So What's Everyone Doing While There Is No N.h.l.?

DL44

So what's everyone doing while there is no hockey????

Might as well share here...

More time with the kids? the wife? picking up new hobbies? working harder? gym?

I would fall under the new hobby category... i've committed to golf. I've decided to take it up proper now.

I tried before back in 1999, but then went away for school and was too poor to keep it up.. but now...

Its been 3 weeks, been to the range about 7-8 times and been to pitch n putt 4 times.

Hit my first birdie too.. oh what a feeling that was!!

my 9 hole pitch n putt scores: +9(1 mulligan), +12, +12(1 mulligan, BIRDIE), and.... +7!

Anyways... just got back from hitting 120 balls at the range, got my first blister (time for a glove if i'm taking this seriously)... but i was the most consitent i've ever been.. Think i'm gonna love this sport...

You guys?

I'm just doing my thing with work and relaxation. I just finished my two weeks in the mine, now I'm in my down time which is awesome but kinda frustrating to be at work and not knowing what might happen *sighs* There was job cuts and well.... just not fun for everyone out there...

Ummm.... been doing some reading, playing video games, going out to restaurants, travelling.... sometimes to the bar....

Also been busy with this one guy I met at work, we let our frustrations go away very well... nothing serious there though. Then met this other guy Chris... pretty good friends by now and he's helping out by being a ear to talk to. Making a lot of friends at work which is great and I'm being myself more and more. I have such a dirty mind and yeah.... people are finding out how weird, funny, strange I am. :) Just like how I post on here sometimes.

Planning to be in Edmonton or Calgary by next month when my funds are set up nicer. Just figuring out which family members to meet up with.

Kinda have to set myself in a better budget, cause when I'm back I get a little stupid like say buy 500 bucks worth of video games, lol!!!

Oh and I finally done online banking, wow.... took me ages to finally get that done and so much easier paying bills and crap. My Roomie has new puppies in our house and I'm falling for their darn cuteness.

Oh I also need to get my passport done cause she wants me to see her new vacation home in Mexico :)

I would fall under the new hobby category... i've committed to golf. I've decided to take it up proper now.

I tried before back in 1999, but then went away for school and was too poor to keep it up.. but now...

Its been 3 weeks, been to the range about 7-8 times and been to pitch n putt 4 times.

my 9 hole pitch n putt scores: +9(1 mulligan), +12, +12(1 mulligan, BIRDIE), and.... +7!

Anyways... just got back from hitting 120 balls at the range, got my first blister (time for a glove if i'm taking this seriously)... but i was the most consitent i've ever been.. Think i'm gonna love this sport...

You guys?

Be careful with golf, it's the heroine of sports. Once you start, you just can't stop. And, since you can always get better at golf, you really never get bored of trying to improve.

My friend started golfing with me last summer. He swore he would never become a serious golfer and that his score didn't matter at all. In fact, going golfing with him was the biggest gong show imaginable. Fast forward to this season, the guy has played WAY more than I have (maybe because I'm in a city that isn't very golf friendly, but still). It has seriously become one of his passions.

Anyways, it's a great game to take up.

As for me, I haven't really been doing anything to fill the void. I guess school work has kept me busy to some extent, but I've always managed to do fine in school without sacrificing any hockey, so school can't really fill that void.

You guys?

Hey DL, I picked up golf this summer also. It's a game of enjoyment, frustration and relaxation all together. I've been out to a few golf courses in BC when I was visiting. Tobiano is one of my favorite, its in Kamloops which should be pretty close for you.

Other than golf, been helping the folks clean up the basement and garage, I can't believe after all these years how much junk I can accumulate, its been many years since I've cleaned.

It's a game of enjoyment, frustration and relaxation all together.

And blisters.. got my first one. On the shelf for 2 days now and i'm dying.. especially since i got a new set of clubs yesterday. Time for a glove so i can look really serious.

back to the set of clubs...

For the price of single game ticket in the lower bowl, i picked myself up, on Craigslist, a never before used set of Jack Nicklaus Dual X clubs AND bag. $150 bucks!

The guy was given them as a gift from a buddy of his, but they were lefties (thats his story.. not sure i exactly buy it.. but i don't care right now)...

Driver, 3 wood, and hybrid 4... irons 5-9, pitch and sand wedge... and putter. Not one of em has touched a ball.

And they have little booties too.

They're all so shiny.

Also saw on Craigslist an add from a guy who collects stray golf balls, 100 balls for $20! all clean and virtually new looking... can't beat that for a beginner right?

Hey DL, I picked up golf this summer also. It's a game of enjoyment, frustration and relaxation all together. I've been out to a few golf courses in BC when I was visiting. Tobiano is one of my favorite, its in Kamloops which should be pretty close for you.

Other than golf, been helping the folks clean up the basement and garage, I can't believe after all these years how much junk I can accumulate, its been many years since I've cleaned.

And blisters.. got my first one. On the shelf for 2 days now and i'm dying.. especially since i got a new set of clubs yesterday. Time for a glove so i can look really serious.

back to the set of clubs...

For the price of single game ticket in the lower bowl, i picked myself up, on Craigslist, a never before used set of Jack Nicklaus Dual X clubs AND bag. $150 bucks!

The guy was given them as a gift from a buddy of his, but they were lefties (thats his story.. not sure i exactly buy it.. but i don't care right now)...

Driver, 3 wood, and hybrid 4... irons 5-9, pitch and sand wedge... and putter. Not one of em has touched a ball.

And they have little booties too.

They're all so shiny.

Also saw on Craigslist an add from a guy who collects stray golf balls, 100 balls for $20! all clean and virtually new looking... can't beat that for a beginner right?

Tobiano is also my favorite course.

A lot of beginners go cheap on gear only to regret it later when they realize how much easier it is to hit (and to learn) with "nice" clubs. I would've recommended a nicer set of clubs to get started. Nice beginners clubs are lighter weight, bigger/forgiving club head, and softer flex. It would last you a lot longer whereas with your clubs, you may want to upgrade right away.

100 scrap balls for $20 is a good way to go for a beginner but just a note, every ball is created differently and so you get different results from them. For beginners, you probably wouldn't notice the difference so whatever, just go cheap. As you get better though, i recommend the brand named balls, like $20 to $30 for a dozen.

Yes, it's an addicting sport. All it takes is one awesome long drive and you're hooked.

Archived