With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

Sutter doesnt even come close to replacing what Staal brings and the 8th overall is next to useless to a contending team. This isnt the Oilers who are happy collecting top draft picks and going nowhere every year.

Personally I think you are over-valueing Staal and his current situation for PIT. He is a 3rd line c that should be a 2nd line C but is in line for a big raise. Stajan would be a good replacement for Staal with PIT but because Staal is a better talent something else of use has to go to PIT.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening into one of the (On Demand) links on the 960 website today, I heard that there could be a possibility that the Flames trade their pick to go later in the round and possibly for a late 1st and a 2nd rounder? That was just a theory, but it could be good, as they thought that the Flames might think that after the top 10 all of the players seem to be in the same class of skill throughout, so, if everyone's in that category from 10-30, it would be good to get that 2nd rounder back. That of course is dependant on someone really wanting a specific player.

I am not opposed to it. But I really would like them to draft a playmaker, I suppose, even if it's on D. But I feel like I want a RW/C...

Listening into one of the (On Demand) links on the 960 website today, I heard that there could be a possibility that the Flames trade their pick to go later in the round and possibly for a late 1st and a 2nd rounder? That was just a theory, but it could be good, as they thought that the Flames might think that after the top 10 all of the players seem to be in the same class of skill throughout, so, if everyone's in that category from 10-30, it would be good to get that 2nd rounder back. That of course is dependant on someone really wanting a specific player.

I am not opposed to it. But I really would like them to draft a playmaker, I suppose, even if it's on D. But I feel like I want a RW/C...

Its more then a theory. Feaster and Weisbrod have both acknowledged it as a possibility. It makes sense depending on who is on the board at 14. If a player the Flames really wants falls then they keep it. If not it evens out pretty quick after 10. Especially of the players like Faksa and Ceci haven't fallen within reach.

If the Flames target Jankowski for example might as well trade down. Assuming there is a taker of course.

I'm really not an advocat for trading down, especially in a draft like this one. After 15 picks the talent in this draft really drops off and in any other draft the guys after 15 would probably go in the second round. I'd say it'd be best to stay where we are.

Just a side note Bob Mckenzie's list and Craig Button and Pierre McGuire's( McGuire is terrible, I know) mock draft both have Grigorenko outside the top 10. I would be ecstatic if he fell to the flames.

I really don't buy all the russian factor thing with him at all. It seems to me that he doesn't have that entitled attitude associated with his other countrymen such as Semin as Radulov.

I'm really not an advocat for trading down, especially in a draft like this one. After 15 picks the talent in this draft really drops off and in any other draft the guys after 15 would probably go in the second round. I'd say it'd be best to stay where we are.

Just a side note Bob Mckenzie's list and Craig Button and Pierre McGuire's( McGuire is terrible, I know) mock draft both have Grigorenko outside the top 10. I would be ecstatic if he fell to the flames.

I really don't buy all the russian factor thing with him at all. It seems to me that he doesn't have that entitled attitude associated with his other countrymen such as Semin as Radulov.

Also the rumours about his age... Some say he might be 21, and his mom has changed his birth certificate... if that was true, he would be a 21yr old playing Jr. His stats wouldn't be that impressive anymore.

I trust management to make another solid 1st round selection. I would be fine drafting Pouilot at 14 too. Cross my fingers a player like Ceci drops. Zemgus Girgenson might be an interesting option too... after 15 its pretty much a crap shoot.

After seeing TSN mock draft I really want the Flames to try and pick up a 2nd. Players like Thrower, Collberg, Aberg, Bozon etc. are still left. It would be absolutely amazing if the Flames drafted Pouliot, and some how landed one of them in the 2nd. Talk a bout a big boost to our prospect cupboard.

Also the rumours about his age... Some say he might be 21, and his mom has changed his birth certificate... if that was true, he would be a 21yr old playing Jr. His stats wouldn't be that impressive anymore.

I trust management to make another solid 1st round selection. I would be fine drafting Pouilot at 14 too. Cross my fingers a player like Ceci drops. Zemgus Girgenson might be an interesting option too... after 15 its pretty much a crap shoot.

After seeing TSN mock draft I really want the Flames to try and pick up a 2nd. Players like Thrower, Collberg, Aberg, Bozon etc. are still left. It would be absolutely amazing if the Flames drafted Pouliot, and some how landed one of them in the 2nd. Talk a bout a big boost to our prospect cupboard.

I can feel that the Flames will get a 2nd in this years draft. I recall Conroy saying that Feaster is looking to get that 2nd back. I'm just not sure a 2nd can be garnered without trading any of the following:

Iggy, Cammy, Tangs, Gio (pretty sure none of these 4 will be moved).

The only other realistic name that comes to mind is JayBo. The rumors have been swirling regarding him.

Also the rumours about his age... Some say he might be 21, and his mom has changed his birth certificate... if that was true, he would be a 21yr old playing Jr.

That rumor is absolutly bogus. You can't honestly believe that. He's a 1994 kid

That rumor is absolutly bogus. You can't honestly believe that. He's a 1994 kid

Do I personally believe it? No. Has it been done before? Yes. (other sports). Either way, he keeps dropping in the rankings, question marks all over his attitude... I just don't want to waist a 1st with the state of this organization...

Do I personally believe it? No. Has it been done before? Yes. (other sports). Either way, he keeps dropping in the rankings, question marks all over his attitude... I just don't want to waist a 1st with the state of this organization...

I think the reason he fell the most was due to his poor playoff performance. It was said at the time he had mono so I understand that his tiredness was interpreted as laziness.

As for attitude, I'm not too concerned. As James Duthie mentioned during the bob Mckenzie list, he wore a Canada shirt to the combine. It was so when teams questioned him about the russian flight risk he could make a joke about it.

