C B A For The Fans.

DirtyDeeds

You can almost bet your house that if and when the players and the NHL get through hammering out some sort of agreement that they will not consider the average hockey fan very much if at all.

That won't stop us from voicing your opinion however so have at it here if you were sitting in the talks and wanted to defend the fans position on the game what issues would you like to see discussed on the state of the game.

I'll start with one:

1. The season is way too long.

-Close to 9 months of hockey start to finish just takes up too much time. Shortening the season by 10-15 games would be a decent starting point.

-Will the players or owners ever consider shortening the season? No not a chance as that would be a loss of revenue in buildings already empty in the short off season.

-I suppose you might get some to listen if you could make a case for shortened careers and more injuries but even then relaxing the rules on roster sizes or replacements would be a counter argument to that.

Pros:

Better hockey and a more meaningful regular season. No room to float for any player or team.

You might actually be playing playoff hockey with snow on the ground(in Canada), you know when it is cold and when hockey should be front and center.

You won't be conflicting as much with basketball for prime TV time.

Cons:

Besides the obvious loss of revenues and likely hurting already struggling teams, the players would also have to take cuts in pay.

This just isn't a the whole business will go under if we don't take pay cuts situation so it won't happen.

Injuries to key players would likely make a larger impact on teams.

Smaller revenues / salaries would make it more difficult to attract players from other leagues like the KHL.

You can almost bet your house that if and when the players and the NHL get through hammering out some sort of agreement that they will not consider the average hockey fan very much if at all.

That won't stop us from voicing your opinion however so have at it here if you were sitting in the talks and wanted to defend the fans position on the game what issues would you like to see discussed on the state of the game.

I'll start with one:

1. The season is way too long.

-Close to 9 months of hockey start to finish just takes up too much time. Shortening the season by 10-15 games would be a decent starting point.

-Will the players or owners ever consider shortening the season? No not a chance as that would be a loss of revenue in buildings already empty in the short off season.

-I suppose you might get some to listen if you could make a case for shortened careers and more injuries but even then relaxing the rules on roster sizes or replacements would be a counter argument to that.

Pros:

Better hockey and a more meaningful regular season. No room to float for any player or team.

You might actually be playing playoff hockey with snow on the ground(in Canada), you know when it is cold and when hockey should be front and center.

You won't be conflicting as much with basketball for prime TV time.

Cons:

Besides the obvious loss of revenues and likely hurting already struggling teams, the players would also have to take cuts in pay.

This just isn't a the whole business will go under if we don't take pay cuts situation so it won't happen.

Injuries to key players would likely make a larger impact on teams.

Smaller revenues / salaries would make it more difficult to attract players from other leagues like the KHL.

I don't agree the season is "too long" but rather, the regular season has "too many games."

Shorten the season by 10-15 games and then eliminate all back-to-back games so every team can rest 1 day between games. Keep it at the 9 months or whatever it is right now. This translates into improved quality of games and increased recovery time for players. More time to rest in between each game.

By decreasing games by 15%, increase ticket prices 15% so revenues break even. Justify it by telling the fans they are paying for quality over quantity.

By decreasing games by 15%, increase ticket prices 15% so revenues break even. Justify it by telling the fans they are paying for quality over quantity.

a 15% increase in tickets prices will not make up for:

- 15% reduction of game tickets for sale and

- 15% reduction of TV ad revenue and

- 15% reduction of radio ad revenue and

- 15% reduction of game-by-game merchandise sales

- 15% reduction of concession and parking sales

-as well as 15% reduction in charitable runs like 50/50 tickets.

I like the grind of the regular season and really enjoy watching all the teams jockey for position after the trade dead line up to the end of the season so I wouldn't change a thing.

As a fan of the game, I like the way the game is played now after the last lock out but the only knock I got about the CBA is guaranteed contracts.

I would like to see an NFL style system in place with non-guaranteed contracts.

