Louis23

The funny thing for me is that this was supposed to be the year of the Oiler's.  Meanwhile perennial bottom dwellers like the Islander's, Toronto, and possibly Columbus look to make the playoffs.  While Edmonton is doing their best tank job to try to get yet another 1st overall. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing for me is that this was supposed to be the year of the Oiler's.  Meanwhile perennial bottom dwellers like the Islander's, Toronto, and possibly Columbus look to make the playoffs.  While Edmonton is doing their best tank job to try to get yet another 1st overall. 

Goes farther than that. Last years bottom 7:

b3992a0dbd99790a1e3c63d524eeb67d.png?136

Columbus - 10th but only 2 points out of a playoff spot and has 1 game at hand.

Edmonton - Anyone got a spare miracle? 8 pts back with 7 game remaining.

Montreal - easily all alone in 2nd in the east.

NYI - 7th spot in east by 1 point.

Toronto - solidly in 5th spot.

Anaheim - same as Montreal easily 2nd in west.

Minnesota - presently in 7th spot in west but no gimmies there.

Only one out is Columbus but they are playing well and have that game at hand.(won 3 in a row).

To put Edmontons performance in perspective they are on pace for 78 points if this was a full 82 game season.

I expected them to at least climb to 20th overall. 

If they don't make a HUGE move in the off-season and by huge I mean move one of the young super-stars and acquire a proven NHL vet...

Teams will be looking to dump Cap, they may be able to get Big Buff out of Winnipeg or Brian Campbell out of Florida, they should even consider taking a stab at Luongo, I know it sounds crazy but the Oilers with Luo will be a force for next season. 

We all know how a good G can make the difference. The long contract of Luo should be of no concern to the Oilers due to how young they are. 

It's pretty tough to blame tambellini for his first round picks as they were pretty much the consensus best at their draft, but he's definitely earned criticism for the rest of his job.  You can't build a house by running to the lumber yard and picking up the best 2X6's, you have to get the right nails to put that framework together.  We have the 2X6's for the framework, now it's time to get the right nails and hammer it all together. The biggest problem with Oilers management as I see it is a failure to build around those picks.  He hasn't done nearly enough to address the issues with grit, strength, defensive responsibility, and biggest of all is heart.  Therein lies the problem in Edmonton.  Is he ignoring these issues, or are there still problems with attracting players to come to Edmonton?  I don't believe the latter to be the case, it looks more to me like he is expecting his new young flashy picks to carry the load.  But heck, most nights them kids can't even carry themselves, let alone the rest of the team. 

There is a severe lack of heart in Edmonton.  Most nights this team just does not show up to play, there is no "cheddar".  I've said on the OMB that these kids seem to be more concerned with their celebrity status than they are with their on ice showing.  That next big ATB commercial is about ready to film you know, better make sure my hair looks just right.  Man, there is a boatload of mirror gazing that needs to be done if this team wants to start making a bigger impact on this league. 

The players need to start realizing that it takes a lot more mental and physical investment to be competitive in this league.  The coaching staff needs to realize that it takes a lot more than just pampering and showering praise to get a team to play better.  The management needs to realize that it takes a lot more than just picking the latest new flashy forward to really build a competitive team.  Really the entire organization is riddled with shortcomings. 

It's disheartening to me, I am so sick and tired of seeing what for a long time many years ago was THE team to beat in the NHL and THE team to model yourself after, become nothing more than a gimme, an easy win.  I guess a saving grace could be that there are at least some building blocks for the future here, a competitive team can be built out of what there is in Edmonton, there just has to be a willingness for everybody to do what needs to be done.  Sadly right now that will just is not there.

Exactly. I dont' blame him at al for the number one's in each case I think Edmonton took the right player but outside of that he has done a horrible job as GM of the Oilers and it's funny that Feaster takes alot of heat from Oiler fans when in reality their GM is probably just as bad if not worse.

Exactly. I dont' blame him at al for the number one's in each case I think Edmonton took the right player but outside of that he has done a horrible job as GM of the Oilers and it's funny that Feaster takes alot of heat from Oiler fans when in reality their GM is probably just as bad if not worse.

I believe that is a case of misery wants company. It would justify what they are going through and justify what they have been preaching in that it is "the only way" to go.

You see that thinking spread throughout this thread. Lots of posters want to see the Flames bottom out and go through the same long, drawn out, scorched earth rebuild for a number of reasons. Those reasons don't include them wanting to see the Flames succeed and bounce back quickly with our retooling.

It's pretty tough to blame tambellini for his first round picks as they were pretty much the consensus best at their draft, but he's definitely earned criticism for the rest of his job.

I don't think the Oilers have drafted very well.  Where are the 3rd to 5th round picks that usually turn out the best NHL grinders?   This is severely missing.

