Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

After getting rid of the supposed cancers in the room, (Hall & Eberle) it appears there is still a "don't really give a damn attitude" in the dressing room.

All that talent and they just give up... I can hardly wait for Jan 25...

I think all they want to do playing at home is score goals.  They have the worst PP and PK at home.  When they are killing penalties, all they want to do i cheat towards offense.  Great that McDavid and Draisaitl love to get shorties, but they need to stop just trying to score goals.  They are hanging their goalies out to dry every night.

The "Orange Crush" effect that they were selling last year is stale.  They hit more than any other team, yet it's done to satisfy the fans.  If they were focused on playing the game with the speed some players have, they would win more.

I think they have something like 10 more losses before the math doesn't add up to a playoff appearance.  The players seem to think there is no reason to play for 9th in the West.  Between Draisaitl and Bennett, who would you rather have now?  Sure we could use the goals, but I at least Bennett does other things when he isn't scoring.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think all they want to do playing at home is score goals.  They have the worst PP and PK at home.  When they are killing penalties, all they want to do i cheat towards offense.  Great that McDavid and Draisaitl love to get shorties, but they need to stop just trying to score goals.  They are hanging their goalies out to dry every night.

The "Orange Crush" effect that they were selling last year is stale.  They hit more than any other team, yet it's done to satisfy the fans.  If they were focused on playing the game with the speed some players have, they would win more.

I think they have something like 10 more losses before the math doesn't add up to a playoff appearance.  The players seem to think there is no reason to play for 9th in the West.  Between Draisaitl and Bennett, who would you rather have now?  Sure we could use the goals, but I at least Bennett does other things when he isn't scoring.

I guess you mean impossible to make the playoffs. From what I gather, they need to win 7/10 of their remaining games. I don't see that happening. 

It could be something about the new arena.

Quote from Poltergeist Edmonton Journal

These souls, who for whatever reason are not at rest, are also not aware that they have passed on. They're not part of consciousness as we know it. They linger in a perpetual dream state, a nightmare from which they can not awake. Inside the spectral light is salvation, a window to the next plane. They must pass through this membrane where friends are waiting to guide them to new destinies teams. Carol Anne Chiarelli must help them cross over, and she he will only hear her his mother's voice. Now... hold on to yourselves. There's one more thing. A terrible presence is in there with her him. So much rage, so much betrayal, I've never sensed anything like it. I don't know what hovers over this house arena, but it was strong enough to punch a hole into this world and take your daughter team away from you. 

7 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I guess you mean impossible to make the playoffs. From what I gather, they need to win 7/10 of their remaining games. I don't see that happening. 

It could be something about the new arena.

Quote from Poltergeist Edmonton Journal

They have to go something like 29-11 over the remaining games to get the proverbial 97 points.  Or 28-9-2.

Every loss or Loser Oiler point means they need to win the remaining at a higher pace.  Loser points to a Western team are even more deadly.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have to go something like 29-11 over the remaining games to get the proverbial 97 points.  Or 28-9-2.

Every loss or Loser Oiler point means they need to win the remaining at a higher pace.  Loser points to a Western team are even more deadly.

That is why I always hesitate to proclaim McDavid "the best player in the league" at this point. He has a lot of talent, but it takes more than talent to be the best. You need to produce, sacrifice, be patient, self-motivated, and lead to get this title. Being amazingly fast and productive is just not enough especially when the average player in the league is very fast and skilled at defensive strategies (except for Oiler defence :P).

33 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was kind of hoping that the Oilers would win this afternoon given that they were playing the Hawks. They lost 4-1 making our lives a little more difficult. 

There is never ever any "Hoping the Oilers would win" in my house.

The mantra here is "ABO" anyone but Oilers.....

20 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was kind of hoping that the Oilers would win this afternoon given that they were playing the Hawks. They lost 4-1 making our lives a little more difficult. 

We (me included) thought pre-season that LA, SJ & Anahim were weaker & that LVK would be a gimme 2 points so the Alberta teams should fight over spots 1 & 2 in the Pacific.

The Central was sure to be weaker but Calgary is the only Pacific team within sniffing distance of a wildcard spot.

With over 1/2 the games played those forcasts don't look so hot.

3 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

There is never ever any "Hoping the Oilers would win" in my house.

The mantra here is "ABO" anyone but Oilers.....

Okay, I wanted the Hawks to lose today. :D

I am interested in what Chiarelli plans to do about the situation. Will they dump another #1 pick? Will Talbot be placed on waivers? Was there a warranty clause in recent trades to allow the Oilers to get back Eberle and Hall for Strome and Larsson? Will they start a new rebuild?

10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

We (me included) thought pre-season that LA, SJ & Anahim were weaker & that LVK would be a gimme 2 points so the Alberta teams should fight over spots 1 & 2 in the Pacific.

The Central was sure to be weaker but Calgary is the only Pacific team within sniffing distance of a wildcard spot.

With over 1/2 the games played those forcasts don't look so hot.

