Louis23

I actually enjoy watching Oil Change, but they really need a new intro/teaser/commercial at some point. If I have to hear that guy going, "GOGOGOGOGOGOGogogogogogo!" and Tom Renney saying "Nothing should be a surprise!" as he slams his stick on the ice one more time...

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually enjoy watching Oil Change, but they really need a new intro/teaser/commercial at some point. If I have to hear that guy going, "GOGOGOGOGOGOGogogogogogo!" and Tom Renney saying "Nothing should be a surprise!" as he slams his stick on the ice one more time...

well it better not be like that lol!  At the very least they could have the current coach be the one slamming his stick on the ice ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Lol...this is the funniest thread Ever :)

Dubnyk is Brutal...  Brutal!   I can't believe how hoodwinked the Edmonton fans are.

That's not the funny part, though.

The Funny Part is that you're actually arguing about it when it Doesn't Matter at All.

Edmonton's Hooped Either way.  We are talking about a UFA next year.

Outcomes:

1.  Dubnyk magically become a good goaltender.  Edmonton severely overpays for him (a la Sam Gagner), or loses him to free agency.

2.  Dubnyk plays slightly better going into his UFA year.  Nobody else would touch him, but Edmonton severely overpays for him, locking themselves into bad goaltending for the next 5-10 years, a wasted rebuild, and no cap space.

3.  Edmonton has an epiphany, realizes that Dubnyk sucks, and Realizes that they did the rebuild BACKWARDS.  They try to rectify the situation by either signing a UFA for way too much money and blowing their cap, or gutting their team to acquire a good goaltender through a trade.

Earth to Oilers, Goaltenders and Defencemen take longer to develop.  They are the first step of a rebuild.  And the most important components of a winning team.  By the time this is figured out, Taylor  Hall will be an old man.

I'm really NOT on a mission to bash the Oilers, it's just painfull to watch the circus up there.  I would be happy if Any Canadian team took the cup back and...Northerly brothers...it ain't gonna be you.

Even with Burke on board, I still think out own rebuild will take a little longer than we'd like. So I'm a little tentative about mocking the oilers rebuild. When I really look at it I don't see any glaring differences between where they started their rebuild and our own. Tbh, our defensive prospects are a little underwhelming. Has anyone here seen enough from our goalies to say that one of them can come close to replacing kipper? I know we'll get there faster than the oil on the fact that we have better management alone. But it's going to get really boardinging uncomfortable before we see things change for the better. We have some great peices in place now but we have a looong way to go before we can mock any other teams struggle to get back in the playoffs.

Even with Burke on board, I still think out own rebuild will take a little longer than we'd like. So I'm a little tentative about mocking the oilers rebuild. When I really look at it I don't see any glaring differences between where they started their rebuild and our own. Tbh, our defensive prospects are a little underwhelming. Has anyone here seen enough from our goalies to say that one of them can come close to replacing kipper? I know we'll get there faster than the oil on the fact that we have better management alone. But it's going to get really boardinging uncomfortable before we see things change for the better. We have some great peices in place now but we have a looong way to go before we can mock any other teams struggle to get back in the playoffs.

I think most of us resign ourselves to an extended period of suck.  At least privately.  I always have great hope that the Flames will emerge as a contender, but realistically, we are light on #1C and top 6 RW's beyond this year. 

The promising thing for me is the number of prospects we have that could break out, and the number of goalies we have in the system.  I haven't seen enough of Ramo or Berra or Ortio to know if they can win games at the NHL level.  One of those three could be the next star.

Of our defensive prospects, Ramage could be the next Gio, Wotherspoon could be the next JBow, Brodie could be the next Suter, Kanzig could be the next Chara, and Sielof could be the next Regehr.  Ok, seriously, most of those guys could get a singe instead of a home run.

Of our forward prospects, Granland, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Janko, Monanan, Poirier, and Klimchuk could all be destined for NHL top 6.  Some farther out than other, but overall a good crop.

With the Oilers, I don't see that level of prospects waiting in the wings.  All the talk of their defensive prospects, and not really any great number of forwards or G.

