Louis23

Probably the smartest thing Edm could do would be to trade the pick and fill in their holes on the back end. They have enough power up front already

While trading the pick is an option, I don't think from an Oiler Fan perspective, that it would be the best thing to do.

I think the fan base would crucify any GM or person who traded away the next Gretzky. It would seriously be a suicide move.

All you need to do is go see the multiple threads already on their forums, all pointing to him being the savior for this team .... And they have not even drafted him yet....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Flames had the 1st overall pick,  as a fan would you consider trading him?  I actually would trade him for 

OEL, Domi, Gormley, (the 4th over all pick) and Arizona's next 2 first round picks.  But from an owners point of view the value you get in people wanting to see your team the what "if" the jersey sales etc......  The pick really is priceless,  and yes he could blow out a knee next series,  but he comes with the potential of seeing something people have never seen before.  Whether that happens or doesn't is what makes sports so great.    But it isn't just Mcdavid the Oilers are adding,  they have Nurse and Draisaitl with Mcdavid are 3 of probably the best 10 players in the CHL.  They have a 16th overall pick.  Could the Oilers still finish bottom 5 next year sure,  of course Vegas probably won't think so.  

If the Flames had the 1st overall pick,  as a fan would you consider trading him?  I actually would trade him for 

OEL, Domi, Gormley, (the 4th over all pick) and Arizona's next 2 first round picks.  But from an owners point of view the value you get in people wanting to see your team the what "if" the jersey sales etc......  The pick really is priceless,  and yes he could blow out a knee next series,  but he comes with the potential of seeing something people have never seen before.  Whether that happens or doesn't is what makes sports so great.    But it isn't just Mcdavid the Oilers are adding,  they have Nurse and Draisaitl with Mcdavid are 3 of probably the best 10 players in the CHL.  They have a 16th overall pick.  Could the Oilers still finish bottom 5 next year sure,  of course Vegas probably won't think so.  

Don't overvalue what the Oilers have in prospects, especially at the Junior level.  I could list a dozen better prospects than Draisaitl and many better D-men prospects than Nurse, even though I think Nurse will be a good player, given time.

The owner is licking his lips because he will get jersey sales, not playoffs.  The Oils will be the same team with a different GM and some different players, until they rid the team of the slackers, overpaid kids/bad contracts, and useless team personnel (scouts, etc.).

I doubt they will get $0.50 on the dollar for the overpaid ones that have done exactly squat.  No team is going to offer them the value that they believe these players are worth. Nor will teams line up to help them out of a bad situation.

Unless they throw the 1st overall into play.

Nurse is still not a bonafide #1 defenceman, the oilers top 4 is still a disaster, even with the addition of Nurse and Klefbom(if he plays as well next year as this year).

Also until they bring in a couple veteran guys into that top 6 forward group and find a goaltender I dont see any chance of the oilers making the playoffs on the back of Mcdavid, Mcjesus or whatever you want to call him.

Nurse is still not a bonafide #1 defenceman, the oilers top 4 is still a disaster, even with the addition of Nurse and Klefbom(if he plays as well next year as this year).

Also until they bring in a couple veteran guys into that top 6 forward group and find a goaltender I dont see any chance of the oilers making the playoffs on the back of Mcdavid, Mcjesus or whatever you want to call him.

I agree,  if the Oilers don't bring in 1 first pairing and 1 second pairing defenseman,  then there's almost no chance they make the playoffs next season.  Nurse will have ups and downs,  I do think Klefbom will improve but you still need a lot of depth add to that injuries,  Chiarelli has a lot to do,  as for the goaltending I think if you fix the defense the goaltending isn't as much of an issue,  Fasth, Scrivens, Dubnyk etc... all looks fine on teams with defense the problem with goalies as soon as you lose confidence you're going to let in bad goals,  and as soon as the defense doesn't trust there goalie they are going to play hot potato making even more turn overs.  It's a catch 22.  I don't expect the Oilers to come in and be a top 5 team in the west.  But I think they will be around 10th most of the season and maybe if they are lucky they will at least be competing for 1 of the wild card spots.  

