Teemu Back For One More

The_People1

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400449

One more year for the Finnish Flash. Good to see him back!

But seriously, why do these stars even have to think twice with that kind of money. It's not like the Ducks were offering him $1-mil. It's $4.5-mil!! Holy! $4.5-mil vs sitting at home eating donuts all day, or taking a head office job like a scout at $75k a year. The choice is so obvious.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400449

One more year for the Finnish Flash. Good to see him back!

But seriously, why do these stars even have to think twice with that kind of money. It's not like the Ducks were offering him $1-mil. It's $4.5-mil!! Holy! $4.5-mil vs sitting at home eating donuts all day, or taking a head office job like a scout at $75k a year. The choice is so obvious.

When you're 41 and playing sports, it's more of a grind than a fun job. It's easy for the rookies to get their game faces on, because they've got the energy and mentality to do it. That's why you hear all the time how guys who are thinking of retiring talk about how much harder it is for them to get into game shape (both mentally and physically) compared to when they were younger.

I mean, they've been doing the same thing for 20 years. At that point you've basically seen and done it all. Not many people still have the passion for the game at that point because they're worn out from 20 years of preparation and training.

They're not in it for the money anymore, what's going through their minds is "Do I really want to spend another whole year working out everyday?". And the lure is tough; most of the NHLers, at 40, have kids who are just starting their growth into young adults. Getting the time to spend with your family is a tantalizing luxury for family men. Whereas going back to work means spending your days in training rooms and on long plane rides, living off of a suitcase, spending your nights in a different bed almost every day....it wears a guy down.

You and I look at 4.5 million and say "How can he not?" but that's only because we didn't do it every day since we were just children. 35 years of dedication to a sport....takes a heck of a lot of willpower.

In the Ducks visit to Wpg. this year he got a huge ovation. After the game started that ended as he was now an opponent. His mother flew in for that game & she & Temmu's wife caught up with old friends & showed Selanne's kids where their daddy started his NHL career. He's still 1 of the favorites to ever play for the old Jets.

Now he's been a Duck longer & does the right thing by them. Until he feels he can't perform to his standards (dang good value per $ for the team & paid a bit less then he's worth) he'll do the 1 year contracts to make sure they aren't hurt by a 35+ contract.

The man just oozes class. A friend who was a nurse @ Children's Hospital told me about his under the radar (the media never knew) visits when he would bring the kids stuff & just give them attention.

Like Lidstrom he'll know when it's time to quit. Until then I'll just enjoy watching him while I can.

Archived