With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THinking about this, we defintly should have drafted Vasilevsky and traded Kiprusoff away.

Bit of a headscratcher. I think the time between him being drafted and the time he becomes an impact goalie(if ever) is more than a season or two. In the meantime, we have two backups that can play right away(CT and Irving). I have some confidence in Irving, but not for a full season. Too much to ask. Ramo is committed to the KHL this year, so that is not the answer.

As a result, you would probably be well out of the playoffs this year. Unless you want a rebuild(tanking), this was not a good direction to take.

why? care to explain instead of simply tellin what you think what's best from YOUR perspective. god i've had enough of you!

It's simple, you don't trade a current top goalie for a prospect that is likely 3/4 plus years away and will likely never be as good as Kipper anyway.

you need to think much harder, that is a horrible idea

Whats wrong with trading the best goalie to ever play in the flames crease, I fail to see how anything could ever go wrong with that idea :rolleyes:

Basically my stand on Kipper is this. Trade him and I will burn down the saddledome and there will no longer be NHL hockey for anyone in Calgary.... EVER :D

why? care to explain instead of simply tellin what you think what's best from YOUR perspective. god i've had enough of you!

why explain when it is painfully obvious how horrible of an idea it is

but since you clearly have no clue

1) you don't need to trade Kipper to draft him, the kid won't be ready before Kiprusoff's contract is done.

2) goaltenders are hard to scout and predict, most goalies taken in the first round bust

3) we have Irving, Ramo, Brossoit & Ortio already

4)trading Kipper when you are trying to compete is not a good idea

why explain when it is painfully obvious how horrible of an idea it is

but since you clearly have no clue

1) you don't need to trade Kipper to draft him, the kid won't be ready before Kiprusoff's contract is done.

2) goaltenders are hard to scout and predict, most goalies taken in the first round bust

3) we have Irving, Ramo, Brossoit & Ortio already

4)trading Kipper when you are trying to compete is not a good idea

Drafting a goalie didn't mean playing him right away. I was saying, draft a goalie, trade kipper for fair value before it's too late, then you have a solid future in net and you can go with a tandem of our guys or just sign a veteran. What Kipper can get you + a possible veteran in net who can hold his own(or our own guys if they come out good enough) + a solid future in net looked better to me than just Kiprusoff whose contract is slowly but surely running out, so as his value.

I think you can make a strong case to trading Kipper. Limited time left. Age. Value is very high right now. NTC expired. Annual consistency issues.

You can also make a case to keep him. Lack of legitimate starter. Best chance to win. Only reason Flames have stayed somewhat competitive.

It all comes down on how much focus you believe the Flames should have on winning today versus building for tomorrow. Hence how polarized the fan base is on the subject.

But drafting a goalie has zero impact on trading Kipper or vice versa. The drafted goalie isnt playing during Kipper's tenure. And you made it sound like the drafted goalie makes Kipper expendable. Hence the flak you are taking.

I think you can make a strong case to trading Kipper. Limited time left. Age. Value is very high right now. NTC expired. Annual consistency issues.

You can also make a case to keep him. Lack of legitimate starter. Best chance to win. Only reason Flames have stayed somewhat competitive.

It all comes down on how much focus you believe the Flames should have on winning today versus building for tomorrow. Hence how polarized the fan base is on the subject.

But drafting a goalie has zero impact on trading Kipper or vice versa. The drafted goalie isnt playing during Kipper's tenure. And you made it sound like the drafted goalie makes Kipper expendable. Hence the flak you are taking.

Draft is a hard science for goaltenders, but IMO, Vasilevsky is quite something. Only time will tell though, and I can't agree that drafting a goalie in the first round doesn't influence your decision of trading Kipper. That's where we disagree, as some goalies have been able to step up right away a few years after they were drafted and had sucess. I think when you draft a goalie that high, you have high hopes that he'll be a decent starter soon enough. That's just my opinion. And it also gives you an option, which again should be taken in consideration when the decision is made to trade Kipper. Knowing you have a solid future in net directly influence your decision to trade your goaltender, and it gives you confidence that you will recover from the trade going forward while you will be enjoying the assests you got for him.

It's like saying drafting Carey Price didn't influence the decision to trade Jose Theodore back then.. of course it did.

Who cares if he steps up in a few years? What type of timeliness are you working on with Kipper?

Not looking to debate this though. The premise of drafting a goalie to allow you to trade Kipper is flawed. Which is why you were getting flack. Agree with it or not.

Irving is knocking on the door.

Ramo is waiting for a shot.

We might have a goalie on both the Canadian and US WJ teams this year in Brossoit and Gilles. Plus, we have Ortio. (yes, I know we just drafted Gilles, but we didn't spend a 1st on him).

Why in hell would the Flames spend a first round pick on Vasilevsky?

I'll take a 6'3" - 6'4" fast and smooth-skating C with velvet hands, thank you very much.

And, as kehatch said, trading Kipper is irrelevant to the conversation of whether or not to draft him.

IF Kipper is to be traded (and that's a big if), the perfect time IMO is at the trade deadline this year if the Flames find themselves out of the playoff picture. Beacause then they could run with Irving for the rest of the year to see what they have in him and then let the fight for the two spots begin in earnest next fall.

Archived