With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

I'm sure it's too early in the draft but I'm very intrigued by Stefan Matteau. Big and mean and loves to battle in front of the net. If his skating gets a bit better he'll be a very solid NHLer. I like all the skilled guys the Flames are acquiring but I'd like to see a hard as nails power forward with a mean streak.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it's too early in the draft but I'm very intrigued by Stefan Matteau. Big and mean and loves to battle in front of the net. If his skating gets a bit better he'll be a very solid NHLer. I like all the skilled guys the Flames are acquiring but I'd like to see a hard as nails power forward with a mean streak.

I wish we had a second round to get him or thrower

I like all the skilled guys the Flames are acquiring but I'd like to see a hard as nails power forward with a mean streak.

Like the guys we've blown our top picks on for years and never amounted to anything?

We can go sign a gritty guy no problem in FA. Why draft them? I can't easily go sign a top winger or centre. Those are the guys to target in the draft, high potential, but risky, players.

Otherwise you end up with a team of David Moss type players.

Like the guys we've blown our top picks on for years and never amounted to anything?

We can go sign a gritty guy no problem in FA. Why draft them? I can't easily go sign a top winger or centre. Those are the guys to target in the draft, high potential, but risky, players.

Otherwise you end up with a team of David Moss type players.

I guess I'm a little higher on Matteau than you are. Some think he's a David Backes type player in terms of style and character and will move up considerably on draft day. I'm not sure I'd roll the dice at 14th position but he does have some very interesting upside if he can produce at the NHL level. A power forward who can produce is not easy to find.

Like the other poster said, if we had that 2nd round pick and he was still available.

I guess I'm a little higher on Matteau than you are. Some think he's a David Backes type player in terms of style and character and will move up considerably on draft day. I'm not sure I'd roll the dice at 14th position but he does have some very interesting upside if he can produce at the NHL level. A power forward who can produce is not easy to find.

Like the other poster said, if we had that 2nd round pick or can if we can get a another pick somehow, I'd like to see the FLames get him.

LOL, I guess I liked my response so much I submitted it twice. I couldn't find a way to delete it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for the draft. I really believe we will end up with Collberg, and I think that would be a great pick!

Fast, good in corners, doesn't back down, high skill set, maybe the best (top 3 for sure) shot in the draft.

We need a C, so with the new rankings, what is everyone's thoughts on Mark Jankowski?

We need a C, D, RW, etc. We don't draft to address a team need, we draft the best player available at our spot. Jankowski is not that player.

Jankowski is interesting, but I see him going in the early 2nd.

We need a C, D, RW, etc. We don't draft to address a team need, we draft the best player available at our spot. Jankowski is not that player.

Jankowski is interesting, but I see him going in the early 2nd.

I asked cause in Craig's latest draft rankings JAnkowski is ranked right at 14, our pick. as per - Draft Rankings

Based strictly on stats, Mark Jankowski - Stanstead (Quebec Prep)-9/13/94 GP-57, G-53, A-40, P-93, +51, (from same link as above) I don't see how he would last till the second round, could you explain more on your reasoning for this?

And yes, I know that C is not the only position that we need, and that you always take best player available. Also, know that Craig's rankings are not the end all be all, it is just I have not seen Jankowski's name on here and was wondering why.

I asked cause in Craig's latest draft rankings JAnkowski is ranked right at 14, our pick. as per - Draft Rankings

Based strictly on stats, Mark Jankowski - Stanstead (Quebec Prep)-9/13/94 GP-57, G-53, A-40, P-93, +51, (from same link as above) I don't see how he would last till the second round, could you explain more on your reasoning for this?

And yes, I know that C is not the only position that we need, and that you always take best player available. Also, know that Craig's rankings are not the end all be all, it is just I have not seen Jankowski's name on here and was wondering why.

Actually, it wouldn't shock me. At the fan forum Feaster said there was a player who was a couple of years away but who could ultimately prove to be the best player in the draft. Jankowski potentially fits that description. That could explain why Button jumped him up so high in the draft.

I like high risk high rewards so I would be okay with the pick. Though I would prefer the Flames traded for a later 1-rounder instead so they could draft a player like Faksa, Pouliot, Girg, Grig, Faksa, or Collberg as well.

Those are high school stats, if he can't dominate in high school hockey then he shouldn't be drafted period. Seeing as he played against weaker competition it is really tough evaluate him. He will be a long term project.

Craig always has some unusual/eyebrow raising picks. Sometimes he nails a few.... Its nice to compile a list of 8-10 scouts and base it off that. Most (big majority) don't have him in the final top 30. At 14 we should probably be targeting Collberg, Maata, Pouliot, Finn, etc. My bet is on Collberg.

If we want Jankowski, we should trade down and acquire a 2nd to go with it. (I don't want this to happen).

For example: Buffalo 21st, 42nd, 44th for Calgary's 14th, 75th.

Jankowski plays in a far inferior league to even leagues like the Finnish Junior-As and the Swedish U-18s. So in genereal scouts don't have any real indication on his potential. He looks like he has a lot of skill but his competition is not a good judge of his ability to translate that skill.

