Louis23

I think it's becoming sad what is happening in Edmonton. I thought a few years get a coule high picks and then start suplemtnting them would be fine, but now you are willing to wait a few MORE years for these guys to develop and then suplement needs?

As long as Tambi is there singing guys lik eEager, Barker, and Boulin to bad deals you can keep waiting in Edmonton. Drafting at the top of the draft is really the only thing keeping Edmonton relevant and so far they are showing no signs they want to stop doing that.

This is the last off-season I am giving Tambs and I have been a lot more patient than many.

He simply can not make a trade where he doesn't pillage the other team. It is the single factor that is going to flip the car on the rebuild road. If he does not close deals this off-season to get strong top D in place, that team is in big trouble because now the clock starts on the RFA contracts the following year. Hall comes up, Eberle comes up and they both can stick it to him with min term deals with intent to go UFA and who would blame them if the team is still in the gutter.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No they won't, they have no D or G. Saying that at this point is a big mistake. Now they may get D this off-season but you should not say this now…

You also are forgetting that the Conference will realign.

L.A.

Van

Sharks

Phx

Ducks

Avs

Cgy

Edm

Which of the top 4 are you going to displace? Phx - go through those rosters. Look at the Ducks with Hillier and the Perry line. They will be better next year on D. The Avs are rising.

Van, L.A., SJ are locked in.

The realignment does not help the Oilers - the two worst teams in the West - CBJ and the Wild are not even in the new conference.

Re-alignment will at the earliest be in the 2013-14 season. The schedule is already being made for the 2012-13 season.

This is the last off-season I am giving Tambs and I have been a lot more patient than many.

He simply can not make a trade where he doesn't pillage the other team. It is the single factor that is going to flip the car on the rebuild road. If he does not close deals this off-season to get strong top D in place, that team is in big trouble because now the clock starts on the RFA contracts the following year. Hall comes up, Eberle comes up and they both can stick it to him with min term deals with intent to go UFA and who would blame them if the team is still in the gutter.

It's the Flames are are going to have a hard time signing and keeping players. Most players and agents see the Oilers on the way up and the Flames on the way down.

Re-alignment will at the earliest be in the 2013-14 season. The schedule is already being made for the 2012-13 season.

Yes, Flame111 was wrong about the division - but that's bad news for the Oilers, not good news.

The western conference, as it stands now, is not a hospitable place for a team that wants to rise from the ashes.

Van, StL, Det, Chi, Nash, LA and SJ are givens.

That leaves one spot for Pho, Dal, Ana, Col, Minn, Edm and Cal (I think we can all agree to write off CBJ for next year). Of that group, the Oilers have the worst goaltending, the worst D, and challenge Ana and maybe Cal for the worst bottom 6 forwards.

So yeah, the chances of the Oil making the playoffs are maybe 1 in 5 at best.

So what Flame111 got right is that Hall and Eberle are going to hit their 2nd contracts without ever having seen the playoffs.

If people think Tambi has done a lousy job to date (and they would be totally right in thinking that), just wait until the lid comes off the strawberry-can that is contract re-negotiations.

(And before you ask, no, I don't like the Flames chances of making the playoffs at this point either. But again, we'll have to wait and see what both teams do this off-season.)

I feel nothing but shame when I open "NHL Talk", in the adrenalin of the playoffs, and see a thread titled "Oilers", on a Flames board.

Obviously I'm guilty too.

But shouldn't we shut this in?

Or move it to The Golf Thread until the Cup is awarded?

There will be plenty of time to laugh later.

Yes, Flame111 was wrong about the division - but that's bad news for the Oilers, not good news.

The western conference, as it stands now, is not a hospitable place for a team that wants to rise from the ashes.

Van, StL, Det, Chi, Nash, LA and SJ are givens.

That leaves one spot for Pho, Dal, Ana, Col, Minn, Edm and Cal (I think we can all agree to write off CBJ for next year). Of that group, the Oilers have the worst goaltending, the worst D, and challenge Ana and maybe Cal for the worst bottom 6 forwards.

So yeah, the chances of the Oil making the playoffs are maybe 1 in 5 at best.

So what Flame111 got right is that Hall and Eberle are going to hit their 2nd contracts without ever having seen the playoffs.

If people think Tambi has done a lousy job to date (and they would be totally right in thinking that), just wait until the lid comes off the strawberry-can that is contract re-negotiations.

(And before you ask, no, I don't like the Flames chances of making the playoffs at this point either. But again, we'll have to wait and see what both teams do this off-season.)

I disagree.

