G D T - 2013 Season

DL44

So what the hell are people hoping see the Western standings end up with now?

1. Chi

2. Van

3. Ana

4. Det

5. St.L

6. SJ

7. LA

8. CBJ

9. Cal

10. Edm

11. Min

I would LOVE to see this happen.

Chi - CBJ - I like CBJ's ability to give em fits

Ana - SJ - great matchup

Van - LA - great rematch

Det - St L. - last hurrah for this rivalry

So all my night to night cheering revolves around something like this being the outcome at the end of the season....

What do you guys who are still watching hope for?

==================

Tonight's games:

CBJ vs StL - just go to OT

Wings vs Avs 

Stars vs Ducks

Flames vs Sharks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Toronto Boston 7:00 PM ET TSN,NESN

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Buffalo New Jersey 7:00 PM ET MSG-B,MSG PLUS

Thu Mar 7, 2013 NY Rangers NY Islanders 7:00 PM ET MSG,MSG PLUS 2

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Pittsburgh Philadelphia 7:00 PM ET NHLN-US,ROOT,CSN-PH

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Florida Washington 7:00 PM ET FS-F,CSN-DC

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Montréal Carolina 7:00 PM ET RDS,TSN-HABS,SPSO

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Vancouver Columbus 7:00 PM ET SNET-P,FS-O

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Winnipeg Tampa Bay 7:30 PM ET TSN-JETS,SUN

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Edmonton Detroit 7:30 PM ET SNET-W,FS-D

Thu Mar 7, 2013 St. Louis Phoenix 9:00 PM ET FS-MW,FS-A

Thu Mar 7, 2013 Dallas Los Angeles 10:30 PM ET NHLN-CA,FS-SW,FS-W

I don't really recall seeing so many games starting at the exact same time... not that i often look at such a detail.. but it seemed to standout to me for some reason.

We have 7 games starting at 7pm EST tonight.

Anyways..

The Contenders vs BBB

Hodgson vs Jersey Shore

Manhattan vs Brooklyn 

Fleury vs Bryzgalov

IR vs OV

La Résistance vs The Rebels

Hipsters vs Cannon

Winter vs Summer

Maybe Next Year vs Every Freakin Year

Gretzky's old team vs Gretzky's old team

Jagr vs Hollywood

If it is any consolation most people look at the number 7 as one of the luckiest numbers of all. From your list only half those teams are going to feel that the number 7 was lucky for them.

Go Oilers? Naaah... but safe to assume Flames are cheering for the Oil?? Not that you would admit it on a message board i guess.

Wild @ the Oil.

Kinda want to see em dive a bit without winning the lottery.. would love to see draft another forward at the draft... heh...

A couple playoff previews tonight?

could see the following as 1st round matchups:

Canucks @ Blues

Kings @ Sharks

Leafs @ Caps might be one if the Leafs go streaking...

Wow, I'm watching the Flyers - Canes game right now.  There is no way the Canes aren't trying to tank.  Missing pucks, not skating to get pucks, arrid passes, its BS.

They just let a breakaway get past and the D gave up at their own blue line, and Voracek puts it past a turtled Peters, not a butterflied spread out Peters, a turtled Peters....

The league needs to look at elbowing like this a little more closely, or change the draft rules to reward those outside the playoffs who try.  Like giving the 17th place team first pick, the 18th place 2nd pick, and so on.  Then we wouldn't have this bull elbowing tanking.

This applies to Florida, Tampa, Colorado, and the Nashville too.  Maybe even throw the Oilers into the mix.  Meh, why not?

Wow, I'm watching the Flyers - Canes game right now.  There is no way the Canes aren't trying to tank.  Missing pucks, not skating to get pucks, arrid passes, its BS.

They just let a breakaway get past and the D gave up at their own blue line, and Voracek puts it past a turtled Peters, not a butterflied spread out Peters, a turtled Peters....

