Is Kippers' Modern Day N H L Record Up For Grabs?

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rask or Elliot finish with less then a 1.69 GAA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Tough call

Miikka Kiprusoff set a modern day NHL record for lowest goals against in a single season in 2003-04 with a GAA of 1.69. This was when he was first aquired so he didn't play a full season but just 38 GP.

Presently there are two goaltenders challenging for that modern day record, in Tuukka Rask (BOS) with 1.69 GAA and Brian Elliiot (STL) with 1.68 GAA. Rask is just on pace for 29 games thus far but has been quite solid as of late, so that could change. Elliot is on pace for 38 games (same as Kipper)

Kippers' modern day record is the lowest GAA since 1940. Marty Turco previously held it with 1.72 GAA in 2002-03. It is pretty crazy if you look at some of the numbers from the early NHL days. WOW. 44GP with a 0.92 GAA?!?!?!? THAT'S INSANE!

List of LOWEST GAA IN A SINGLE SEASON

So what do you think?

It's gotta be more than 20 or 25, the guy with the lowest games played on the GAA leaders list is Rask (among others) at 18.

I dunno, the lowest on the list played 30 games.....the Quant hockey link doesn't seem to be working..... but both Rask and Elliot are projected to play more then 30 games? Elliot for sure. Rask is pretty close.

35i9nd3.jpg

It's gotta be more than 20 or 25, the guy with the lowest games played on the GAA leaders list is Rask (among others) at 18.

After the season ends is when they knock off the guys who played less than 20. It won't enter the record books even if he had a GAA below Kipper's unless he plays 25 games. Right now they're just stat tracking, if Elliott suddenly got hurt and didn't play a single game for the rest of the season, he would not be included in the leaderboard for GAA in their annual stats package.

After the season ends is when they knock off the guys who played less than 20. It won't enter the record books even if he had a GAA below Kipper's unless he plays 25 games. Right now they're just stat tracking, if Elliott suddenly got hurt and didn't play a single game for the rest of the season, he would not be included in the leaderboard for GAA in their annual stats package.

No, there is a tab on nhl.com that says "GAA leaders" that only includes goalies that played a certain number of games. If you click on just "GAA" you'll see the guys that played 20 minutes all year and didn't allow a goal.

No, there is a tab on nhl.com that says "GAA leaders" that only includes goalies that played a certain number of games. If you click on just "GAA" you'll see the guys that played 20 minutes all year and didn't allow a goal.

And not a single one of the players on the GAA leaders tab is prorated to play less than 25 games....

And not a single one of the players on the GAA leaders tab is prorated to play less than 25 games....

I'm aware. I read your comment as they have everyone on the list the remove the guys that failed to reach the set number of games after the season.

It's a pretty moot point anyways.

• 2 months later...

Never did really follow up on this, but Brian Elliot not only beat Kippers' record but he shattered it. It may stay for quite some time. Haven't heard much talk about it though, but then again I don't watch a lot of Blues games. I remember when Kipper posted a 1.69 GAA it was pretty big news. Elliot posted a 1.56 GAA in the exact same amount of games. Pretty incredible if you ask me. Also had a .940 save %..... doesn't that beat out Tim Thomas' record from 2010-11 as well? Is 38 games Vezina worthy?

Brian Elliot stats 2011-12

Is 38 games Vezina worthy?

Being in the Western Conference and more specifically being on the Blues effectively eliminates Elliot from any award discussion, other than the pure metrics Jennings award. Took Backes three years of insane play to get a Selke nod (in 2010-11 Backes led all forwards in +/-).

It's a popularity contest of who's hometown hero on the front page will sell more copies.

To get even considered for an award from a mid-west team, you'd have to single handedly win a Stanley Cup. Like have a goalie score two goals and get a shutout in game seven or something...

The awards are a media event for Toronto and the Eastern markets. It has nothing to do with hockey.

Being in the Western Conference and more specifically being on the Blues effectively eliminates Elliot from any award discussion, other than the pure metrics Jennings award. Took Backes three years of insane play to get a Selke nod (in 2010-11 Backes led all forwards in +/-).

It's a popularity contest of who's hometown hero on the front page will sell more copies.

To get even considered for an award from a mid-west team, you'd have to single handedly win a Stanley Cup. Like have a goalie score two goals and get a shutout in game seven or something...

The awards are a media event for Toronto and the Eastern markets. It has nothing to do with hockey.

A bit overstated ( :lol: ) but largely true.

If the reporters in the GTA area didn't see it, it doesn't exist.

• 5 months later...

Congratulations Elliot...unbelievable performance. A couple lessons to be learned here:

1. Maybe we should stop arguing about Kipper playing 60 games or 70 games.

Maybe he should play 38. That's how he got his record, and that's how his record was broken.

It was enough to get us in to the playoffs before, and it should be enough to get us in now.

2. Maybe we should give our backups a fighting chance.

Kipper set his record coming off of a 3.25 season

Elliot set his record coming off of a 3.83 season

What we do:

Karlsson gets 3.17 over 9 games, and we practically run him out of town.

Irving gets 3.20 over 7 games, and and we run him out of town.

Brent Krahn strings together incredible AHL seasons. We play him for one game and run him out of town.

We play Matt Keetley for one game. A Shutout. His AHL numbers are incredible. We run him out of town.

JS Giguere: We give him 7 games, he gives us 2.73, we give him the boot.

Rolosson: 2.89. We boot him.

Just sayin....are our goaltending prospects really that dismal? Are we really forced to play Kipper 70 games, and is that how to optimize his performance, or does it just draw more people to the rink?

I, for one, think Kipper should be playing 40 games, and we should let some of our many world-class prospects battle it out for the other 40. Honestly, I think we were insane to give up on Karlsson like we did. And we've never even given the rest a chance.

Archived