For comparisons sake, if you put a top prospect like Jon Huberdeau or Sven Baertschi into a Quebec high school league then 200, 300 points isn't out of the question. Which is why his stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. A bit of the Brian Hart factor in that they both play for high school leagues that have debatable levels of competition.

Actually, it wouldn't shock me. At the fan forum Feaster said there was a player who was a couple of years away but who could ultimately prove to be the best player in the draft. Jankowski potentially fits that description. That could explain why Button jumped him up so high in the draft.

I like high risk high rewards so I would be okay with the pick. Though I would prefer the Flames traded for a later 1-rounder instead so they could draft a player like Faksa, Pouliot, Girg, Grig, Faksa, or Collberg as well.

So is Collberg though too. I think Collberg is a big project who you probably won't see in the NHL for several years becuae of how much strength he needs and the development that goes along with that.

I personally think Button's rankings are pretty off. He's got too many guys at the bottom fo the first, Faska, Collberg, Grigorenko that won't go there so I don't agree dropping down is a good idea. There isn't enough depth in this draft to warrant dropping down IMO.

So is Collberg though too. I think Collberg is a big project who you probably won't see in the NHL for several years becuae of how much strength he needs and the development that goes along with that.

I personally think Button's rankings are pretty off. He's got too many guys at the bottom fo the first, Faska, Collberg, Grigorenko that won't go there so I don't agree dropping down is a good idea. There isn't enough depth in this draft to warrant dropping down IMO.

I wouldn't drop down either. Just saying if you want to draft Jankowski get an early second or a late first in addition to the number 14.

I like Jankowski. But not as much as the other players likely available at 14

Question???

Why has Matt Dumba slid so far down so many peoples draft lists? I have even seen on some peoples lists on this thread that they wouldn't want to take them at 14?

Matt Dumba is seen as a boom or bust type player... Some scouts/people say he has a really weird/different frame (body). I've heard some scouts say that they worry his game won't translate well to the NHL, and his style is just really fit for CHL.

Dumba could be the next Phaneuf/Subban mix or a complete bust... I personally would take the risk. He is extremely fit, athletic, and great attitude. (Sisters friend). I think he will be very similar to PK, but with a better team attitude.

Matt Dumba is seen as a boom or bust type player... Some scouts/people say he has a really weird/different frame (body). I've heard some scouts say that they worry his game won't translate well to the NHL, and his style is just really fit for CHL.

Dumba could be the next Phaneuf/Subban mix or a complete bust... I personally would take the risk. He is extremely fit, athletic, and great attitude. (Sisters friend). I think he will be very similar to PK, but with a better team attitude.

And thats how I see him as well, an exciting Dman that can make a big play although he does tend to get out of position every now and then but thats something that can be developed over time.

At 14 I think it would be a hell of a steal.

GO REBELS GO!

Question???

Why has Matt Dumba slid so far down so many peoples draft lists? I have even seen on some peoples lists on this thread that they wouldn't want to take them at 14?

To enlighten on Wally's previous comment about Dumba's frame, he has really skinny legs. Having skinny legs myself, I can tell you that it places a lot more strain on my body when I skate, I just can't any high-end speed going because by the time I'm roaring up or down the ice my ankles are already starting to begin to give into the strain of my body weight.

The fact that Dumba can skate pretty fast is already a real good testament to his strength and endurance, but it seems that he might have sacrificed some other aspects of his skating in order to achieve that.

Dumba is a real boom-bust player compared to a lot of his fellow draft prospects and personally I feel the difference in upsides between a guy like Reinhart or a guy like Pouliot compared to Dumba would not be that large of a dropoff, if any.

I read the mock drafts on the home page and thought that two out of the 4 were not what we'd be looking for in the 1st round because I think we should be looking for a RW or C and those two had D on their list. As much as we can use some more high end depth on D, we need a #1 C and top6 RW to come from that 1st pick. I know that it's impossible to predict what a player's going to turn out like but I think they had Collberg and Gaunce as my choices. From what I've heard about the players I think they're good for what we're looking for. We need a C who can pass and score, and not just score, because I feel like C who just score, don't necessarily have the all around intelligence. It's basically what we had in Joker.

RW, I think that Collberg brings what we need there too from what I've read.

We shall see.

I understand that this years 1st round pick isn't the fix for our problems, but we need that high end talent in our system to at least get us there in a few years, or to roll in when guys like Cammy and Iggy are gone...

Craig always has some unusual/eyebrow raising picks. Sometimes he nails a few.... Its nice to compile a list of 8-10 scouts and base it off that. Most (big majority) don't have him in the final top 30. At 14 we should probably be targeting Collberg, Maata, Pouliot, Finn, etc. My bet is on Collberg.

Craigs list is how he thinks the players will stack up over there career, not necessarily where they will be drafted. His is a BPA list

He is not saying that Jankowski will be drafted 14th, just that he expects him to be the 14th bpa.

Craigs list is how he thinks the players will stack up over there career, not necessarily where they will be drafted. His is a BPA list

He is not saying that Jankowski will be drafted 14th, just that he expects him to be the 14th bpa.

Really? Thanks for the info. Thats really interesting. I'll go back and look at his list again.

Archived