Nashville Matches Philly Offer Sheet

sandman8610

Great, great decision. Good job ownership. As far as economy goes, I believe it grows with investments. Weber will charge lots of $$$ of course, but the crowd he'll bring into the arena is worth it. Good investment, anything other than matching the offer sheet would have been totally stupid.

they should have let him walk, he doesn't want to be there anyways.

A player that signs an offer sheet means that he is willing to stay with his team but at the price he signed it. Weber has never stated he doesn't want to be a Preds, he just wanted to clear the situation ASAP which is now done.

Doug McLean was reporting that the Preds had a chance to sign him for 7 years @ $7.5m per prior to last year (passing on a post from CP)

If that's the case, they passed on paying him $52.5m over 7 years and now will instead pay him $87.5m over those same 7 years. They may have had the same opportunity with Suter as well.

I think there is a good chance that Poile loses his job over this: he loses one of his two best palyers for nothing, then ends up costing the owners an additional $35m over the next 7 years on the other.

Prediction: Poile doesn't last 12 months.

they should have let him walk, he doesn't want to be there anyways.

And you have proof of this? Nothing that's been posted on these boards (or anywhere reputable) has stated anything like this, and I don't believe Weber ever said this publicly.

As long as this doesn't cripple the franchise financially, it is the right decision.

Doug McLean was reporting that the Preds had a chance to sign him for 7 years @ $7.5m per prior to last year (passing on a post from CP)

If that's the case, they passed on paying him $52.5m over 7 years and now will instead pay him $87.5m over those same 7 years. They may have had the same opportunity with Suter as well.

I think there is a good chance that Poile loses his job over this: he loses one of his two best palyers for nothing, then ends up costing the owners an additional $35m over the next 7 years on the other.

Do you honestly think Poile made this decision a.) without consulting ownership, or b.) against ownership's wishes?

Firing their only ever GM(who has lead them very well) because one free agent didn't want to stay with the team and a hindsight 20/20 report. I don`t think so.

Had Weber, Rinne and Suter all been lost, THEN maybe.

Firing their only ever GM(who has lead them very well) because one free agent didn't want to stay with the team and a hindsight 20/20 report. I don`t think so.

Had Weber, Rinne and Suter all been lost, THEN maybe.

He should have been able to get something back for that free agent.

Three "franchise" players. Two of them screwed up - one got nothing back, the other cost them an additional $5m per year for the next 6 years.

You don't get to run businesses with 9 digit revenues by letting crap like this happen.

How much success they have had in the past is pretty irrelevant at this point - hte last month has devastated this franchise.

Edit: "well done steak" :lol:

I'm sorry, what?

You lose all three of your franchise players and then MAYBE you get fired?

I'm guessing your employees (if you ahve any) sleep like babies.

We're talking about the Nashville Predators, not the New York Rangers or the Boston Bruins. (or any team that left Mike Milbury in charge without any verifications)

Nashville operates on the basis that everyone is informed at all times. Any signing is checked by their board, hockey operations department, finances, GM, coach.

If they lost all three players, it wouldn't be Poile's fault alone. Losing all of them would have been a collective fail from the entire franchise.

It wasn't all Poile's decision to match Weber. The announcement was made by Poile, the COO and the CEO. Rinne's signing was also announced by several diffenent members of the franchise.

We're talking about the Nashville Predators, not the New York Rangers or the Boston Bruins. (or any team that left Mike Milbury in charge without any verifications)

Nashville operates on the basis that everyone is informed at all times. Any signing is checked by their board, hockey operations department, finances, GM, coach.

If they lost all three players, it wouldn't be Poile's fault alone. Losing all of them would have been a collective fail from the entire franchise.

It wasn't all Poile's decision to match Weber. The announcement was made by Poile, the COO and the CEO. Rinne's signing was also announced by several diffenent members of the franchise.

I understand what youa re saying, but you make is sound like Poile is nothing more than a puppet.