Detroit and San Jose are not the same teams they used to be. There star players are getting older. Not sure if they're poised to take a significant step back but they are receding.

That's a stretch.

BPA, right?

When I said "far from the safest bet as a 1st overall pick" I meant in the sense of his NHL career. Obviously it's basically a 99% chance that Yakupov goes first.

You're stretching. He played two seasons in the OHL putting up great numbers until he got injured. Maybe if he was playing in Russia but he's already proven himself in the playing the North American game.

There is much risk for him being a bust as Stamkos. The risk is him playing in Russia.

PLENTY of good forwards have put up similar numbers only to fail. After he gets selected, it doesn't matter whether he was drafted 1st or 210th. It's how he develops later. Just because he happens to put up great numbers does not make him a shoo-in.

Would you consider Nikolai Zherdev to be a defendable pick? He's playing in Russia, but he was pretty good in the NHL. By that logic, he's not a draft bust, he's just not playing for one of the 30 teams in the best league in the world.

I feel he has a great chance at becoming a perennial PPG player. Does not mean he has no chance to bust. Every 1st overall pick over the past decade had a chance to bust, or at least fail to completely meet expectations. Just because recently the NHL's hit homeruns in the draft does not mean that it is impossible to miss on the first pick.

I disagree.

Detroit and San Jose are not the same teams they used to be. There star players are getting older. Not sure if they're poised to take a significant step back but they are receding.

They may be receeding (though people have been saying that about Detroit for 3 or 4 years) but there is still a giant chasm between them and the 29th place Oilers.

If you think adding Yakupov to the 3rd line (assuming Eberle and Hemsky play RW on the top 2 lines) is going to somehow catapolt the Oilers past Detroit, well good luck to ya.

(and I already discussed SJ in my prior post)

Edmonton will make the playoffs in the 2012-13 season.

Going to need alot of work. I can't say no becuase there is the whole offseason but there have so many needs I cna't see it. 2 top 4 dmen, top 6 forward, 3/4 effective 3rd 4th liners and better goaltending is alot to pick up in one offseason. To get all of that and assume you can leave 4/5 teams above you is very optimistic IMO. It's not like you can expect more out of RNH/Hall/Eberle, they got the playe they wanted out of their kids, its just their supporting cast is terrible.

When I said "far from the safest bet as a 1st overall pick" I meant in the sense of his NHL career. Obviously it's basically a 99% chance that Yakupov goes first.

PLENTY of good forwards have put up similar numbers only to fail. After he gets selected, it doesn't matter whether he was drafted 1st or 210th. It's how he develops later. Just because he happens to put up great numbers does not make him a shoo-in.

Would you consider Nikolai Zherdev to be a defendable pick? He's playing in Russia, but he was pretty good in the NHL. By that logic, he's not a draft bust, he's just not playing for one of the 30 teams in the best league in the world.

I feel he has a great chance at becoming a perennial PPG player. Does not mean he has no chance to bust. Every 1st overall pick over the past decade had a chance to bust, or at least fail to completely meet expectations. Just because recently the NHL's hit homeruns in the draft does not mean that it is impossible to miss on the first pick.

I posted it before but since 2000, there has only been one bust out of all the forwards who were drafted in the top 3.

Yakupov has insane skill combined with great hockey sense. If the Flames had the first pick he'd be hailed as the new first line right winger.

Not concerned if he would reach his potential. Slightly concerned about the KHL.

They may be receeding (though people have been saying that about Detroit for 3 or 4 years) but there is still a giant chasm between them and the 29th place Oilers.

If you think adding Yakupov to the 3rd line (assuming Eberle and Hemsky play RW on the top 2 lines) is going to somehow catapolt the Oilers past Detroit, well good luck to ya.

(and I already discussed SJ in my prior post)

No, I think the addition of Yakupoc making Gagner expendible for a defenceman and the pressure on management will put the Oilers in a position to be in the playoffs.

Going to need alot of work. I can't say no becuase there is the whole offseason but there have so many needs I cna't see it. 2 top 4 dmen, top 6 forward, 3/4 effective 3rd 4th liners and better goaltending is alot to pick up in one offseason. To get all of that and assume you can leave 4/5 teams above you is very optimistic IMO. It's not like you can expect more out of RNH/Hall/Eberle, they got the playe they wanted out of their kids, its just their supporting cast is terrible.

Oilers have four 2nd pairing or top 4 defencemen already in Smid, Petry, Smid, Schultz. Oilers need to add another defensive defenceman and an offensive defenceman.

