Louis23

I said it in chat during the game, but I'll say it again here. How do you think the Oilers would fair against the playoff ready Kings of last year? They are too soft on the puck and nowhere near physical enough. When those skilled players grow a bit more they will be a tough team to compete with, but until then I don't see them as a real threat for the cup.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you just copy this post from November last season?

He's planning what to wear to the parade Bud. At 3-2 after 5 games (1 a SO win, 1 OT & 1 true win) they'll take the SC without breaking a sweat.

They have such a commanding lead over the other division teams they can't lose. :lol:

***********************************************************************************************************

Ignore SJ & Chicago. They don't have the 1/1s to keep up their pace.

Guess who's in the division lead.

You are going to need and should have a much bigger lead than this. Oilers have yet to win 2 games in a row this season and you have only played one top team(top team = playing well - SJ)

You have a brutal 9 game road trip starting near the end of Feb.

I don't like the looks of your April schedule or opponents.

Guess who cant score an even strength goal if their lives depended on it? Oh and Im sure you wont have to play a team like the Sharks in the playoffs, if you even get there.

Nice pickup. What is it all of 2 5vs5 goals this year?

Edit: I was wrong they actually have 4 even strength 5 on 5 goals and are 29th place in league.

The powerplay is going to be the strength of the Oilers this year. RNH and Yakupov are only teenagers, Schultz is a rookie. If the Oilers are to make the playoffs it will be special teams pulling the sleigh.

If it's only conference play, a .500 team should be able to make the playoffs depending on how many games go to OT.

The powerplay is going to be the strength of the Oilers this year. RNH and Yakupov are only teenagers, Schultz is a rookie. If the Oilers are to make the playoffs it will be special teams pulling the sleigh.

If it's only conference play, a .500 team should be able to make the playoffs depending on how many games go to OT.

no they won't

the number of ties is pretty consistent from year to year. Middle of the pack (8th) will require about 55 pts

no they won't

the number of ties is pretty consistent from year to year. Middle of the pack (8th) will require about 55 pts

It depends on the separation/disparity of the 8 playoff teams and the non playoff teams.

If there is even distribution, a .500 team should make it with 8 playoff spots and 15 teams. The western teams can't be picking up points against the weaker eastern teams this season.

It depends on the separation/disparity of the 8 playoff teams and the non playoff teams.

If there is even distribution, a .500 team should make it with 8 playoff spots and 15 teams. The western teams can't be picking up points against the weaker eastern teams this season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=XVW

Your Oilers were not among the west teams with winning records against the other western teams.

Columbus 23-37-4

Colorado 28-31-5

Edmonton 24-33-7

Anaheim 26-30-8

Your Oilers had a winning record against the east which you won't get the benefit from playing this season. No matter how you try to slice it Conner the Oilers are worse off this year than last year because they play all their games against the teams they struggle the most against.

There is of course a small chance that there are a few very dominant teams, leaving the middle of the pack lower than typical, but that is a low probability.

If you want to make a bet on .500 making the playoffs, I'll take the over for anything you want to wager

the Oilers had a powerhouse PP last yr as well... and they finished where they finished.

So history says they'll require substantially more helping to pull that sleigh.

In terms on the record required to make the playoffs...

The average pt distribution post lockout has been about a 0.570 pt %.

There is no external pts being part of the equation (eastern gms)...

So based on that the medium teams will have around 0.570 pt%.. the median team being the 8th seed.

Any variation to that median could be caused by 2 things..

1 - a couple of powerhouses way ahead of the curve

2 - a couple real dogs that give away points

If #1 occurs: The median team will likely be lower than 0.570.

If #2 occurs: The median team will likely be higher than 0.570.

If both #1 and #2 occurs... well that's balance, the median is likely to be around 0.570...

Currently, the the state of the West is:

42 games (at time of posting evening schedule not completed), 11 bonus pts: 26.2% of them.

95 pts handed out over 42 games = 0.565

0.565 is the western average at the moment. It should increase slightly as the season moves on and the games get tighter... so the historical 0.570ish seems on par fo rthis yr as well..

So if you are being conservative, bank on the 8th seed being in around 55 pts.

(present rate: 54 pts)

You aren't accounting for bonus pts.

even distribution without bonus pts is 0.500 at the median (8th seed)..

I point out above what you should really except. There is really little variance from yr-to-yr.. will be even less variance from the norm in a shortened season.

Hey Connor... Here's the post i made back in 2010... can't find it since the search doesn't go back far enough... but it does on the other forum i post on...

Based on the first 5 seasons of the post lockout era....

0.561 is the new 0.500.

---------------------

I ran the numbers to find out.

Since the lockout...