If they don't make a HUGE move in the off-season and by huge I mean move one of the young super-stars and acquire a proven NHL vet...

The Oilers should do a lot of things but in my opinion, the last thing they should do is panic.  Trading one of their young stars is a panic move.

Instead, buyout Horcoff with the amnesty option and trade Hemsky.  Just go with Gagner and RNH for 1st/2nd Centers. Do not bring back Whitney. He's a huge bust. Bring up Hartikainen on a full time basis.  Trade Paajarvi, there's just no room on the roster for someone who is developing so slowly.  He's got huge potential but it just isn't working in Edmonton with limited ice time.  With all that done, you've got nearly $10-mil to overpay for a veteran superstar who can come in and command the locker room.

I don't think the Oilers have drafted very well.  Where are the 3rd to 5th round picks that usually turn out the best NHL grinders?   This is severely missing.

The Oilers should do a lot of things but in my opinion, the last thing they should do is panic.  Trading one of their young stars is a panic move.

Instead, buyout Horcoff with the amnesty option and trade Hemsky.  Just go with Gagner and RNH for 1st/2nd Centers. Do not bring back Whitney. He's a huge bust. Bring up Hartikainen on a full time basis.  Trade Paajarvi, there's just no room on the roster for someone who is developing so slowly.  He's got huge potential but it just isn't working in Edmonton with limited ice time.  With all that done, you've got nearly $10-mil to overpay for a veteran superstar who can come in and command the locker room.

The kiddies won't like Old Man River coming in and telling them what to do.

I agree, they need some vets that offer a solid presence, not just one.  I firmly believe that's why so many Oilers fans want Glencross back. 

I'd move one of the young stars and it isn't a panic move at all.

I'd move one of them for several strong players in return. Not superstars but strong proven players. One of RNH, Hall, Nail, Eberle could have the Oilers acquire not one but several strong depth players. A proven top 4 D and proven strong two-way C.

They are terribly unbalanced at the moment and those 4 are trade gold. They could wrangle a big trade to balance out their team. As I said a legitimate big top 6 forward with two-way skills -  a Steve Ott or Dustin Brown type, plus a strong top 2 D not uber elite but definitely proven and reliable. Jbo would have been perfect for them. Extremely consistent and strong in defensive minutes and consistently able to line up against the NHL's elite. 

I would be seriously in on Luo if I was Edmonton. Top 10 G are very, very rarely available. They are buying low on Luo if they get him. Everyone knows he is available and with the dumping of Bulin this year they could add that contract. 

The Canucks are definitely where a deal could be found. The Oil could hit with a big trade. Eberle + another player for Luo, Kesler and one of their top 4 D, all of which are good. 

In one move the Oilers could theoretically address all of their weakness from two-way C, to elite G and legit top 4 D in the right trade with Vancouver who will be looking to drop Cap. Eberle would immediately be that elite winger to play with the Sendins. 

Buying out Horcoff, is a no brainer at this point - I seriously think the Oilers need that big risk trade this off-season, one that will shake up that young immature room and address all imbalance on that roster...

I don't think it is going to happen though because I honestly don't think Tamblowe know how to make a big risk trade. 

The kiddies won't like Old Man River coming in and telling them what to do.

I agree, they need some vets that offer a solid presence, not just one.  I firmly believe that's why so many Oilers fans want Glencross back. 

I think what the Oilers need is a veteran coach who demands the respect of his players.  Someone like a Hitchcock, Quenville, Sutter, or something to that order.  They need someone to come in and teach them right.

Right now they are pampered celebrities.

I'd move one of the young stars and it isn't a panic move at all.

I'd move one of them for several strong players in return. Not superstars but strong proven players. One of RNH, Hall, Nail, Eberle could have the Oilers acquire not one but several strong depth players. A proven top 4 D and proven strong two-way C.

They are terribly unbalanced at the moment and those 4 are trade gold. They could wrangle a big trade to balance out their team. As I said a legitimate big top 6 forward with two-way skills -  a Steve Ott or Dustin Brown type, plus a strong top 2 D not uber elite but definitely proven and reliable. Jbo would have been perfect for them. Extremely consistent and strong in defensive minutes and consistently able to line up against the NHL's elite. 

I would be seriously in on Luo if I was Edmonton. Top 10 G are very, very rarely available. They are buying low on Luo if they get him. Everyone knows he is available and with the dumping of Bulin this year they could add that contract. 

The Canucks are definitely where a deal could be found. The Oil could hit with a big trade. Eberle + another player for Luo, Kesler and one of their top 4 D, all of which are good. 

In one move the Oilers could theoretically address all of their weakness from two-way C, to elite G and legit top 4 D in the right trade with Vancouver who will be looking to drop Cap. Eberle would immediately be that elite winger to play with the Sendins. 

