Louis23

You conveniently omit the fact the Oilers are 1 of the few teams that could send their core to the AHL but are not exactly setting the league on fire while facing the few eligible youngsters on other teams & cores of career minor league players.

The previous stoppage showed us that many older players used the time to recharge & come back strong. Selanne & Lidstrom are just 2 examples.

The patina on your glasses probably needs to be scraped down a bit as it seems to be obscuring your vision. :)

I think it has gone past the stage of just being patina on his glasses messing with his FutureGM vision... At this point, it's more like rust... :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You conveniently omit the fact the Oilers are 1 of the few teams that could send their core to the AHL but are not exactly setting the league on fire while facing the few eligible youngsters on other teams & cores of career minor league players.

The previous stoppage showed us that many older players used the time to recharge & come back strong. Selanne & Lidstrom are just 2 examples.

The patina on your glasses probably needs to be scraped down a bit as it seems to be obscuring your vision. :)

Hall and Nuge are over ppg players. Eberle and Schultz are tearing the league up.

Meanwhile the Heat's best players are signed UFA AHL veterans.

Another article by Flames media member on this here.

If the Nuge, Eberle, Hall and Schultz weren't doing well I'd be concerned. They're doing better than fine.

The only colour I see is green and that's coming from you and Carty.

the thing about the Barons is that the young guns are doing well, but the rest of the team is not. Defense, a big gaping hole of the NHL team is also rearing its ugly head with the farm team. And, secondary scoring is virtually unheard of. Another issue is lack of veteran players on the farm team. Throw it all together and you have the same problems in both teams, ability to score goals but inability to stop them, and a lack of veteran leadership.

the thing about the Barons is that the young guns are doing well, but the rest of the team is not. Defense, a big gaping hole of the NHL team is also rearing its ugly head with the farm team. And, secondary scoring is virtually unheard of. Another issue is lack of veteran players on the farm team. Throw it all together and you have the same problems in both teams, ability to score goals but inability to stop them, and a lack of veteran leadership.

Your honest assessment of the situation is appreciated, as always... But if you add lack of solid goaltending to that list for both the Barons and the Oilers, you nail it... Just my opinion...

I do not think much anyone here could honestly doubt the talent of the young guns draft picks... They just need a supporting cast...

Filling out and trying to balance a team is the real challenge... As an example, the Flames have been trying to acquire a true #1 center for Iggy for a long time...

agreed. I think the farm team is in far better shape currently than the NHL team though. Roy and Danis aren't doing terrible, their career save % are respectable enough although Roy this year is having a very sub-par season. The goaltenders in OKC have been hung out to dry by their team this year. If they can tighten up and play a solid defense I think we will see both Roy and Danis pick up their games. I firmly believe though that Bunz will end up outperforming both of them once he is brought up. The kid lit it up for the Tigers, I think he will be gold, I just hope that he progresses ahead of schedule.

agreed. I think the farm team is in far better shape currently than the NHL team though. Roy and Danis aren't doing terrible, their career save % are respectable enough although Roy this year is having a very sub-par season. The goaltenders in OKC have been hung out to dry by their team this year. If they can tighten up and play a solid defense I think we will see both Roy and Danis pick up their games. I firmly believe though that Bunz will end up outperforming both of them once he is brought up. The kid lit it up for the Tigers, I think he will be gold, I just hope that he progresses ahead of schedule.

The Barons will likely play a much different style once Hall and company are back in the NHL. The Barons defence is very green with Schultz, Marincin, Davidson and Fedun being AHL rookies and even Teubert and Plante are 23 and under. That leaves not much room for AHL experience.

The forwards are in better shape even without Hall and company. I think the Barons will finish between 5th and 8th in the conference not because of lack of talent but experience.

IMO Danis was the benefactor of a defensive system last year which padded his stats. The Barons without the young stars reminds me of the Oilers of the late 90s. A team that is young and works hard but just doesn't have that elite veteran talent.

The Barons will likely play a much different style once Hall and company are back in the NHL. The Barons defence is very green with Schultz, Marincin, Davidson and Fedun being AHL rookies and even Teubert and Plante are 23 and under. That leaves not much room for AHL experience.

The forwards are in better shape even without Hall and company. I think the Barons will finish between 5th and 8th in the conference not because of lack of talent but experience.

IMO Danis was the benefactor of a defensive system last year which padded his stats. The Barons without the young stars reminds me of the Oilers of the late 90s. A team that is young and works hard but just doesn't have that elite veteran talent.

So you're saying the Barons will be in better shape to compete in the AHL when all the youngsters (the infusion of talent) return to the Oilers? That certainly doesn't say much for your expectations of those youngsters when called on to compete in the big league.

The line about Danis makes it sound like you expect Dubnyk & Khabibulin to be shell shocked by the rubber coming at them.

I don't know what Oilers team you were watching in the late '90s but the 1 based in Edmonton had a lot of late 20s/early 30s players so calling them young & without veteran leadership is baffling.

:)

So you're saying the Barons will be in better shape to compete in the AHL when all the youngsters (the infusion of talent) return to the Oilers? That certainly doesn't say much for your expectations of those youngsters when called on to compete in the big league.

The line about Danis makes it sound like you expect Dubnyk & Khabibulin to be shell shocked by the rubber coming at them.

I don't know what Oilers team you were watching in the late '90s but the 1 based in Edmonton had a lot of late 20s/early 30s players so calling them young & without veteran leadership is baffling.