As James Duthie mentioned during the bob Mckenzie list, he wore a Canada shirt to the combine. It was so when teams questioned him about the russian flight risk he could make a joke about it.

You know, happy-go-lucky thoughts and intentions are one thing, a $5M per year tax-free cash offer from CSKA Moscow when you're making $400k in the NHL after tax is another thing entirely. Especially when your young and want the nice cars and big houses and stuff that you'd surely get in your home country.

There is no Russian born player worth taking a risk on in this draft other than Yakupov, and even then, I'd rather trade down and avoid it. There is just much less risk with other choices. This organization doesn't need a Zherdev or Radulov or Semin.

I don't know if I am crazy or not, but I'm hoping we get Alex with the 14th pick. Attitude problems or not, if he can fix it, he may be a solid top 6 NHL player for us in the future, and we need Centre prospects.

Are you referring to Galchenyuk? If so I haven't heard of any attitude problems from him. He seems to be a really hard working player all round.

He certainly won't be around by the time we pick

I don't disagree. But the 8 overall is still an asset and could be turned into a solid winger or D. Plus the cap space would be beneficial and Sutter does effectively fill the roll of a 3-line C.

Carolina is one of the few teams that will pay full value for Staal as they have to be confident they can re-sign him.

8th overall does nothing to help them win the cup now. They dont need young assets, their team is young assets. Again, the price for the Canes to pick up Staal will be Skinner and I doubt the Canes do a trade like that.

Many thought that 13th wouldn't go anywhere last year. What's that guy's name again...? Does it start with an Sv...?

That being said, first rounders always have huge potential. Giroux was a late first rounder and he's only one example. I also think that Sutter (if we're talking about Brandon) brings a lot to the table. Leadership being one of his desirable traits.

As much as I hate the Oilers, I think that plenty of their picks have the potential of being star quality players.

Sorry for the contradictions...

An 8th overall pick does nothing for a contender. The Penguins dont want to wait around 2-5 years for a pick like that to make an impact on the lineup. Staal makes a huge impact now, that pick doesnt. Staal pushes them closer to another cup, that pick doesnt.

Personally I think you are over-valueing Staal and his current situation for PIT. He is a 3rd line c that should be a 2nd line C but is in line for a big raise. Stajan would be a good replacement for Staal with PIT but because Staal is a better talent something else of use has to go to PIT.

Who lead the Penguins in scoring this playoffs? Who had 50 points in 60 games as a 23 year old? Staal is a good second line center now, with the potential to be a good first line center. Hes also a Selke grade forward. Im not overvalueing Staal, hes that good.

8th overall does nothing to help them win the cup now. They dont need young assets, their team is young assets. Again, the price for the Canes to pick up Staal will be Skinner and I doubt the Canes do a trade like that.

An 8th overall pick does nothing for a contender. The Penguins dont want to wait around 2-5 years for a pick like that to make an impact on the lineup. Staal makes a huge impact now, that pick doesnt. Staal pushes them closer to another cup, that pick doesnt.

You don't think PIT would embarrass themselves by asking for Skinner do you ? they should know the answer to that one. Once again I think you are over valuing Jordan Staal snd the type of player PIT actually need for that 3rd line C position.

Are you referring to Galchenyuk? If so I haven't heard of any attitude problems from him. He seems to be a really hard working player all round.

He certainly won't be around by the time we pick

Oh, I heard from a few friends that he had a small attitude problem.

Here's hoping his injury slids him down to our position.. But again, I could completely be thinking of the wrong player.

Who lead the Penguins in scoring this playoffs? Who had 50 points in 60 games as a 23 year old? Staal is a good second line center now, with the potential to be a good first line center. Hes also a Selke grade forward. Im not overvalueing Staal, hes that good.

Re:

Skinner, you can't score in the playoffs if you haven't been in them. That makes J. Staal's #s irrelevant as comparison.

63 points in 82 games as an 18 year old, 44 in 64 @ 19. (Better #s than Jordan on a weaker team.)

Plays all forward positions so can fill in effectively where needed.

Has a year left of his EL allowing parts to be added to better the team.

With all Jordan Staal's pluses he earns 4.5 & is looking for a raise. He'd be the 2D behind his big brother Eric.

The Canes would be crazy to trade Skinner for Jordan. Heck of a good deal for the Pens though.

The Canes would be crazy to trade Skinner for Jordan. Heck of a good deal for the Pens though.

Although this would play no fact in a deal...Skinner is a sure lock for team Canada (if NHL players go) for the next Olympics if he's healthy (and there aren't to many locks for that team). J.Staal may or may not even be a summer camp invite.

Skinner is just at a higher level for me to have them a one for one.

I think if Mikhail Grigorenko is available by our pick i think it would be dumb not to draft him

That's a big risk, always run the risk of going to KHL . I think Whoever the Flames pick it will be a good player...lots of guys have dropped in the rankings. my pick is Ceci if he is available...or a Center. Our D isn't as deep as I once thought.

That's a big risk, always run the risk of going to KHL . I think Whoever the Flames pick it will be a good player...lots of guys have dropped in the rankings. my pick is Ceci if he is available...or a Center. Our D isn't as deep as I once thought.

Flamesnation did a write up on him and pointed out why he is unlikely to return to Russia. For me, if a player comes to Canada to play junior I am less concerned about a flight risk.

Flamesnation did a write up on him and pointed out why he is unlikely to return to Russia. For me, if a player comes to Canada to play junior I am less concerned about a flight risk.

I think the biggest deciding factor if he falls to our pick is the CBA and where it stands. If there is any chance of a lock out many teams might shy away from European players especially Russian.

Archived