Buying out Horcoff, is a no brainer at this point - I seriously think the Oilers need that big risk trade this off-season, one that will shake up that young immature room and address all imbalance on that roster...

I don't think it is going to happen though because I honestly don't think Tamblowe know how to make a big risk trade. 

What's unbalanced?  Hall is LW, RNH is C, Eberle is RW, Yakupov is a winger.

They need muscle with the other lines so move Hemsky, Horcoff, and Paarjvi.

well tambellini was fired this morning so we;ll see a new team next year 

Pretty much had to happen at this point.  Gonna be interesting to see how the summer goes... wonder if they'll move some of the young'uns, try to balance things out a bit better.

Bush calling the tree green?  I don't believe this is the case in Edmonton.  I don't believe it is the case anywhere, including Calgary to be honest.  They have a bunch of young kids that can score, but they have nobody that can score AND hit.  Watch them play, they are beaten along the boards, crossing the blue line, and down low in their own end.  They physically cannot compete, and that IMO is where Tambellini failed.

Pretty much had to happen at this point.  Gonna be interesting to see how the summer goes... wonder if they'll move some of the young'uns, try to balance things out a bit better.

MacTavish said in the presser that that is a possibility, but it is the remotest of the remote possibilities.  I think he meant that unless the world comes back his way, Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov, and Schultz are staying.

I think what the Oilers need is a veteran coach who demands the respect of his players.  Someone like a Hitchcock, Quenville, Sutter, or something to that order.  They need someone to come in and teach them right.

Right now they are pampered celebrities.

What's unbalanced?  Hall is LW, RNH is C, Eberle is RW, Yakupov is a winger.

They need muscle with the other lines so move Hemsky, Horcoff, and Paarjvi.

Everything you've said here is what I've been preaching all year long.  In fact I've used the exact words "pampered celebrities" several times too.   They need muscle, grit, sandpaper or whatever the "in" term is nowadays, and they need their coach to stop being a bunny rabbit and slide a little ways towards wolverine.

Damn, Connor didn't get his resume in fast enough… I was pulling for Connor to get his dream job.

I'm not one to be celebrating wins at this point in the season for the Flames but it feels good to know that yesterday's win against the Oilers might have been the last straw that got the Oiler's GM fired. That feels awesome, especially after they roasted us 8-2 a week earlier.  Total revenge.

I'm not one to be celebrating wins at this point in the season for the Flames but it feels good to know that yesterday's win against the Oilers might have been the last straw that got the Oiler's GM fired. That feels awesome, especially after they roasted us 8-2 a week earlier.  Total revenge.

There might just be a good thing that comes out of both of those roastings...  a new era of the BOA!  Who here doesn't miss the glory days? :lol:

There might just be a good thing that comes out of both of those roastings...  a new era of the BOA!  Who here doesn't miss the glory days? :lol:

Those were the days.

What's with the Oilers recycling old news?  MacT was fired as head coach, brought in as VP of Hockey Ops, and now he's GM.  Krueger was the clown Renney's assistant coach, and somehow he's the head coach.  Usually if the head coach goes, so does most his staff.  Head scratcher.

It's good Tambs is gone, but why replace him with MacT?  Isn't that more of a step to the right instead of a step in the right direction?

it feels good to know that yesterday's win against the Oilers might have been the last straw that got the Oiler's GM fired. That feels awesome, especially after they roasted us 8-2 a week earlier.  Total revenge.

c338d7d9be9a40a8cafbb6bfb1ecaa87.png?136

Those were the days.

What's with the Oilers recycling old news?  MacT was fired as head coach, brought in as VP of Hockey Ops, and now he's GM.  Krueger was the clown Renney's assistant coach, and somehow he's the head coach.  Usually if the head coach goes, so does most his staff.  Head scratcher.

It's good Tambs is gone, but why replace him with MacT?  Isn't that more of a step to the right instead of a step in the right direction?

Technically speaking, MacT "stepped down" as coach... but yea he was fired.  ;)

We didn't just use the term "Old Boys Club", we invented it :lol:

Technically speaking, MacT "stepped down" as coach... but yea he was fired.  ;)

We didn't just use the term "Old Boys Club", we invented it :lol:

LOL. :lol:

Well at least the Oilers have something going for them...MacTavish was the last player in the NHL not to wear a helmet...

xql104.jpg

Those were the days.

I think they are recycling more than MacT. Wasn't Scott Howson also an Oiler retread before his time in Columbus?

TSN Article

MacTavish, who stepped down as head coach of the Oilers four years ago to the day, was named the new general manager while former Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson will take over MacTavish's role as senior vice president of hockey operations.

Archived