I hate to say it, but McDavid will almost certainly be special. Nurse and Draisaitl are legitimately strong prospects. Hall, RNH, and Eberle are all either good players with the potential to be great or great trade chips. Plus they have decent management replacing the boys club.

So the steps are there to be good as early as next season, but more likely in a couple of seasons. Especially if they get Babcock.

That said, there is a lot of bad culture in place. Durability is a problem. Plus there are a crap tonne of holes on the roster.

Regardless. Any success they have is based on fluke luck going forward. Incompetence rewarded. Crappy.

I hate to say it, but McDavid will almost certainly be special. Nurse and Draisaitl are legitimately strong prospects. Hall, RNH, and Eberle are all either good players with the potential to be great or great trade chips. Plus they have decent management replacing the boys club.

So the steps are there to be good as early as next season, but more likely in a couple of seasons. Especially if they get Babcock.

That said, there is a lot of bad culture in place. Durability is a problem. Plus there are a crap tonne of holes on the roster.

Regardless. Any success they have is based on fluke luck going forward. Incompetence rewarded. Crappy.

So Babcock is likely out, and plan B seems to be McLellan is looking like the new guy.

Like a lot of former Oiler teams, the Oils have a lot of good pieces.  Does PC and Todd have enough sway to be able to re-create the culture?  Unless they gut the team, I am guessing they have a long way to go. 

Draisaitl looked like a great prospect, NHL ready, but failed to be able to translate his game to NHL quite yet. He benefitted by going back to junior, and seems like he has stepped it up in the playoffs.  Unless McDavid can immediately come in and be an NHL ready prospect, they are looking at the same kind of initial failings. No matter.  Next season will not be a playoff season.

Any smart GM is going to look to play Nurse at the AHL level for at least one season.  McDavid is going to have a lot of expectations in his frist season, so I hope for his sake, the fans are patient.

I hate to say it, but McDavid will almost certainly be special.

Even if McDavid isn't generational and is just a regular point-per-game 1st line Center, the Oilers are looking pretty good.

Hall - McDavid - RW

LW - RNH - Eberle

This is the setup i hope the Flames can have moving forward.  Basically, 1 LW, 2 C, and 1 RW who are star players.  This gives the option to play 2 scoring lines or top load one line when necessary.  Right now, the Flames have;

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

We're missing that star RW and no, Hudler is not that star.  Hudler is an excellend complementary piece.

So Babcock is likely out, and plan B seems to be McLellan is looking like the new guy.

Last I heard, Babcock could still be very interested in coaching McDavid and coach closer to home in Saskatchewan.  Did anything change in the last few days?

Even if McDavid isn't generational and is just a regular point-per-game 1st line Center, the Oilers are looking pretty good.

Hall - McDavid - RW

LW - RNH - Eberle

This is the setup i hope the Flames can have moving forward.  Basically, 1 LW, 2 C, and 1 RW who are star players.  This gives the option to play 2 scoring lines or top load one line when necessary.  Right now, the Flames have;

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

We're missing that star RW and no, Hudler is not that star.  Hudler is an excellend complementary piece.

Last I heard, Babcock could still be very interested in coaching McDavid and coach closer to home in Saskatchewan.  Did anything change in the last few days?

General consensus is that they are waiting for the WC to finish before announcing Todd Mc.

Hall - McDavid - RW

LW - RNH - Eberle

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

Hudler may not be a "star" in the traditional sense, but he did finish in the Top 10 in league scoring this past season.

Hall - McDavid - RW

LW - RNH - Eberle

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

There is so few point per game centers(4) around How can you make a statement like this? (regular????)

28343935295ea39de6a5731404846b06.png

Taveres, Crosby, Seguin, and Malkin were the only centers able to accomplish this level, this past season. 

McLellan is reported for a day+ now to be the coach already to accept.

Just like Reimer is the ideal goalie for the Jets because he's Manitoba born.

& lest we forget, all Ontario born players dream of playing for the Maple leafs.

