Louis23

Pittsburgh's additions are not unlike Edmonton thus far. Two rookies some depth players and an enforcer.

Washington added Backstrom who was also a rookie and some depth players.

LA did add some signifigance with Smyth and two top 4 shut down defencemen.

Chicago adds two rookies, some depth and some young players who were not impactful that season (Ladd, Versteeg).

You have to not just look at the names but what they actually added to the team that season they made the jump.

Right now, most of these teams added two rookies, Oilers got that covered.

Are we talking the cup winning season or the season before that? Ladd and Versteeg were big parts of those teams.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I should give a better idea of where the Oilers are coming from and what I think they still need to do.

From he Oilers perspective, key players have had major surgeries, the kind of surgeries it takes a season of playing to recover from to get close to 100%. The players I'm talking about are Whitney and Hemsky.

If Whitney at his best is 100% and when injury free plays on average 85%, his play last season on average was 40%. He went from being a #2 defenceman to being a #6 defenceman on a bubble team. Hemsky on average played 50% to his usual 85%. The Oilers are expecting both of these players to get back to or at least close to their usual ability to play.

Another factor is the progression of the young stars. All of the pressure won't be on them but from the exit meetings at the end of the season and from what Krueger has been saying, the Oilers are becoming their team instead of the old guard's. It is reasonable to assume progress from the young players, especially since it's their contract year. The young stars need to lead this team in the right direction.

Now from where I'm coming from, I still believe the Oilers need to add one more top 4 defenceman. If they don't do this they may not be sending the right signal to the players. The addition of a top 4 preferably defensive defencemn would also help take the pressure off of everyone a bit in the defensive zone. From what it sounds like, Tambellini, Lowe and MacTavish aren't done but they might wait until after the new CBA to make anymore changes.

Are we talking the cup winning season or the season before that? Ladd and Versteeg were big parts of those teams.

I was talking about their jump from 71 to 88 points.

^ I get all that...

But All those other teams just had a much more significant influx of experience, grit, character and were able to shake up the mentality of their previously losing locker rooms.

Most of us believe Edmonton is easily poised to take the next step and move up a tier...

But i just don't see how the environment has changed enough for them to go from

62 pts to 62 pts to 74 pts and then make a 21-22ish pt improvement to get to the 95/96 pt playoff threshold.

. The young stars need to lead this team in the right direction

See that's what I don't get. You dont have a crosby or ov who's ready to lead at a young age. So why do you guys rely on kids to run the show. Guys like smyth should be leading and calling the shots and mentoring these kids. I just seems to me that they have free run to do anything they want and the proven players are just the support staff. Maybe it will work maybe it won't but I just don't see it as the optimal way to build the team.

^ I get all that...

But All those other teams just had a much more significant influx of experience, grit, character and were able to shake up the mentality of their previously losing locker rooms.

Most of us believe Edmonton is easily poised to take the next step and move up a tier...

But i just don't see how the environment has changed enough for them to go from

62 pts to 62 pts to 74 pts and then make a 21-22ish pt improvement to get to the 95/96 pt playoff threshold.

Players were playing out of their optimal role last season. With the promotion of Krueger and moving the veterans down the depth chart, Oiler management believe they have a decent team. They are still looking to add a defenceman. They had several talks with Weber's agent before he signed with the Flyers. Lowe still may make a move for him next season, Lowe likes his franchise defencemen.

See that's what I don't get. You dont have a crosby or ov who's ready to lead at a young age. So why do you guys rely on kids to run the show. Guys like smyth should be leading and calling the shots and mentoring these kids. I just seems to me that they have free run to do anything they want and the proven players are just the support staff. Maybe it will work maybe it won't but I just don't see it as the optimal way to build the team.

I know where you're coming from but only a fan of the Oilers would see what was going on the last couple of seasons.

The veterans were demanding their share of the ice time and key minutes without producing. The young stars were the ones who were making the biggest difference but this wasn't reflected in their ice time. Renney said this was a process of not putting too much pressure on them.

Krueger will be different. He said whover gives the best results will be on the ice.

Hall is a leader. He needs to win and brings it every shift. He will be the new captain after Horcoff.

I know where you're coming from but only someone who's been drinking the kool-aid would see what was going on the last couple of seasons.

