Raitis Ivanans Cleared For Full Contact

yukonwolf

Bob McKenzie via twitter is reporting that Ivanans has been cleared to start full contact.

I just don't see where he fits in on the roster now. What is his contract, is it a one way? Can he be bought out. I can't imagine anyone wanting to trade for him now, not after getting KO'd. What are your thoughts on this?

being cleared for full contact practices is not the same as being cleared for game action. But if he is able to play, I prefer him to Leblond who is just reackless and is a danger to everyone and not just himself. If we keep Leblond expect him suspended at least 2 more times.

I wish we didn't have Ivanans or Leblond. We're better off without them.

And who do you want to step in when goons like Hordichuk or guys known for their cheap shots like Eager and O'Brein are playing against you? Jackman can do it, but do we want him sitting in the box for 5 minutes or risking suspension? It's like the cold war arms race, Ivanans, Leblond and Desbiens are nuclear deterrents and they at teh very least will make the opposition think twice. Especially Ivanans who has gone after non-goons in the past for cheap shots and Leblond who doesn't think twice about hurting someone. Desbiens has a bit more skill but isn't as much a deterrent and will fill that role well in Abbotsford.

I would be fine if goons were eliminated from professional hockey, but as long as they are allowed to play, we need to have one.

We didn't have any goons last year so why do we need them this year? I dunno, I was digging our fourth line last year and don't really want to mess with it. Jackman seemed capable of handling the majority of fights last season. I suppose if an opposing team has a bunch of goons we could dress Ivanans but other than that he should be a healthy scratch for most of the year.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/5/season_leaders/reg2011

We didn't have any goons last year so why do we need them this year? I dunno, I was digging our fourth line last year and don't really want to mess with it. Jackman seemed capable of handling the majority of fights last season. I suppose if an opposing team has a bunch of goons we could dress Ivanans but other than that he should be a healthy scratch for most of the year.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/5/season_leaders/reg2011

i never said anything about dressing a tough guy every night

also we were pushed around alot last year

i never said anything about dressing a tough guy every night

also we were pushed around alot last year

Ill agree with that, Id rather see Ivanans or Leblond used as punching bags!

Up until Ivanans got KO he was a intimidating guy in the Nhl and im sure he still is,

Its not like he got Knocked out by just anyone Mac is a beast..

For a tough guy he's played a decent amount of games for LA at the Nhl level.

Leblond i dont really know what to think of this guy yet. So far he seems reckless, not much Nhl experience, more of a liability, I bet if the Flames office knew where Ivanans status was we wouldn't have him on our team.

I don't really consider Desbiens to be a goon, from what Ive seen so far he will be in Abby anyways.

Jackman is a warrior and will drop them with anyone but he doesn't win to many fights.

Having Ivanans or PL3 in the line up once in a while to make players think twice about what they say or do out there is a good thing and when Ivanans or Pl3(whoevers not in abby) is sitting in the pressbox Jackman can Handle business. I think he would suit a better role though this year preferably one that doesn't cause him to look like a raccoon again!

The problem is that this is the same argument that has been happening over and over for the past 6 seasons. Do we still need the enforcer? I would like to see a current list of one dimensional enforcers currently playing in the league and on what teams.

Looking at the number of players in the league with 15 or more major penalties last season, there is a total of 12 from 9 teams only 2 of which played fewer than 70 games. Over 20 there are only 3 on 3 separate teams all 3 of whom played over 70 games. None of Boston, Vancouver, San jose, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Washington, Detroit, Nashville, Pheonix or Chicago had a player with 15 or more major penalties. That means only 1 of the teams that made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs or beyond had a big fighter. That team was Anaheim with George Parros who played in 78 games.

St. Louis, Los Angeles, Toronto, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Dallas, Ottawa, New York Islanders and Carolina had players who played fewer than 60 games with 10 or more major penalties. That means that of the 39 players with 10 or more major penalties (typically fighting majors), only 9 played less than 75% of the season.

Of those 39 players are the likes of Jackman, Peckham, Ott, Prust, Konopka, Thornton, Mayers, Clowe etc. Very few of the players would be considered part time players for spot duty simply for the enforcer role. Neither Ivannans or Letourneau-Leblond would be considered at the same level of regular shift play as any of those players I listed above.

Recent history shows that the most successful teams do not have a main fighter on the team, nor anyone who fights a significant amount. Of those teams who are successful and do use fighters, those fighters bring a lot more to the table than being a 1 dimensional fighter. In my opinion, we have no need for Ivannans or Letourneau-Leblond. 1 dimensional fighters no longer are needed in the modern NHL.

Ivanans is a fighter. A player coming back from a concussion will try to minimize risks of suffering an even worse one. With that being the case, I have doubts Ivanans will be able to get back to his fighting level as from before his injury. It is always good to hear of a player recovering from a concussion bur Ivanans will be a liability on the squad till he regains his confidence in dropping the gloves.

The goon debate is a bigger one. Is a goon necessary on a team? Depends from team to team. Playing in the same division as a team having Hordichuck and Eager makes it crucial for the team to have someone who can drop the gloves in order to get such pests off the ice to protect our top 6. Many of you say Jackman is good enough to drop the gloves, but the way Jackman played last year I wouldn't want to see him in the penalty box that often.

Is a goon needed for the flames this year? Yes in the sense of someone who can and will drop the gloves.

Is Ivanans the goon? Having recovered from a concussion, I have my doubts.

Archived