Louis23

I thought the older you get the wser you get but it seems to be the opposite in your case.

See what you can look forward to. You might even learn to spell "wiser". :lol:

The Oilers are not going to let Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakupov and Klefbom get to RFA status.

The players & their agents do have a say on that. Market value, offer & chance of winning a SC usually come into play (unless the players enjoy playing for a team that has that lottery pick as their goal).

The Oilers payroll will have nothing to do with money for the arena.

Losing 1/2 of your star picks the 1st time they have a chance to change uniforms & having that followed by either another 1/1 &/or the "star UFA" could lead to less support for the city/province putting money into the new arena. :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers are going to be a much more competitive team than the Flames and Jets in the near future.

Straight from the future Oilers GM's orafice.

The Flyers should get offersheets for Giroux, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds and Couturier which will decimate their depth, according to your logic.

If teams weren't already dreaming of sending them an OS I'd be disappointed. If they get 1 it's a matter of weighing the worth of the player vs the compensation. Give Jake a huge offer & I'm sure Homer would be happy to have 4 Edmonton lottery picks in return. :D

Come on you guy's. Lets not let it get personal.

For the record I am an Oilers fan. I look forward to getting back where teams that roll into Alberta will be in for a not a nice ride. You guy's are there already and hopefully we are following.

In my books you have a national hero in Iggy playing for you and Curtis GlenX is my favorite on your team.

More accurate: The Oiler will do what they can to prevent Hall, RNH...from getting to RFA status. If the player in question feels there is no upside to staying, they will not sign any extension. Lack of upside could mean different things to different players:

Schultz - lack of top 2 minutes

Hall - frustration with playing on a losing team

Eberle - nothing being done to improve the defensive side(goalie, top 2 D)

As of today there is nothing to suggest that the players will bail. There is nothing to suggest that the team wants to win this year; no top 2 defense broungt in and no top goalie brought in. That would send a message.

You can make a list of any teams' players and give reasons as why they would want out. I can say a bunch of Flames want out because the team shows no sign of progressing forward. Players in Philadelphia want out because they want more ice time.

There is no sign on of any player on the Oilers current roster wanting out and the Oilers signed one of the most sought after free agents which shows players wanting in. A key element of the signing of Schultz was Hall who talked about how the Oilers did go through some rough times and how they improved and are going to improve from it.

The Oilers also let go of Renney and put Krueger in his place. If anything, Oiler management showed its players that the last season was unacceptable.

As for the roster, the Oilers will add a potential 30 goal scorer and an offensive defenceman for the upcoming season. I myself want the Oilers to trade for another defenceman, a defensie type that can be relied upon when the game is on the line. It doesn't have to be a top pairing but more of a number 4 or 5 defenceman. If they are going to make a trade, I think they are going to wait until the new CBA is in place.

The players & their agents do have a say on that. Market value, offer & chance of winning a SC usually come into play (unless the players enjoy playing for a team that has that lottery pick as their goal).

Losing 1/2 of your star picks the 1st time they have a chance to change uniforms & having that followed by either another 1/1 &/or the "star UFA" could lead to less support for the city/province putting money into the new arena. :)

Many people feel Edmonton is on track to becoming a contender soon.

You obviously have no idea about the arena funding. I suggest reading up on it if you're going to make statements because if you have no knowledge on the subject, your post look asinine.

If teams weren't already dreaming of sending them an OS I'd be disappointed. If they get 1 it's a matter of weighing the worth of the player vs the compensation. Give Jake a huge offer & I'm sure Homer would be happy to have 4 Edmonton lottery picks in return. :D

Oilers' top 6 is stacked.

Try Calgary or Winnipeg.

You can make a list of any teams' players and give reasons as why they would want out. I can say a bunch of Flames want out because the team shows no sign of progressing forward. Players in Philadelphia want out because they want more ice time.

There is no sign on of any player on the Oilers current roster wanting out and the Oilers signed one of the most sought after free agents which shows players wanting in. A key element of the signing of Schultz was Hall who talked about how the Oilers did go through some rough times and how they improved and are going to improve from it.

The Oilers also let go of Renney and put Krueger in his place. If anything, Oiler management showed its players that the last season was unacceptable.

As for the roster, the Oilers will add a potential 30 goal scorer and an offensive defenceman for the upcoming season. I myself want the Oilers to trade for another defenceman, a defensie type that can be relied upon when the game is on the line. It doesn't have to be a top pairing but more of a number 4 or 5 defenceman. If they are going to make a trade, I think they are going to wait until the new CBA is in place.