05-06 - 2741 pts - 91.37 pts/team

06-07 - 2741 pts - 91.37 pts/team

07-08 - 2732 pts - 91.07 pts/team

08-09 - 2742 pts - 91.40 pts/team

09-10 - 2761 pts - 92.03 pts/team

Last yr was the obvious anomaly with about 20 more games going to OT than the prior 4 seasons... other wise with the huge sample size of games, the numbers have been amazingly consistent.

6150 games - 13,717 pts = 2.23 pts handed out per game instead of the ol'fashioned 2.

"500" hockey now is to scoop up 1.115 pts per game, not 1.

Or to be on pace for 91.47 pt season to be average... not 82.

That equates to a Point percentage of..... 0.561. The new 500.

When someone references a NHL team being 500... that is definitely a below par performing team.

====================

So to update it...

05-06 - 2741 pts - 91.37 pts/team

06-07 - 2741 pts - 91.37 pts/team

07-08 - 2732 pts - 91.07 pts/team

08-09 - 2742 pts - 91.40 pts/team

09-10 - 2761 pts - 92.03 pts/team

10-11 - 2757 pts - 91.90 pts/team

11-12 - 2760 pts - 92.00 pts/team

Overall in the post lockout era = 91.56 pts/team

Over the last 3 yrs = 91.98 pts/team

So basically a 92 pt pace = 0.561 pace

.500 with OT/SO counting as a loss.

If the Oilers go 20-20-8 that won't be good enough but 24-20-4 should get you in if not right at the doorstep.

True enough, and that is only fair...

Because the Eastern teams can't be picking up points against the Oilers this season either...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=XVW

Your Oilers were not among the west teams with winning records against the other western teams.

Columbus 23-37-4

Colorado 28-31-5

Edmonton 24-33-7

Anaheim 26-30-8

Your Oilers had a winning record against the east which you won't get the benefit from playing this season. No matter how you try to slice it Conner the Oilers are worse off this year than last year because they play all their games against the teams they struggle the most against.

Ha

Ha

OK Sherlock... As usual you have failed to read something first before making a comment...

As for what I posted, it was in reference to this season... Read it again... ;)

For the record... What Deeds said was true, The Oilers were 8-7-3 vs the East last season, and that was good enough to bump them up to 29th spot ahead of Columbus...

OK Sherlock... As usual you have failed to read something first before making a comment...

As for what I posted, it was in reference to this season... Read it again... ;)

For the record... What Deeds said was true, The Oilers were 8-7-3 vs the East last season, and that was good enough to bump them up to 29th spot ahead of Columbus...

Whatever, that's the latest comparison.

Nail really rubs me the wrong way. I am glad for the Oilers win tonight, but there are good winners and poor winners. This kid is a very poor winner. His on-ice antics aren't quality, and it reflects his attitude towards the rest of the league and NHL'ers alike. Show some well done steaking respect.

Nail really rubs me the wrong way. I am glad for the Oilers win tonight, but there are good winners and poor winners. This kid is a very poor winner. His on-ice antics aren't quality, and it reflects his attitude towards the rest of the league and NHL'ers alike. Show some well done steaking respect.

I can see how if he's not on your team you hate him but if he is you love him.

He's a very exuberant guy but thing is he's also a rink rat. He goes just as hard during practice and he spends as much time as he can on the ice.

He's a very exuberant guy but thing is he's also a rink rat. He goes just as hard during practice and he spends as much time as he can on the ice.

I never said hate. I don't hate anyone. I dislike the "spirit fingers" behind the net after the goal, shoving them in the coyotes face as if calling on the whole opposite team and the arena saying "bring it, I'm the sh*t." The kid is 18, and a rook. No wonder Doan and the rest of the squad looked visibly upset. Like I said, Dubs played an incredible game and I give props to the rest of the team for holding on to the win.

When you look at class acts like the Iginlas, Selannes, Jagrs, Lidstroms(recently retired), Datsyuks, and most of the etiquette from the rest of the league, it shows you Nail will have to travel twice as far to reach that sort of status. Becoming the league's next c0ck at only 18 years of age won't bode well for his rep on the ice and will will eventually creep into the dressing room. Just look at Dion Phaneuf. Many Flames fans considered him a cancer while he was here.

The last couple goals haven't shown much for Nail's character, and the need for the spotlight. Forfeiting any sense of team certainly won't help his "bigger than the world" 18 year old ego.

Please tell me you arent basing this off of last nights game winner.

The way he and Hall were hugging while a teammate was been fed right crosses was pretty telling about the makeup of the team.

They have a very, very long way to go before they are in a position to win anything meaningful - like a playoff game - in this league.

Archived