The league needs to look at elbowing like this a little more closely, or change the draft rules to reward those outside the playoffs who try.  Like giving the 17th place team first pick, the 18th place 2nd pick, and so on.  Then we wouldn't have this bull elbowing tanking.

This applies to Florida, Tampa, Colorado, and the Nashville too.  Maybe even throw the Oilers into the mix.  Meh, why not?

I like the idea of the team with the best W-L record after being mathematically eliminated getting the 1st overall pick.

A team would have to blow a lot of games & then suddenly try to throw the on switch to get around that.

I like the idea of the team with the best W-L record after being mathematically eliminated getting the 1st overall pick.

A team would have to blow a lot of games & then suddenly try to throw the on switch to get around that.

I think it works.  And I think it works well.  Almost like a mini playoffs. It certainly would stop this purposeful tanking = reward mentality of these NHL franchises.  Leveraging the first pick to the highest seed outside the playoffs, and so forth, and so forth would keep the competition level high in a league that is supposedly a professional one. Bubble teams would rather play for a playoff spot than a pick, and the low teams would have to pull up their socks.  This would change the structure of rebuilding as we know it.

There is no reason for NHL teams to lose this many games in a row, especially when their rosters exceed the Flames' any day of the week, yet our youngins find a way to win, and with a backup and key players out of the lineup with injury.

I think it works.  And I think it works well.  Almost like a mini playoffs. It certainly would stop this purposeful tanking = reward mentality of these NHL franchises.  Leveraging the first pick to the highest seed outside the playoffs, and so forth, and so forth would keep the competition level high in a league that is supposedly a professional one. Bubble teams would rather play for a playoff spot than a pick, and the low teams would have to pull up their socks.  This would change the structure of rebuilding as we know it.

There is no reason for NHL teams to lose this many games in a row, especially when their rosters exceed the Flames' any day of the week, yet our youngins find a way to win, and with a backup and key players out of the lineup with injury.

Players don't tank.

GM's and coaches do.

And i find it incredibly hypocritical when your own GM/coach has called up SEVEN AHLers to finish the season (if i read correctly) in what appears to be an attempt of a tank in itself... does that deserve an investigation too?

The system is fine the way it... sucky teams finish at the bottom of the standings.  Sucky teams need the most help and deserve the higher  picks over teams that are better than them.

Players don't tank.

GM's and coaches do.

And i find it incredibly hypocritical when your own GM/coach has called up SEVEN AHLers to finish the season (if i read correctly) in what appears to be an attempt of a tank in itself... does that deserve an investigation too?

The system is fine the way it... sucky teams finish at the bottom of the standings.  Sucky teams need the most help and deserve the higher  picks over teams that are better than them.

Read again, I didn't say players individually tank.  I said it was NHL franchises that tank.

Your statement is irrelevant.  Are these kids losing?  I thought these AHL'ers were beating NHL caliber players and teams?  Calling up a few players for a good look at how they fare in the big leagues is far from "an attempt at a tank itself."  If Feaser truly wanted to lose, he would have put in irving and kept all the vets in the lineup and had no young blood.  If you have been following this team, it's only been since the youth have come up that the locker room mentality has changed and the team has started winning.

Those sucky teams you refer to have much better rosters than the Flames at the moment.  You don't think that on any given day, Calgary wouldn't love to have Ryan O'Reilly, Matt Duschene, Gabriel Landeskog, Paul Statsny?  That's just the Avs, don't even get me started on the Flyers, or Carolina.  The Oilers have had 3 first picks in a row.  Why are they now below the Flames?  Because they "need the most help and deserve the higher picks" over the Flames?  Somehow I don't understand the logic.

- your logic confuses me.

The league is performance based. bottomline - wins. 

The names on the back of the sweaters does not matter one iota... 

The teams that 'deserve' the higher picks are the ones with the least wins/points. What's irrelevant is the Oilers picking 1st 3 yrs in a row... they still suck at winning.

Sucky teams are sucky because they fail to win. Those sucky teams you claim that have better rosters than the flames all have deficiencies in their lineup, just like the flames... 