Goaltending is in the hands of Dubnyk and Khabibulin. Dubnyk was much improved from January on. Hopefully he can take the next step in his development.

I wouldn't say the Oilers need to upgrade their bottom 6 as much as upgrading their toughess.

Oilers have four 2nd pairing or top 4 defencemen already in Smid, Petry, Smid, Schultz. Oilers need to add another defensive defenceman and an offensive defenceman.

Goaltending is in the hands of Dubnyk and Khabibulin. Dubnyk was much improved from January on. Hopefully he can take the next step in his development.

I wouldn't say the Oilers need to upgrade their bottom 6 as much as upgrading their toughess.

That optimisim will serve you well if you believe the Oilers will make the playoffs.

Smid, Petry, Schultz are good 4/5 dmen but not 4 plus they have Whitney and that's it and that's provided he actually players, thus 2 top 4 dmen. Toughess and some speed on the 3/4 lines are needed and I would upgrade over Dubnyk if I were you. NOt a starting goalie IMO.

It's not out of the question the OIlers can start dealing some of their prospects and fill these needs. Do they want to do that, and do you trust Tambellini can actually make a good deal?

That optimisim will serve you well if you believe the Oilers will make the playoffs.

Smid, Petry, Schultz are good 4/5 dmen but not 4 plus they have Whitney and that's it and that's provided he actually players, thus 2 top 4 dmen. Toughess and some speed on the 3/4 lines are needed and I would upgrade over Dubnyk if I were you. NOt a starting goalie IMO.

It's not out of the question the OIlers can start dealing some of their prospects and fill these needs. Do they want to do that, and do you trust Tambellini can actually make a good deal?

You probably don't watch many nor care to pay attention to the progress of Oilers.

Petry - He has an all-around game and took a huge step in his development in the second half of the year. He showed signs of top pairing potential.

Smid - Was the Oilers most consistent defenceman from start to finish. Showed that he can be a shutdown defenceman.

Schultz - He's really good defensively, similar to Bouwmeester. He skates well and has the ability to settle down the play in the defensive zone.

Whitney - He took a serious step back. In his short showing in the 2010-11 season, he had 27 points in 35 games. he was a shadow of that in 2011-12. If he can re-gain the form of 2010-11, he is a top pairing defenceman. If he forever lost some of that, he should recover enough to be of 2nd paring quality.

Dubnyk - He was solid in the second half of the season. the question is was that a hot streak or an evolution in his development. Oilers are giving him the opportunity to run with it. The difference between Dubnyk and what happened with the Leafs and Reimer is that Dubnyk will at least have a veteran backup to take some heat off of him if he runs into a cold streak.

Bottom 6 - Horcoff, Smyth, Hemsky(maybe), Belanger, Jones, Paajarvi, Lander and Hartikainen. There isn't a lack of speed, defensive awareness or faceoff ability. The main thing is there isn't much toughness.

Here's what I'm hoping the Oilers lines look like at the beginning of next season.

BIG BODY-RNH-Eberle

BIG BODY-Hall-Yakupov

Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky

Smyth-Belanger-Eager

EXTRA:Lander,Paajarvi

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Defensive Defenceman

Schultz-Offensive Defenceman

EXTRA:Sutton-Potter

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

There are players I'd like the Oilers to target and I think they would put them over the top to be in the playoffs.

Oilers need to put together a 3rd line that can shut down... not a 3rd scoring line.

That seems to be a common denominator among the top teams.

That ability to shut down games will gain you guys a lot of pts in the close gms over a course of a season.

I think the forward prospect depth of the Oilers will lead to the temptation to go 3 scoring lines and try to win that way... which will at least be an exciting brand of hockey for all of us as fans to see.

But i don't think it will land that playoff spot you covet.

Can't to see the direction they go this off season.

i don't know Conner... which players presently make up the checking line for the Oilers?

i.e.. who you got playing vs the Sedins or Crosby or Hossa-Toews-Kane lines?

Oilers need to put together a 3rd line that can shut down... not a 3rd scoring line.

That seems to be a common denominator among the top teams.

That ability to shut down games will gain you guys a lot of pts in the close gms over a course of a season.

I think the forward prospect depth of the Oilers will lead to the temptation to go 3 scoring lines and try to win that way... which will at least be an exciting brand of hockey for all of us as fans to see.

But i don't think it will land that playoff spot you covet.

Can't to see the direction they go this off season.

i don't know Conner... which players presently make up the checking line for the Oilers?

i.e.. who you got playing vs the Sedins or Crosby or Hossa-Toews-Kane lines?