:)

You can interpret what I wrote anyway you want. I think when the NHL starts the Barons will play a much different style, similar to the style they played last season which got them to 1st place in the conference.

I have no idea where you think I am stating that Dubnyk and Khabibulin are going to be busy.

Smyth, Weight, Guerin, Marchant, Grier, Mirinov, Niinimaa, Hamrlik. These are the guys I think of when I think of late 90s Oilers and they were all these guys were in the mid to late 20s range. The team had leadership but not the kind that's been there, done that leadership of winning the Stanley Cup. Yeah, Guerin won a cup in Jersey but he didn't play a major role then.

Oilers should have an advantage in a shortened season.

Enough for playoffs? Maybe but I'd like to see TamLowMac make a move or two before the season starts.

I thought the Oilers were just waiting for the season to be announced before making that huge announcement of a trade? I heard speculation they were after Luongo. That would be a great move for the Oilers and address their needs. Then all you need is a backup who can play lights out in the playoffs and you would be set, weak D or not.

I thought the Oilers were just waiting for the season to be announced before making that huge announcement of a trade? I heard speculation they were after Luongo. That would be a great move for the Oilers and address their needs. Then all you need is a backup who can play lights out in the playoffs and you would be set, weak D or not.

Not sure if that trade was for Luongo or another player. I'm also not sure if that trade is still in place because it was supposed to be contingent on December 1st start date.

They aren't ready to give up on Dubnyk yet, I really doubt that a starting goaltender would be their "wow" trade. Dubnyk tended the net pretty good at the Spengler, for the time being he will be the Oilers starter.

Weren't the Barons supposed to have an advantage because the Oilers shipped the upper 1/2 of their roster to the AHL?

;)-_-

Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins. Hardly the entire upper half of the roster. They have actually performed very well for the barons, the rest of the team as been somewhat underwhelming for sure.

Oilers should have an advantage in a shortened season.

Enough for playoffs? Maybe but I'd like to see TamLowMac make a move or two before the season starts.

They definitely do.

1) typically, young players will dominate early,with older more experienced players taking over later in the year and in the playoffs

2) most of the key Oilers have been playing (unlike the Flames for instance where almost no one is playing)

3) the Oilers will likely go with a run and gun, all offense type of style and, generally, teams will be successful at first, until other teams adapt defensively

I would say the shortened season favours the Oilers as much as any team in the league, and it probably punishes the Flames as much as any

They definitely do.

1) typically, young players will dominate early,with older more experienced players taking over later in the year and in the playoffs

2) most of the key Oilers have been playing (unlike the Flames for instance where almost no one is playing)

3) the Oilers will likely go with a run and gun, all offense type of style and, generally, teams will be successful at first, until other teams adapt defensively

I would say the shortened season favours the Oilers as much as any team in the league, and it probably punishes the Flames as much as any

Canucks aren't positioned well in a shortened season either. A 60 million cap would kill them next season.

IMO coaching is going to play a big role in the success of teams in this shortened season. Coaches who can best adjust their team to the sprint may make playoffs teams from teams that otherwise would not be.

Canucks can't positioned well in a shortened season either. A 60 million cap would kill them next season.

IMO coaching is going to play a big role in the success of teams in this shortened season. Coaches who can best adjust their team to the sprint may make playoffs teams from teams that otherwise would not be.

You are over-estimating the impact of a shortened season.

After 48 games last year, 15 of the 16 playoffs teams were already in position. The only change was Minny slipping out and Dallas getting in (they were 3 pts out with a game in hand at the time).

Also, what that doesn't consider is that, in an 82 game schedule, the pressure hasn't kicked in at that point. In a 48 game season, the games are more important and teams are taking them more seriously - no mid-season blahs. The difference between who gets in and who doesn't will be minimal and possibly even non-existant, compared to a normal season.

You are over-estimating the impact of a shortened season.

After 48 games last year, 15 of the 16 playoffs teams were already in position. The only change was Minny slipping out and Dallas getting in (they were 3 pts out with a game in hand at the time).

Also, what that doesn't consider is that, in an 82 game schedule, the pressure hasn't kicked in at that point. In a 48 game season, the games are more important and teams are taking them more seriously - no mid-season blahs. The difference between who gets in and who doesn't will be minimal and possibly even non-existant, compared to a normal season.

It's not the amount of games as much as the greater importance of each game combined with the extra amount of games to be played.

If the regular season is 14 weeks, that's 3.7 games per week. Last year it was apporximately 3 games per week. I think adjusting a team to play more in a shorter period of time as well as the increased importance of each game will make a big difference.

It's not the amount of games as much as the greater importance of each game combined with the extra amount of games to be played.

If the regular season is 14 weeks, that's 3.7 games per week. Last year it was apporximately 3 games per week. I think adjusting a team to play more in a shorter period of time as well as the increased importance of each game will make a big difference.

If there are more games per week (more condensed), that favours teams with more depth.

Bottom line - there are so many variables, some positive and others negative for each team that, like in every other year, when it all shakes out, the best teams are going to be there at the end.

If there are more games per week (more condensed), that favours teams with more depth.

Bottom line - there are so many variables, some positive and others negative for each team that, like in every other year, when it all shakes out, the best teams are going to be there at the end.

Probably but I still think how coaches adapt their team to the schedule is going to make a big difference.

A veteran team like the Flames, Canucks, Stars, Wings, Devils, etc sometimes take a month to find their groove. Combine that with less of their players have been playing and a condensed season and there might be a surprise team that falls out of the playoffs.

Archived