Overrating Mike Smith

The_People1

I can't be the only one who thinks Mike Smith is "average". By average, i mean, amongst a cluster of goalies ranked around 15th best in the NHL. FAR from what commentators in the playoffs are labeling a "travesty that he's not nominated for the Vezina." Give me a freakin break. The guy is a Bryzgalov version 2.0.

Phoenix makes goalies look better than their stats would suggest, not the other way around.

If you put Mike Smith back in Tampa Bay, he'll be the same bust that he was and Tampa would be no better as a team. In comparison, if you put Kiprusoff or Luongo in Tampa Bay, then Tampa instantly becomes a playoff team. If you put Lundqvist, Quick, or Rinne in Tampa Bay, then Tampa instantly becomes a division champion.

Mike Smith is a big awkward goaltender who relies heavily on team defense alone to box out the front of his net and clear the juicy rebounds that he always allows. His anticipation is sub-par and does not read plays in advance like an elite goaltender should. The guy has limited recovery abilities once he's down and doesn't get back up as fast as other elite goalies in the league. There are brainfart moments that make you wonder how he even got to the NHL. ie. puck lays open infront of the crease for 2 full seconds and he just stays stationary on the goal line instead of pouncing on the puck to freeze it.

Just from an individual talent perspective, Mike Smith is so overrated.

Agrees?

I'd agree that he's in that cluster of starting goalies that are middle of the pack. The track record can't be ignored, but he's playing really good so he does deserve that credit.

Like any other player, a goalie can shine in one situation on a team and be a disappointment on some other team. But the yotes are a team that can take one of these middle of the pack goalies and put him in a chance to shine.

I'd also say that being a middle of the pack starting goalie these days isn't so bad as that's still better than most. As you stated peeps, there's only that few limited guys that are elite no matter what team or situation they're in.

We've been lucky with Kipper since he's been here, because once he's gone the team will have to make major adjustments to it's defensive strategies because right now we aren't the kind of team that can take a middle of the pack goalie and make him shine. If Kipper can't get us into the playoffs, then a middle of the pack guy certainly isn't.

There`s a reason why he wasn`t nominated for the Vezina. Most of that kind of talk is the TSN panellists hyping up a guy who has been very fortunate to be playing on arguably the best-coached team in the NHL.

I like the guy, and depending on how the team does in front of him he may even be a Cup-winning goalie. But being a Cup-winner doesn`t automatically make you elite. See: Niemi, Antti and Fleury, Marc-Andre.

I had to think about this awhile.

This is the same Mike Smith (Turco's backup) that in essence TBay traded Brad Richards for.

I can well imagine the pressure on Smith for replacing a Brad Richards. Jussi Jokinen and Jeff Halpern went with him in the deal, leading me to believe Smith was the "prize".

Tough card for a developing-into-a-starter goalie.

It was a current Cory Schneider scenario.

It didn't work, at all.

Phoenix has helped him regain his confidence, and I think he's back to the "Turco's backup" status that fetched BRichards.

Definitely not in the same league as Vezina finalists, but effective.

Of all of the attributes that you mentioned People, not many goalies are outstanding at any of them, and none at all of them.

I think it only highlights the importance of team defence.

Archived