Comparing this year's Flames and Oilers is pointless, since we have not truly replaced Iggy, JBow and Kipper.  The Oils are bound to suffer more than  with their losses because of the hype they keep hearing about their own team.  TSN and other help them believe they are bound for glory.  They, like us, are in a tougher division this year, and will stuggle with teams like the Sharks, Kings, Nucks and Blues. Their goalie is untested as a true starter playing 50+ games.  J Shultz will have to face being a #1/2 D for an 82 game season.  Their top six will face teams hitting them constantly.  Their bottom six is, well, underwhelming.

All in all, I don't think they will move up the standings that much this year.  We probably won't either, but we are more likely to exceed expectation than the Oilers.

Itsy Bitsy Spider went up the water spout.

:P:lol:

They still need to upgrade at D & G and of that there is no doubt...

Their weaknesses at these positions will surely cause them pain

and the Itsy Bitsy Oilers will have to climb up the spout again

bowing.jpg

Thank you, and good night Calgary!  We'll be here all week.  Remember to tip your waitress!

You can also expect the Oil to sign a heavyweight scrapper...

To give the crowd something to cheer for when they go down the crapper...

bowing.jpg

Thank you, and good night Calgary!  We'll be here all week.  Remember to tip your waitress!

He means tip as in rewarding for good service in case the Edmonton readers figure he meant something similar to tipping cows. :D

He means tip as in rewarding for good service in case the Edmonton readers figure he meant something similar to tipping cows. :D

Well you can't just blame the readers or the Oils fan base for the misunderstanding of the context in which the word tipping was used...   The example and precedent for the lack of etiquette while in an establishment for the purpose of having a meal or otherwise being entertained was set by members of the team themselves...   Remember this?...   Tip?...   Hell, they didn't even pay the bill...   :lol:    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/01/03/sp-nhl-oilers-bill.html

I'm honestly not sure what to make of the Oilers.  They have a set of top 6 forwards with a great pedigree but they all generally are on the smaller side and play the same kind of game: perimeter, not much mucking in the corners, up and down the ice, puck control, etc.  Their bottom 6 wingers are horrendous.

So, you'd think that they'd be okay offensively but last year they were terrible in GF.  Their 5 on 5 play in particular was atrocious and their overall offensive numbers were somewhat veiled by a very effective power play.  It could be that some of their young guys are still coming into their own, which would be a very reasonable explanation.  Or, it could be that they are a one-trick pony and if you remove that trick from the repetoir, you might as well send the pony to the glue factory since it's essentially useless.

The Oilers D is absolutely terrible.  Their best player on defense, J.Schultz, is one of their worst defensive players.  He's also young and could improve but so far he's shown no resolve, that I've seen, to improve in his own end.

Surprisingly, Dubnyk had a very good year last season and actually won the team some games that they had no business winning.  He also had a few stinkers.  So will the real Devin Dubnyk please stand up?  In any case, his strong play masked a lot of issues that the Oilers had last year and actually made them look better than they probably were.  The Flames had the opposite problem where the goaltending actually lost them some games that they should have probably won and likely made the team look worse than it really was.

So, like I said, I don't know what to make of the Oilers.  They are still very young at all positions so they'll likely get better.  But they are a team that is constructed badly.  I'm guessing that they'll probably finish a little higher in the standings than last season but still miss the playoffs by a considerable margin.  Two to three years from now we may be in for the third Oilers rebuild (or "Oil change") in a decade.  At which point Lowe will get promoted to team Emperor, MacTavish will get fired and then two years later hired as President and TSN will do a feature on how the Oiler's are "building something special"... 

The expectation I have for the Oilers this year is to be a bubble team.  Meaning they are out of the playoffs, but they aren't high enough to draft anything spectacular.  Anything less will be a let down to their fans...again.

While I believe a guy like Ference can bring much experience and a tad more stability to their D core, he's not enough.  Nor with the addition of Perron on the front end.  However, with Nuge out and a bit of a shuffe, Perron fills a need.

