Paul Byron

A relatively unknown piece in the Regher trade with Buffalo, Byron has recently been generating a lot of hype as a player to watch.

Kevin Allen with USA Today calls Byron a sleeper candidate for rookie of the year.

Dobber Hockey has Byron projected as a 95% chance of making the Flames line-up. He has Byron predicted at 44-points, 2 more then Backlund, and says either Backlund or Byron will eventually win the top line spot centering Iginla and Tanguay.

Magazines like Forecastor, Hockey Poolers, and THN's Fantasy Guide don't really mention him and Hockey's Future has him projected between the second and third lines. So it isn't all rosey. Hockey Prospectus has him ranked the same as Hockey's Future.

I am not really sure what to expect from the kid. But I am excited to see what he brings to the table.

I'd expect more like 20 or 30 points from him if he makes the team. That, a plus rating, and a disproportionate number of hits.

18-hits in 8-games :lol: . Projected over 82-games that would put him at 182-hits. More then enough to lead the Calgary Flames, and in top 20 in forwards. Crazy for a guy who is 5'9" and 170 pounds. Obviously he will settle down, but a crazy stat!

I am with you on the projections. But Dobber's and Allen, combined with how much the Flames and Buffalo organizations seem to love this kid, have me intrigued. I can't remember ever seeing this kid play. Looking forward to it.

I remember seeing Byron in one game. I remember saying to myself " who is this kid?". He was all over the ice, he played with a lot of energy, and was a really quick skater.

I am really excited to see him play, is he going to be playing in Penticton?

I would not be surprised if he made the team out of camp this year.

Haha that should be the official picture for every time Byron is introduced and skates on the ice. Phaneuf got By"run" over!!!

From what I am hearing, I think anyone rating him at #1c is over-rating him a bit. I think, based on what Sabres fans have said about watching him is that he will be a solid 2/3 centre with good skill and plenty of energy. I have no issues with a player like that making the team. Since I haven't really seen much of him personally, I can't really comment. But here is hoping for the best.

Haha that should be the official picture for every time Byron is introduced and skates on the ice. Phaneuf got By"run" over!!!

I like how all the fans look incredibly bored. The game must not have been going well for the Maple Laughs (I believe it was a preseason game, but still..)

From what I am hearing, I think anyone rating him at #1c is over-rating him a bit. I think, based on what Sabres fans have said about watching him is that he will be a solid 2/3 centre with good skill and plenty of energy. I have no issues with a player like that making the team. Since I haven't really seen much of him personally, I can't really comment. But here is hoping for the best.

I have heard much the same. He sounds a bit like Nathan Gerbe (except a natural center rather than a LW and bigger and more physical).

I don't think anyone sees him as a #1 center, I think the mention of him playing on our top line reflects our lack of a #1 center as it does his abilities. That said if he comes in and plays well, his style of game could compliment Iginla and Tanguay very well.

I also can't help but wonder if his size is why no one sees him as a potential #1 center. If we were told we had a 6'3" center in the pipeline that was very skilled offensively, solid defensively, sees the ice well, has a high hockey IQ, is physical and extremely hard working we would be touting him as the next #1 center, the only difference between that player and Byron is 6" in height

I like how all the fans look incredibly bored. The game must not have been going well for the Maple Laughs (I believe it was a preseason game, but still..)

I have heard much the same. He sounds a bit like Nathan Gerbe (except a natural center rather than a LW and bigger and more physical).

Michael Peca he is not--lol. Don't be fooled by that one hit yet he will not shy away from a hit. However I have seen where when he hits guys he bounces off and ends up on the ice--lol. If he can bulk up a bit it would help his game alot.

As for the mention about him or Backlund on the top line---seeing nobody else has done that well I would suggest trying him out at least. The kid doesn't need alot of room to work and is not one of those fancy dipsy doodle players. Straight north/south with decent acceleration and goes to the net. May not be the true #1 you guys are looking for but for the time being might do just as well or better than others you have. At least the effort will be there and I think he will improve your team no matter what line he plays on. Likable kid that plays with heart.

Michael Peca he is not--lol. Don't be fooled by that one hit yet he will not shy away from a hit. However I have seen where when he hits guys he bounces off and ends up on the ice--lol. If he can bulk up a bit it would help his game alot.

of course not, but he's still more physical than Gerbe is he not?

As for the mention about him or Backlund on the top line---seeing nobody else has done that well I would suggest trying him out at least. The kid doesn't need alot of room to work and is not one of those fancy dipsy doodle players. Straight north/south with decent acceleration and goes to the net. May not be the true #1 you guys are looking for but for the time being might do just as well or better than others you have. At least the effort will be there and I think he will improve your team no matter what line he plays on. Likable kid that plays with heart.

a center with a high work ethic is one of those things that can really help Iginla and Tanguay. Probably the main reason David Moss wasn't a complete dud when he played on that line.

Dobber Hockey has Byron projected as a 95% chance of making the Flames line-up.

I don't think he will make "opening day roster" but i think he will find a way onto the line-up at some point in the season. i'm gonna reserve judgement on his abilities until i watch him play a few games.

According to http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9, we've got 15 forwards on NHL contracts. Assuming Ivanans is IR and we carry 14 forwards into opening day, this means if Byron is to make the team, he'll have to win out Leblond's necessity to play an enforcer's role on the team. I find it tough. More than likely, especially for opening day on home ice, the Flames will want to dress an enforcer and fight. Fighting on opening day is virtually a ritual now.

I don't think he will make "opening day roster" but i think he will find a way onto the line-up at some point in the season. i'm gonna reserve judgement on his abilities until i watch him play a few games.

According to http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9, we've got 15 forwards on NHL contracts. Assuming Ivanans is IR and we carry 14 forwards into opening day, this means if Byron is to make the team, he'll have to win out Leblond's necessity to play an enforcer's role on the team. I find it tough. More than likely, especially for opening day on home ice, the Flames will want to dress an enforcer and fight. Fighting on opening day is virtually a ritual now.

Paints a picture of toughness. But heck, if he's that good he could beat out Hagman, or Stajan, or Jackman, or anybody really?

How he would do, would depend on how often and where we play him. We have not had a spark plug like him on the Flames for some time. Another thing to consider is how well he does on face-offs? We have not had a good face-off guy for some time either.

I would give him a high chance of making the team, because Feaster keeps telling us he is the closest to being NHL ready.

To be honest, I've never saw him playing. From what I've read and what some of you posted here, it looks like he's a physical player with lots of speed. Sounds like it'll be exciting to see this guy playing!

In his brief appearance in the NHL his face offs were a team worst 40%. But that may get better. Unfortunately the WHL and AHL don't publish face offs.

Archived