Louis23

The Flames can match an offer sheet. The Oiler's could put one forward just to screw with our cap, but that will set them up as a target with every other team. They don't want a bad president set for future contract negotiations with other players. Plus, of they go too high the pick cost will be too high.

It's moot though. Chances are we sign him tomorrow.

I doubt Hamilton will be OSed as I too figure he'll be signed before the 1st.

If not it'll take a really high offer so I'm fine with a midround 1st & 2 late 2nds for 4 picks in the 1st round.

It would not only set up the Oilers as a target when Nurse, LD or even McDavid come due but by then those $6 million hits for the previous "Golden Children" come due so they have more decisions. For now they see rainbows & unicorns but there are raptors ready to swoop.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree the Oilers need to fix their D but I don't agree at all that no goalie can go there and have success simply because of that D. I think anyone who watched the Oilers will tell you that yes defence is bad but they got well below starting calibre goalie play last year. Edmonton was 20th in the league last year for shots against at 30 shot against/game and Calgary was not that far ahead at 29.2. I understand the quality of shots against argument etc etc but when the best goalie you have cannot put up a save percentage of at least 90 in todays NHL you have a goalie issue no question about it. Goaltending was flat out horrible in Edmonton last year with or without that D core.

Now have the fixed it? I have my doubts that Talbot is the answer and yes the D needs to be fixed so it remains to be seen what the impact will be but I think there is no question that the Oilers addressed a major need in the net.

I don't disagree the Oilers need to fix their D but I don't agree at all that no goalie can go there and have success simply because of that D. I think anyone who watched the Oilers will tell you that yes defence is bad but they got well below starting calibre goalie play last year. Edmonton was 20th in the league last year for shots against at 30 shot against/game and Calgary was not that far ahead at 29.2. I understand the quality of shots against argument etc etc but when the best goalie you have cannot put up a save percentage of at least 90 in todays NHL you have a goalie issue no question about it. Goaltending was flat out horrible in Edmonton last year with or without that D core.

Now have the fixed it? I have my doubts that Talbot is the answer and yes the D needs to be fixed so it remains to be seen what the impact will be but I think there is no question that the Oilers addressed a major need in the net.

Fasth and Scribbler were both good backups.  A good backup may never become a good starter.  If you go from a good backup to a substandard goalie playing less than 40 games, then that should signal something about the defense.  If you watch highlights from a lot of games, you see a team bailing on defense, not just bad defense.  Exiting the zone without possession, bad reads, skating off the ice after a turnover....

They should have gone after a true starter and a backup, not a backup that could become a starter.

They got the one thing they couldn't screw up.  The rest is questionable.  That many picks for two players that may not make it seems a steep price to pay.  Talbot could be a great backup/starter or he could just be a very good backup.

They failed in doing anything for the future.  Their draft record and prospect pool is pretty bad.  They still have no top pairing defense.  They lost Petry and a good winger.  They will need to trade someone from the core to have a reasonable shot at being anywhere but bottom 5 this year.

Its not totally devoid:

Leon Draisaitl, Centre, 19 yrs, 6’2” 210lb, 2015 Memorial Cup Leading scorer and MVP, Drafted 3rd overall in 2014

Darnell Nurse, Defence, 20 yrs, 6’4” 205lb, 2015 World Junior Gold Medal and MVP, Drafted 7th overall in 2013

Griffin Reinhart, Defence, 21 yrs, 6’4” 212lb, 2014 Memorial Cup Champion, Drafted 4th overall in 2014

Larrent Brossoit, Goal, 22 yrs, 6’3” 202lb, Started all 4 games 2013 Memorial Cup was 1-3, Drafted 164th overall in 2011

Its not totally devoid:

Leon Draisaitl, Centre, 19 yrs, 6’2” 210lb, 2015 Memorial Cup Leading scorer and MVP, Drafted 3rd overall in 2014

Darnell Nurse, Defence, 20 yrs, 6’4” 205lb, 2015 World Junior Gold Medal and MVP, Drafted 7th overall in 2013

Griffin Reinhart, Defence, 21 yrs, 6’4” 212lb, 2014 Memorial Cup Champion, Drafted 4th overall in 2014

Larrent Brossoit, Goal, 22 yrs, 6’3” 202lb, Started all 4 games 2013 Memorial Cup was 1-3, Drafted 164th overall in 2011

That's more than decent prospects @ the 3 key positions.