Letting go of Renney was a no-brainer. You can't extend a guy that gets you last and second last. It doesn't say much more than that.

As for RFA players, there is no way to predict their decision to sign or go UFA. That was my point. If they feel that the team doesn't progress, or feel that their talent isn't being showcased enough, they may choose to go. You seemed to claim RFA's were a lock.

The fact that they are adding Yak and Schultz doesn't really say too much. It's not like the Oilers are a bubble team and just need some more goals; they have issues that need to be dealt with. Goals against is the biggest issue. If that gets solved SOON, and the team begins to have a winning culture, they stand a better chance at keeping the core together.

Guys,"your players are too good,theyll get offer sheets",your areana is getting downgraded"..this kind of talk just isnt scary to Oiler fans.Theyve got one of the most savy and richest businessmen in Canada for an owner.Theyve got a GM thats getting better,and is respected in the hockey world.A president that can pack around,count them,..6 STANLEY CUP RINGS.Theyll know how to deal with offer sheets.And the areana,your right,it wouldnt cost 450 million,itll be well over 500.A state of the art facility that never been seen before in the hockey world.The press hates Edmonton/Calgary anything Alberta,so we all will be hearing crap,but this is a done deal.Nice talking,but I gotta run to Viking.I hear the Stanley Cups there.Rumor has it some grandious President fired one of the best minds in hockey,some other team picked him up,he turned the season around and they won the whole frickin enchilada.Man,which rock is that president hiding under these days.Anyway,nice talkin guys...

Letting go of Renney was a no-brainer. You can't extend a guy that gets you last and second last. It doesn't say much more than that.

As for RFA players, there is no way to predict their decision to sign or go UFA. That was my point. If they feel that the team doesn't progress, or feel that their talent isn't being showcased enough, they may choose to go. You seemed to claim RFA's were a lock.

The fact that they are adding Yak and Schultz doesn't really say too much. It's not like the Oilers are a bubble team and just need some more goals; they have issues that need to be dealt with. Goals against is the biggest issue. If that gets solved SOON, and the team begins to have a winning culture, they stand a better chance at keeping the core together.

But what you state as the Oilers dilemma faces every NHL franchise. Weber walked from Nashville, Hossa left Atlanta to go Pittsburgh to go to Detroit to finally win in Chicago. Maybe Bartschi will want a better chance to win than he will get in Calgary.

Yakupov will give the Oiler forwards even more scoirng depth and adding Schultz while minusing Barker should make a big difference. Barker was one of the worst defencemen in the league last season. Dubnyk's goaltending in the second half of the season was pretty good. I'm not depending on Dubnyk to emerge as a game changing starter but the Oilers had big defensive issues with players like Barker and Peckham. They also went with Kahbibulin longer than they should have.

This is at least what I am hoping for and predicting. I think the Oilers will make a small package for a defensive defenceman who can play top 4 minutes but will primarily be in a shut down role. Here are the players I think the Oilers should target: Lydman, D.Murray who are UFA next off season or Hjalmarsson, Komisarek who are UFA the following off season.

Hjalmarsson would likely be the most expensive but the 3 other ones are 5th or lower on their teams' depth chart and are making 2nd pairing money. I don't think the 3 others would cost much.

Gagner-Hall-Hemsky

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones

Eager-Belanger-Petrell

EXTRA:Hordichuk

Smid-Petry

Whitney-J.Schultz

Lydman-N.Schultz

EXTRA:Sutton-Potter

AHL callups

LW - Hartikainen, Tyrvainen, Cornet

C - Lander

RW - Paajarvi, Pitlick

LD - ?

RD - Teubert, Fedun

G - Danis

The Oilers have been looking for a left defenceman for the AHL that is capable of playing at the NHL. They should also address their centre depth at the AHL level.

As whole though, I would say that the 2012-13 Oilers have enough depth to deal with injuries. The key for the Oilers for being competitive next season would be getting an upgrade over Peckham in the defensive core.

I'd like to give Renney a one year extention. If Oilers get off to a bad start next season then get a different coach mid stream.

OK Mr. GM.

There is no sign on of any player on the Oilers current roster wanting out and the Oilers signed one of the most sought after free agents which shows players wanting in.

Many people feel Edmonton is on track to becoming a contender soon.

