Louis23

Honestly I don't believe a lot of these guys are busts.

I don't care what Eakins says, they are a young team.  24/25 years old is your prime.  28ish is your prime for hockey.  I think we'll see improvements in guys like Yak & Schultz.  Whether it's in Edmonton, or elsewhere.  Probably the latter unfortunately.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an Oilers item of note, but could be an option for the.

"Rene Bourque placed on waivers by Montreal". He was lazy on the Flames, and was in the doghouse lately in Montreal. He could add some experience to the Oilers team, even if he is not a great competitor. Fits their team, I guess. :)

Honestly I don't believe a lot of these guys are busts.

I don't care what Eakins says, they are a young team. 24/25 years old is your prime. 28ish is your prime for hockey. I think we'll see improvements in guys like Yak & Schultz. Whether it's in Edmonton, or elsewhere. Probably the latter unfortunately.

I dnt think the are busts either. Schultz still shows you a lot of talent but he also shows a complete distaste for playing in his own zone and unfortunately the oilers did nothing about it they just kept trotting him out and still do. I agree that's rid more the talent around the young kids and the goaltending that are the issues in Edmonton not the young kids and I agree at this point I'm not sure how you get Schultz to change his ways without changing his environment. You can bench him or limit his ice the, which they should do, but how is he going to react? This is probably what I like the most about Hartley is he balances tough love with bring supportive very well. If Gaudrea, Baertschi, Monahan or Brodie where struggling he had no problem either taking them out or not playing them he didn't just trot then out without consequence. The oilers have not done that partly due to coaching but also management. Management did a poor job of providing any options outside the kids. Coaches were forced to play them.

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer have a doubt that this lengthy Oilers rebuild is by design. They (KLowe and company) are trying to build the old Oilers with new #1 picks. ie: Hall is the new Messier, McDavid will be the new Gretzky,  Eberle supposed to be the Tikkinen or Kurri and so on...

Schultz won't be the next Coffey. They have no Fuhr

It makes the most sense. Why else would they trade way players like Smid to keep the team Defensively deficient?

Fail on the grandest scale..

I no longer have a doubt that this lengthy Oilers rebuild is by design. They (KLowe and company) are trying to build the old Oilers with new #1 picks. ie: Hall is the new Messier, McDavid will be the new Gretzky,  Eberle supposed to be the Tikkinen or Kurri and so on...

It makes the most sense. Why else would they trade way players like Smid to keep the team Defensively deficient?

Deeds I am not sure it is a designed failure but it is an Epic failure for sure. I posted on another thread that do to EDM and FLA'S inabilities to get out of the cellar with their draft choices, they should be moved to the bottom of the pecking order. 

It is blatantly obvious that top picks don't help, it is a management, scouting issue

Wasn't RNH supposed to be the next Gretzky? :lol:

Just stopped by the oilers boards. That is one depressed fan base, things are borderline apocalyptic. Sounds like they want everyone fired, including MacT. Dark days in oiler land. Next game is tomorrow against the hawks. In my mind this is a do or die game, not for their playoff hopes (already dead), but for Eakins. If they can make a statement and beat the Hawks for their first western conference win, he survives. If they lose, they will have gone 0-4-1 for this homestand, which is unacceptable everywhere. Worse case scenario is they lay another egg and lose 3-0 or worse. This will prove to everyone who isn't already convinced that Eakins has lost the room completely. Can't see him surviving that.

I watch the OIler's play it is better than the comedy channel. The only positive's are the fans. This whole organization is dysfunctional from top to bottom.

Katz has the perfect storm in EDM. The fans support them out of fear.  They don't have to be good to make money. Really if they were in the top of the league it would cost more to have better players. The Fans want wins but Katz's saves money on salary cap yet maximizes profits, in a business world it is about MAKING MONEY.

Some have called Katz a terrible owner, but he isn't. If win's were dollars he wold change. He makes money by seat sales. As bad as the Oiler's have been the rink is still full, winning isn't going to make him any more money.

I watch the OIler's play it is better than the comedy channel. The only positive's are the fans. This whole organization is dysfunctional from top to bottom.

Katz has the perfect storm in EDM. The fans support them out of fear.  They don't have to be good to make money. Really if they were in the top of the league it would cost more to have better players. The Fans want wins but Katz's saves money on salary cap yet maximizes profits, in a business world it is about MAKING MONEY.

Some have called Katz a terrible owner, but he isn't. If win's were dollars he wold change. He makes money by seat sales. As bad as the Oiler's have been the rink is still full, winning isn't going to make him any more money.

Being a play-off team and having the ability to fill the seats of the new arena they are planning, Would help move it along faster I would imagine. No matter what ANYONE says winning fills your pockets faster. Seat sales are alot but so is merchandise revenue and their merch is being tossed onto the ice right now. 

Long time friends of mine that ive talked to that are edmonton fans are absolutely disgusted by their team, barely even watch a 1/4 of the games because everytime they turn on the game they are losing.

You can't tell me edmonton is making more money then the chicago blackhawks.

Being a play-off team and having the ability to fill the seats of the new arena they are planning, Would help move it along faster I would imagine. No matter what ANYONE says winning fills your pockets faster. Seat sales are alot but so is merchandise revenue and their merch is being tossed onto the ice right now. 

Long time friends of mine that ive talked to that are edmonton fans are absolutely disgusted by their team, barely even watch a 1/4 of the games because everytime they turn on the game they are losing.

Katz doesn't get concessions & such @ Rextall but will get everything in the new barn. A gold mine.