Dubnyk definitely has his work cut out for him this season.  High expectations from MacT, or they may be looking to make moves in the crease.  I'd be curious to see how Dubs does with a competitive team in front of him.  Could bring his game to light.

The only thing that matters is the BOA, and I have no doubt the Flames will still bring their A game, regardless of the roster.  The sample we saw with the AHL squad sticking it to the Oilers 4-1 was priceless.  Expect more of the same.

The expectation I have for the Oilers this year is to be a bubble team.  Meaning they are out of the playoffs, but they aren't high enough to draft anything spectacular.  Anything less will be a let down to their fans...again.

While I believe a guy like Ference can bring much experience and a tad more stability to their D core, he's not enough.  Nor with the addition of Perron on the front end.  However, with Nuge out and a bit of a shuffe, Perron fills a need.

Dubnyk definitely has his work cut out for him this season.  High expectations from MacT, or they may be looking to make moves in the crease.  I'd be curious to see how Dubs does with a competitive team in front of him.  Could bring his game to light.

The only thing that matters is the BOA, and I have no doubt the Flames will still bring their A game, regardless of the roster.  The sample we saw with the AHL squad sticking it to the Oilers 4-1 was priceless.  Expect more of the same.

cant wait to bring this up during the season. the flames will run into the same problems the oilers have had over the last few years. a few talented youngsters with little nhl experience being led by questionable veterans with little talent. buckle up, youre in for a rough few years.

if this is the flames A game, then i truely feel sorry for you guys

but please dont take too long with your rebuild, i want the BOA to be relevent again.

cant wait to bring this up during the season. the flames will run into the same problems the oilers have had over the last few years. a few talented youngsters with little nhl experience being led by questionable veterans with little talent. buckle up, youre in for a rough few years.

but please dont take too long with your rebuild, i want the BOA to be relevent again.

You may want to reserve some of those sorry feelings to direct towards your own team's center and D depth positions..

It will be what holds you out of the playoffs this yr.

Outstanding potential on the wings (one of the highest potential skilled set of wingers in the league)... but no size, physical presence or defensive play down the middle. The Nuge, Gagner, Gordon, Lander?... in tough vs any top team and vs your division for that matter.

But back to the point... at least you have Calgary's group beat... but who doesn't on paper.

Anaheim: Getzlaf, Koivu, Lombardi, Stekal

Calgary: Backlund, Stajan, Galiardi, Jones

Edmonton: RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Lander

Los Angeles: Kopitar, Richards, Stoll, Lewis, Fraser

Phoenix: Riberio, Vermette, Hansel, Chipchura

Vancouver: Sedin, Kesler, Schroeder, Richardson

Oh, the irony Oillio,

Oilers fans keep loading their own roulette gun in these conversations...

You see, these vids you posted were supposed to be the result for the last 3 years, you know, because TSN and the known hockey world had the Oilers pegged for being this dangerous offensive giant to contend with.  The Oil had a great game where they blew out the Flames, and should have been the result the last 4 years...on paper.  However, the fact is that it was only accomplished after Calgary's heavy hitters were ushered out the door :lol:.

Not one person in the hockey world remembers the 8-2 blowout the Oilers dished. 

What they do remember the 4-1 shellacking the Flames kids gave to the 'Big 5'...that it was in fact an AHL squad that took down this 'giant' so to speak.  It was enough to reveal to the world just how well the Oilers rebuild is going.

I will end with a quote where you summed up the Oilers quite nicely:

If this is the flames oilers A game, then i truely feel sorry for you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSv4BZfwEdI&feature=player_detailpage

Good luck this season.  :)

Hahaha   :)

This has to be the best thread ever :)

Edmonton fans telling other teams not to....

wait for it....

Not take too long for their rebuild!!!

lol....omg.

This thread always cheers me up :)

And that they.....want the battle of of Alberta to be.... Relevant again!!!

Hahaha :)

Like in the late 80's!!!

I've also grown into an old man waiting for that.   

But FYI:    Two bad teams playing each other does not = a "battle".