The Oilers problem is in the now & Chia seems to be chiselling away @ inproving the lack of D & G.

I love the fact that the Oilers just paid as much for Andrej Sekera as the Flames did for Dougie Hamilton. I guess they have McDavid and yes that would be exciting but IMO the Flames are easily the better team right now and its not that close.

I love the fact that the Oilers just paid as much for Andrej Sekera as the Flames did for Dougie Hamilton. I guess they have McDavid and yes that would be exciting but IMO the Flames are easily the better team right now and its not that close.

we do have them better team, Better defense, Better goaltending, and a better system of play/identity.

Sekera will be their #1D.  Most teams he would be a 3/4.  That part is sad.

I like Draisaitl and Nurse as prospects, but will hold off on rating them till they have at least a full year in the NHL.  Brossoit is tracking to be no better than Bachman.  Reinhart is interesting.  He may end up being something in the future.

They signed yet another backup goalie to be a starter (unless they aren't done yet).  They really need to find an experienced starter to give them stability through the rebuild.  Talbot should grow into that role, not have it handed to him.

I would've liked the Flames to go after Eric Gryba.  He's a bit of a loose canon but he's RHS RD can play in Engellend's spot for 2.5x less money.  He provides more toughness, hitting, and intimidation than Engellend.  Younger and faster as well.

Sekeras is Dennis Wideman's level but he's going to be their #1D.  It's an upgrade nonetheless.  As long as they don't have Ference playing top pair minutes, it's an improvement. 

Is Schultz coming back?

I've got Nurse making their team next season.  Maybe a 3rd pair guy to start the season for them.  Which means their first pair looks like Klefbom-Sekeras but both are LHS LD.  Maybe second pair of Ference-Fayne.  And then Nurse-Gryba?  What about Nikitin?  Where does he factor in?  He's paid too much to not play in the top 3.  Does Griffin Reinhart start with the Oilers on opening day?

I would've liked the Flames to go after Eric Gryba.  He's a bit of a loose canon but he's RHS RD can play in Engellend's spot for 2.5x less money.  He provides more toughness, hitting, and intimidation than Engellend.  Younger and faster as well.

Sekeras is Dennis Wideman's level but he's going to be their #1D.  It's an upgrade nonetheless.  As long as they don't have Ference playing top pair minutes, it's an improvement. 

Is Schultz coming back?

I've got Nurse making their team next season.  Maybe a 3rd pair guy to start the season for them.  Which means their first pair looks like Klefbom-Sekeras but both are LHS LD.  Maybe second pair of Ference-Fayne.  And then Nurse-Gryba?  What about Nikitin?  Where does he factor in?  He's paid too much to not play in the top 3.  Does Griffin Reinhart start with the Oilers on opening day?

Schultz is coming back.  Nikitin is still on the team.  TBH, there is no room for Nurse at the moment, like it or not.  Same with Reinhart.

You like have Sekera-Fayne, Klefbom-Schultz, Nikitin-Ference, Ex. Gryba.  No room, and TBH, they both need pro experience.  There is no rush, as they won't be making the playoffs any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Schultz is coming back.  Nikitin is still on the team.  TBH, there is no room for Nurse at the moment, like it or not.  Same with Reinhart.

You like have Sekera-Fayne, Klefbom-Schultz, Nikitin-Ference, Ex. Gryba.  No room, and TBH, they both need pro experience.  There is no rush, as they won't be making the playoffs any time soon.

Well you've definitely got history on your side.

But McDavid could put them over the edge, imho.  And Nurse could easily crack that lineup you have above.  He's already got NHL games under his belt.  Not sure about Griffin but don't be surprised if both crack it.  Even without injury.  Which will happen.

^^^

If every team had to play only their 25 & under players Edmonton might have a chance.

Except a lot of teams have good under 25 players in the NHL now @ D & G.

Most of the Oilers under 25 are top draft picks so a lot of teams they'd be facing are those that let their prospects learn rather than be rushed. Prospects suplemented by the few graduates to the NHL.

