a team that is on the list. If Pittsburgh was the team he wanted to play for, why wasn't management able to discern that? You're essentially wasting time dealing with Boston or any other team if a veto is still available.

Either Iggy had a last minute change of heart and struck Boston off his list, or the purpose of the list and the way the trade was going to go down was not discussed thoroughly between the parties involved. I can't imagine that they agreed that that multiple deals would actually be worked out and then Iggy gets to choose. The NMC is essentially waived once a list is provided!

No, the NMC is waived when he signs off a deal. Publicly, the whole arrangement between Iggy and Jay was  cooperative and pretty mutual, but essentially, Feaster asked him for a list. This could have been a much less amicable process than we have assumed and that other than a list being provided, communication lines might have been pretty cold if he felt he was being forced out. He said in his press conference the morning after that if he was going to leave here he wanted to have the best chance of winning. List or no list, Iginla's contract meant he could veto any deal for any reason he chose. I am starting to be concerned by Feaster's mounting catalogue of errors. For a lawyer, he seems to continually screw up on the details and just blunders through. It's dangerous. We were lucky to get away with the O'Reilly debacle and the Boston situation might just come back and bite us.

That is the one.  Thanks! The part I was referring to was:

I agree with you.  I don't think King is going anywhere.  Not with the business in check and the work on the new arena.  But I would love to see him move out of operations.  With the new GM being President of Operations.  Or get a new President of Operations entirely.  

Burke makes the most sense.  Though as I have said before I am not sure I like the fit.  

I'm fine with that as long as King has less say in the direction of the hockey club. Because they basically have a bit of a sport empire in Calgary I think it would make sense for King to be president of Calgary Flames LTD, but hire someone to run the Calgary Flames hockey operations as was rumored last year. They did the same thing with the Stampeders (the Stampeders have their own president it's not King) so would make sense for me to do the same with the Flames. I still like Burke just becuase he gets it done and the success he has had in the past bascially wherever he goes. He basically did a rebuild in Vancovuer and turned that into a perenial contender so i'm not sure i agree with some on here that he doesnt know how to rebuild.

What about Rick Dudley? I didnt really follow if he went anywhere, but I know he gets credit for the Lightings 04 SC team, helping with the scouting with Chicagos 10 SC team, and trying to bring the Thrashers to be a playoff team. I know Winnipeg cut him loose at the start of their franchise.

Im sure there are others who could fit into the GM role that I really dont know about, but Dudleys track record seems good to me as a pretty good replacement. Anybody got anything more on him?

Just found he's asst. GM with Montreal. Would he leave for a GM job here, what do you guys think?

I like Rick Dudley as a hockey person and being part of an organization but I don't like him as the guys pulling the final strings. His record as GM is very mixed and specifically his draft record. Nothing stands out as bad or really poor but he just had a tough time getting it done, seemed like he can bring in some good pieces but never the final pieces and specifically with his draft record i'm not a fan. I think IF, and i capitalize IF becuase I woudln't hold you breath on Feater going anywhere, the Flames were to bring someone in I thnk you either bring someone in with a good track record (ala Burke) or you go with someone who has the scouting and development background ala Ron Hextall or Paul Fenton.

or you go with someone who has the scouting and development background ala Ron Hextall or Paul Fenton.

I am starting to lean more towards Hexrtall if it was feasible, I think he has the skill set and hockey sense to be a good GM...

As an added bonus, he would be a GM that would not like to see any of his goaltenders constantly getting run over...   ;)

No, the NMC is waived when he signs off a deal. Publicly, the whole arrangement between Iggy and Jay was  cooperative and pretty mutual, but essentially, Feaster asked him for a list. This could have been a much less amicable process than we have assumed and that other than a list being provided, communication lines might have been pretty cold if he felt he was being forced out. He said in his press conference the morning after that if he was going to leave here he wanted to have the best chance of winning. List or no list, Iginla's contract meant he could veto any deal for any reason he chose. I am starting to be concerned by Feaster's mounting catalogue of errors. For a lawyer, he seems to continually screw up on the details and just blunders through. It's dangerous. We were lucky to get away with the O'Reilly debacle and the Boston situation might just come back and bite us.

I realize that a player can invoke the NMC at the very last second. But still, the purpose of working with a list is that you can forget about the NMC and focus on what you can do as a management team.

If a player is going to be ruling out a trade to a team that's on his supposed list, then obviously there are going to be problems. My question is why hadn't Feaster established that Iginla would prefer Pittsburgh over Boston BEFORE finalizing a deal with Boston at noon three days ago? It reeks of incompetence.

I like Rick Dudley as a hockey person and being part of an organization but I don't like him as the guys pulling the final strings. His record as GM is very mixed and specifically his draft record. Nothing stands out as bad or really poor but he just had a tough time getting it done, seemed like he can bring in some good pieces but never the final pieces and specifically with his draft record i'm not a fan. I think IF, and i capitalize IF becuase I woudln't hold you breath on Feater going anywhere, the Flames were to bring someone in I thnk you either bring someone in with a good track record (ala Burke) or you go with someone who has the scouting and development background ala Ron Hextall or Paul Fenton.

I am starting to lean more towards Hexrtall if it was feasible, I think he has the skill set and hockey sense to be a good GM...

As an added bonus, he would be a GM that would not like to see any of his goaltenders constantly getting run over...   ;)

One of Calgary's biggest issues has been development of prospects.  This is one aspect of the next GM that would be a must. 

I wouldn't be opposed to having someone like Weisbrod step in.  The guy seems to know his players, has a great eye for building teams with young talent.  As far as the business end of things, I have no doubt he's capable of the logistics.  He's been great for building past Stanley Cup teams.  Especially with something so pressing as a rebuild and doing it right, Weisbrod is a good start. 