The Battle of Alberta happened in the PLAYOFFS....NOT the Regular season, lol!

The Oilers rebuild has been going on for 20+ years.

The Flames rebuild starts roughly this season.

Give us 2-3 years, and we will be relevant again.

So far I've seen nothing to show that the Oilers will be relevant by then.  By all accounts, it appears they'll be "rebuilding".

I'd love it if they were, but the mismanagement is unbelievable.

well Oillio, 

I know when you read this it will grind you, no doubt, but its a reality.  The Flames AHL squad took it to the Oilers big guns again.  I told you to expect more of the same, so not really a surprise on our end. Just for memory purposes, Oilers had a 5-2 lead and the Flames kids bring it home with 4 unanswered goals.  5 if you count Horak's beautiful shootout winner for the 6-5 win. 

6-4 if we go by the rules and discount Hall's phantom goal. So I guess the Flames won in regulation, and the shootout was just for show....literally.

The sample we saw with the AHL squad sticking it to the Oilers 4-1 was priceless.  Expect more of the same.

The Battle of Alberta happened in the PLAYOFFS....NOT the Regular season, lol!

The Oilers rebuild has been going on for 20+ years.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise of your point.  The Oilers are mismanaged and have already bungled one rebuild and are well on their way to bungling another.  So, an Oiler fan mocking the Flames for their rebuild is ironic.

However...

The BOA was a real battle in both the regular season AND the playoffs.  The Flames and Oilers had some real memorable regular season battles in the 80's and early 90's.

Also, the Oilers went to the Cup finals in 2005-6.  That was only 8 seasons ago.  Sure, they've sucked it hard since but they really only admitted that they were rebuilding relatively recently.  Every season after that, except the last 2-3, they added players and made proclamations about how they were competing to win and challening for the playoffs.  It makes their situation even more laughable as a result.

well Oillio, 

I know when you read this it will grind you, no doubt, but its a reality.  The Flames AHL squad took it to the Oilers big guns again.  I told you to expect more of the same, so not really a surprise on our end. Just for memory purposes, Oilers had a 5-2 lead and the Flames kids bring it home with 4 unanswered goals.  5 if you count Horak's beautiful shootout winner for the 6-5 win. 

6-4 if we go by the rules and discount Hall's phantom goal. So I guess the Flames won in regulation, and the shootout was just for show....literally.

and our ahl squad took it to your NHL'rs in calgary, but i really couldnt care less, its pre season which means nothing. also, if we hadnt put in our echl goaltender it wouldve been an easy victory, and you know that. he couldnt stop a beach ball.

Oh, the irony Oillio,

You see, these vids you posted were supposed to be the result for the last 3 years, you know, because TSN and the known hockey world had the Oilers pegged for being this dangerous offensive giant to contend with.  The Oil had a great game where they blew out the Flames, and should have been the result the last 4 years...on paper.  However, the fact is that it was only accomplished after Calgary's heavy hitters were ushered out the door :lol:.

What they do remember the 4-1 shellacking the Flames kids gave to the 'Big 5'...that it was in fact an AHL squad that took down this 'giant' so to speak.  It was enough to reveal to the world just how well the Oilers rebuild is going.

who remembers,flames fans? cause im sure 29 other teams dont.

the oilers ahl squad beat the canucks quite handedly in the last game of the 11-12 season right before they entered the playoffs as one of the top seeds in the west, but we dont sit around bringing it up trying to make ourselves feel better than we should..

so im not sure why this matters so much to you?

Oh, the irony Oillio,

my quote was a result of a poster saying that the flames always bring their A game when they play the oilers, was just proving that in fact this is not the case. never did i say the oilers bring their A game constantly, they have a bad habit of sitting back when in control of the game. hopefully eakins can change this. i can admit my teams faults, which is something that you guys seem to have a hard time doing. but thats fine with me, just lines you guys up for bigger dissapointment once the season gets going. and just so you know, my expectations for the oilers this season are pessimistic, i'd love to be proven otherwise.

Archived