Oilers have two centres and a developing centre that would be the shut down type in Horcoff, Belanger and Lander.

Smyth and Jones could be shutdown wingers. Paajarvi is sound defensively but probably not a shut down guy.

You probably don't watch many nor care to pay attention to the progress of Oilers.

Petry - He has an all-around game and took a huge step in his development in the second half of the year. He showed signs of top pairing potential.

Smid - Was the Oilers most consistent defenceman from start to finish. Showed that he can be a shutdown defenceman.

Schultz - He's really good defensively, similar to Bouwmeester. He skates well and has the ability to settle down the play in the defensive zone.

Whitney - He took a serious step back. In his short showing in the 2010-11 season, he had 27 points in 35 games. he was a shadow of that in 2011-12. If he can re-gain the form of 2010-11, he is a top pairing defenceman. If he forever lost some of that, he should recover enough to be of 2nd paring quality.

Dubnyk - He was solid in the second half of the season. the question is was that a hot streak or an evolution in his development. Oilers are giving him the opportunity to run with it. The difference between Dubnyk and what happened with the Leafs and Reimer is that Dubnyk will at least have a veteran backup to take some heat off of him if he runs into a cold streak.

Bottom 6 - Horcoff, Smyth, Hemsky(maybe), Belanger, Jones, Paajarvi, Lander and Hartikainen. There isn't a lack of speed, defensive awareness or faceoff ability. The main thing is there isn't much toughness.

Here's what I'm hoping the Oilers lines look like at the beginning of next season.

BIG BODY-RNH-Eberle

BIG BODY-Hall-Yakupov

Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky

Smyth-Belanger-Eager

EXTRA:Lander,Paajarvi

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Defensive Defenceman

Schultz-Offensive Defenceman

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

There are players I'd like the Oilers to target and I think they would put them over the top to be in the playoffs.

Here's what I'd like the Oilers to look like next season:

Eberle-RNH-Doan

Ott-Hall-Yakupov

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Eager-Belanger-Jones

EXTRA:?

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich

Schultz-Schultz

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

I think this would be a team capable of making the playoffs. Do you?

Eberle-RNH-Doan

Ott-Hall-Yakupov

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Eager-Belanger-Jones

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich

Schultz-Schultz

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

just two things glaring at me, 1. how do you plan on getting Doan on your team?

and 2. how did Schultz clone himself? lol

Eberle-RNH-Doan

Ott-Hall-Yakupov

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Eager-Belanger-Jones

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich

Schultz-Schultz

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

Nope!

just two things glaring at me, 1. how do you plan on getting Doan on your team?

and 2. how did Schultz clone himself? lol

:lol:

Eberle-RNH-Doan

Ott-Hall-Yakupov

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Eager-Belanger-Jones

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich

Schultz-Schultz

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

What a garbage line up!

First fix the goalie

then the D

now move on the 3rd and 4th lines

Top 2 are good but small and vulnerable

Another 10 years and they should compete.....for a playoff spot

The first two lines have more heart and integrity than the entire Canuck roster.

True

but the 3rd, 4th, D and goal tending got them into the playoffs ;) just say'n

Connor, It's not that I don't like the Oilers but their is so much to do before they become competitive.

I have said this before.....The Oilers have had it easy. They tanked and drafted the best players, Now they have to put together a team that WILL compete.

Doan is UFA. If Phoenix moves I'd like the Oilers to sign him.

He has stated that he would rather retire than go somewhere else. His kids were born in Phoenix, and he has a big spread with horses etc and he is happy there. I know it is not unusual for people to say one thing and then do something entirely different, but he was asked about re-joining the Jets - and even to go back to Winnipeg with that fun atmosphere and where he would have been revered, he was not even slightly interested.

No chance he goes to Edmonton.

And that lineup doesn't make the playoffs, even if he did.

Connor, no matter how many times people try to explain to you the importance of goaltending and defensive depth, you just keep coming back with the same lineup and claiming that it's better than people think. I hope Tambi feels the same way!

He has stated that he would rather retire than go somewhere else. His kids were born in Phoenix, and he has a big spread with horses etc and he is happy there. I know it is not unusual for people to say one thing and then do something entirely different, but he was asked about re-joining the Jets - and even to go back to Winnipeg with that fun atmosphere and where he would have been revered, he was not even slightly interested.

No chance he goes to Edmonton.

And that lineup doesn't make the playoffs, even if he did.

Connor, no matter how many times people try to explain to you the importance of goaltending and defensive depth, you just keep coming back with the same lineup and claiming that it's better than people think. I hope Tambi feels the same way!

