Louis23

Your accusation was that they "played bad to lose", and this proof you supply happened in other sports by athletes in sports other than hockey. Oh and by the way they were not throwing away the whole season, they were throwing 1 game. big difference.

You didn't read the Ottawa Senators link, then? So...before I bother reading the rest of your post, please remember to put phrases I actually wrote in quotes. The first step to that would be...reading my post. When you've managed that, I'll reciprocate.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't read the Ottawa Senators link, then? So...before I bother reading the rest of your post, please remember to put phrases I actually wrote in quotes. The first step to that would be...reading my post. When you've managed that, I'll reciprocate.

Read it, yup. Knew all about it already. Don't see how that pertains to the Oilers situation though, unless you know something that nobody else does. In that case, feel free to post it here.

As for the rest, if you aren't able to follow along then I suggest you might be more suited to a "Dick and Jane" book. I'm done with you now, you can post but I won't reply. I am going back to discussing hockey with the adults. I've no need for your childish behavior. I get that you hate Edmonton, and its team, and its fans. I will not help feed that hate.

Read it, yup. Knew all about it already. Don't see how that pertains to the Oilers situation though, unless you know something that nobody else does. In that case, feel free to post it here.

Haha, you don't see any correlation between the Oilers and other NHL teams which have finished last? That's a stretch, buddy!

Since the Oilers have basically cornered that market, there's really not a lot of other teams who have managed to do worse. The Senators are one of a very few teams in the last decade who managed to finish last, other than the Oilers.

I will give you this...there is really no team that compares to the Oilers...not even the Senators, in terms of consistently finishing last year after year. In that regard, I am wrong to compare them.

Also, it would be unfair of me to mention that the Oilers started finishing last EXACTLY when THIS guy bought them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Katz

It would also be unfair of me to mention that since he's taken over, the Oilers have been marketed to Edmonton like never before. Every effort has been made to revive the enthusiasm from the original dynasty, without any realistic mention that the NHL salary cap would never allow that to happen again.

And why have the Oilers been marketed so heavily? It would be completely unfair of me to mention this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Downtown_arena

When the Oiler's ownership changed in 2009, literally their entire defense core (the core which brought them to the finals), as Well as their starting goaltender, were traded out for minimal return. Yes, many of them were injured. But any fool knows you don't trade your players when they're injured...when they're at their lowest possible value...unless you Really, Really want to lose. Granted, some of them requested trades, but this was due to unreconcilable differences with management. Who just throws away their entire defense core, and their starting goaltender? I'll tell you who: Edmonton.

As for the rest, if you aren't able to follow along then I suggest you might be more suited to a "Dick and Jane" book. I'm done with you now, you can post but I won't reply. I am going back to discussing hockey with the adults. I've no need for your childish behavior. I get that you hate Edmonton, and its team, and its fans. I will not help feed that hate.

Awe common chump..I don't hate the Oilers fans. I have an incredible amount of pity for them and in fact think they deserve better than the crap team being marketed to them right now.

I don't even hate the Oilers. I just don't respect the organization. There was a time that I had a rule: If the Oilers made it further than the Flames in the playoffs, I would cheer the Oilers through the rest of the way.

I would never do that now though, because I've lost all respect for them. And I think you should too.

The Oilers organization has basically said it themselves for the past few years...they are a "rebuilding" organization.

They went after Pronger and got him, only to have him demand a trade out within a year. They way overpaid to get Souray out of Montreal only to have him demand a trade out within a few years. They aggresively went after and got Ryan Whitney, who then proceeded to get inured every time he eve looked at the ice. seeing a lack of toughness they got Andy Sutton. They brought in Tom Gilbert, one of university hockeys top defensemen at the time, and he ended up being a disappointment. They overpaid to get one of (they thought) the better goaltenders in the league, khabibulin, to come here and he turned out to be considerably less than stellar.

They did go after defensemen, but until now it hasn't really panned out for them. I agree that they didn't draft many (Gilbert being the exception) but they did attempt to make their defense better, it just didn't work.

The Lowe thing handing out contracts like candy IMO was because nobody wanted to play for Edmonton. I believe he did it to show people that he wasn't afraid to overpay if they would be willing to give him a shot.

Yes it bothers some Oiler fans that he got promoted. I am of the opinion that many of Edmontons problems are due to bad management from Lowe, but definitely not all of them. There are lots of factors out there that contributed to the teams downfall, but losing on purpose is not one of them.

I can appreciate that.

