My Sympathies

DirtyDeeds

Can't be easy to deal with the hand lady luck has dealt Ottawa. First Jason Spezza now:

7984b039d9ebe7b824c1780ce71f013a.png?1360872605

I remember watching Bob McKenzie last night talking about this injury, and I can't remember seeing him as grave-looking as he was, and how cautiously dire he was sounding.

The 70% cut to his Achilles tendon is jaw-dropping...potentially career-ending. I truly wish Karlsson a successful and complete recovery, regardless of how long it takes.

Career ending is a little hyperbolic.

MANY players have blown their achilles and come back fine. The fastest and most explosive example in hockey would be Selanne.

Sami Salo in the summer 2011 blew his out at the ripe old age of 34 or 35.. came back fine as well.

A list of others who have.. altho i'm not sure at what stage of their careers... just a list i found from back in 2008..

Dan Marino

Boris Becker

Elton Brand

Dominique Wilkens

Christian Laettner

Dan Dickau

Brandon Stokley

Lavar Arrington

Vinnie Testeverde

Donovan Bailey - actually returned to competition and attempted to participate in Sydny 2000. but got sick.

Washington Redskin Left tackle Jon Jansen

Elgin Baylor

Two-time NCAA all-around gymnastics champion Courtney Kupets

one in 2003 and another on March 2008

Defensive tackle Rien Long (Tennessee)

Derrick Burgess

Kostya Tszyu

middle distance runner Kelly Holmes

Josh Bard

The Rock

Brad Pitt (ironically while playing ‘Achilles’ in ‘Troy’)

Raiders’ receiver Ronald Curry

Pretty early to tell yet, let's give him a bit before we write off his career. My money is on him being back. He may very well not have the career he would have had, but I think he will be back and be a very effective player for Ottawa.

He's a virtual lock to come back. No doubt about it for me.

And considering his age and modern day rehab and the fitness freak that Karlsson is, we may not even notice a difference in his gears after next season (if he has a healthy full offseason in 2014).

And considering his age and modern day rehab and the fitness freak that Karlsson is, we may not even notice a difference in his gears after next season (if he has a healthy full offseason in 2014).

yeah, he's a lock to come back for sure. I don't think it's 100% guaranteed that his skating will be all that it was, however. It probably will, but it isn't a guarantee.

I know. I was saying essentially the same thing as you. Only quoted you because I am probably a little less confident than you that he gets his skating all the way back to where it was.

But by no means was I disagreeing with, or challenging, anything you said. Just putting my opinion beside yours on the ole dart board

Definitely a major blow to the Sens losing Spezza and then Karlsson...

Here's an article from this morning on Karlsson's injury... It also makes reference to the same Achilles tendon surgery that Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Dean McAmmond have undergone in the past... It's worth a read... http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Erik+Karlsson+severed+Achilles+tendon+least+months+recover/7967956/story.html

On the bright side for Ottawa, it sound like there is still some hope they could get Spezza back before the end of the season...

Archived