2011-12

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Paajarvi-Gagner-Jones

Eager-Belanger-Lander

EXTRA:Hordichuk,Petrell,Omark,Hartikainen,VandeVelde

2012-13

Eberle-RNH-Doan(1)

(2)Ott-Hall-Yakupov

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky

Eager-Belanger-Jones

EXTRA:Petrell, Paajarvi, Lander, Hartikainen

- Forwards are significantly improved from last season. Hall will likely be moved to centre with the arrival of Yakupov. Ott adds a physical, aggitative element along with faceoff ability. Doan/someone else would add toughness, leadership and scoring. Horcoff plays a better suited position as a shutdown centre. Belanger and Jones can take the majority of draws in the defensive zone. The Oilers will have depth on the farm with Paajarvi, Lander and Hartikainen being able to contribute in any top 9 role.

2011-12

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Gilbert

Sutton-Pottter

EXTRA:Barker,Peckham,Teubert,Plante,Chorney

2012-13

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich(3)

Schultz-Schultz(4)

- Barker played in 25 games last season. He did not turn out to be a fruitful reclamation project and often hurt the team with his defensive play. Peckham did not contribute to the defence offensively or defensively. The Oilers signing of Sarich or a similar defenceman will bring a huge defensive upgrade over Peckham. Justin Schultz should add several more points than Barker did and add an element to the Oilers powerplay. Sutton and Potter are the Oilers depth defencemen and Teubert, Plante and Fedun will be the Oilers first call ups from the AHL.

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

- Khabibulin started as the starter last season. Dubnyk will likely be the starter this coming season. If Dubnyk can continue how he played in the second half of the season, it will be an improvment. If he regresses, the Oilers fate will lie in a 40 year old goaltender.

2012-13

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Sarich(3)

Schultz-Schultz(4)

- Barker played in 25 games last season. He did not turn out to be a fruitful reclamation project and often hurt the team with his defensive play. Peckham did not contribute to the defence offensively or defensively. The Oilers signing of Sarich or a similar defenceman will bring a huge defensive upgrade over Peckham. Justin Schultz should add several more points than Barker did and add an element to the Oilers powerplay. Sutton and Potter are the Oilers depth defencemen and Teubert, Plante and Fedun will be the Oilers first call ups from the AHL.

Dubnyk

Khabibulin

- Khabibulin started as the starter last season. Dubnyk will likely be the starter this coming season. If Dubnyk can continue how he played in the second half of the season, it will be an improvment. If he regresses, the Oilers fate will lie in a 40 year old goaltender.

Justin Schultz signing in Edmonton is about as possible as Gordie Howe making another return to the NHL. Not completely out of the question, but the odds are even worse than the odds the oddsmakers gave to the Flames at making the postseason just a few weeks out. Which was around 2%.

He's got no connection to Edmonton. Why would he sign there? This is merely a "Hoping for the best" lineup. Doan won't move to Edmonton after all his years in the Jets/Coyotes organization, etc.

You're pinning your playoff hopes on a 40 year old Russian goalie and an unproven 26 (soon to be 27) year old who has yet to put together anything resembling a borderline starting netminder's play. Quite the reliable duo you have there. It's only slightly worse off than the Blackhawks and arguably on the same level as a team like the Leafs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Hawks have a far superior lineup to Edmonton, and they only finished 6th. What makes you think that a team with less forward depth, less top end defensemen, and an inferior set of goaltenders will push into that 7th/8th seed? And don't fool yourself, even if the Oilers compete for a spot that's as high as they will go. Anything higher would be a disgrace to the Coyotes and Kings of the NHL.

We already tried Sarich on the second pairing. That would have worked maybe 3 years ago, but he's not good enough to be a consistent top 4 defender, and if that's the kind of guy the Oilers are going to rely on for that big acquisition on D, I feel real bad for your fans.

Doan is UFA. If Phoenix moves I'd like the Oilers to sign him.

I also hope the Oilers sign Justin Schultz and he can be paired with Nick Schultz.

Why?

Johnny covered your lack of G, D & 3rd & 4rd lines.

C_Worthy explained why you're not getting Doan.

Crzy tells why Justin Schultz is unlikely & that Sarich is not your answer on the 2nd D pairing.

Thanks guys. :)

That leaves Ott. The new Stars owner has given the team stability again & authorized Nieuwendyk to spend some money to improve. Ott is on a reasonable contract for 2 more years so will likely be kept unless the trade brings an overpayment. BTW, you didn't mention what you think the Oilers would be trading for him. :)

Archived