In trying to solve the crisis at D though, it seemed like it was 1-2 tries at pieces every year, whereas it appeared a real overhaul was required. I'll never speak ill of Whitney, I feel bad for him. Pronger is Pronger, if you get what I'm saying, no love lost here. Souray became immovable, but the whole shenanigan thing imo is that he got out of control because he was sick of losing. But he was treated with a hammer by Lowe, media and the faithful, rather than simply calling out Lowe and MacT, as needed to be done by someone, somewhere. It got him an axe in the back, rather than hearing his gripes, he was slaughtered.

More on the problem with MacT, was that "sitting on leads". How many teams came back in the 3rd was diabolical, when considering the coach should know his D capabilities.

I was a big Khabi supporter in Chicago, but even I realized he was on his last legs.

That's the last G move that's been made, continually awaiting Dubnyk.

Hate to jump all over Dubnyk, but I notice his "hope" is forever backed up with a good finish last year. If he struggles, you're still messed at goal for the nth year in a row.

I'm not slagging Edmonton or the Oilers, but as an outsider, wondering what the heck?

Also as an outsider, I've noted others of the belief that Lowe still has the reigns that Tambellini has to work under, and I've been of that opinion for some time.

Do you think that's a fair statement?

The move by Edmonton to hire Tambellini was heavily applauded everywhere, but it still smells like Lowe's team.

I can appreciate that.

In trying to solve the crisis at D though, it seemed like it was 1-2 tries at pieces every year, whereas it appeared a real overhaul was required. I'll never speak ill of Whitney, I feel bad for him. Pronger is Pronger, if you get what I'm saying, no love lost here. Souray became immovable, but the whole shenanigan thing imo is that he got out of control because he was sick of losing. But he was treated with a hammer by Lowe, media and the faithful, rather than simply calling out Lowe and MacT, as needed to be done by someone, somewhere. It got him an axe in the back, rather than hearing his gripes, he was slaughtered.

More on the problem with MacT, was that "sitting on leads". How many teams came back in the 3rd was diabolical, when considering the coach should know his D capabilities.

I was a big Khabi supporter in Chicago, but even I realized he was on his last legs.

That's the last G move that's been made, continually awaiting Dubnyk.

Hate to jump all over Dubnyk, but I notice his "hope" is forever backed up with a good finish last year. If he struggles, you're still messed at goal for the nth year in a row.

I'm not slagging Edmonton or the Oilers, but as an outsider, wondering what the heck?

Also as an outsider, I've noted others of the belief that Lowe still has the reigns that Tambellini has to work under, and I've been of that opinion for some time.

Do you think that's a fair statement?

The move by Edmonton to hire Tambellini was heavily applauded everywhere, but it still smells like Lowe's team.

For sure, very fair statement. However with Tambellini I do see a far more aggressive style towards improving defense. With the additions of Schultz and the new acquisition of the other Schultz one of the most sought after D this off-season, Fedun looking fully recovered, and don't forget about Marincin. Also, the drafting of Tyler Bunz, a highly touted goaltender from the Medicine Hat Tigers, and Yann Danis. The future does IMO look brighter, but gosh darnit it takes so stinking long for D to develop.

Haha, you don't see any correlation between the Oilers and other NHL teams which have finished last? That's a stretch, buddy!

Since the Oilers have basically cornered that market, there's really not a lot of other teams who have managed to do worse. The Senators are one of a very few teams in the last decade who managed to finish last, other than the Oilers.

I will give you this...there is really no team that compares to the Oilers...not even the Senators, in terms of consistently finishing last year after year. In that regard, I am wrong to compare them.

Also, it would be unfair of me to mention that the Oilers started finishing last EXACTLY when THIS guy bought them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Katz

It would also be unfair of me to mention that since he's taken over, the Oilers have been marketed to Edmonton like never before. Every effort has been made to revive the enthusiasm from the original dynasty, without any realistic mention that the NHL salary cap would never allow that to happen again.

And why have the Oilers been marketed so heavily? It would be completely unfair of me to mention this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Downtown_arena

When the Oiler's ownership changed in 2009, literally their entire defense core (the core which brought them to the finals), as Well as their starting goaltender, were traded out for minimal return. Yes, many of them were injured. But any fool knows you don't trade your players when they're injured...when they're at their lowest possible value...unless you Really, Really want to lose. Granted, some of them requested trades, but this was due to unreconcilable differences with management. Who just throws away their entire defense core, and their starting goaltender? I'll tell you who: Edmonton.