Cons:

Why would the players need to take pay cuts. They could stay at the same salary and earn more per game (until the concurrent cap is weened down to its proper position due to less revenue). They'd earn the same amount through less games. I think that would be a positive for them rather than a negative. I'm pretty sure that the NHLPA will be looking at something like a reduction of regular season games, definitely remember hearing it somewhere....

a 15% increase in tickets prices will not make up for:

- 15% reduction of game tickets for sale and

- 15% reduction of TV ad revenue and

- 15% reduction of radio ad revenue and

- 15% reduction of game-by-game merchandise sales

- 15% reduction of concession and parking sales

-as well as 15% reduction in charitable runs like 50/50 tickets.

Obviously, scale everything else up proportionally.

charge 15% more per ticket

charge 15% more per TV ad

charge 15% more per radio ad

charge 15% more for game merchandise

charge 15% more for parking

Justify it by selling the notion of "quality over quantity". No lame back-to-back games where one team is dog tired by the third period. Both teams will be fresh for the entire game. Each game will get more pre-game hype due to more time to promote each game (because of no back-to-back games). Games in October will matter a lot instead of it being a semi-pre-season like it currently is. End product for the regular season will be better overall.

I can't remember if it was NBC or ABC but a few years ago, that network didn't even broadcast games until January when games mattered. It's a joke. Lessen the amount of games played and in irony of it all, revenues will increase.

personally I wish they'd shorten the pre-season, start three or four weeks earlier, and end the playoffs before it gets nice outside.

Not sure I care much about the number of games, but would love for hockey to be done by mid May.

The preseason games used to be for players to get back into shape after the summer. Now the players follow their regime most of the year & few show up out of shape.

Day 1 lineups are decided by the end of training camp & players impressing in preseason games to the extent they are in the day 1 lineup has become largely a myth.

So there doesn't remain a valid reason for that many preseason games. Maybe have each team play 2-3 if they want to maintain the illusion but get them done within a week.

By the end of winter people's thoughts turn to enjoying the outdoors & such. As the weather gets nicer & the playoffs progress the crowds become the fans of remaining teams & the hard core hockey fans that will watch regardless of the teams involved.

So cutting the useless exhibitions to start earlier could put the SCF in mid to the end of May before people are distracted by the weather, yard-work & things like baseball & football gearing up.

It's an easy way to start & end the season earlier.

personally I wish they'd shorten the pre-season, start three or four weeks earlier, and end the playoffs before it gets nice outside.

Not sure I care much about the number of games, but would love for hockey to be done by mid May.

you live in Calgary right? Mission accomplished!

Remove public disclosure of Players salaries. We the fan don't need to know. The public focus needs to shift on how well a player actually plays, not focus on how much he makes. Hockey will be better off for it.

Remove insane contracts like the recent Ilya Kovalchuk contract. 5 or so years max is more than enough.

Remove public disclosure of Players salaries. We the fan don't need to know. The public focus needs to shift on how well a player actually plays, not focus on how much he makes. Hockey will be better off for it.

But they are a union. They need to disclose so everybody knows what everybody else is making. At least, they must disclose it internally amongst themselves. Which then would have information seep through the cracks of wives, agents, friends of friends, etc and in no time, the public will know anyways.

But they are a union. They need to disclose so everybody knows what everybody else is making. At least, they must disclose it internally amongst themselves. Which then would have information seep through the cracks of wives, agents, friends of friends, etc and in no time, the public will know anyways.

Well you could say that peoples but, do we the fans need to know? Maybe the agents and within the union so a player can say so and so is getting $$ at an arbitration meeting or something.

As for the why we don't need to know? Because we the fan are losing the ability to judge a players abilities on their own merit. Case in point right here would be JBO for example.

Few here would be complaining about JBo and his play if they didn't know how much he was making. His hits don't get softer because he makes lots of money yet people criticize him for not earning the bucks.

The only people that would be really hurt by not having that info is the media and the armchair GM's.

Archived