Would You Rather...playoffs Vs. Lottery Pick

JTech780

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather...

• Calgary sneak into the playoffs as the 8th seed?
    • Get a lottery pick (top 5 pick)

Right off the bat it sounds like a stupid question doesn't it, and it probably is after all the goal is to win the Stanley Cup and to win the Stanley Cup you need to make into the playoffs. My question is though does getting into the 8th seed and falling in the first or second round accomplish anything? Or does it set this team back from its goal of being a consistent playoff team?

It has been three years without playoffs and man what I wouldn't give to see Calgary get into the playoffs, just to see the excitement that comes with it. Living and dying on every goal, every shift, sitting on the edge of your seat, seeing the Dome go crazy.

I definitely want to see Calgary get into the playoffs no matter what seed and anything can happen...right?

On the flip side I have to wonder if making the playoffs this year doesn't set this team back from its goal of being a perennial playoff team. I am also not convinced that this team is built for a long playoff run as they are too small and not near gritty or physical enough to handle the intensity of the playoffs.

So part of me can't help wonder if maybe getting a lottery pick isn't in the best long term interests of the Flames. With this being Iginla's last year under his current contract maybe the time is right to retool and build a team that is a annual Stanley Cup contender.

I am just curious where everyone stands or if anyone else is as conflicted as I am.

Playoffs no doubt, but if the Flames get in as 8th seed then play just like they did tonight in Minny, I'll change my mind.

If there is any year to get a lottery pick it would be this one. The top five in the draft this year look like each of them could go on to be a franchise player.

You go into games wanting to win.

Even losing in the 1st round means you were good enough to make the playoffs. Falling just short means you gave it your all but there are better teams you play against. The aim is to become as good as those that beat you for your spot.

The management & players that value a lottery pick over the playoffs are the kind I have no respect for. No heart. no guts & no balls. That being told they are winning by losing has to damage their competiveness. This isn't little league where they can be proud of participant ribbons.

It was utterly laughable when i came in here a couple hrs ago and it was 3-1 in favor of a pick over playoffs.  Good to see it turn around.

I would love to see the logic of a guy who would argue for a the pick over a playoff appearance..

OP comes close: " I have to wonder if making the playoffs this year doesn't set this team back from its goal of being a perennial playoff team"

umm.. so making the playoffs this yr may hinder the team from making the playoffs in the future?  But you're already in the playoffs... which is what you want! You are already there! Much more difficult to build a team from the ruins. 

I get where he's coming from.. but it is a completely flawed way of thinking.  A top 5 pick is far from guaranteed from becoming a high impact, difference maker of a  player in 2-3 yrs, let alone immediately.

This is where the experience of winning and playing in the playoffs is greatly underrated... we hear people talking about the abstract idea of 'experience'... but building off  a team that has NHL playoff experience will be much more valuable than a team built on a team of players with OHL experience.  But now my post has become a lil abstract... hopefully some get my point...

Archived