I know I said I wasn't going to reply to your childish posts any more, but I will make one more exception then you can go on with your little rants. You really don't let facts get in the way of those rants either, do you? I mean for crying out loud, the Senators finished last in the last decade??? Do you even watch hockey?

Teams that have finished last 2000-20012:

2012-CBS

2011-EDM

2010-EDM

2009-NYI

2008-TBL

2007-PHI

2006-STL

2005-LOCKOUT

2004-PGH

2003-CAR

2002-ATL

2001-NYI

BTW their starting goaltender was 40, he was done and proved that on the island and tampa bay. Pronger did demand out but his reason had NOTHING to do with management. Visnovsky asked for a trade, Souray asked for a trade. The only other defensemen of any notoriety that were traded were Grebeshkov (big deal) and Staios. Wow, Staios really proved in Calgary that he was a top notch defense, right?

Oh, the last time that the Senators finished in last place was 1996. Now you know so you don't make the same erroneous arguments next time.

Awe common chump..I don't hate the Oilers fans. I have an incredible amount of pity for them and in fact think they deserve better than the crap team being marketed to them right now.

I don't even hate the Oilers. I just don't respect the organization. There was a time that I had a rule: If the Oilers made it further than the Flames in the playoffs, I would cheer the Oilers through the rest of the way.

I would never do that now though, because I've lost all respect for them. And I think you should too.

The Oilers organization has basically said it themselves for the past few years...they are a "rebuilding" organization.

Every team is always rebuilding. Edmonton had no choice but to do it in more dramatic fashion. BTW you have no right to tell me who I should or should not respect.

I know I said I wasn't going to reply to your childish posts any more, but I will make one more exception then you can go on with your little rants. You really don't let facts get in the way of those rants either, do you? I mean for crying out loud, the Senators finished last in the last decade??? Do you even watch hockey?

I left that one incorrect fact in there to give you something to respond to bronco73...I caught it when I previewed my post, and then thought...nah, better leave bronco something. Glad I did...cause you had nothin on anything relevant to the discussion.

oilers.jpg

Hey Eager is willing to fight a more then likely larger bouncer, maybe he will fight on the ice this season. I wouldn't be to concerned about a bar brawl until the whole story gets out, amazingly enough drunk people when giving statements tend to exaggerate. Now there's a chance Eager was completely out of line and should be charged but I'll wait till there's more information before I have an opinion.

For sure, very fair statement. However with Tambellini I do see a far more aggressive style towards improving defense. With the additions of Schultz and the new acquisition of the other Schultz one of the most sought after D this off-season, Fedun looking fully recovered, and don't forget about Marincin. Also, the drafting of Tyler Bunz, a highly touted goaltender from the Medicine Hat Tigers, and Yann Danis. The future does IMO look brighter, but gosh darnit it takes so stinking long for D to develop.

For sure it looks like you're ahead of the curve now. Outside of the good fortune that brought you Justin Schultz (who looks great in the A), Nick Schultz was a good pickup. He isn't given much accolade, but proven stay-at-home Dmen are never bad pickups in exchange for Gilbert, yet another example of a bloated contract for 1 good season.

Marincin's playing with J Schultz, so my jury is still pretty out, but it still raises the possibility that you add 2 (maybe 3) of the TYPE of Dmen you lacked from last years camp.

If fortifying the D can help with a consistently confident Dubnyk, I'd think you won't be at the bottom anymore. But alternatively, that's still a pretty big if.

Good NHL goalies end 4-5 game losing streaks, oft-times single-handedly. It's rare to see even the best team not do so on their goalie's back.

The days of simply outscoring your opponent are over, as depicted by the PHI-PITT series winner of last year going to find out that NJ plays D!

For sure it looks like you're ahead of the curve now. Outside of the good fortune that brought you Justin Schultz (who looks great in the A), Nick Schultz was a good pickup. He isn't given much accolade, but proven stay-at-home Dmen are never bad pickups in exchange for Gilbert, yet another example of a bloated contract for 1 good season.

Marincin's playing with J Schultz, so my jury is still pretty out, but it still raises the possibility that you add 2 (maybe 3) of the TYPE of Dmen you lacked from last years camp.

If fortifying the D can help with a consistently confident Dubnyk, I'd think you won't be at the bottom anymore. But alternatively, that's still a pretty big if.

Good NHL goalies end 4-5 game losing streaks, oft-times single-handedly. It's rare to see even the best team not do so on their goalie's back.