Was Barker this hot UFA that was going to give the Oilers D some credibility last year? :lol:

& people in Edmonton believing the Oilers are on track = all those SCs the Canucks fans thought their roster would win.

Guys,"your players are too good,theyll get offer sheets",your areana is getting downgraded"..this kind of talk just isnt scary to Oiler fans.Theyve got one of the most savy and richest businessmen in Canada for an owner.Theyve got a GM thats getting better,and is respected in the hockey world.A president that can pack around,count them,..6 STANLEY CUP RINGS.Theyll know how to deal with offer sheets.And the areana,your right,it wouldnt cost 450 million,itll be well over 500.A state of the art facility that never been seen before in the hockey world.The press hates Edmonton/Calgary anything Alberta,so we all will be hearing crap,but this is a done deal.Nice talking,but I gotta run to Viking.I hear the Stanley Cups there.Rumor has it some grandious President fired one of the best minds in hockey,some other team picked him up,he turned the season around and they won the whole frickin enchilada.Man,which rock is that president hiding under these days.Anyway,nice talkin guys...

two words, Shawn Horcoff.

No wonder Kevin Lowe got a promotion! :lol:

No need to hide under rocks in Edmonton, you get a promotion when you watermelon it right up.

$5.5mil cap hit through 2014, whoops...

Future GM, Yakupov-RNH-Eberle?

Wow, follow the flock much?

Gagner-Hall-Hemsky? Talk about throwing a line together.

Do you want Gagner and Hemsky to regress?

hint: match Hemsky and Yakupov together. God knows Hemsky has earned a guy that has his tempo and vision and can finish, he's the only Oiler that has been through all of the abject turmoil. Cut him some slack with a player better fitting his dynamic...for once in his career.

You played Khabibulin too much? Maybe because he had the torrid start.

Couldn't pull him.

Better hope he does the same and maintains.

Devan Dubnyk is your guy, though, and goaltending isn't at the top of concerns...hmmm, ever wonder what it is Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Pavelec, Brodeur, Thomas, Kiprusoff et. al. do for their teams??

You haven't had consistent help in goal since Dwayne Roloson, but convince yourselves it's fine. Well it's not fine, it's weird.

Guys,"your players are too good,theyll get offer sheets",your areana is getting downgraded"..this kind of talk just isnt scary to Oiler fans.Theyve got one of the most savy and richest businessmen in Canada for an owner.

Katz held the team for ransom with a thinly veiled threat to move them that could easily be looked at as blackmail... He will win that one, Edmonton has no choice if they do not want to lose the team...

Theyve got a GM thats getting better,

Looking at the bottom of the barrel in the league fineshes, he could not possibly do any worse, so at some point he must be able do do a little better with the team...

and is respected in the hockey world.

:lol: Maybe in Edmonton...

A president that can pack around,count them,..6 STANLEY CUP RINGS.

And at the same time, count them, how many years of absolute failure at his current job?

Theyll know how to deal with offer sheets.

They should be able to... This is the team that arguably set the standard of violating the unwritten code of ethics when it comes to offer sheets and also skewed player values because the Oilers were so desperate... The repercussions of the offer sheets the Oilers made will continue to haunt the entire league for years...

And the areana,your right,it wouldnt cost 450 million,itll be well over 500.A state of the art facility that never been seen before in the hockey world.

The arena project is still 100 mil short after being scaled back, and that does not include the actual cost overruns that will happen...

The press hates Edmonton/Calgary anything Alberta,so we all will be hearing crap,but this is a done deal.Nice talking,but I gotta run to Viking.I hear the Stanley Cups there.Rumor has it some grandious President fired one of the best minds in hockey,some other team picked him up,he turned the season around and they won the whole frickin enchilada.Man,which rock is that president hiding under these days.Anyway,nice talkin guys...

A fan of the basement of the league OIl that actually has the cajones to talk about hiding under a rock? :lol:

I don't think you will have a hard time finding many here that would support the opinion that Darryl Sutter is a good coach... He was just a lousy GM...

So go ahead... Run to Viking, because unless the Oil fire both Lowe and his puppet Tambellini, that is as close as you will ever come to seeing Stanley for the foreseeable future...

Your right Darryl was a great coach.He did something no other Flames coach could do in 17 years after winning the cup...And he did it 3 times{all in one year mind you}.Win a frickin playoff round.!!