The veterans were demanding their share of the ice time and key minutes without producing. The young stars were the ones who were making the biggest difference but this wasn't reflected in their ice time. Renney said this was a process of not putting too much pressure on them.

Krueger will be different. He said whover gives the best results will be on the ice.

Hall is a leader. He needs to win and brings it every shift. He will be the new captain after Horcoff.

fixed your post

Maybe I should give a better idea of where the Oilers are coming from and what I think they still need to do.

From he Oilers perspective, key players have had major surgeries, the kind of surgeries it takes a season of playing to recover from to get close to 100%. The players I'm talking about are Whitney and Hemsky.

If Whitney at his best is 100% and when injury free plays on average 85%, his play last season on average was 40%. He went from being a #2 defenceman to being a #6 defenceman on a bubble team. Hemsky on average played 50% to his usual 85%. The Oilers are expecting both of these players to get back to or at least close to their usual ability to play.

Another factor is the progression of the young stars. All of the pressure won't be on them but from the exit meetings at the end of the season and from what Krueger has been saying, the Oilers are becoming their team instead of the old guard's. It is reasonable to assume progress from the young players, especially since it's their contract year. The young stars need to lead this team in the right direction.

Now from where I'm coming from, I still believe the Oilers need to add one more top 4 defenceman. If they don't do this they may not be sending the right signal to the players. The addition of a top 4 preferably defensive defencemn would also help take the pressure off of everyone a bit in the defensive zone. From what it sounds like, Tambellini, Lowe and MacTavish aren't done but they might wait until after the new CBA to make anymore changes.

I was talking about their jump from 71 to 88 points.

All teams had injuries and a lot of them had injuries to key people. Calgary lost the equivalent to your Whitney and Hemsky when Gio and Tangs were lost for lengthy periods. We had the second most game hours lost, from the last figures I saw, of all NHL teams east and west.

You don't see Calgary holding up the injuries as an excuse for not making the playoffs do you? So quit making excuses for your teams performance because you had a couple of injuries to a couple of key people. Your former coach allowed your club to think it was okay to lose due to injuries.

The single best thing your new coach could do for your team is to tell the team and fans that using injuries as an excuse is not acceptable anymore.

On a side note your Oilers have gone through a horrific bunch of injury plagued seasons. Why hasn't your management done something constructive about it?

On a side note your Oilers have gone through a horrific bunch of injury plagued seasons. Why hasn't your management done something constructive about it?

Don't be so hard on them, they have a plan...

Tank for the top picks...

You have to admit, the Oilers are being very consistent at doing just that...

I hear you but I guess we just did by signing RW Nail Yakupov and Defenceman Justin Schultz to entry level contracts.

The Oilers and RW Ales Hemsky both believe his shoulder injury problems are behind him after undergoing a specialized shoulder procedure last off season. Hemsky had a strong finish to last years season and arguably was our best forward in the last several games. He also had 8 points for Czechoslovakia at the Worlds in Finland only one behind Eberle for Canada.

Defenceman Ryan Whitney while recently plagued by ankle problems is also reportably rehabing well. I would add though that the general mood among us Oiler fans is cautious optimism in this case.

edit - spelling

I hear you but I guess we just did by signing RW Nail Yakupov and Defenceman Justin Schultz to entry level contracts.

The Oilers and RW Ales Hemsky both believe his shoulder injury problems are behind him after undergoing a specialized shoulder procedure last off season. Hemsky had a strong finish to last years season and arguably was our best forward in the last several games. He also had 8 points for Czechoslovakia at the Worlds in Finland only one behind Eberle for Canada.

Defenceman Ryan Whitney while recently plagued by angle problems is also reportably rehabing well. I would add though that the general mood among us Oiler fans is cautious optimism in this case.

So, how does signing two new-to-the-NHL players address injury problems? Sending in two more young guys to play against men doesn't do anything but add risk to injury.

All teams had injuries and a lot of them had injuries to key people. Calgary lost the equivalent to your Whitney and Hemsky when Gio and Tangs were lost for lengthy periods. We had the second most game hours lost, from the last figures I saw, of all NHL teams east and west.