Hall - McDavid - RW

LW - RNH - Eberle

Gaudreau - Monahan - RW

LW - Bennett - RW

Just because Johnny was able to score 64 points in his first 80 game season, doesn't mean every player is capable of reaching that. Johnny was used to playing bigger guys and finding his space for his whole career.

McD will come in as a 18 year old (assuming he plays this year) only ever playing guys his age and size.

He will face the same issues Nuge and Hall did, playing most of his games in the big bad west.

Anyone expecting 70-90 points from a rookie center is dreaming, especially playing on a Oilers team. They only score so many goals. Even if the top line scores 80+ goals (assuming McD plays on a 1st line), he won't be in on every goal scored.

About the Flames:

Johnny with Bennett and Hudler could be even better than having Mony on it. Mony could be the #1 line with Poirier and Granlund (or some other LW) and you have 2 pretty darn good scoring lines. Hudler was close to a p/gp player this past season, and the way he plays with new recruits, could be a big help to Bennett.

In this case, there is a blurry line between 1dt and 2nd, as either could be considered as such; similar minutes. Your 3rd and 4th become shutdown/energy lines.

There is so few point per game centers(4) around How can you make a statement like this? (regular???

Taveres, Crosby, Seguin, and Malkin were the only centers able to accomplish this level, this past season. 

McLellan is reported for a day+ now to be the coach already to accept.

Well, because "generational" is greater than "point-per-game".  If McDavid isn't generational, then perhaps he can become just a regular point-per-gamer.  Do you suddenly have to be generational to be point-per-game now or something?

In terms of McLellan, *phew* i thought the Oilers are about to land Babcock.   McLellan is a good coach but he couldn't win the big one with one of the best rosters in the NHL the past 10 years.

Just like Reimer is the ideal goalie for the Jets because he's Manitoba born.

& lest we forget, all Ontario born players dream of playing for the Maple leafs.

It depends on the person.  Some like to be closer to home while others don't.  I don't know Babcock but by the sounds of reports, being closer to Saskatchewan was named as one of the factors.

Just because Johnny was able to score 64 points in his first 80 game season, doesn't mean every player is capable of reaching that. Johnny was used to playing bigger guys and finding his space for his whole career.

McD will come in as a 18 year old (assuming he plays this year) only ever playing guys his age and size.

He will face the same issues Nuge and Hall did, playing most of his games in the big bad west.

Anyone expecting 70-90 points from a rookie center is dreaming, especially playing on a Oilers team. They only score so many goals. Even if the top line scores 80+ goals (assuming McD plays on a 1st line), he won't be in on every goal scored.

About the Flames:

Johnny with Bennett and Hudler could be even better than having Mony on it. Mony could be the #1 line with Poirier and Granlund (or some other LW) and you have 2 pretty darn good scoring lines. Hudler was close to a p/gp player this past season, and the way he plays with new recruits, could be a big help to Bennett.

In this case, there is a blurry line between 1dt and 2nd, as either could be considered as such; similar minutes. Your 3rd and 4th become shutdown/energy lines.

What does this have anything to do with what I posted?

I'm just saying, it would be awesome to have 4 star players on the top two lines, preferrably 1 LW, 2 C, and 1 RW.  That would give our lines maximum flexibility.

Yes, Poirier could very well emerge as that RW.  Maybe Hudler continues to show us more next season than he did this season.  In which case, we don't have to look at a trade or UFA signing.

What does this have anything to do with what I posted?

I'm just saying, it would be awesome to have 4 star players on the top two lines, preferrably 1 LW, 2 C, and 1 RW.  That would give our lines maximum flexibility.

Yes, Poirier could very well emerge as that RW.  Maybe Hudler continues to show us more next season than he did this season.  In which case, we don't have to look at a trade or UFA signing.

You specifically referred to McDavid as a p/gp player or better. I read into it that you meant starting off. I gave you some reasons why achieving that in his first year is doubtful.

Hudler doesn't really need to show more to be considered a "star" player. If he meets his total from this year, then he is most likely a top ten guy.