I'd actually like to see a preseason tourney where you can only use players 25 & under. Buffalo looks good with E Kane, RoR & a few that got their feet wet. Jets have Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry & some pretty good kids in junior or AHL which has THN picking them as having the deepest pool of prospects.

I won't bother mentioning the 1s the Flames would have available as we all know them.

Well you've definitely got history on your side.

But McDavid could put them over the edge, imho.  And Nurse could easily crack that lineup you have above.  He's already got NHL games under his belt.  Not sure about Griffin but don't be surprised if both crack it.  Even without injury.  Which will happen.

Nurse has a grand total or 2 NHL games.  4 AHL games.  Nurse looked overwhelmed last year when he played for the Oilers. 

Reinhart has 8 NHL games under his belt. 

Who do they unseat?  Their captain?  Nikitin?  If he gets bought out, you will likey see Gryba.  At this point does it make sense to park them in the pressbox?  They need to play big minutes.

I need the Oilers to get better so bad I can taste it.

Me too because I don't want them to get another first overall pick. Auston Matthews is coming up next year and with the oiler's luck at the draft lottery, it may not be too farfetched to think they get 1st OAP again!!

I need the Oilers to get better so bad I can taste it.

Me too because I don't want them to get another first overall pick. Auston Matthews is coming up next year and with the oiler's luck at the draft lottery, it may not be too farfetched to think they get 1st OAP again!!

May I offer you some copper and gold koolade?  The Oilers are the kings of the off-season, where they raise expectations to a new level.  At this rate, by the time the team is relevent again, Hall and Nuge will be on their 3rd contracts.

I hope they do the rest of the league a favour and actually play a NHL quality blueline this year.

Sekera - Fayne

Klefbom-Schultz

Ference-Nikitin

Gryba / Reinhart / Nurse

Looks like no room for Nurse right now.  Hopefully no one bails them out of Fayne, Nikitin or Ference's contracts...

According to some observers, the team-elected arbitration opens up the buyout window for them.  The fact that Jultz signed should start the ball rolling.  It's up for debate though, as I believe it reads that you have to have 2 arb cases, not just one.

According to some observers, the team-elected arbitration opens up the buyout window for them.  The fact that Jultz signed should start the ball rolling.  It's up for debate though, as I believe it reads that you have to have 2 arb cases, not just one.

I thought that was only if an award was given!

Damn it if you're right.

Personally I see the bottom falling out for all 4 wet (sic) coast teams. That allows for the Oilers to move up if Chia & McLennan handle things right.

LA is suffering from self inflicted wounds.

SJ is older & really can't afford to shuffle the deck unless a big $ player agreesby waiving his NMC/NTC.

Anaheim added cap in ex-Canucks including a 35+ for Bieska. Main players still young & a good pipeline but they didn't add enough to get them over the new hump caused by other western teams getting better. They'll probably finish tops in the Pacific again by default but will face new, improved challengers.

Vancouver traded their ready for prime time goalie yet again. Weaker in all positions they can't decide if they can finally get the clones a SC or if they are rebuilding.

The Oilers should finish higher in division/conference this year & games in March will actually have meaning for them again other than draft position. A lot of summer left & the trade deadline is even further if Chia assesses & trades those that won't buy in on a more structured system run by pros that don't see their draftees as pets.

After the renewal they are stuck with J Schultz but the other formerly untouchable golden 1s would still bring a decent return.

This season I figure they'll be on the cusp of the playoffs but fall short. The year after the BoA might have meaning again.

I think the oilers will be better this year but not scary until the following season. The 2016 season I could easily see the oilers being scary. This year I think they are too young and not deep enough to be a playoff team but next year they lose the Purcell and Nikitin contracts, another year of Mcdavid, and should have nurse, Reinhart and drasital all ready to play and spots to use them. Still some questions for sure but assuming they've got a starter in cam Talbot then he oilers could be a force in 2016. Having said I would say the same thing about the flames. The boa should be fantastic for they next several years.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron-maclean-nhl-phil-kessel-steven-stamkos-connor-mcdavid-oilers-toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-auston-matthews/

Well....with another 1st OA pick, (and a highly touted one at that), along with a whole re-alignment in management and coaching, the media is once again drinking the Oilers Kool-aid and gin cocktails.

Still waiting for Connor to come out of the weeds on this.

Archived