I wouldn't be opposed to Burke either, I just feel he slowly lost interest as his time progressed in Toronto.  He was too busy rainbowing it up at the G A Y parade during the last trade deadline.  Also, the Kessel deal is still haunting that team and the fans.  In a smaller market with less attention, I see him losing interest.

I didn't think things would turn out worse than Sutter, but Feaster has had one nightmare to another.  This man has no plan, one month ago he's throwing away a first, now he's looking at a fire sale but afraid to use the r word for fear of sounding like the Oilers.  The only one possibly as dumb as Feaster is Sherman, with how bad our team is and his team is he could have had 2 top 5 picks, without losing the player to the team who signed him.  Cut him loose before he negotiates directly with Illitch to trade J-Bo for a years supply of crazy bread.  

Does nobody think that maybe management is putting it above everybody's heads? Like maybe Pittsburgh never really had much on the table for Iginla, as they already acquired Morrow and gave up a lot. Maybe Pittsburgh was playing hardball with Feaster cuz Feaster wanted too much so they acquired Morrow instead?

Maybe it was known by Feaster, that Pittsburgh was Iggy's preferred destination, I mean of course it should have been known, the whole NHL knew it.

And maybe because of this, Pittsburgh wasn't offering SQUAT, so perhaps, Feaster put the risk with the Bruins hoping the Pens would give a little more?

No team has given up a 1st rounder this year. To try and put a value on a 1st rounder, many teams don't want to put forth whether or not the pick is 20th or 30th.

Calgary management is pretty private, and there decisions are made by MULTIPLE people. NOT just Jay Feaster.

So sorry to tell you this, if the owners approved this trade. Feaster isn't going anywhere. Heck, he'll probably get a contract extension.

On Feaster's resume

Sven Baertschi

Johnny Gaudreau

Jon Gillies

Mark Jankowski

Bill Arnold

Laurent Brossoit

Roman Horak

Markus Granlund

Ben Street

Karri Ramo

Kenny Agostino

Ben Hanowski

Turner Elson

Tyler Wotherspoon

Pat Sieloff

Ryan Culkin

John Ramage

Michael Ferland

These are in no particular order, but there are signs of a rebuilding. (Never included everyone, just off the top of my head)

29 NHL teams think the Flames got more then enough for Iginla. Time will tell, but Feaster won't be getting fired over an ownership approved trade, NO MATTER what happened behind the scenes.

Maybe it's just me, but I am starting to lose more faith in Feaster as time goes by...

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but he is currently doing a damn fine job of shortening his own rope...

In a few short weeks, he has PO'ed a team we have some history in making trades with in Colorado, and more recently incurred the wrath of a team that had a lot of potential down the road for trades due to it's depth in Boston...

The reasoning's behind his moves (or lack thereof) are just sounding more and more like either just rhetoric or hyperbole...

1d88dd311c1ec1bfd514352944028ac2.png?136

"Fool me once", my chicken tikka masala...

"I didn't come here to rebuild the team", good, because I have my doubts as to whether you could...

Couldnt agree more. We ve been missing that guy who  wouldnt let anyone bump our goalie since Phaneuf s been gone. Im so sick of seeing players bump or run into him and nobody does anything about it. I think this is a problem that really needs to be addressed for years now.

I think Feaster is taking way too much heat from you guys. I agree the ROR situation was a major flop. However, outside of that I disagree with most of you. I think we were all fairly happy and still are with some of his FA work. Hudler and Wideman both appear to be reasonable signings. In my opinion the drafting has been far more promising vs years past. A poster above me has listed a long list of personnel changes that I think we can agree have significant potential.

Feasters hands were tied with Iggy let's be honest. The main piece we were all looking for in terms of Iggy was the first rounder and we got it. There is still significant work to be done in the next half week and I believe this is how Feaster will be fairly graded. I am giving Feaster the benefit of the doubt until how i see he handles the JayBo situation. The JayBo deal will be a critical move in the restock process, far more impactful than the Iggy move.

I think Feaster is taking way too much heat from you guys. I agree the ROR situation was a major flop. However, outside of that I disagree with most of you. I think we were all fairly happy and still are with some of his FA work. Hudler and Wideman both appear to be reasonable signings.

Feaster also outbid competitors for both Hudler and Wideman in a cap world...   A major part of why any of the more skilled UFA's would consider signing in Calgary has just been traded, and it is very possible that a few other players of note are going to be either traded or simply leave at the end of their contracts...

If it becomes scorched earth, the time to repair the damage could make even the Oilers a more preferred destination for UFA's...

As I said before, I hope Feaster proves me wrong, but I sure don't like the direction things seem to be headed lately...

I think Feaster is taking way too much heat from you guys. I agree the ROR situation was a major flop. However, outside of that I disagree with most of you. I think we were all fairly happy and still are with some of his FA work. Hudler and Wideman both appear to be reasonable signings. In my opinion the drafting has been far more promising vs years past. A poster above me has listed a long list of personnel changes that I think we can agree have significant potential.

Feasters hands were tied with Iggy let's be honest. The main piece we were all looking for in terms of Iggy was the first rounder and we got it. There is still significant work to be done in the next half week and I believe this is how Feaster will be fairly graded. I am giving Feaster the benefit of the doubt until how i see he handles the JayBo situation. The JayBo deal will be a critical move in the restock process, far more impactful than the Iggy move.

Boston and Pittsburgh are direct buyers for a cup in the east. We just left Boston speechless.

The, "well it was the player's choice" is not a good excuse. Boston was celebrating, Feaster left their GM looking the fool for dealing from good conscience.

It's simply not good business. That's Feaster's fault or Iginla's, take your pick. But "SURPRISE", it's both of their faults.

STRAIGHTEN...elbowing...OUT.

Archived