Louis23

haha no harm no foul jjgalow, it's all good. I was upset because of the loss, it was a game that Edmonton while missing several key players still played good enough to win and very well could have if not for some unfortunate events. I'm over it now, it's not like my team hasn't lost a game or two before :lol: and besides, for the time being it's nice to see an Oilers logo actually above a Flames logo in the NHL standings ;). I think the management has done little to improve the team defensively and physically, and 3rd and 4th lines are just plain not good enough. They are a group of small skilled forwards that will for the time being be easy to beat because they cannot outmuscle their opposition. We are going to get beat in the offensive zone because we aren't strong enough, and going to get beat in the defensive zone because we aren't good enough. There is more to building a competitive hockey team than getting high draft picks and selecting the obvious. There seems to be an unwillingness or lack of ability to see areas of play that need to improve and address them.

wow, an incredibly honest assessment of your team. I think there are moves they could make to rapidly move up in the standings. I'm not entirely sure why those moves aren't made, but even if they were, their age distribution will make retaining everyone under the cap challenging.

I guess we'll see. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. If the cup can't be in Calgary, I'd want it to be in Edmonton.

But since I don't see that with the current organization and ownership, I'll continue having my fun with them for those brief moments they're above us in the standings :)

And afterwards, I'll back off a bit. At some point, the Oilers fans themselves will take over for me

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Size... and an abilty with win some board battles.

Too many times the Oilers would look great gaining the zone and getting a chance and shot... puck would get into the corner wings win it and clear.

They have a problem (well mainly noticed Eberle) not stopping on the the puck to battle.. they'll be skating, miss a puck as a puck gets disrupted, but instead of working to stop and turn towards the puck for the ensuing battle, they go for a skate hoping/expecting teammates to rotate down for the puck battle...

like a .. 'awe man, i'm skating too fast to hit the brakes'... Life looked easy for the Det D.

Coaches HATE that.. and it's a problem with their best players.

Of course you guys are going look like you have no energy players when they play to conserve it... and not work.

Its the same ol' culture.... they need a couple of Gary Roberts type of players to exemplify and instill a work ethic.

But that's just primarily based on what i saw today. maybe it was an off day.

because i'll be honest that i didn't notice it in previous gms i've seen of them... but i wasn't really forcused on watching the Oiler team as analytically before like i was today... focuse on the Canucks... and then Benn and Jagr in the Dallas game.. and the Cal-Edm game was just a background gm.

You tell me.. is it the norm?

Somewhat agree. I think it's more that Krueger wants the player that should be in that area of the ice to do the work for the puck.

I do agree the Oilers need more players that do the work in what it takes to win those tight games.

So the season determining 9 game road trip is coming up starting on the 25th.

5 home games till then.

They really need to make some hay in their next 5.

We had a thread on this exact same scenario last yr in the "Are the Oilers for real" thread... The turning point of that discussion was the Oiler road game stretch which quickly buried that notion.

(From Nov 1st - Dec 31st: 4-12 on the road)

I think this road trip is massively important in the same vein... this 9 gamer will be the determining factor as to whether the Oilers are a 8-11 type team or a 13-15 type team this yr. If they can can survive and play 500... they would be set up with a pretty favorable home schedule to try to take advantage of.

No need for a separate thread.. but their 9 gm road trip should make for a pretty good sub-topic within this topic...

Reason for the 9 gamer: Tim Hortons Brier

Edit - just heard Whitney AND Smyth have been made healthy scratches for the next game...

Feb. 19th is not that far away... :lol:

yakupovcartyversion_zps30c7cc04.jpg

This game is in Edmonton so the Mac Truck thing my not happen. Sutters and the Kings will not forget though, so it may happen this game or the next time the Oilers head to LA(Apr 6).

Size... and an abilty with win some board battles.

Too many times the Oilers would look great gaining the zone and getting a chance and shot... puck would get into the corner wings win it and clear.

They have a problem (well mainly noticed Eberle) not stopping on the the puck to battle.. they'll be skating, miss a puck as a puck gets disrupted, but instead of working to stop and turn towards the puck for the ensuing battle, they go for a skate hoping/expecting teammates to rotate down for the puck battle...

like a .. 'awe man, i'm skating too fast to hit the brakes'... Life looked easy for the Det D.