The flames are winning right now and playing themselves out of a top 5 pick... that's the only reason this is a discussion - flames fan annoyance their 1st rounder dropping out of the top 5 or 6 picks - maybe 7 by the end of the week - when it looked like  top 3 or 4 was a virtual lock 3-4 wks ago.

Stated on another board a couple weeks ago where the question was asked.... what would be different if the season was to go the full 82 at this point... i said the flames would finish 9th or 10th completely pissing off their whole fanbase with another mid 1st round pick... seems dead on at this point.

Flames just need to suck more than they do.  

unfortunately, they actually have a decent compilation of depth that's coming thru at the moment. The lack of top end talent is the hindrance to making the playoffs, but they are  good enough to scoop some points.  Consider it a regression to the mean... the Flames played a lot worse than they should of been, and now they are regressing up to where they should be.... ah well.. at least some are enjoying the wins.

- your logic confuses me.

The league is performance based. bottomline - wins. 

The names on the back of the sweaters does not matter one iota... 

The teams that 'deserve' the higher picks are the ones with the least wins/points. What's irrelevant is the Oilers picking 1st 3 yrs in a row... they still suck at winning.

Sucky teams are sucky because they fail to win. Those sucky teams you claim that have better rosters than the flames all have deficiencies in their lineup, just like the flames... 

The flames are winning right now and playing themselves out of a top 5 pick... that's the only reason this is a discussion - flames fan annoyance their 1st rounder dropping out of the top 5 or 6 picks - maybe 7 by the end of the week - when it looked like  top 3 or 4 was a virtual lock 3-4 wks ago.

Stated on another board a couple weeks ago where the question was asked.... what would be different if the season was to go the full 82 at this point... i said the flames would finish 9th or 10th completely pissing off their whole fanbase with another mid 1st round pick... seems dead on at this point.

Flames just need to suck more than they do.  

unfortunately, they actually have a decent compilation of depth that's coming thru at the moment. The lack of top end talent is the hindrance to making the playoffs, but they are  good enough to scoop some points.  Consider it a regression to the mean... the Flames played a lot worse than they should of been, and now they are regressing up to where they should be.... ah well.. at least some are enjoying the wins.

Your explination still doesn't point out why the Oilers and teams with better outfiitted rosters "deserve" higher picks over the Flames, especially when housing a losing mentality after finding out they don't get a playoff spot.

As for enjoying wins, the Flames don't buy into the Tank.  There is a reason they've never had a top 5 pick in their history.

Your explination still doesn't point out why the Oilers and teams with better outfiitted rosters "deserve" higher picks over the Flames, especially when housing a losing mentality after finding out they don't get a playoff spot.

As for enjoying wins, the Flames don't buy into the Tank.  There is a reason they've never had a top 5 pick in their history.

Because obviously their rosters aren't better outfitted when they are NOT WINNING.

It's all about the WINS.  I thought i was pretty clear on that point actually.

Have you seen the bottom 6 of the Oilers? you think that's NHL caliber?

You see the make up of the D?  How many of their D depth (say bottom 3) make the playoff rosters of other teams top 6's? Sure they have "top end potenial" brewing... but their lineup as a whole... They added a mere TWO rookie to a 29th? ranked team from last yr... you really thought that was going result in a playoff team?  I know Connor did... you bought what he was selling there?

So how many thought when the AHL guys were recalled we would win this many games?We played teams fighting for playoff points Oilers included! I really do not think they tanked purposely. With the teams you mentioned it is apparent that talent of paper doesnt provide you W 's.

Is the lottery system may be flawed but ask the Oilers their whole organization would give up that high pick to be in the playoffs, thats a given. As I have mentioned before players with average talent with heart and determination beats talent and no determination every day, IE Colorado, Oilers. Columbus is the perfect example of a roster of pretty much unknow guys outside of Gaborick that play for the logo on the front. 

Read again, I didn't say players individually tank.  I said it was NHL franchises that tank.