And the Oilers franchise managed to set quite the record for a string of 1st overall picks... :lol:

And the Oilers franchise managed to set quite the record for a string of 1st overall picks... :lol:

Yup,the hockey gods are sure looking after them.The last one was a lottery pick.Where as theyve cursed the Flames.Small example,in a meaningless last game of the season some oversized dude from the minors{Akim} bounces in two lucky goals.The 1st and possibly the last two of his career and the flames win the game.So the Flames go from picking 12th to 14th.Thats a woman hockey god,shes a nasty nasty beotch.

Yup,the hockey gods are sure looking after them.The last one was a lottery pick.Where as theyve cursed the Flames.Small example,in a meaningless last game of the season some oversized dude from the minors{Akim} bounces in two lucky goals.The 1st and possibly the last two of his career and the flames win the game.So the Flames go from picking 12th to 14th.Thats a woman hockey god,shes a nasty nasty beotch.

So... You have something against women? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you are a lonely and bitter single young man... Keep trying though... There is hope, just the same as there is for the Oilers... ;)

So... You have something against women? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you are a lonely and bitter single young man... Keep trying though... There is hope, just the same as there is for the Oilers... ;)

Wrong again,happily married,kids and all.{As a matter of fact shes wondering why Im not outside doing a project around the place.lol}Look,I dont want to knock the Flames,Im an Albertan though and though and lived in rural Alberta my whole life,Ive got lots of buds from Calgary and have been to some Flames games.The place was rocking,the whole rink dressed in red,Johney Cashs Ring of Fire blaring for tunes.An intiminating place to play for any opposing team.It was an incredible franchise,one of a kind.Then King firing Sutter{AT FRICKIN XMAS YET}and replacing him with a US lawyer.And its snowballed from there.Out with another Alberta boy in Brett and in comes Feasters sons godfather from Quebec.Yadda yadda yadda..anyway somehow I just dont see the type of players they are bringing in suiting the history of THE SEA of RED."Oh no,its Hudler and Wideman,dont skate around with your heads down boys".It just doesnt fit.And they are yours for 4 years,top dollar,NMCs and all.Its Feasters and Companys team now,the only thing Alberta about it is the location.

Theyve got one of the most savy and richest businessmen in Canada for an owner.

Big deal. The Jets have 1 of the richest men in the world as an owner.

Theyve got a GM thats getting better,and is respected in the hockey world.A president that can pack around,count them,..6 STANLEY CUP RINGS.Theyll know how to deal with offer sheets.

The GM is known for being KLowe's stooge. If that's what passes for respect?

A president that POed the league & has a beard in place while pulling the strings isn't much to brag about. His rings came as a player on a stacked team. Even Gretz didn't translate to a good coach or GM.

KLowe knows how to give offer sheets. Being targeted (especially with 2 @ a time) is different.

Wrong again,happily married,kids and all.{As a matter of fact shes wondering why Im not outside doing a project around the place.lol}Look,I dont want to knock the Flames,Im an Albertan though and though and lived in rural Alberta my whole life,Ive got lots of buds from Calgary and have been to some Flames games.The place was rocking,the whole rink dressed in red,Johney Cashs Ring of Fire blaring for tunes.An intiminating place to play for any opposing team.It was an incredible franchise,one of a kind.Then King firing Sutter{AT FRICKIN XMAS YET}and replacing him with a US lawyer.And its snowballed from there.Out with another Alberta boy in Brett and in comes Feasters sons godfather from Quebec.Yadda yadda yadda..anyway somehow I just dont see the type of players they are bringing in suiting the history of THE SEA of RED."Oh no,its Hudler and Wideman,dont skate around with your heads down boys".It just doesnt fit.And they are yours for 4 years,top dollar,NMCs and all.Its Feasters and Companys team now,the only thing Alberta about it is the location.

Call us back when you are sober...

Big deal. The Jets have 1 of the richest men in the world as an owner.

The GM is known for being KLowe's stooge. If that's what passes for respect?

A president that POed the league & has a beard in place while pulling the strings isn't much to brag about. His rings came as a player on a stacked team. Even Gretz didn't translate to a good coach or GM.

KLowe knows how to give offer sheets. Being targeted (especially with 2 @ a time) is different.

The 1st 5 Stanley Cups were with the Edmonton Oilers,the last one he played a big part in the Rangers breaking a 40 year drought.No small feat.

