The Sucking Up Has Begun!

Kulstad

Sandy Hook Elementary School Auction

Apparently "hosted" by the NY Islanders, and currently running on NHL.com. Although this is a very worthwhile cause, I can't help that a small part of me feels that someone slimy within the ranks of the NHL decided that this would "help the fans forget the lockout war".

Here's the Flames' contribution. Where other teams have offered up jerseys, the Flames have offered a "merch pack"

Apparently "hosted" by the NY Islanders, and currently running on NHL.com. Although this is a very worthwhile cause, I can't help that a small part of me feels that someone slimy within the ranks of the NHL decided that this would "help the fans forget the lockout war".

Here's the Flames' contribution. Where other teams have offered up jerseys, the Flames have offered a "merch pack"

If it helps by a teaspoon, why knock it? It would have happened if they'd been playing. A moment of silence would have been everywhere, fundraisers, you name it.

We all hate them in a variety of ways, but community support is one thing that I definitely welcome back.

You would think that teams would be tripping all over themselves trying to donate autographed jerseys and sticks...

It's for a good cause, so to me the "merch pack" seems kind of lame...

You would think that teams would be tripping all over themselves trying to donate autographed jerseys and sticks...

It's for a good cause, so to me the "merch pack" seems kind of lame...

If you look @ the Jets contribution (everything from items from Hawerchuk & Selanne to the new Jets) & the Flyers stuff (SC jerseys to modern stuff) it makes that mech pack look rather chintzy.

That's exactly the sentiment I was trying to make. Glad I'm not the only one who felt like this.

It's times like this that I wish I had email addresses for a few people on this board (FF, kehatch, etc), so I could BCC them things like this.

To: kking@calgaryflames.com

Subject: Flames contribution to Sandy Hook Elementary auction on NHL.com

Good afternoon, Mr. King.

I am writing to you to express my disappointment in the contribution of the Calgary Flames to the Sandy Hook Elementary School auction being hosted on the NHL.COM website (http://auction.nhl.c...12717464&type=L).

In looking at contribution from the other participants in the auction, one can quickly see (without pausing to examine the detail) that jerseys appear to be “the norm”, as this is generally what fans purchase to support their individual teams. Indeed, offering a “big ticket souvenir” such as a jersey tends to grab peoples’ attention. Upon closer inspection of these jerseys, one can see names of NHL superstars, both past and present; names like Tavares, Ovechkin, (Mario) Lemieux, Stevens…the list goes on and on. In comparison, I (as a long-time Calgary Flames fan) become somewhat disappointed and embarrassed when I see the meager offerings of the Calgary Flames: a simple Merchandise Package (http://auction.nhl.c...4&aunbr=2260391).

Calgary has had the great fortune to have many superstars as part of its roster: McDonald, Gilmour, Vernon, and McInnis stand out to me for days gone by, whereas Iginla, Kiprusoff, Glencross, Bouwmeester and Baertschi immediately come to mind as “marketable names” of the present. Surely one or two of these people I’ve mentioned are able to provide their signature to a Flames jersey procured from the Fan Attic store, or even a “game-worn” jersey that perhaps a member of the equipment staff may have lying about somewhere.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Personally, I feel that the Calgary Flames can unquestionably match (if not exceed) the quality of items being offered by the other teams represented in this auction. My challenge to you, Mr King, is to make this happen. According to the auction website, the auction closes in 9 days (as of this writing), so time would appear to be of the essence for you.

I sincerely appreciate your time in reading this email. I realize that, with all of the excitement and hectic pace around the Calgary Flames since the end of the lockout, your time is definitely at a premium. However, as your persona via the Calgary media has portrayed you, you are very willing to listen to (and often respond to) the voice of your fan base.

Thank you again for your time, and all the best in the 2013 NHL season.

Sincerely,

my real name here>

It's times like this that I wish I had email addresses for a few people on this board (FF, kehatch, etc), so I could BCC them things like this.

Your letter was well put and well written Kulstad...

I am sure you spoke for a number of us on this issue...

Your letter was well put and well written Kulstad...

I am sure you spoke for a number of us on this issue...

That was very well done Kulstad.

As Carty says it expresses the views of many of us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us take a lot of pride in our Flames so thank you for taking the time to point that out to the organization.

I just checked it again. It changed drastically. Now we've got signed jerseys, a framed Fleury rookie card & some much more acceptable items. This stuff matters!

That was very well done Kulstad.

As Carty says it expresses the views of many of us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of us take a lot of pride in our Flames so thank you for taking the time to point that out to the organization.

I just checked it again. It changed drastically. Now we've got signed jerseys, a framed Fleury rookie card & some much more acceptable items. This stuff matters!

Thanks for the support...nothing says "I am Canadian" like a strongly-worded letter ;)

I just checked the links for the auction, but I don't see the changes/updates you say are there, FF. Do you have a new link for it so I can check it out?

Thanks for the support...nothing says "I am Canadian" like a strongly-worded letter ;)

I just checked the links for the auction, but I don't see the changes/updates you say are there, FF. Do you have a new link for it so I can check it out?

I just used the original link in the 1st post to get to the main site. After that I just click any team logo to get the full listing by that team. Man, there is some cool collectable stuff from the few I've spot-checked.

You certainly shamed King & his crew (a little memory there for Carty :) ) into doing the right thing Bud.

Archived