Your statement is irrelevant.  Are these kids losing?  I thought these AHL'ers were beating NHL caliber players and teams?  Calling up a few players for a good look at how they fare in the big leagues is far from "an attempt at a tank itself."  If Feaser truly wanted to lose, he would have put in irving and kept all the vets in the lineup and had no young blood.  If you have been following this team, it's only been since the youth have come up that the locker room mentality has changed and the team has started winning.

Those sucky teams you refer to have much better rosters than the Flames at the moment.  You don't think that on any given day, Calgary wouldn't love to have Ryan O'Reilly, Matt Duschene, Gabriel Landeskog, Paul Statsny?  That's just the Avs, don't even get me started on the Flyers, or Carolina.  The Oilers have had 3 first picks in a row.  Why are they now below the Flames?  Because they "need the most help and deserve the higher picks" over the Flames?  Somehow I don't understand the logic.

Because obviously their rosters aren't better outfitted when they are NOT WINNING.

It's all about the WINS.  I thought i was pretty clear on that point actually.

That's not clear.  And that's the point DL, If it was all about the wins, they would be winning.  At this point, it becomes about the loss, and 'earning' a top pick.  There is no reason for it.  Most of these teams below the Flames are and have been bubble teams this year.  When they found out they weren't making the playoffs, there was an about face in the standings and you saw 7-8 game losing streaks.  Unacceptable, especially by NHL standards.  And it wasn't just 1 team, it's been about 5 teams.  The evidence speaks for itself.

That's not clear.  And that's the point DL, If it was all about the wins, they would be winning.  At this point, it becomes about the loss, and 'earning' a top pick.  There is no reason for it.  Most of these teams below the Flames are and have been bubble teams this year.  When they found out they weren't making the playoffs, there was an about face in the standings and you saw 7-8 game losing streaks.  Unacceptable, especially by NHL standards.  And it wasn't just 1 team, it's been about 5 teams.  The evidence speaks for itself.

Philly has: Bos, NYI, and Ott left.

wouldn't surprised if they 0-3.

That a tank?

Buffalo has: Wpg, Pit and NYI left.

if they 1-2.. is that a tank too?

NJ has: Mon, Pit, NYR left...

Montreal is obviously attempting a tank job right now... not sure why, but obviously evidence speaks..

There are so many playoff implications for the east in the Jets @ Caps game tonight. Whoever wins affects not only the 4 teams fighting for the 3 playoff spots but it has big implications as far as the seedings go.

NHL.com has a good breakdown of what tonight's games & the results do.

The Jets still have a shot @ the #3 seed with a win. A loss in regulation pretty much eliminates them but even picking up 1 point gives them a shot @ #8.

As of now they hold the tiebreaker over the Sens by merit of 1 more regulation win.

GDT: Tank Edition.

What i would love to see...

Montréal v New Jersey - NJ Tank job.. but Montreal is also Tanking it right now with just 2 wins in 7.
Winnipeg v Washington - Would love to see a 1st round of Washington v Boston or Pit... 
NY Islanders v Carolina - Would love a 3-6 matchup of Wpg-NYI just so one of them is guaranteed into the 2nd round! Canes Tank.
Boston v Philadelphia - Flyer Tank job
NY Rangers v Florida - would love to see the Rangers Tank, but i don't see how they will out-Tank the Tanking panthers.
Colorado v St. Louis - want the Blues to pass the Sharks.. Kings-Blues rematch - AWESOME. Avs continue Tank job.
Calgary v Nashville - just cuz, for the annoyance it would cause to Peeps. Preds win this battle of the Tank.
Los Angeles v Minnesota - The Wild will MISS the playoffs. at least thats what i've predicted. They haven't chosen to Tank, the Tank chose them.
Dallas v San Jose - Stars could be within 1 of the Tanking Wild with 2 to play after tonight! 

tanking.jpg

Washington making a statement!

can't wait to see if Wpg has a response... 40 mins left.

Montreal - continuing to slide... amazing what has happened to this team... gut-check time.. 40 mins left in that one. plenty of time.

Archived