Coaches HATE that.. and it's a problem with their best players.

Of course you guys are going look like you have no energy players when they play to conserve it... and not work.

Its the same ol' culture.... they need a couple of Gary Roberts type of players to exemplify and instill a work ethic.

But that's just primarily based on what i saw today. maybe it was an off day.

because i'll be honest that i didn't notice it in previous gms i've seen of them... but i wasn't really forcused on watching the Oiler team as analytically before like i was today... focuse on the Canucks... and then Benn and Jagr in the Dallas game.. and the Cal-Edm game was just a background gm.

You tell me.. is it the norm?

I said the same thing awhile back. page 71 Post 1404 this thread.

9c41da26e7201c14dc1120b2eeb980e6.png?1360702985

Add to that I really don't like the Oilers April Sched. at all.

As I watch the Flames pour 6 goals in 40 minutes into a somewhat tired Stars team tonight (yes there is no Lehtonen but the Flames are doing what the Oilers should have done last night - crowd the goal and pass sooner amongst other things), meanwhile I thought that would compare schedules as the Flames get off easy tonight.

Back to Back games (also 3 games in 4 nights): Oilers 8 Flames 9 equally distributed between home and away - nothing to choose

Killer road trips: Easy to point to the Oilers 9 game/17 day trip while people throw rocks at each other, but they also have a 4 game/6 night trip and they have already completed a 3 game/4 night trip. Calgary's toughtest trip is a 4 game/6 nighter followed by two 3 game/4 nighters. They also have two other 3 game trip each spread over 5 nights. Advantage Calgary.

Opposition playing the second of back to backs: This is easily the most telling of the three comparisons.

Oilers 5: 3 Away (Chicago/St. Louis/Anaheim) 2 Home (Calgary/Minnesota)

Flames 11: 1 Away (Chicago) 10 Home (Colorado/Chicago/Dallas/LA/Phoenix/Vancouver/San Jose/Nashville/St. Louis/Colorado)

Huge advantage Flames. The Stars tonight were a good example.

Perhaps it's because Rexall Place is booked so much whereas the ScotiaBank Horse Diaper isn't that allows such a favourable schedule. The lockout royally screwed the ability to book and this year the team's separate schedules may well decides who gets to the playoffs and who doesn't.

In other words, if the Flames can't make the playoffs with such a comparatively soft schedule, they should blow up the team. The Oilers road is made tougher due to the schedule.

I agree with the point about competition playing back to backs.

Back to back won't be near as important to results as injuries.

Anyway, more useless and wasted time put into that whole post. I've seen better thinking come from your city council than what was put into the above.

Edit:

Oh no.. We have 7 back to back games left to play and the Oilers only have 5. They should blow up their team if they can't make the playoffs with their obviously much easier schedule.

/sarcasim off

Gotta say that none of this is some sort of mid-season surprise. Everything was laid out and the schedules were known prior to the season beginning... i.e. the discussions about the Brier etc..(was that here?), comparisons on the back-to-backs and who plays who on the 2nd night, etc...

Oil fan were still expecting a playoff contending team and a team to be higher than Calgary in the standings with the schedule as it is. As a new/recent post, its screams of 'poor us, this is our excuse now'...

People compared the schedules pre season and saw the differences... but they choose to ignore as a factor because it suited their desire to make the predictions they wanted of Oil>Flames. So now that it appears to be unraveling a bit for the Oilers as their good start has been wiped out... it now suits their need to use the schedule as an excuse.

And by the way... i think i recall Vancouver having the best schedule of the 3 where they face the greater amount of teams on the back end of their back to backs after playing one of you guys. Knew that before the season started. But they'll hear about after every time the scenario comes up as the reason the canucks are winning. What can ya do.

But the funniest part is you choosing to quote that and bring it here because it obviously represents how you feel.. Excuse.

So when do the Oiler posts about another fail being part of the master plan start?

& will they be about targeting MacKinnon to fill out that superstar ( :D ) roster? Maybe they might target Jones. Connor, what's your preference?

Now FF, that is a totally unfair question to be asking Conner with no notice.

Here you go Conner a quick rundown on both:

41d7edfccaebe6cac50b5bde6dcc28e5.png?1360869664

90f2ed23e00a1ec34670879101623728.png?1360869855

586f6fa18665268c35453896c7d9c134.png?1360869906

So when do the Oiler posts about another fail being part of the master plan start?