When crap happens, heads roll. He gets paid 7 digits a year in all likelihood. There has to be accountability.

I understand what youa re saying, but you make is sound like Poile is nothing more than a puppet.

When crap happens, heads roll. He gets paid 7 digits a year in all likelihood. There has to be accountability.

I suspect Poile has a lot of say, and yes, he's made a lot of good decisions over the years.

But losing three franchise players (if they had) probably would've resulted in a lot more guys than Poile getting fired.

It would've taken one of two routes. Everybody gets fired, they blow up and try again. Or nobody gets fired and they try to move on with what they've got.

Factoring in how fragile a team like Nashville is, I'd say the second option to just try to keep fans interested.

What "crap" happened? They are a small market team that managed to hold onto 2 of their 3 star players. And the 2 better ones, at that.

Predators Ownership: Predators Holdings LLC

Christopher C. Cigarran

Vice President of Employer Solutions at Nashville’s Healthways, Inc., the nation’s leading and largest provider of specialized, comprehensive solutions to help millions of people maintain or improve their health and well-being and, as a result, reduce overall costs.

Thomas G. Cigarran

Co-founder, former CEO and current chairman of the Nashville-based Healthways, Inc.

Joel and Holly Dobberpuhl

CEO and portfolio manager of Jetstream Capital, a global hedge fund he founded in 2003. Prior to founding Jetstream Capital, Dobberpuhl was a senior portfolio manager for AIM investments.

David S. Freeman

Founder and CEO of 36 Venture Capital, which maintains investments in professional sports clubs (the Predators, in addition to the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx Double-A baseball club, Derby County Rams ECL soccer club). The company’s portfolio also includes operating companies in the apparel (Swiftwick), promotional, media, real estate and education industries.

He was the founder and CEO of Commodore Medical Sevices, which grew to be the second-largest company in the medical waste industry at the time of its sale in 2007.

Herbert A. Fritch

Served as the chairman and chief executive officer of HealthSpring, Inc., and its predecessor, NewQuest, LLC

W. Brett Wilson

Well-known Canadian businessman and philanthropist based in Calgary, AB. He is currently Chairman of Canoe Financial, an investment management firm with over $2.0 Billion in assets.

Warren Woo

Founder of Breakaway Capital, an investment firm based in Los Angeles. Prior to Monroe, Warren was a Founding Partner and Managing Director at Moelis & Company as well as a Vice Chairman, member of the Board of Directors and Global Head of Financial Sponsors, Hedge Funds and Leveraged Finance of UBS Investment Bank.

The Preds are backed by some big boys...

They want to run the Preds in the black on its own... but they obviously have the ability endure any bumps in the road... which with the new CBA, should have a decreased chance of hitting those bumps..

What "crap" happened? They are a small market team that managed to hold onto 2 of their 3 star players. And the 2 better ones, at that.

What's his name in Pitt outlined exactly the strategy to deal with a situation like Suter's:

Suter: Talk at the beginning of the final year and make your best offer. If he passes, trade him by the deadline and get a return. Absolutely inexcusable to get nothing for him.

Weber: missed an opportunity to sign him for a reasonable amount (or trade him for a decent return). In the end, had to pay more than was necessary in order to keep him.

As a fan, you may not care how much he gets paid. But it comes out of the owners pockets and they most definitely care.

If you can't see that some serious crap has happened to that franchise, then I'll leave it at "we can agree to disagree"

I really had my doubts that Nashville would have the cajones to reach that deep into their pockets for one player, even if it was Weber...

But they did...

It is obvious why they matched, I just saw it as perhaps too much for them to allocate for one contract...

As I have said elsewhere, I was hoping he went to the Flyers, and also anything that makes the Preds weaker helps out the Flames...

What's his name in Pitt outlined exactly the strategy to deal with a situation like Suter's:

Suter: Talk at the beginning of the final year and make your best offer. If he passes, trade him by the deadline and get a return. Absolutely inexcusable to get nothing for him.