But even now playoffs mean big $s. The players are on salary so aren't paid during playoffs (most teams give bonuses for each round advanced) & tickets cost more then regular season. For budget teams even 1 round is the difference between a small profit & losses. For a money maker like the Oilers it's gravy.

If the seats are sold with a losing product how does he make more $. He only gets seat sales, merchandising is nothing. With CHI and EDM, all things being equal( rink capicty and prices) .

Chi has a payroll of $70 Mill EDM has one of $65 million. Both rinks are sold out at same value, Katz is $5 million ahead. FF is correct Katz gets it all when they move, than you may see him kick some people to the curb.

Really  would Katz care that 5 of your buddies don't watch anymore, when there are 20 behind them waiting to get in. There is still a demand to watch an inferior team. If the new rinks capacity is 10% more and you have a 20% demand for tickets, how does he lose. Plus as FF says than he gets concession and merchandise, WOW. Than you may see a huge panic to fix the club as it will have effect his overall bottom line. Those with money and those without always want more.

If winning was the only intangible to $ value than he should panic but it isn't. Winning doesn't make him more and losing hasn't cost him a thing, why change for the sake of change.

If the seats are sold with a losing product how does he make more $. He only gets seat sales, merchandising is nothing. With CHI and EDM, all things being equal( rink capicty and prices) .

Chi has a payroll of $70 Mill EDM has one of $65 million. Both rinks are sold out at same value, Katz is $5 million ahead. FF is correct Katz gets it all when they move, than you may see him kick some people to the curb.

Really  would Katz care that 5 of your buddies don't watch anymore, when there are 20 behind them waiting to get in. There is still a demand to watch an inferior team. If the new rinks capacity is 10% more and you have a 20% demand for tickets, how does he lose. Plus as FF says than he gets concession and merchandise, WOW. Than you may see a huge panic to fix the club as it will have effect his overall bottom line. Those with money and those without always want more.

If winning was the only intangible to $ value than he should panic but it isn't. Winning doesn't make him more and losing hasn't cost him a thing, why change for the sake of change.

Not exactly true, keep in mind Katz earns in CAD and pays in USD, so that 65 million with todays exchange actually is above the 70 million of the Hawks.  

Not exactly true, keep in mind Katz earns in CAD and pays in USD, so that 65 million with todays exchange actually is above the 70 million of the Hawks.  

But Alberta teams have an advantage in lower taxes. Hawks pay bigger $S but still get more bang for the buck.

BTW, all salaries are paid in US $s but the NHL gives compensation to = the difference when there is 1. That levels the field so doesn't cost Katz (or other Cnd owners).

But Alberta teams have an advantage in lower taxes. Hawks pay bigger $S but still get more bang for the buck.

BTW, all salaries are paid in US $s but the NHL gives compensation to = the difference when there is 1. That levels the field so doesn't cost Katz (or other Cnd owners).

+1 thanks FF

Firing Eakins doesn't fix anything. There isn't coach out there that can fix that team. There needs to be movement of players to rock that crap to the core. It won't happen soon, but it has too.

and the other side of that coin is that the entire league knows just how primadonna the only trade-able assets are, and won't touch them with a 10-foot hockey stick

Granted, firing Eakins likely won't fix things. But it is easy to do, and I'm not convinced that Eakins is the coach for this group anyway. Fact is, the fans are out for blood, and they demand a sacrifice. Firing the coach would placate the mob without jeopardizing the future, and would buy the club some time to make rational moves that make sense rather than stumbling into a bad deal.

The downside is that the right decisions will not be easy, and I'm not sure MacT has the ability as a GM to make the right moves. Furthermore, he hired Eakins and may not be willing or able to swallow his pride and take this (imo) necessary first step to fixing what ails this team.

Granted, firing Eakins likely won't fix things. But it is easy to do, and I'm not convinced that Eakins is the coach for this group anyway. Fact is, the fans are out for blood, and they demand a sacrifice. Firing the coach would placate the mob without jeopardizing the future, and would buy the club some time to make rational moves that make sense rather than stumbling into a bad deal.

The downside is that the right decisions will not be easy, and I'm not sure MacT has the ability as a GM to make the right moves. Furthermore, he hired Eakins and may not be willing or able to swallow his pride and take this (imo) necessary first step to fixing what ails this team.

Firing the coach lets the players off without a scratch. Primadonnas 3, Coaches 0.

If they hired Balsma, he would scratch Jultz. Can't scratch a Norris-calibre ( :o ).

Players might have to be accountable. Can't puts the inmates back in their place when they have had full reign.

The Oilers need to shake it up, give the team a jolt. And by shake it up I mean trading one of the young super"stars". Only one worth keeping for the Oilers is Hall, the rest aren't putting in as much of an effort. Sad to see the oilers here after the years of Smyth/Moreau, the kids really need a mentor and not be the leaders of this team, they aren't ready and were never groomed properly. 

I'm not saying don't trade any of the young guys, but doing so right now will probably not net a good return and would be more of a panic decision (like trading phaneuf to Toronto). You need to buy some time, and Eakins is out of his depth anyway, so I still say canning him is the right decision. Then in a few weeks you can make one of those block-buster trades. Maybe move Eberle for meyers or something.

I do agree they need to trade one of Ebs, Hall, or Nuge. Those three have formed their own version of an old boys club imo. Trading one would send a message to the rest of the team that no one (players anyway) is untouchable in a way that no other traded player could (Yak, Perron, Petry won't cut it).

Archived