Tambi is actually known for being Director of Player personal for the 2002 Olympic team in Salt Lake City.Quite an honor.Lowe was the assistant executive director..They broke a 50year hockey drought for Canada by winning the Gold Medal.The whole country went nuts.Iggy was a huge part of that team.Remember him teaming up with Sakic for the game clentching goal in the Gold Medal game against the states.Tambi knows his hockey, played in the NHL and then groomed his son for his pro career.

Tambi knows his hockey, played in the NHL and then groomed his son for his pro career.

So what you are saying is that Tambellini is too busy with trying to help the advancement of his son to make a difference with the upgrade for the oilers?

Well... That took a lot of years so far...

Future GM, Yakupov-RNH-Eberle?

Wow, follow the flock much?

Gagner-Hall-Hemsky? Talk about throwing a line together.

Do you want Gagner and Hemsky to regress?

hint: match Hemsky and Yakupov together. God knows Hemsky has earned a guy that has his tempo and vision and can finish, he's the only Oiler that has been through all of the abject turmoil. Cut him some slack with a player better fitting his dynamic...for once in his career.

You played Khabibulin too much? Maybe because he had the torrid start.

Couldn't pull him.

Better hope he does the same and maintains.

Devan Dubnyk is your guy, though, and goaltending isn't at the top of concerns...hmmm, ever wonder what it is Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Pavelec, Brodeur, Thomas, Kiprusoff et. al. do for their teams??

You haven't had consistent help in goal since Dwayne Roloson, but convince yourselves it's fine. Well it's not fine, it's weird.

Kruger has stated that he likes players to play in pairs. The pairs he has stated are Gagner with Hemsky and RNH with Eberle. Hall and Yakupov are the floaters. He also said that he wants to try Hall at centre and Yakupov on the right side. That doesn't leave many options for the top 6.

Every goalie you listed plays on a defence first team. How come Bryzgalov went from Vezina candidate in Phoenix to utter disappointment in Philadelphia? How come Elliot and Smith were bounce back goalies of the year? Put two and two together.

I'll say that when Kiprusoff is having a good season, he's a game stealing goalie. There isn't many of those in the NHL. A goalie that can regularly when games he would otherwise lose is a great goalie. A lot of goalies that but up great stats play on teams that help them look great.

Dubnyk actually was a top 10 goalie in chances saved, not shots. Bryzgalov's agent was on the radio a few months ago and said that Dubnyk was top 10 in the legue for scoring chances saved. Hopefully he can keep it up but that is the type of goalie the Oilers need if they're going to play a style that best benefits the team's skill.

I said this before but you competely ignored it is the defence that was playing infront of the Oilers net last season. Peckham and Barker were two of the worst defencemen in the league. Teubert and Plante were not of NHL level yet and Whitney was far from the form he was in before he got injured the season before. That left the Oilers with 3 defencemen that could be considered top 4 on a bubble team with Smid, Petry, Gilbert/Schultz. Then the Oilers had a bunch of defencemen that should be healthy scratches or in the AHL in Peckham, Sutton, Potter, Teubert, Whitney, Plante, Chorney, Rodney, Barker.

For the Oilers defence to improve enough to have a shot at the playoffs, Smid will need to maintain his level of play, Petry will need to continue to progress, Whitney will need to regain most of his form at least being a top 4 guy, J.Schultz, will need protected minutes, N.Schultz will need to regularly play against the opponents best lines and not crack and the Oilers IMO should acquire another shut down defenceman to play with N.Schultz replacing Peckham and or moving Sutton and Potter to healthy scratch territory. Sounds like a lot but it was is expected of the defencemen in their situations.

Smid-Petry

- 1st pair, Smid played well last season and it is a contract year so should at least maintain. Petry is young and last season was his first full season in the NHL, he should improve.

Whitney-J.Schultz

- Sheltered offensive pair. Whitney knows he needs to improve and it's a contract year for him aswell. J.Schultz will need sheltered minutes and shouldn't be expected to do much 5 on 5 in his first season. He will be on the 1st PP.

Defensive defenceman(Lydman, Murray)-N.Schultz

- This will be the key pairing on the Oilers' success or lack there of. If they can regularly play well against the opponents best lines it will lessen the goals aginst for the Oilers.

EXTRA:Sutton-Potter

- These guys are fine if they aren't in the starting lineup. Sutton is a good physical defenceman and Potter is lackluster all around defenceman with a right hand shot.

Archived