& will they be about targeting MacKinnon to fill out that superstar ( :D ) roster? Maybe they might target Jones. Connor, what's your preference?

Oh man... i would almost love to see the Oilers win the lottery from whatever seed they end up in just to see the hockey world freaking implode!

See them draft Jones. and then sit back and watch their management feebly attempt to fill the roster by overpaying tier 3 UFAs to fill the gaps.

Seriously feel bad for Oiler fan... as much as they try to downplay it, they are are victim of their geography and management.

Here they have a prime crop of prospects, but will be unable to surround them with willing talent until they start winning... can't start winning until prospects develop. When prospects begin maturing, their 2nd contracts are due and there goes the cap space for significant difference making pieces. So they have to settle on tier 2-3 UFA's (or 4th 5th if you look at Eager and Hordi).

So what's the plan? If they land another top dog in this draft.. the plan has to development from within for another yr or 2, and then a blockbuster trade if the recruiting continues to be an issue.

Now FF, that is a totally unfair question to be asking Conner with no notice.

Here you go Conner a quick rundown on both:

41d7edfccaebe6cac50b5bde6dcc28e5.png?1360869664

90f2ed23e00a1ec34670879101623728.png?1360869855

586f6fa18665268c35453896c7d9c134.png?1360869906

I don't see any possible way that Tambellini could resist drafting a young top 6 forward with his 1st pick...Organizational need DEFENCE and SIZE...I predict McKinnon will be an Oiler to start the 2013/14 season...

Thanks for bringing that post over to our boards Conner.

It warms my heart to see some Oiler Fans in full panic mode already looking for new excuses. It appears to me this is because of the Oilers headed down the standings, and now being out of playoff contention.

Excuses? No. It's just a fact. Flamers usually get teams on the tail end of a back to back who started against us. It's Bettman's way of supporting your owner and his weak hockey team.

Gotta say that none of this is some sort of mid-season surprise. Everything was laid out and the schedules were known prior to the season beginning... i.e. the discussions about the Brier etc..(was that here?), comparisons on the back-to-backs and who plays who on the 2nd night, etc...

Oil fan were still expecting a playoff contending team and a team to be higher than Calgary in the standings with the schedule as it is. As a new/recent post, its screams of 'poor us, this is our excuse now'...

People compared the schedules pre season and saw the differences... but they choose to ignore as a factor because it suited their desire to make the predictions they wanted of Oil>Flames. So now that it appears to be unraveling a bit for the Oilers as their good start has been wiped out... it now suits their need to use the schedule as an excuse.

And by the way... i think i recall Vancouver having the best schedule of the 3 where they face the greater amount of teams on the back end of their back to backs after playing one of you guys. Knew that before the season started. But they'll hear about after every time the scenario comes up as the reason the canucks are winning. What can ya do.

But the funniest part is you choosing to quote that and bring it here because it obviously represents how you feel.. Excuse.

I think playing a team on the end of a back to back, especially a team on the road is a f'n huge advantage. Yeah, I agree with that sentiment. I didn't see that before. I saw the 9 game road trip and figure and still do figure if the Oilers are .500 at the end of that road trip they still got a good shot at the post season with the majority of their games being at home.

Oh man... i would almost love to see the Oilers win the lottery from whatever seed they end up in just to see the hockey world freaking implode!

See them draft Jones. and then sit back and watch their management feebly attempt to fill the roster by overpaying tier 3 UFAs to fill the gaps.

Seriously feel bad for Oiler fan... as much as they try to downplay it, they are are victim of their geography and management.

Here they have a prime crop of prospects, but will be unable to surround them with willing talent until they start winning... can't start winning until prospects develop. When prospects begin maturing, their 2nd contracts are due and there goes the cap space for significant difference making pieces. So they have to settle on tier 2-3 UFA's (or 4th 5th if you look at Eager and Hordi).

So what's the plan? If they land another top dog in this draft.. the plan has to development from within for another yr or 2, and then a blockbuster trade if the recruiting continues to be an issue.

Please. Noboddy wanted to go to Vanouver before they started winning. Players still probably still don't want to be a Canuck with their bitting, diving, rioting, never winning history.