You don't see Calgary holding up the injuries as an excuse for not making the playoffs do you? So quit making excuses for your teams performance because you had a couple of injuries to a couple of key people. Your former coach allowed your club to think it was okay to lose due to injuries.

The single best thing your new coach could do for your team is to tell the team and fans that using injuries as an excuse is not acceptable anymore.

Injuries as an excuse add to the myth that they are actually a good team & that all those 1/1 picks are because of a few bad breaks. :lol:

That kool-aid must be tasty as the Oilers fans keep buying more.

That kool-aid must be tasty as the Oilers fans keep buying more.

The kool-aid just has not been the same since Pronger pissed in it right before he walked out the door laughing his apple off....

But it still seems as though it is good enough to feed the trolls...

The kool-aid just has not been the same since Pronger pissed in it right before he walked out the door laughing his apple off....

But it still seems as though it is good enough to feed the trolls...

He told them it was this rare liquid called "win juice". They believe they just need to drink enough. (It'll turn Hall & RNH into Gretzky & Kurri.)

It seems Prong's wife get's him to go in gallon jugs & ships it to KLowe. When there's not enough a local farm will make up the extra with anything their animals pass through their bladders (for purification purposes of course :lol: ).

He told them it was this rare liquid called "win juice". They believe they just need to drink enough. (It'll turn Hall & RNH into Gretzky & Kurri.)

It seems Prong's wife get's him to go in gallon jugs & ships it to KLowe. When there's not enough a local farm will make up the extra with anything their animals pass through their bladders (for purification purposes of course :lol: ).

So Prongers win juice gave him one dilly Stanley Cup.A no big deal,I won a Stanley Cup.What the heck is Lowe drinking with SIX.SIX STANLEY CUP RINGS.Not one,not two,not even three,not even an incredible four,not even a extremley rare five,but the unheard number of SIX Stanley Cups.Now there is a winning potion.And dont be bringing in Prongers wife on why he left Edmonton,,Shhhhhhh.....

I still think the Oilers and Flames have moves to make. Oilers need to add another defenceman and the Flames will try to trade one away. Might not be until after the new CBA.

Perhaps you could be a little more specific...

Perhaps you could be a little more specific...

Oilers need to add another defenceman via trade. They already have 8 defencemen on one way deals and need to move one, likely Peckham with some other assets to add a defenceman who can play 2 minutes a night and be relied upon in key situations.

Flames will likely trade on if not two defencemen. The two likeliest are Babchuk and Bouwmeester. The return depends on if the Flames also add another player to the trade because the Flames are full at forward and in net.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough there's a thread called Future of the Canucks on the Oilers board.

Connor claims the Sedins, etc. will hold out for huge raises when their current contracts end.

Yep, the same Connor that expects the teens drafted by Edmonton to sign for less then market to stay in the "City of #1 Picks". :lol:

Interestingly enough there's a thread called Future of the Canucks on the Oilers board.

Connor claims the Sedins, etc. will hold out for huge raises when their current contracts end.

Yep, the same Connor that expects the teens drafted by Edmonton to sign for less then market to stay in the "City of #1 Picks". :lol:

Do you know the difference between being an RFA and a UFA? Do you understand the term leverage?

Do you know the difference between being an RFA and a UFA? Do you understand the term leverage?

Leverage is what Shea Weber used. Not signing until he received an offer sheet is leverage.

The best tool very good RFAs have in their toolbox is the possibility/probability of an offer sheet.

Hall &/or Eberle could have their agents keep negotiating/stalling until July 1, 2013 to see how much other teams value them. A good OS comes in & they sign off on it which forces KLowe/Tambellini to match or let them go to the offering team.

Both could receive OSs (from separate teams) as there is little love around the league for your GM or his beard.

An in demand UFA is the target of a bidding war but also can just decide to play near home/for the team that gives him the best shot @ a SC or any other reason for a bit less then the highest offer. Again, it works for the top players because scrubs will just take a reasonable offer to keep playing (even if it comes from a cellar dweller) in hopes of a good year & a trade to a contender or a richer contract the next season.

I explained all 3. Is it clear enough yet? :)

If not there are a few of us that will try to teach you the ways of the hockey world.

You will have to pardon the confusion...

It's just that basement dwellers like the Oilers have never been known for having leverage... :lol:

Archived