Crosby and Mcdavid put up similar totals in junior, the only difference is crosby plays in the east. Mcdavid will most likely end up in the western conference, as we all know the west is a different game then the east. If Mcdavid ends up playing 1st line or 2nd line minutes for edmonton next year with hall, and whoever they decide to put on RW. How do you see him stacking up against Getzlaf, Sedin, Toews, Backes etc. Its gunna be a rough season for him I think just as TD said. He hasent been lights out against the generals in the OHL finals, and they play a similar game to the West.

Crosby and Mcdavid put up similar totals in junior, the only difference is crosby plays in the east. Mcdavid will most likely end up in the western conference, as we all know the west is a different game then the east. If Mcdavid ends up playing 1st line or 2nd line minutes for edmonton next year with hall, and whoever they decide to put on RW. How do you see him stacking up against Getzlaf, Sedin, Toews, Backes etc. Its gunna be a rough season for him I think just as TD said. He hasent been lights out against the generals in the OHL finals, and they play a similar game to the West.

There are so many bigger, stronger centers in the west, and ones that line up against a guy of McDavid's size quite easily. Think Sedin, Kopitar, Carter, Getzlaf, Kesler, Toews, Jumbo Joe, Little Joe, Berglund, Backes....I could go on and on.  McDavid may find some space and be able to score on the rush, assuming he is not stuck against the boards.

You specifically referred to McDavid as a p/gp player or better. I read into it that you meant starting off. I gave you some reasons why achieving that in his first year is doubtful.

Hudler doesn't really need to show more to be considered a "star" player. If he meets his total from this year, then he is most likely a top ten guy.

i didn't mean starting off.  I meant as just a base/foundation moving forward.

Why does it have to be this thread that we agree with each other on? lol.

They have an astounding amount of promise right now.  So much, that even their track record is not enough to discount it.

The question is, was this a case of rewarding incompetence?

Or was this the plan all along, ever since the arena deal?

Interesting how management was changed exactly one day after the lottery.   

Must have only taken them the one day to sort that out?

Why does it have to be this thread that we agree with each other on? lol.

They have an astounding amount of promise right now.  So much, that even their track record is not enough to discount it.

The question is, was this a case of rewarding incompetence?

Or was this the plan all along, ever since the arena deal?

Interesting how management was changed exactly one day after the lottery.   

Must have only taken them the one day to sort that out?

I heard some $ stores are selling aluminum foil cheap. :)

Both teams have promise & good youth. 1 turned that into a 2nd round playoff spot while the other is ready to add yet another 1/1 OA to the stable.

How long do you think it'll take a new GM (axed because the Bruins missed the missed the playoffs for the 1st time since 2007 while he inherited a pretty good team) , the newest superstar & even a hotshot coach that his team allowed to depart to turn a loser into a winner. Hall is now 23 & plays for TC while better teams compete for the SC.

Sewer to penthouse takes how long? Is it worth that wait of adding 1/1s over seeing a competitive team?

Just win a Cup and it's worth it.

I said competitive.

Every year 16 teams have a chance @ the SC. Being in the lottery to see who selects the next potential superstar means you are not 1 of those 16.

Lose to win has such of a negative connotation. I'll try to rephrase it.

Sewer to street level? After that if you move to the penthouse without bathing you still carry that stench. To hockey fans any Pens cup carries an "*".

From the old days does hang around to member work (Carty will understand that & likely agree that is a promotion you don't want). :)

Regarding the rest of my post which of the current lineups/management (even if the Oilers land Babcock as their head coach) do you see most likely to be playoff bound next season? I'll even let you pick 2 of the 3.

Jets, Flames, Oilers.

I don't think any of the three win a cup next season. And I think any of the three could easily make or miss the playoffs.

In terms of players they are building around:

Flames:

Gaudreau-Monahan-X

X-Bennett-X

Giordano-Brodie

Russell-X

Jets:

X-Schiefele-X

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Morrissy-Myers

Oil:

Hall-McDavid-Eberle

X-RNH-X

(Draisaitl)

Nurse-X

X-X

All have decent young cores. Edmonton is a lot of flash. Winnipeg is a lot of substance. Calgary is in the middle. But all are pretty good starting points to build around.

Archived