Weber: missed an opportunity to sign him for a reasonable amount (or trade him for a decent return). In the end, had to pay more than was necessary in order to keep him.

As a fan, you may not care how much he gets paid. But it comes out of the owners pockets and they most definitely care.

If you can't see that some serious crap has happened to that franchise, then I'll leave it at "we can agree to disagree"

How come on one hand you are worried about the pockets of the owners, but on the other you criticize them for holding on the player which helped them earn millions of bonus revenue by helping the team to the second round of the playoffs.

We're talking about the 5th ranked team last yr... in what world do teams in that position move one of their pillars on the backend at the deadline?

Stop talking for the owners. They know what they are willing to pay more than you do. Obviously they are willing to pay Weber this contract, because of they weren't they wouldn't have let Poile match!

If it was just that easy to not lose an FA for nothing, they wouldn't be 2 or 3 star players become UFA's every year. How come you aren't calling for Lou's head in NJ after losing Parise for nothing? Or Maloney for Doan, ect?

How come on one hand you are worried about the pockets of the owners, but on the other you criticize them for holding on the player which helped them earn millions of bonus revenue by helping the team to the second round of the playoffs.

We're talking about the 5th ranked team last yr... in what world do teams in that position move one of their pillars on the backend at the deadline?

What I said was they blew an opportunity to either sign him at a more reasonable price or trade him.

There is nothing inconsistent about that.

If McLean's report is accurate, the Preds ended up paying Weber $5m per year moore than they could have. That will mean that they will need to get an additional 3-5 playoff games every year just to cover that mistake.

Stop talking for the owners. They know what they are willing to pay more than you do. Obviously they are willing to pay Weber this contract, because of they weren't they wouldn't have let Poile match!

If it was just that easy to not lose an FA for nothing, they wouldn't be 2 or 3 star players become UFA's every year. How come you aren't calling for Lou's head in NJ after losing Parise for nothing? Or Maloney for Doan, ect?

1) oh I am not allowed to state opinions here - only you are?

2) who says I am not criticizing them as well?

What I said was they blew an opportunity to either sign him at a more reasonable price or trade him.

If McLean's report is accurate, the Preds ended up paying Weber $5m per year moore than they could have. That will mean that they will need to get an additional 3-5 playoff games every year just to cover that mistake.

How so? Cap hit relatively the same.

How so? Cap hit relatively the same.

McLean reported that they could have signed him for 7 years @ $7.5m per year. That is $53.5m

Instead, they paid him $7.5m last year, and they will now have to pay him $80m over the next 6 years, for a total of $87.5m

That is a difference of $34m over 7 years, or just under $5m per year.

I don't speak for the owners, no, but I am pretty comfortable stating my opinion that they are probably less than pleased by that fact.

1) oh I am not allowed to state opinions here - only you are?

2) who says I am not criticizing them as well?

1) What? Is that the auto-response when you can't actually defend your opinion? State it all you want. Just remember I am allowed to disagree with it.

2) What about every other GM that takes the 3 extra months with the star player to try to win something over throwing that away from prospects and draft picks? When you lose a player to FA, you are not losing him for nothing. Nashville had every reason to believe they had a chance to go deep in the playoffs, and they weren't doing it without Suter.

McLean reported that they could have signed him for 7 years @ $7.5m per year. That is $53.5m

Instead, they paid him $7.5m last year, and they will now have to pay him $80m over the next 6 years, for a total of $87.5m

That is a difference of $34m over 7 years, or just under $5m per year.

I don't speak for the owners, no, but I am pretty comfortable stating my opinion that they are probably less than pleased by that fact.

You are forgetting the last 7 years where they pay him virtually nothing. Cherry picking at it's finest.

1) What? Is that the auto-response when you can't actually defend your opinion? State it all you want. Just remember I am allowed to disagree with it.

You didn't disagree with it though, you toldme to stop. And I am pretty sure that isn't your decision.

Archived