The days of simply outscoring your opponent are over, as depicted by the PHI-PITT series winner of last year going to find out that NJ plays D!

As far as entertainment value, that philly pits series was THE series of the playoffs. One of the best rivalries in sports IMO. I am holding out lots of hope for Tyler Bunz, I really think that as far as goaltending goes in Edmonton he will be the real deal. In defense, don't forget about Fedun. The broken femur really set him back but until that happened he was proving himself to be a very good defenseman. He does look to be fully rehabbed and ready to take off on the ice again and I personally think he is one of the future top defensemen for Edmonton. Oh how many times I've wished upon a star that a goalie like Kipprusov would fall into Oilers silks :(

Eager's a bum anyway. I wasn't that pumped about the signing and I was hoping he gets traded before this anyways.

Add him to the long list of FA signings that haven't panned out.

Oilers Updates

Sutton had surgery in the off season and now has to go for another. He could very well be retired. He was planning on retiring at the end of the 2011-12 season but said it was so much fun playing on the Oilers he wanted to play one more season. He was supposedly working out very hard this off season and was going to be in the best shape of his life when he got injured. Too bad. Oilers liked what he brought to the team as a leader off of the ice.

Khabibulin is continuing to have groin problems. Hopefully he retires but the Oilers aren't that lucky.

Gagner is playing in Austria.

Horcoff is focusing on the CBA negotiations.

Dubnyk can't find work as a goalie. According to him not many North American goalies are playing in Europe.

Smyth was skating with the Oil Kings.

Hall is being cleared to play in the AHL.

RNH and Eberle are in OKC. RNH has 6 points in 6 games and Eberle 5 in 6.

Smid and Hemsky are playing in Czech Republic.

Yakupov has 8 goals and 10 points in 11 KHL games.

Schultz is leading the AHL in scoring with 10 points in 6 games.

2 on 1 & using a chair doesn't sound good nor fair.

But the video & police investigation will provide more information. Early in a story the media tends to sensationalize things.

The media does have a tendency for sensationalizing a story...

However, the original charges for threatening bodily harm, assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon have been added to at the end of the week...

Police have laid an additional assault charge against both men on Friday and the assault causing bodily harm charges have been upgraded to aggravated assault...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/26/edmonton-oiler-ben-eager-faces-upgraded-charges-from-toronto-bar-fight

At 6'2" and 240 lbs, Ben Eager definitely has a lot of future potential for a role in the league... Hopefully for his sake he hasn't caused damage to that potential future career...

The media does have a tendency for sensationalizing a story...

However, the original charges for threatening bodily harm, assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon have been added to at the end of the week...

Police have laid an additional assault charge against both men on Friday and the assault causing bodily harm charges have been upgraded to aggravated assault...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/26/edmonton-oiler-ben-eager-faces-upgraded-charges-from-toronto-bar-fight

At 6'2" and 240 lbs, Ben Eager definitely has a lot of future potential for a role in the league... Hopefully for his sake he hasn't caused damage to that potential future career...

I'm going to say he probably did what they are charging him with. They have a video of the incident and this isn't some guy at the bar they assaulted, it's the bouncer which means it must have gotten pretty ugly.

Every team is always rebuilding. Edmonton had no choice but to do it in more dramatic fashion. BTW you have no right to tell me who I should or should not respect.

yes i do.

And you should listen if you like having NHL hockey in your city.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/10/23/is-the-katz-group-contemplating-a-betrayal-of-oilers-fans-that-will-make-the-gretzky-deal-look-like-small-change/

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/alberta-politics/Thomson+Oilers+owner+party+contributions+have/7448690/story.html

What "big move"...

Not saying that the rumor :) is not valid,... But please give us the link....

Here's Oilers Now twitter account link

Here's the show if you want to listen. Not sure about time marks Link

For the record, Bob Stauffer is probably the best source of Oilers related rumours out there. Better than MacKenize and Dreger when it comes to Oilers stuff. He works for the organization so he definitely has some high up sources.

Here's Oilers Now twitter account link

Here's the show if you want to listen. Not sure about time marks Link

For the record, Bob Stauffer is probably the best source of Oilers related rumours out there. Better than MacKenize and Dreger when it comes to Oilers stuff. He works for the organization so he definitely has some high up sources.

So...that basically means that the Oilers are advertising through their employees that they may move.

While I see this more as a threat than anything, I don't see it as an empty threat.

They're using it for leverage. But it also means that they would do it depending on circumstances.

If this kind of rhetoric came out of the Flames organization, I'd be right mad.

Archived