Rumored No Trade

cmpdave

^ 1 of the posters on the Flyers board posted a link to something out of Columbus saying the same thing. I think it was Blue Jackets Extra or something like that.

If it's true Snow was just as stupid for making the offer as Howson was for turning it down.

That's 2 guys that needn't wait for membership invitations from Mensa. :lol:

Howson was Lowe's assistant during the Oilers collapse, don't expect much from "The Sorceror's Apprentice"

OMG! No wonder he thinks all lottery picks are gold & thinks even the players that want out will yield more in a trade then anyone else sees as doable.

Meanwhile, Ray Shero trained under Poile & got a huge return for Jordan Staal (a player that not so subtly hinted he wanted to be moved).

honestly, if I were the Jackets I would have turned that down too. This wasn't a good draft so to stock picks in a softer draft, not al of which you'll be able to sign because of contract limitations, doesn't make alot of sense to me, especially when your passing up Ryan Murray to do it. Sure you could argue the more picks the more chances to have, but again if your going to select 14 or so players in one year your going go have issues trying to sign them all and stay under the 50 anyway.

honestly, if I were the Jackets I would have turned that down too. This wasn't a good draft so to stock picks in a softer draft, not al of which you'll be able to sign because of contract limitations, doesn't make alot of sense to me, especially when your passing up Ryan Murray to do it. Sure you could argue the more picks the more chances to have, but again if your going to select 14 or so players in one year your going go have issues trying to sign them all and stay under the 50 anyway.

It was a drop of 2 spots. They'd still get a good player @ #4. It might not even be Murray the Isles were after as Wang (I think he was responsible for the offer) might have thought the Oilers would by pass Nail for a defense-man.

It then depends what you do with all those picks. You can afford to go for the long bomb on players that look years away but going the college route or will spend a few years finishing commitments in Europe. In either case you don't need to sign them until they are ready but hold their rights. If they haven't progressed to the point you hoped you don't even offer that EL.

Conversely, you can bundle a few of those picks for higher 1s in 2013. For example, 2 3rds & a 4th for a 2nd next year. In rounds 2-7 those are the 1st & 4th picks that round.

Just because you draft a player you aren't obligated to sign him. Depending on the course he's taking (CHL, a Euro league, college) you have a certain # of years to sign him but you own his rights. It's just another trade chip.

People are making a big deal about nothing. This is basically the 2nd overall for the 4th overall and a 2nd round draft pick. 3-7 round picks are next to worthless.

lol

until Feast trades a 5th and then all hell breaks loose.

Seriously though, it is ridiculous that people keep saying this - it simply isn't true.

It was a drop of 2 spots. They'd still get a good player @ #4. It might not even be Murray the Isles were after as Wang (I think he was responsible for the offer) might have thought the Oilers would by pass Nail for a defense-man.

It then depends what you do with all those picks. You can afford to go for the long bomb on players that look years away but going the college route or will spend a few years finishing commitments in Europe. In either case you don't need to sign them until they are ready but hold their rights. If they haven't progressed to the point you hoped you don't even offer that EL.

Conversely, you can bundle a few of those picks for higher 1s in 2013. For example, 2 3rds & a 4th for a 2nd next year. In rounds 2-7 those are the 1st & 4th picks that round.

Just because you draft a player you aren't obligated to sign him. Depending on the course he's taking (CHL, a Euro league, college) you have a certain # of years to sign him but you own his rights. It's just another trade chip.

I get that I just don't see where the advantage is to draft a bunch of guys you may not sign or won't be able to sign. They arn't going to be worth anything in trades becuase they'll just go right back into the draft and they were depth picks anyway.

If I was the Jackets, I would have done the same thing. I would have taken Murray and done the rest of my draft. I think picks in round 3-7 are worthwhile too, i do, but in this case getting a whole draft's worth of them is not worth it for me. But also keep in mind, I thought Ryan Murray for this draft it was Yakupov, Galenchyuk and Ryan Murray and then a big step down to the next set of picks so for me dropping down two spots is alot. i would have only done it on condition that Murray would still be there.

How many of those picks have the wings turned into top players? The answer is not many.

Datsyuk - 6th round

Zetterberg - 7th round

Filppula - 3rd round

Franzen - 3rd round

Helm - 5th round

That's over 1/2 their top 9.

Do you want the D too?

Remember Nik Lidstrom was a 3rd rounder.

Helm is a bottom 9 player and how many have they done on the last 5 years over even the last 10? The wings draft well I won't deny that, Columbus doesn't and this trade was not a great one to make. Look what buffalo paid to move up into the teens for example. I still maintain it would have been a bad trade for them to make.

People are making a big deal about nothing. This is basically the 2nd overall for the 4th overall and a 2nd round draft pick. 3-7 round picks are next to worthless.

tell that to Heinrik Zetterberg, Heinrik Lundquist, Kevin Bieksa, Clowe, Zidlicky, Oduya, Wisniewski, and your new golden boy Wideman. The NHL will always have late round surprises or players that come into their own after being drafted late, or not even drafted at all a'la Martin St. Louis, whom Calgary gave up on before he became a star in Tampa Bay.

Archived