Michael Ferland Progressing Well

• 2 weeks later...

Now 11 - 10 - 21 in 15 games, still 9th in the dub

Wow, now 31 points in 18 games, for fourth overall.

On a point-per-game ranking, the Flames have two of the top 5 players in the WHL right now in Ferland and Bartschi.

Very impressive turnaround of events.

Then there's Reinhart, who's continuing to show NHL promise as well.

Patrick Holland could be added to the group too.

Very promising for the Flames..

That's great news. Finally some solid prospects in the system.

don't get ahead of yourself, I know this is going back a long ways but I am always cautious about prospects because of a kid named Corey Lyons. Scored 63 goals and 142 points the season after he was drafted. After 18 goals and 33 points in 77 games with Salt Lake (over 2 seasons) he was sent to the ECHL to never be heard from again

don't get ahead of yourself, I know this is going back a long ways but I am always cautious about prospects because of a kid named Corey Lyons. Scored 63 goals and 142 points the season after he was drafted. After 18 goals and 33 points in 77 games with Salt Lake (over 2 seasons) he was sent to the ECHL to never be heard from again

Things are definitely looking up. Pretty much every player from the 2010 and 2011 drafts look like they have potential. But I agree with Ring. We should temper our enthusiasm.

Rheault impressed us in camp a season ago and still hasn't received an NHL contract. Brodie was the talk of the town a season ago and he was an early exit from camp this season. Campbell's WHL numbers had people excited and after a dismal AHL campaign he has been riding the IR on the ECHL Grizzlies. Ryan Howse has failed to generate a point in 6 games with the Heat and is a -2. He has been a routine healthy scratch.

I am excited about some of the prospects though. Baertschi, Byron, Nemisz, Horak and Brodie will probably be NHL players. Reinhart, Holland, Henry, Ferland, Leach, Irving, and Howse are guys I am keeping a close eye on. Gaudreau, Granlund, Arnold, Ramage, and Wotherspoon may make the radar. Unfortunately most of them are still in junior meaning they may be a ways a way and there is a lot that can go wrong before they are NHLers.

Things are definitely looking up. Pretty much every player from the 2010 and 2011 drafts look like they have potential. But I agree with Ring. We should temper our enthusiasm.

Rheault impressed us in camp a season ago and still hasn't received an NHL contract. Brodie was the talk of the town a season ago and he was an early exit from camp this season. Campbell's WHL numbers had people excited and after a dismal AHL campaign he has been riding the IR on the ECHL Grizzlies. Ryan Howse has failed to generate a point in 6 games with the Heat and is a -2. He has been a routine healthy scratch.

I am excited about some of the prospects though. Baertschi, Byron, Nemisz, Horak and Brodie will probably be NHL players. Reinhart, Holland, Henry, Ferland, Leach, Irving, and Howse are guys I am keeping a close eye on. Gaudreau, Granlund, Arnold, Ramage, and Wotherspoon may make the radar. Unfortunately most of them are still in junior meaning they may be a ways a way and there is a lot that can go wrong before they are NHLers.

Ramage is one of my favourite prospects at this point. I understand why he's still in junior (he's at University), but you can't take away from the fact that he was named Captain of the U.S Junior Team. Guy's a big defensive stalwart and plays all defensive situations for Wisconsin.

Here's the thing...we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, but we shouldn't beat ourselves up either. Any other NHL team would gladly be in our position, with two of the top 5 WHL players, a winning AHL team, and numerous others with NHL potential.

I remember just two years ago that people on these forums were getting far more excited about far inferior prospects (I won't name them). It's taken us a long time to realize that our cupboards were bare. It took us so long, in fact, that it isn't even true anymore and we are over-reacting to a situation which has since past.

I would speculate that, right now, our prospect list is average or possibly above-average in the NHL. A year ago, it was one of the worst. I am really impressed with the improvements that have been made. If Feaster can keep them up, it is only a matter of time before these improvements are reflected at the NHL level. We don't know which prospects will, and won't, turn out. But I'm confident that we are in much better shape now than last year.

Here's the thing...we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, but we shouldn't beat ourselves up either. Any other NHL team would gladly be in our position, with two of the top 5 WHL players, a winning AHL team, and numerous others with NHL potential.

I remember just two years ago that people on these forums were getting far more excited about far inferior prospects (I won't name them). It's taken us a long time to realize that our cupboards were bare. It took us so long, in fact, that it isn't even true anymore and we are over-reacting to a situation which has since past.

I would speculate that, right now, our prospect list is average or possibly above-average in the NHL. A year ago, it was one of the worst. I am really impressed with the improvements that have been made. If Feaster can keep them up, it is only a matter of time before these improvements are reflected at the NHL level. We don't know which prospects will, and won't, turn out. But I'm confident that we are in much better shape now than last year.

who's beating ourselves up? I'm not saying anything negative about Ferland, just saying peopel need to temper the enthusiasm

It has definitely been a step in the right direction. But we still have a below average group of prospects. Especially with Erixon gone. Its just amplified because its been a long time since we had prospects to look forward to.

who?

maybe he meant Wahl? But he never had a dismal AHL campaign, he had almost no AHL campaign due to his concussion. But Wahl had 7 points in 5 games and according to the ECHL website he is no longer on their roster, so I would assume he has now been recalled.

Unless he means Cameron, he had a dismal AHL season last year after good OHL numbers and hasn't played yet this year

maybe he meant Wahl? But he never had a dismal AHL campaign, he had almost no AHL campaign due to his concussion. But Wahl had 7 points in 5 games and according to the ECHL website he is no longer on their roster, so I would assume he has now been recalled.

Unless he means Cameron, he had a dismal AHL season last year after good OHL numbers and hasn't played yet this year

I meant Cameron.

who's beating ourselves up? I'm not saying anything negative about Ferland, just saying peopel need to temper the enthusiasm

sorry raddd, when I said "I won't name names", I intended to refer to the Prospects (the failed ones), not posters.

Your post was entirely reasonable. I agree that we have a long way to go. But I think we're also all in agreeance that we have made huge improvements in this area and, for that, I think we should be enthusiastic. If we are able to sustain that kind of improvement, then there will be no need to ever finish last, like our friends up north.

P.S...Horak looked great tonight. A monster in the faceoffs...a very unusual strength for a rookie. For all we know, he will be that first-line centre in a few years. More likely, we'll have ourselves a solid 2nd-line centre. Whereever he ends up in our line-up, he will be good at it.

• 3 months later...

Why is no one talking about this kid? He had a 4 goal 5 point night a couple days ago. Not to mention that he actually outpaced Baertschi in point this month.

So I'm just curious why no one is talking about him?

People are, but there is a difference in the level of two prospets. 1, Ferland is doing this as a 19 year old, Baertschi in his 18 year old season so Ferland is further along in his development.

I think mainly though, people can look at Baertschi and know he is going to play in the NHL, with Ferland you don't necessarily get that. Ferland is a good prospect don't get me wrong, but he's got issues with footspeed and making that transition when you look at Baertschi you don't get that same idea. Ferland is very much one of those wait and see type prosepcts so it's difficult to talk alot about him.

• 4 weeks later...

just glad to see another goal scorer coming up the ranks. if memory serves me right hes a big guy as well which is terrific.

He is very big... and only 19!

6'2 - 208lbs (thats on the WHL site, but hasn't been updated all year... he's probably bigger.)

I think Ferland will be a 15G 20A solid 3rd liner... I hope more!

Archived