Excuses? No. It's just a fact. Flamers usually get teams on the tail end of a back to back who started against us. It's Bettman's way of supporting your owner and his weak hockey team.

Yeah, Gary personally does the schedule so that the Flames get a break compared to the Oilers.:rolleyes:

Also, the refs conspire to give the Oilers PPs in OT.;)

Please. Noboddy wanted to go to Vanouver before they started winning.

exactly.

Which was my point.

Players still probably still don't want to be a Canuck with their bitting, diving, rioting, never winning history.

Speculation.

And which is it again... in line 1 - they started winning. in line 2 - never winning.

Here's a little something from scouting Oilers vs Flames:

Mark Jankowski DOB 09/13/94 Centre 6'3 175 lbs Shoots Left Playing at Providence College Drafted 21st overall at 2012 draft

GP 23 G 5 A 7 PTS 12 PIM 8 +/- 0

Jujhar Khaira DOB 08/13/94 Centre 6'3 195 lbs Shoots Left Playing at Michigan Tech Drafted 63rd overall at 2012 draft

GP 28 G 5 A 14 PTS 19 PIM 45 +/- 0

I really liked this pick the Oilers took and IMO he is very comparable to Jankowski but taken over 40 spots later.

Here's a little something from scouting Oilers vs Flames:

Mark Jankowski DOB 09/13/94 Centre 6'3 175 lbs Shoots Left Playing at Providence College Drafted 21st overall at 2012 draft

GP 23 G 5 A 7 PTS 12 PIM 8 +/- 0

Jujhar Khaira DOB 08/13/94 Centre 6'3 195 lbs Shoots Left Playing at Michigan Tech Drafted 63rd overall at 2012 draft

GP 28 G 5 A 14 PTS 19 PIM 45 +/- 0

I really liked this pick the Oilers took and IMO he is very comparable to Jankowski but taken over 40 spots later.

Sorry Flames fans.. I'm cheering HARD for Khaira to rip it up and become a NHL star...

Local boy from here in Surrey. We were all absolutely crushed to see who drafted him... but after a little hesitation and nausea, we are all still behind the kid.

Our best hope is he get traded to - anywhere out of Alberta. anywhere. doesn't matter. just somewhere.

Hoping to god he's one of those prospects that gets thrown into a package where Edm tries to bring in a defensive stud.

Please. if there is a god.. please be listening. Trade the brown guy Tamby... thrown him in.

Sorry Flames fans.. I'm cheering HARD for Khaira to rip it up and become a NHL star...

Local boy from here in Surrey. We were all absolutely crushed to see who drafted him... but after a little hesitation and nausea, we are all still behind the kid.

Our best hope is he get traded to - anywhere out of Alberta. anywhere. doesn't matter. just somewhere.

Hoping to god he's one of those prospects that gets thrown into a package where Edm tries to bring in a defensive stud.

Please. if there is a god.. please be listening. Trade the brown guy Tamby... thrown him in.

No way Oilers trade him.

Oilers were on a quest last draft to get the next Lucic. Not only is Khaira by far doing the best of the "coke machine" picks, he was also moved from the wing to centre.

A powerforward centre with size and aggression and offence. Oilers are going to let this one marinate in college. IMO he is the by far the Oilers second best pick in that draft.

The awesome thing about him is he was too small to make the CHL. He was 5'8 and 140. He went through a big growth spurt and now he's huge.

No way Oilers trade him.

Oilers were on a quest last draft to get the next Lucic. Not only is Khaira by far doing the best of the "coke machine" picks, he was also moved from the wing to centre.

A powerforward centre with size and aggression and offence. Oilers are going to let this one marinate in college. IMO he is the by far the Oilers second best pick in that draft.

The awesome thing about him is he was too small to make the CHL. He was 5'8 and 140. He went through a big growth spurt and now he's huge.

oh i know...

But I hold out hope that RNH and Gagne make him expendable. If he's able to realize his potential i'm hoping, if he isn't traded, he does his 3 or 4 yrs in college, signs short term contacts till he hits UFA status an is outta there... best case scenario.

oh i know...

But I hold out hope that RNH and Gagne make him expendable. If he's able to realize his potential i'm hoping, if he isn't traded, he does his 3 or 4 yrs in college, signs short term contacts till he hits UFA status an is outta there... best case scenario.

Or he could pull a Justin Schultz. :lol:

Archived