Jordan Staal Trade Rumors Are Hot And Heavy

Flame111

(1) Edmonton for their 1st - http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/18907726/would-you-trade-the-no-1-pick-for-jordan-staal-or-a-player-like-him

(2) Carolina - makes zero sense with big Brother Eric and Skinner as 1-2 at C but hey who cares. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/the-jordan-staal-to-carolina-rumors-are-heating-up/

(3) NYR - got the D to ship and the two-way C needs an upgrade. Trading match ?

Bob Mackenzie J. Staal tweets

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/lets_talk_jordan_staal/10686095

There’s a lot of Jordan Staal talk, where his long-term home is (PIT or elsewhere?). Being a year from UFA means he’s driving the bus.

PIT can’t get full market value in trade for J Staal if he’s one and done in the new locale. So Staal ultimately ends up wherever he wants.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all three Staal brothers eventually want to play on same team. Eric, BTW, has four more years on his CAR deal.

Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn’t a Penguin—not suggesting he’s not—a Cane seems logical.

Bottom line is in 1 yr, it’s entirely his call. That power/influence dramatically impacts potential move this summer.

if Jordan isn’t a Penguin—not suggesting he’s not—a Cane seems logical.

I was reading in the paper today, sorry no link as just a paper, that the canes are interested in Parise (I know, who isn't interested in him) and could make a big move for him as they're wanting an impact winger for E. Staal. Now I'm not saying the sports writer has the best contacts and information, but just on an outside look at it that would make more sense than trading assets for J. Staal.

Seeing several games with the canes this year as the Jets being in the same division E. Staal was real solid and if he had a winger like Parise on his line that would be a major threat for opposing teams. Then the fact you can throw out Skinner who can do so much simply on his own and you got 2 lines that are a threat.

Parise as a UFA signing even if it's a large contract to play top line with E. Staal wins out every time against trading assets for J. Staal (and not to mention he could walk in a year).

Do the canes win the Parise sweepstakes?(if they're even going to be in them), maybe, maybe not, but that would be a very exciting thing for canes fans and not so good for my Jets next year.

Jordan Staal wants a bigger role, with the Penguins. There has been multiple quotes from him stating that he wants a long term contract with the Penguins and from Shero stating his priority this summer is to get Crosby and Staal locked up long term. The only way he is traded is if some team offers a ridiculous package for him.

Of course Jordan Staal wants a bigger role. It's a contract year for him. Which scares me because he didn't whine about a bigger role until now. He seems like the kind of guy who will sign a long term contract and then fade into the background.

I agree with this. I'd want no part of him unless the payment is reasonable, which it likely will not be.

Of course Jordan Staal wants a bigger role. It's a contract year for him. Which scares me because he didn't whine about a bigger role until now. He seems like the kind of guy who will sign a long term contract and then fade into the background.

I son't agree with this at all. The Staal's are a class act.

Staal would have been a bad teammate to voice his displeasure. It would border on requesting a trade. Instead he did his job and kept his mouth shut. He should be applauded for that.

Now as his contract approaches its final year he starts to speak up because it may be clear at this point that he wants out of Pitts and to take that bigger role.

No way you condemn him for it. The Staal's signing a big contract and fading? Yeah that is what Eric did and Marc did. I don't think so, these guys have pride on the line, they are worker players, not floating players who get the contract and float it out after…

Any Staal, Jordan, Eric or Marc would certainly be one I would want on the Flames...

Dont see how this is interesting. I personally would not trade Staal for just the first overall. Why? Because Staal is part of the core and contributes to the Penguins being a SC favorite now, where as that draft pick could amount to nothing.

• 1 month later...

Just turned down a 10 yr deal stating he won't sign an extension right now. Doesnt mean he wont sign one with Pitt, maybe he wants to see what kind of improved roll they are offering him next year OR he doesn't want to live in Malkin or Crosby's shadow anymore.

Just turned down a 10 yr deal stating he won't sign an extension right now. Doesnt mean he wont sign one with Pitt, maybe he wants to see what kind of improved roll they are offering him next year OR he doesn't want to live in Malkin or Crosby's shadow anymore.

Yeah, he might want to test the UFA waters next year. The Pens might be offering less then he figures he'd get & still have a choice of destinations as he can't receive a valid NTC/NMC as those don't kick in until the player is 27 I believe (Jordan is 23). He might also be scared of a sign & trade for that reason. They'll expect the hometown discount & reap a bundle once Crosby & Malkin are safely under contract.

Hate to break it for everyone drooling over the prospect of Staal being traded but he cant sign at this time, its not July 1 yet. All this means is that Shero and Staal are talking to see what eachothers interests are.

The contract was offered although the paperwork couldn't be filed until July 1.

Posted this in the other thread as well:

So it may just be a rumour, however all of the TSN analysts (these guys are not the be all end all) are saying Staal turned down the 10 years @ $6,000,000 a year. I would not call that just seeing what Staal is interested in. I call that a very serious offer, and one that would put to rest any ideas that Staal is holding out for more money or a better term. If he loves Pittsburgh so much and does not want to leave, I do not see any logical reason he would turn that offer down. This more than likely signals his desire to play in Carolina with his brother, as already pointed out, if anything. You never know though if maybe he just wants a place where he has the shot at being "the guy".

I think Staal's rejection of todays contract has more to do with the expiring CBA than anything else. Remember, last time they signed a deal, all contracts were slashed 24% so if the owners are hell bent on splitting revenue's at 50/50 then players may have to take another cut ( currently at 58/42 in favor of players) . The other big issue for the owners are these long term contacts so who knows if they can implement a roll back on those. If they do, then Staal would end up getting screwed twice.

Agents are most likely telling there big clients to hold off signing a deal until the new CBA is done..... Staal's agent didnt say he wont sign an extension with Pittsburg, rather that he wouldnt do it at this time.

Archived