Had I made predictions for the conference at the beginning of the year, I would be eating crow for weeks. No way I would have predicted LVK and the Kings to be in the top 5 of the conference. I expected the Oilers to be better, although I was never quite convinced that they were cup contenders. Everyone thought that it would be a dog fight to get into the playoffs, and that it will come down to the very last games. At the same time, I thought that there would be more separation between teams at the half way mark.

I was listening to Flames radio today, and they were all over the Oilers. They interviewed a reporter in Edmonton who covers the Oilers. He argued that McLellan should not be fired as he was the first real coach with a solid track record in the NHL. Rather, he thought that Chiarelli should be scrutinized more carefully. Earlier in the day, Warrener said that regardless of who is responsible for their play, it will be hard for McLellan to be heard in the dressing room for the rest of this year, and possibly next year. They were all solid points. 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was listening to Flames radio today, and they were all over the Oilers. They interviewed a reporter in Edmonton who covers the Oilers. He argued that McLellan should not be fired as he was the first real coach with a solid track record in the NHL. Rather, he thought that Chiarelli should be scrutinized more carefully. Earlier in the day, Warrener said that regardless of who is responsible for their play, it will be hard for McLellan to be heard in the dressing room for the rest of this year, and possibly next year. They were all solid points. 

If they decide to fire Todd, they are the most inept bunch of old boy ever to touch a hockey club.  The coach tried what he could, but PC made the moves that poisoned the team.  Two big moves that had different levels of success.  Hall was one of the best players they ever had and they couldn't do trade him for anything more than Larsson?  He;s a good player, but not a franchise player.  He stabilized part of the blueline.  Just not enough.  Last year, the team overachieved.  Every marginal star had career years.

McDavid and Talbot put the team on a pedestal.  There was little chance they could repeat, but PC felt they just needed to get rid of the under-performer from the playoffs - Eberle.  He was the problem.

PC has more to do with the downfall of this team than anyone else.  Talbot is having an average season.  McDavid is getting lots of secondary assists, but not winning games on his own.  They paid Draisaitl like he's a #1C, but he played more as a winger.  They blew the cap space saved by trading Eberle by overpaying Russell.  No replacing the missing goals from Hall and Eberle.  No big D-man brought in as a UFA.  They believe in the bigger-meaner team that now is facing the challenges of other teams built that way; where are the goals.  Where is the team speed.

The Oilers are sucking big time.  The GM arrogance is the reason for it.  The team's arrogance for thinking they were all that and a bag of chips is causing them to give up this early.     

The Oilers were too jacked when they drafted McSaviour. One player can only do so much, and he can only do so much at such an early age. They should have treated him like an important piece that still needed to develop and mature in the league. Instead, they put the C on his jersey and expected him to lead with his play. That is too much pressure to put on the guy given the team had a long-standing problems. The Oilers had better get their organization together before the thought of being traded enters his head. Right now, it looks as though a lot of them have checked out entirely. I am always reminded of Hartley's thoughts on the importance of building a winning culture. If you tank to get a better player, there is a significant cost attached.

I think that PC has a lot of blame to share. At times, GMs do have to make hard decisions to move the team forward. I understand the desire to move Hall. The return was rather weak though. Maybe that was all that he could get for him at the time, but that seems hard to believe. To salary dump a player like Eberle is indicative of poor management. To turn around and give the money to Russell magnifies the problem. The Oilers are notorious for needlessly overpaying players. Again, I realize that a lot of players don't want to go there, and there is a premium that they have to pay. When they called out McDavid's name and he was obviously beaming with glee, you would assume that that impediment was removed.

It is unfortunate that the battle of Alberta has not been what many of us wanted. That was some of the most exciting hockey I can remember.

41 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Funny... We complain a lot about the refs too. 

Love. 

I don't use it as an excuse for losing.  In fact, I'm happy when we don't get PP's.  Less waste of time.  We are better 5v5 and 4v5.  Bad calls are a part of the game.  One-sided games are more annoying than a single missed or excessive call.

3 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

How about Saturday night?

- 2nd game of a B2B.

- In Las Vegas

- On McDavid's 21st birthday.

- Last game before their bye week.

Could be a recipe for disaster.

I would think that they could take Arizona. As I just said in the GDT though, it is easy to take such teams too lightly. At some point, I expect the Oilers to relax knowing the playoffs are not in sight, and then to start playing well.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

How about Saturday night?

- 2nd game of a B2B.

- In Las Vegas

- On McDavid's 21st birthday.

- Last game before their bye week.

Could be a recipe for disaster.

He's already gearing up for the big party, bottle service, dancing girls and looking for a retirement home.

Find it interesting that TSN reports the Oilers win as front page stuff, even though it was a win against the worst team in the NHL.

Not exactly an important story, but I guess that McJesus doing anything is click bait.

Huge win, big turnaround coming.

Best player in the world.

Comeback of the year.

Only 10 more regulation losses before they are eliminated from the playoffs.  Could be as early as the 2nd week of February.

Archived